Tell me about a random unsolved mystery in your life....

(900 Posts)
RevoltingPeasant Tue 15-Apr-14 21:23:34

....inspired by the intriguing threads thread!

Does anyone have a mini-mystery, or a story they want to know the end to? We can all supply improbable answers grin

Here's mine....

DH and I go for a walk around the block most nights before bed <life on the edge>. Almost every night, at a particular point in the neighbouring street, there is an 'offering' of baked goods in the road.

Sometimes it is bread rolls. Sometimes, baguette. Once, about 8-9 Mr Kipling's Bakewell tarts. Just lying there in the road.

At first we thought it was for hedgehogs, but then the cakes? And in the road?? confused

What's your unsolved mystery?

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 15-Apr-14 21:59:56

Nursey it was already there when you got in to bed sorry. <Vom>

NurseyWursey Tue 15-Apr-14 22:00:31

How did I not notice a ball of poo sad

I still think about it, ten years on

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 15-Apr-14 22:02:18

I lost a brand new mobile phone while I was off sick from school and didn't leave the house for a week. No idea where it went and I couldn't have lost it outside as I didn't go outside. Never found it. Got into so much trouble for that and I have no idea how it happened.

NurseyWursey Tue 15-Apr-14 22:04:01

Oh also

I had a hamster, it was in a plastic cage (so not a cage really)

It went missing. I checked the cage thing, completely safe, no holes or anything. I checked it numerous times. Yet it was gone. Only me in the house. Nowhere to be seen.

Also my DP has a 'man room' and the light keeps coming on when we go out. We've even had the locks changed. Keeps coming on. Really annoying me now.

We have food appear round here too! Always next to the dog poo bin down the lane, for some reason. It varies from sausages, cobs and scotch eggs, to apple pies! I wonder if it's some kind of secret code...?

WilloughbyWallabyWoo Tue 15-Apr-14 22:08:13

I'm intrigued by a house that still has its Christmas tree up and tree lights on, all day. The tree is going brown now. Same happened last year and I wondered if something had happened to the owner, or maybe they were waiting for an anniversary to pass or someone to return home. But at some point in the year it came down and a new one went up at Christmas.

Ooh I have another once, pet related.

As a child/teen, we had a pet budgie. I came home one day, to find the budgie dead in the middle of the living room, and the dog hiding under the table looking very worried. The budgie didn't have a mark on it and looked like it had just fallen off something and died, so I don't think it was the dog (dog was petrified of the bird anyway!).

I digress... The budgie cage was shut. No gaps anywhere, no doors open, nothing. How the bloody hell did the bird get out of the cage? Never fathomed that one out either!

Harrin Tue 15-Apr-14 22:09:17

Mine isn't very interesting. I got a Valentines text about 2 years ago from an unknown number just saying 'Happy Valentines Day'. I went to work and showed my colleague who had the exact same text from the same number at the same time. Tried to ring it from work phone to find out who it was but nothing. I text back asking who it was and the person replied 'the mystery of Valentines Day. Regards to (dp name). Was weird!

What's with the random bakery items. on roads and pavements?

What a waste. sad

frangipan Tue 15-Apr-14 22:11:37

about six years ago someone pushed £70 in cash through our letter box, no envelope just a pile of £10 and £20 notes on the mat. No one owed us the money for anything, everyone we asked seemed genuinely surprised and denied all knowledge of it. It drives me less crazy these days,the not knowing. BUT WHO WAS IT????????

cafesociety Tue 15-Apr-14 22:12:38

No wonder there are giant rats about.

PickledEggMobile Tue 15-Apr-14 22:13:04

We have lost a couple of remotes. Absolutely no clue where they've gone, they have totally vanished. Ones the main one for the tv and we really could do with it back!

RhondaJean Tue 15-Apr-14 22:13:42

Last night I left to go to the gym with dd1. DH and dd2 followed about ten minutes later. The living room was in tact with two lights and two light shades.

When I got home one of the light shades was on the living room floor, the bulb was still in the holder and the ring which holds the shade in place was completely missing. DH and I have looked everywhere but it's not there.

confused

jonicomelately Tue 15-Apr-14 22:14:18

The food could be a Buddist offering. We have a few shops around here who leave food outside their doors as some sort of good fortune offering.

RevoltingPeasant Tue 15-Apr-14 22:14:59

Molly no way! See, this is in a suburban st so I know we're not seeing the same Abandoned Baked Goods!

Juliet I reckon the dog opened the cage somehow using previously undisclosed skills, bird flew out, dog desperately closes cage, too late, bird goes mad with freedom and dies of joy in middle of room.

I lost my car and door keys in my house once. Pre dd, single and lived alone.

Let myself in with the keys, next morning they were gone. Checked the bin, so they didn't go out with the rubbish, but never found them, even when I moved.

Exactly the same thing has happened to dsis, although she does have a somewhat naughty child, and has a also lost a house phone, so we are less hmmhmm about hers!grin

bottleofbeer Tue 15-Apr-14 22:17:01

My parents 25th wedding anniversary. They go to Greece for the week. While they're away my grandad drops a card in and asks me to give it to them on their return.

It's bigger than an average card and in a bright yellow envelope. I am the last up to bed that night and the first up and I know that bloody card was on the mantle piece when I went up. It's gone. I ripped the house apart looking for it. Knowing there is probably money in it, I'm broke and my parents know it. Really not wanting them to think I've nicked it in desperation.

I even ripped the bottom of the couch open to make sure it hadn't gone down the side into the bottom.

Never, ever found it. Moved house since then. Wasn't under the carpet etc...the kids were only little and a stair gate would have stopped them getting down in the night. No sign of a break in. My mum was unable to thank them if money had been in it because we didn't know for sure if there was and it would have looked weird thanking them for money they possibly didn't give.

I'm sure they think I took it but I swear with every atom of my being I did not. It really did just disappear.

Freewheelin Tue 15-Apr-14 22:18:31

My mum asked me to try and work out the identity of her mothers father. Her mum was illegitimate.
My mum had a surname she'd heard spoken of while she was hiding under the kitchen table as a child but no more.
I tracked down a possible through ancestry.co.uk but can never be absolutely sure. All the people who might know are dead now. Big gap in my family tree.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 15-Apr-14 22:18:36

When dd was born 8 years ago my mum received a 2005 royal mint coin thing and a newspaper cutting about those baby baths like a bucket. No card, no idea who from. Very odd.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 15-Apr-14 22:18:46

When I was 13 I lost my last baby tooth, it had been loose for ages as it was stuck to a piece of gum and was really annoying. I eventually managed to wriggle it free as I was standing by my sink (which was in my bedroom) one morning. I was bored and was idly colouring it in with some red biro when it slipped from my grasp and dropped down the plug hole. I even heard it clatter down the drain pipe and thought 'ah well, I'll never see that again, good riddance for being such a nuisance'. A week went by and I was hoovering my bedroom when I found the tooth (coloured in red biro) on the floor by the sink. It gives me the creeps as I heard it and saw it go down the plughole so how could it be on the floor next to the sink a week later?

allhailqueenmab Tue 15-Apr-14 22:21:29

Abandoned cakes: I think it is a religious thing.

1991: Valentine with hand drawing on front and inside, in cut out newspaper, "I think you're nice".
Who are you?

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 15-Apr-14 22:21:46

Bottleofbeer could it have fallen down the back of the mantelpiece? (Ours was a cheap one screwed into the wall so lots of things fell down the back, if yours was a proper one then this would probably have been difficult to manage though!)

minniebar Tue 15-Apr-14 22:22:52

Bottle - it probably slipped down the gap between the mantelpiece and the wall. It might still be there!

MistletoeBUTNOwine Tue 15-Apr-14 22:26:49

Porquoi I did that!
Found the phone INSIDE THE DICTIONARY! A big Oxford one.
Try checking in all your big books smile

bottleofbeer Tue 15-Apr-14 22:27:18

No, it was a very old fashioned one actually built into the wall. No gaps it could have fallen down. I only moved a few doors down and the man who bought the house used to call here and ask various questions about the house (where is XYZ kind of thing) and I actually mentioned it to him. The whole place got ripped out. We'd moved because of damp so floors and joists were replaced. So if it was still in the house it would have been found. He never did.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now