Tell me about a random unsolved mystery in your life....

(911 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 15-Apr-14 21:23:34

....inspired by the intriguing threads thread!

Does anyone have a mini-mystery, or a story they want to know the end to? We can all supply improbable answers grin

Here's mine....

DH and I go for a walk around the block most nights before bed <life on the edge>. Almost every night, at a particular point in the neighbouring street, there is an 'offering' of baked goods in the road.

Sometimes it is bread rolls. Sometimes, baguette. Once, about 8-9 Mr Kipling's Bakewell tarts. Just lying there in the road.

At first we thought it was for hedgehogs, but then the cakes? And in the road?? confused

What's your unsolved mystery?

ColdCottage Thu 18-Sep-14 00:27:09

Not very exciting compared to most but my large metal sieve disappeared about 8 months ago. My house has a small kitchen and is only 1 of two rooms down stairs, with only 5 rooms in the whole cottage plus the two hall ways. I've looked everywhere. I would never take it outside, poof its just gone hmm

Ormally Wed 17-Sep-14 23:55:45

PS - the detailed picture drawn in the night; this reminded me rather uncomfortably about an occasion where a friend of mine, about 14, had taken some soft illegal substances and I watched him draw (in marker pen on a white table, unfortunately) a really fascinating and detailed picture in what looked like a bit of a trance. Wouldn't really have ever expected him to do a similar thing while not under the influence. It couldn't have been down to something like that, could it?

Ormally Wed 17-Sep-14 23:51:00

This is perhaps a solved mystery, but something strange nevertheless (and sailing close to outing self). About 13 years ago, I bought a very slim volume of a book in a 2nd hand shop. The book itself goes back quite a few years and is very out of print. It's something I have a love-hate relationship with, as it should really grate on me but I find it deep and hilarious too. It is written by someone using a one-word pseudonym and for years I wished I knew who it was because I wanted to see if he'd written any more (it was pretty easy to guess it was a 'he').

Fast forward to about 4 years ago, I'd moved and was living in a different county. It was my last day in a job that had made me extremely unhappy and I was this close to actually walking out without a word on that day. I got talking to someone who came in to hotdesk at a computer, who I didn't know well, and ended up talking about this book. I recommended it as it had a bit of a resonance with what we'd been discussing, and spelt out the one word name. I also mentioned a passage in it referring to the writer rarely seeing his 2 sons due to an endless cycle of commuting.

From behind me came the sound of a correction of the spelling. It was my line manager (and this was very typical of the nit picking I'd been used to so no alarm bells were rung even then). I obediently repeated the right spelling, slightly sarkily. Line manager then proceeded to ask me a couple of things about the edition I'd bought. It turns out Single-word-pseudonym is his father. He assumed I'd brought this up to take the piss a little, but I swear I had never been so shocked in my life to have been handed that revelation just out of the blue.

flickyhairredlippy Sun 14-Sep-14 12:43:58

This thread is the BEST THREAD EVER!

I have one: I had a ring that I was given as an early teenager. I wore it to school. Every PE lesson, I took it off and put it on a chain around my neck. One afternoon, we went to play netball. I put it around my neck as usual. After getting changed I went to take it off my necklace, the clasp was still firmly closed.. but no ring. where did it go?

still annoys me.

Excitedforxmas Sun 10-Aug-14 23:38:59

I bought some new undies and hid them in a cupboard. They just disappeared. ! Have to this day never found them

percythepenguin Sun 10-Aug-14 23:25:29

I had a great uncle who was a bit of a black sheep, my Grandfather once told my mum that the Uncle had done something very bad when he was younger but that he wouldn't tell us what it was and the secret would go to his grave with him. The great uncle has been dead for a few years but DGF is still alive, is nearly 90 and still won't tell. We do know the following about the great uncle- he once had an affair with a married woman and decided to shoot her husband to get rid of him, DGF had to remove the gun from his hands, he also got a woman pregnant, married her, then decided he didn't want to be married and came back home (to the other end of the country) without telling her and never had any contact with the child. Whatever he did must have been worse that either of those!

Pyjamaramadrama Fri 08-Aug-14 14:34:37

Mines a really boring one but I had two hoody tops, one was a Great Ormond Street Hospital one which I loved.

They disappeared from my house one day the two of them. About 4.5 years ago.

I always thought that they'd turn up, but since then the whole house has been decorated, new furniture, there was nowhere for them to hide. I rarely had visitors and noone would have been in my room.

The other thing I'd like to know is where all the tea spoons go...

ColdCottage Fri 08-Aug-14 12:56:54

Lost a necklace for about 4 years. Then one day it turned up in jewelry box (which I had checked a number of times). Asked family and no one had found it and placed it there.

My money is on fairies for this one grin

ColdCottage Fri 08-Aug-14 12:54:31

Our sieve just disappeared. We only have a small kitchen. I never take it out of the kitchen, not has DH. Checked all cupboard, nothing.
Very very odd.

SonorousBip Fri 08-Aug-14 11:45:25

Not woo at all but quite sweet. I have a reasonably unusual surname. Someone asked my mum if she was related to "X" Bip and when she said yes, (it was my aunt, my dad's sister) mum's friend said "you may like this". It was a lovely old hard backed prayer book which she had got from a charity shop, with my aunt's name in the front, which had been given to her by her parents - my grandparents - I think for her confirmation.

The book would have been given to her about 65 years ago. My aunt lives about 300 miles away. She is very ill now and has dementia, so we cannot ask her if she knows when she last saw it or when she gave it away.

IvyBeagle Fri 08-Aug-14 10:47:10

I may be able to explain some of the mysterious letters from odd places, we found quite a few when sorting out my late Grandad's papers, all from strangers. He was a keen stamp collector and people would ask friends to post things to him so he could have the stamp and post mark.

dustarr73 Wed 02-Jul-14 11:54:50

bump

We were there at the same time needs! Did you see the UFO?
I'd suggest a meetup but I am no longer in the area!
(This is where you both say " me neither, I'm in xyz" and I say "so am I!")

alemci Sun 22-Jun-14 08:51:50

this is getting interesting.

Needasilverlining Sun 22-Jun-14 08:47:24

Alemci and Bella, I'm from there too and had lots of friends at Bugs Worms and Insects! I'm 38.

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 12:16:26

don't know about UFO. Was the church the one in the Leslie place with connections to the Norman conquest? If so my mum goes and I got married there. I am 47 but have younger sibblings.

I'm 35 alemci, I used to go to the same church as the person's family. He's either 1 or 2 years younger than me - strange to think of him as a grown up.
Did you see the "UFO" in the area around 20 years ago?

I like to write cards/postcards with a 'proper' pen & on one holiday I was using a fountain pen my grandfather had left me. I dropped my bag in a Spanish theatre and contents went everywhere. Back in hotel room, I realised pen was missing & after checking it hadn't been handed in, I was sad I'd lost such a lovely old sentimental pen. Two weeks later, after returning home & going to visit my parents for the day, Mum went to her bureau & took out the 'missing' pen saying she had found it at hers a few days before. Never ever sussed that one!

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 08:37:07

I also met the chap we were talking about through a work situation but my dm knew of him as he knew the headmaster of secondary and I think he may have been friends with his son. my family are friendly with latter's family etc and my sibblings were in same school years as hm dc etc.

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 08:35:22

you are correct Bella. And you too. Just out of curiosity what age are you roughly.

I find where we are everyone knows someone and there is always a connection. This fits the mystery board doesn't it smile

Why yes I am, assuming the writer was called Leslie. Well fancy that! Good to "meet" you.

alemci Fri 20-Jun-14 23:09:42

Belle - are you from that place that is used as a title in a novel of a writer who only recently died smile

Yikes same here alemci

FellOffaDivingBoardinGuernsey Fri 20-Jun-14 13:48:50

I'm late to this thread - completely addictive and spooky. I've delurked and NC to add some of mine.

Not a mystery as such but related to some of the lost jewellery stories. I inherited my grandma's diamond and sapphire engagement ring after she died. Years ago we were on a peninsula in Cuba when a massive hurricane hit the Caribbean. We were evacuated in 20 minutes - we had to clear out our hotel room before being driven inland.

It was only later I realised I left my rings (including the diamond one) in the hotel room safe. It was a big hotel with lots of staff. We were in the middle of a hurricane and the island doesn't have much in the way of communication infrastructure at the best of times (at the time no-one except government workers had an email address or mobile phone - may still be the case) never mind when trees had collapsed across roads, phone lines were down, etc.

It was several days and we were about to fly back to England before I was able to contact the hotel and they found the rings and assured me they would return them safely to me. As you know Cuba is poor - theft from tourists is endemic. We had loads stolen while we were there - and we were staying in nice places. Two little rings were in a big damaged, flooded hotel in a remote part of a poor country that had been torn apart by a hurricane.

BUT. They got the rings back to the tourist office in Havana, a UK tour rep picked them up and couriered them back to me on return 2 weeks later.

6 weeks later I put the diamond ring down on the table in my living room. I have never seen it since. I have NO idea where it went. We were the only people in there (now-DH and I), living room was tiny, fitted carpet, day bed rather than a sofa (so no upholstery to conceal it). We moved out a few months later and turned the place upside down. Couldn't find it. I feel so guilty that I only recently confessed to my mother - over a decade later. She wasn't that bothered (it was her stepmother rather than her mother)...which brings me to another one.

I only recently found out that my grandfather married my grandmother (DM's step mum) only 3 MONTHS after my mum's mum died. She died suddenly as well and was quite young (though her DCs were adults). I asked my mum did they other wonder about the relationship my GF had with my (step)GM and when it started and she looked surprised and said no.

They are the kind of family that would never question that though. hmm

alemci Thu 19-Jun-14 22:30:54

indeed as I did and then to the senior one with the same first name I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now