I made a complete tit of myself today and cannot stop cringing. Pat my shoulder

(232 Posts)
Gatekeeper Wed 20-Nov-13 16:49:17

...and say "there there"

In meeting today and part of it was a discussion about personal illnesses or conditions each of us has/had. I mentioned that most of my family - female side has an underactive thyroid and that I have yearly blood tests as mine is slowly getting there. I said "Thyroid" about ten times

Only I didn't...

I said "prostate" and wondered why the rest of them were looking at me like this hmm. I clocked what I'd said and said "No, not my prostate, my thryoid. I am actually a women, at least my husband thinks so" ending on a horrible, whinnying haw haw laugh that I haven't heard before.

Ended up doing a comedy wipe of my face, and knocked my glasses off, where they landed on the middle of the floor. I said "shite" when this happened and not quietly either.

Dear God...not one of them cracked a smile or reacted- just looked at me for a split second and then started talking about something else

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE..I am squirming in my seat just thinking about it

ghostinthetardis Wed 20-Nov-13 17:39:09

Thank you for sharing
grin
Oh and there there.

Hahahahahaaaa

Sorry, OP, that is just hilarious grin

Miserable gits. So much comedy wasted on them.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Wed 20-Nov-13 17:46:45

Rhonda Wanker? How on earth did she get Wanker from Mark?

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Wed 20-Nov-13 17:48:13

Oh and "there there" OP.

(I bet one of them has written 'DRUGS??' next to your name on their notes though)

MammaTJ Wed 20-Nov-13 17:48:53

I would have laughed at with you!! grin

LineRunner Wed 20-Nov-13 17:51:54

Oh ffs I actually hurt laughing. Gatekeeper, you are wonderful.

TotallyBursar Wed 20-Nov-13 18:14:22

I was just reading through thinking 'Well that's not too bad, every one gets words confused sometimes' and then I got to the comedy gold.

There, there. You sound great and they sound like arse parts for not taking the heat off you a bit. Comedy face wipe - that was genius I tell you - Genius.

HappyJustToBe Wed 20-Nov-13 18:16:17

You sound brilliant. Them, not so much.

NonnoMum Wed 20-Nov-13 18:19:48

sorry, but you've really cheered me up!

(I've got some corkers too - another time, one involves a loud drunken fart whilst vomiting in a restaurant full of people - I can't tell you about that, too embarrassing)

lifesgreatquestions Wed 20-Nov-13 18:22:21

This is great OP, and so is the other poster's mother's genital condition! Thanks both for the laugh! And there there it will be alright, you clearly have a good sense of humour. I managed to throw my glasses into the lap of the young man sitting next to me on a plane recently. He was fine with it but I went into hysterical laughing. I felt a little silly after.

MomentForLife Wed 20-Nov-13 18:25:53

Sooo funny! Don't worry what they think at work, sounds like they've all got the personality of a flea!

toffeesponge Wed 20-Nov-13 18:28:41

There there

You poor thing sad.

I suspect no one said anything as they were not wanting to add to your blush by acknowledging you had done something embarrassing. What would have been better was if someone picked up your glasses for you and said not to worry, we all get the wrong word sometimes.

Poor your self a large wine.

toffeesponge Wed 20-Nov-13 18:31:53

Pour, not poor. See I am so sorry for you I can't even get my words right.

Oh dear!

Maybe they were being very professional and then all wet themselves laughing when you left?

(I'm not sure if that's any better, but I'll post it anyway wink)

eeyore2911 Wed 20-Nov-13 18:44:04

Hahaha! Oh Dear bless ya! It does happen to the best if us... I had a job interview and had sat with my legs crossed for so long that when I stood up my leg was dead and I collapsed back into the chair and bounced off it onto the floor... This was after my carefully constructed PowerPoint presentation wouldn't work and I looked like a disorganised eejit blushneedless to say I did not get the job... x

QOD Wed 20-Nov-13 18:48:35

grin
Did you at least say prostate and not prostrate? As that's pacifically winkwhat customers tell me they have (medical insurance)

monal Wed 20-Nov-13 18:54:05

I laughed so hard the baby pulled off my boob and gave me a look of profound hurt.

randomfemale Wed 20-Nov-13 18:59:31

Oh dear I am sitting here with tears of laughter streaming down my face. Thank you so much for sharing Gatekeeper here's some thanks and a glass of wine and a HUGE pat grin

Tabby1963 Wed 20-Nov-13 19:16:12

'genital condition' 'William Shatner' grin

Gatekeeper, your thread has had me chuckling like mad for ages so that DH is concerned that I am having a fit lol.

MamaLazarou Wed 20-Nov-13 19:19:28

The other people in the meeting sound like po-faced bell-ends.

SugarandSpice126 Wed 20-Nov-13 19:21:25

This is BRILLIANT. Snorting with laughter. Would have paid good money to be there!!

Gatekeeper Wed 20-Nov-13 19:26:18

had some wine so feel a bit better...will be a different story when my eyes snap open at 3am!

I consider mysle wel pattd though

Gatekeeper Wed 20-Nov-13 19:27:58

myself well patted...that looks like it was written in Middle English grin

Taffeta Wed 20-Nov-13 19:30:12

I am crying with laughter grin

thanks op

Rollermum Wed 20-Nov-13 19:30:38

This thread is brilliant. I do this sort of thing a lot. I would share an example but I repress it all and if I try to think of one they'll all flood back at once and I'll cringe myself to death.

Oh no, here's one. I was trying to be good at networking at work and tried to say 'we are constantly dodging small children' because my office is near a place with lots of school trips. But I said 'we are constantly dogging small children'. And then I commented on the slip up because I feel it is best to acknowledge it. And no one laughed. Tumbleweed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now