Tell me about a random unsolved mystery in your life....

(911 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 15-Apr-14 21:23:34

....inspired by the intriguing threads thread!

Does anyone have a mini-mystery, or a story they want to know the end to? We can all supply improbable answers grin

Here's mine....

DH and I go for a walk around the block most nights before bed <life on the edge>. Almost every night, at a particular point in the neighbouring street, there is an 'offering' of baked goods in the road.

Sometimes it is bread rolls. Sometimes, baguette. Once, about 8-9 Mr Kipling's Bakewell tarts. Just lying there in the road.

At first we thought it was for hedgehogs, but then the cakes? And in the road?? confused

What's your unsolved mystery?

Sorry - and another (possible trigger)

What made my Father's Gt-Grandfather and two of his sons commit suicide? GGGf cut his own throat. Two months later one of his older sons did the same. Two weeks later another son threw himself under one of his own horses.
Rural location, agricultural family. Not a wealthy area, but not a poor area either.

alemci Sun 15-Jun-14 19:01:24

I know of a David Gosling in real life. He is around 30 and tall.

alemci - can't say about height as last time I saw him I was around 10. However, by my reckoning he'd be 45/46 by now.

alemci Mon 16-Jun-14 15:19:45

must be a different one. we live in north west london. he is blonde and 35 at the most I think.

Xcountry Mon 16-Jun-14 15:40:28

I had horse hair spewing out my exhaust for weeks. no idea how that happened. Cant have been caught in a belt and run through the engine because it would have knackered it so I don't understand it.

Definitely someone different, alemci - "my" one was of Asian/Indian origin.

MsBadcrumble Tue 17-Jun-14 06:10:16

When I was a child, I had a recurring nightmare about being stabbed in the back. It wasn't always stabbed, sometimes I would be being chased and I would fall, sometimes in the dream I would get the urge to jump off something high and end up on the ground but the dreams would end with an excruciating pain in the centre of my back that would make me squeeze my eyes shut and endure, until I woke up. The pain would always mark the end of the dream and usually the moment it started I would know I was dreaming. I never ever experienced the pain when awake and when I woke up I was usually distressed but always completely pain free. When I was little I had one of these dreams every couple of weeks and my parents always explained them away, saying I must have been lying on something or sleeping in a funny position. They never really took it seriously although after a dream I was often too distressed to go back to sleep again. They lessened as I got older until I was having the dreams ever few months, then about once a year. Until last week, i hadn't had one for more than 3 years (I am now 30). I mentioned this dream to my dad last week, and asked him if he remembered me having the dreams as a child. He then admitted that he did, but hadn't wanted to scare me so thought it best to play them down, and that he had had the exact same horrific dreams throughout his childhood and occasionally still has them now shock

ArtemisCake Tue 17-Jun-14 21:02:50

Xcountry - the hair is something to do with the silencer, we've had it happen on our car a couple of times and it looks so freaky.

Alemci - the David Gosling you know, was his dad a policeman?

alemci Thu 19-Jun-14 20:36:51

don't know but I think I know the school he went to.

Primary - Bugs, Worms & Insects?

alemci Thu 19-Jun-14 22:30:54

indeed as I did and then to the senior one with the same first name I think.

FellOffaDivingBoardinGuernsey Fri 20-Jun-14 13:48:50

I'm late to this thread - completely addictive and spooky. I've delurked and NC to add some of mine.

Not a mystery as such but related to some of the lost jewellery stories. I inherited my grandma's diamond and sapphire engagement ring after she died. Years ago we were on a peninsula in Cuba when a massive hurricane hit the Caribbean. We were evacuated in 20 minutes - we had to clear out our hotel room before being driven inland.

It was only later I realised I left my rings (including the diamond one) in the hotel room safe. It was a big hotel with lots of staff. We were in the middle of a hurricane and the island doesn't have much in the way of communication infrastructure at the best of times (at the time no-one except government workers had an email address or mobile phone - may still be the case) never mind when trees had collapsed across roads, phone lines were down, etc.

It was several days and we were about to fly back to England before I was able to contact the hotel and they found the rings and assured me they would return them safely to me. As you know Cuba is poor - theft from tourists is endemic. We had loads stolen while we were there - and we were staying in nice places. Two little rings were in a big damaged, flooded hotel in a remote part of a poor country that had been torn apart by a hurricane.

BUT. They got the rings back to the tourist office in Havana, a UK tour rep picked them up and couriered them back to me on return 2 weeks later.

6 weeks later I put the diamond ring down on the table in my living room. I have never seen it since. I have NO idea where it went. We were the only people in there (now-DH and I), living room was tiny, fitted carpet, day bed rather than a sofa (so no upholstery to conceal it). We moved out a few months later and turned the place upside down. Couldn't find it. I feel so guilty that I only recently confessed to my mother - over a decade later. She wasn't that bothered (it was her stepmother rather than her mother)...which brings me to another one.

I only recently found out that my grandfather married my grandmother (DM's step mum) only 3 MONTHS after my mum's mum died. She died suddenly as well and was quite young (though her DCs were adults). I asked my mum did they other wonder about the relationship my GF had with my (step)GM and when it started and she looked surprised and said no.

They are the kind of family that would never question that though. hmm

Yikes same here alemci

alemci Fri 20-Jun-14 23:09:42

Belle - are you from that place that is used as a title in a novel of a writer who only recently died smile

Why yes I am, assuming the writer was called Leslie. Well fancy that! Good to "meet" you.

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 08:35:22

you are correct Bella. And you too. Just out of curiosity what age are you roughly.

I find where we are everyone knows someone and there is always a connection. This fits the mystery board doesn't it smile

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 08:37:07

I also met the chap we were talking about through a work situation but my dm knew of him as he knew the headmaster of secondary and I think he may have been friends with his son. my family are friendly with latter's family etc and my sibblings were in same school years as hm dc etc.

I like to write cards/postcards with a 'proper' pen & on one holiday I was using a fountain pen my grandfather had left me. I dropped my bag in a Spanish theatre and contents went everywhere. Back in hotel room, I realised pen was missing & after checking it hadn't been handed in, I was sad I'd lost such a lovely old sentimental pen. Two weeks later, after returning home & going to visit my parents for the day, Mum went to her bureau & took out the 'missing' pen saying she had found it at hers a few days before. Never ever sussed that one!

I'm 35 alemci, I used to go to the same church as the person's family. He's either 1 or 2 years younger than me - strange to think of him as a grown up.
Did you see the "UFO" in the area around 20 years ago?

alemci Sat 21-Jun-14 12:16:26

don't know about UFO. Was the church the one in the Leslie place with connections to the Norman conquest? If so my mum goes and I got married there. I am 47 but have younger sibblings.

Needasilverlining Sun 22-Jun-14 08:47:24

Alemci and Bella, I'm from there too and had lots of friends at Bugs Worms and Insects! I'm 38.

alemci Sun 22-Jun-14 08:51:50

this is getting interesting.

We were there at the same time needs! Did you see the UFO?
I'd suggest a meetup but I am no longer in the area!
(This is where you both say " me neither, I'm in xyz" and I say "so am I!")

dustarr73 Wed 02-Jul-14 11:54:50

bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now