Strangest complaint you've ever received

(321 Posts)
bdbfan Sat 26-Oct-13 12:54:54

Following on from the thread about ridiculous tourist complaints, what's the strangest complaint you've ever received?

I'll start, I run a small cafe, a lady ordered a toasted sandwich then asked for a refund because it was toasted. She said she didn't realise it would be heated in a new fangled thing and wanted something from the 90's.

I still have absolutely no clue about what she was after.

SpecialAgentFreyPie Sun 10-Nov-13 11:39:39

Once at the zoo with DC (mixed race) I was told that my hair was racist. confused Apparently braids are only for black people and I was mocking my DC... hmm

phdlife Sun 10-Nov-13 11:45:48

I was working in a university. First week in December (ie, right at end of first term), some guy phoned up demanding to start immediately. He'd been sent to the uk to study but had never applied to any university, his father was coming to visit, he had to be in a course by monday. He refused to accept that there was an application procedure, deadlines, fixed term times, etc - accused me of being racist for not letting him in. (Like it was up to the receptionist...)

phdlife Sun 10-Nov-13 11:48:22

Ha, I also once hd a woman taking free sugar sachets, but only the ones from company A, as company B's sugar "just wasn't as sweet". Because they were new. My explanations that (a) Company B just had new packaging but had actually been producing sugar 30 years, and (b) sugar is a pure chemical substance, fell on deaf ears. She took fistfuls of the things.

YoniGetAnOohWithTyphoo Sun 10-Nov-13 19:19:57

Saturday job: got shouted at and told I was a 'stupid, slow little girl' because I apparently hadn't ordered a product in that a customer ordered. Clearly, very amiss of me. Only problem is, I worked at Boots and the product he had apparently definitely ordered from me was a Superdrug's own brand...

Had to provide a calculator to a customer because he was convinced that the till wasn't adding properly.

Got screamed at for 10 minutes because I wouldn't honour the '500 advantage card points when you spend £25 or more on baby products'. The guy had bought a coffee maker.

Yep, it's true you never really hate people until you've worked in retail.

JammieCodger Mon 11-Nov-13 09:44:39

DumSpiroSpero, I wouldn't complain because I'm far too British, but I think I'd be a bit annoyed if I'd decliend to leave a name and number because I didn't want to be called back, only to be called back anyway. There could have been any number of reasons why he/she didn't want to be rung.

Livinginlimbo2 Mon 11-Nov-13 10:42:17

I used to work at a garden centre/hardware store.
One day an elderly gentleman, who was obviously very stressed, placed a large cardboard box on the counter. He lifted the lid to show me the contents; and asked ,"Could you recommend a tonic or something for this poor little fella?"
It contained a dead ( stiff) squirrel and a roasted chicken leg!

themidwife Mon 11-Nov-13 23:21:43

I once had a complaint from a woman that I "wasn't excited enough about her pregnancy". She wrote to the head of midwifery & I was sent on a customer service course. To learn how to say congratulations more "excitedly"!!

Another time I was taking a blood sample from a baby & the father stopped me & said "You're not doing that right." I asked him what his job was - a taxi driver. Errrrr??!!! confused

JessFox Mon 11-Nov-13 23:24:15

I had an older lady at work the other week get very upset because there was only one pool cue for her grandchildren to use and she demanded a refund. She just could not grasp the concept that pool can be played with just one cue. Not until my manager had to speak to her did she accept this.

A couple of years ago I worked in a Mediterranean Tapas bar, where I mixed cocktails. A customer asked for a Pina Colada (a frozen drink) with no ice. When I explained that the whole point of the Colada was that it was frozen she remarked that she was allergic to the water from the ice, she was also allergic to the bubbles in carbonated drinks?

neonLadybird Fri 29-Nov-13 20:20:54

I work in property management and we get lots of odd ones, two that come to mind are
1. The woman who complained about the smell of cooking from the restaurant below, erm well don't buy a flat above a restaurant love!
2. Someone phoned in the summer to complain about insects getting in through the open window. Ok so shall we kill all the insects in the world then? confused or you could close the window?

AmberSweet Sat 30-Nov-13 23:10:09

Compared to some of the ones of here this is nothing major but still gave me a bit of a confused face.

I work in retail (well known cheap department store) in the children's department. The other day a man came up to me and say this...

Customer:Excuse me where are the socks?
Me:Boys or girls?
Customer:No for me!
Me:Oh right sorry, just over there in the far Corner etc etc
Customer:Well that's a bloody stupid place to put them!

And he storms off. The thing is he wanted men's socks and I pointed him to direction of desired socks IN THE MENS SECTION! What was stupid about that? blush

Bearleigh Fri 06-Dec-13 13:56:33

I know someone who was in a traffic jam, queuing to get into a venue. The car ahead of him peeled off, so he assumed its driver knew a short cut, and followed it down little side roads... until it pulled into what was obviously its drive. He then started complang about its driver leading him up the garden path.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 06-Dec-13 14:25:37

I used to work for a gardening supplies company and the two best I can remember are:

A man writing in to complain that we sold squirrel food with a picture of a grey squirrel on it. According to him our company was singlehandedly responsible for the decline of the red squirrel. He finished saying that he hoped the company went bust and that we all ended up on the streets.

A very distraught chap phoned in to complain that our (essential oil based) greenfly killer had killed his weed. Yes, that's right. He had put an oil based substance on cannabis plants under heat lamps and was calling us to complain that his stash had been ruined...

OLittleTownOfBarflehem Fri 06-Dec-13 14:28:46

When I was a restaurant manager we had a whole Brixham Plaice on the menu

FOUR people complained that the head and bones were still in/on.

I had to smile sweetly and remove it for them.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 06-Dec-13 15:09:31

Oooo just remembered this one from my very first job:

I worked in a prison as a pinphone operator. A pinphone is a system where each prisoner is given a phone account with a pincode. They submit a list of people they want to call to the operator who updates and monitors the accounts. The list asks for a name, an address and the relationship to the prisoner. They buy credit from the canteen.

One day the switchboard lady put a call through to me from a furious girlfriend. She was cross because she sent her partner £10 each week for him to buy credit with. According to her we must have been stealing it because he never had enough to call her. She demanded an explanation.

He had been buying his £10 a week credit but had been using it all up calling the number marked as "wife" on his friends list!

CalamitouslyWrong Fri 06-Dec-13 15:22:04

Not a complaint aimed at me, but still awful.

My sister (who is a complete pain in the arse) ordered a pepperoni pizza in pizza express and then kicked up an almighty fuss when it arrived because she doesn't eat pork for religious reasons. She knows what pepperoni is; she's just an arsehole.

I wanted to apologise to the waiter and explain that everyone else on the table knew she was in the wrong, but that would have just made her more unreasonable and embarrassing. We left a big tip.

heronsfly Fri 06-Dec-13 15:36:48

I work at a pool. We are very family friendly,mixed changing rooms, family areas etc.
I once had a complaint from a very irate lady because she couldn't take her husband into the ladies showers, apparently it was discrimination because another lady had her son in there, the child must have been 2 at the most.

OnTheRunAndUpTheDuff Fri 06-Dec-13 19:05:13

Someone once called me to complain about the name of the organisation I worked for. Apparently it was a stupid name and she didn't know why we'd chosen it because she didn't know what it meant.

Then she demanded to know why the company had that name and hung up.

It was my second week there, I was exceedingly junior, and the company name predated me by about two years.

Stonehaven Mon 09-Dec-13 15:10:36

I work in a well known card shop (no, not that one, the other one). I had a customer a few weeks ago who wanted sone helium balloons blown up. So I blew them up. She wanted a refund because they were "too round" so another member of staff blew up another packet exactly the same and she was pleased as punch with them and complained about me on her way out.

A man came in a couple of days ago to ask where the humerous cards were. This was our exchange:
Me "christmas or birthday?"
Him "I just want to know where the funny cards are"
Me "yes but would you like christmas or birthday?"
Him (getting irate) "WHERE ARE THE HUMEROUS CARDS?"
ME "at the back on the left"
Him "are you sure?"
Me facepalm

People are always asking me "do you have any more of these in the back?" When I tell them we don't, they get all huffy and insist I ask another member of staff as I clearly have no idea. Drives me mad!

imposter1984 Sat 14-Dec-13 17:04:52

I work for a customer service line in a call centre.

I had a guy phone up because he shared a device with his girlfriend and needed to wipe the browser history. He had wiped the device on his device but not on his browser from a company we shall call ooggle. He wanted to know why I couldn't do this. I wanted to know why he needed the browser history deleted ;)

Another woman wanted to order in the UK store and get it delivered to Germany, as opposed to ordering in the German store. All because it was cheaper.

Another woman made a complaint because she was reading the prices wrong (the price BEFORE vat) and I was confusing her by telling her the right price. I was also putting a sale through and halfway through reading out her card number she screeched "NO THAT'S NOT IT, IT IS...." and then proceeded to ask me why I had gotten her card number wrong. I explained I was reading it extra slowly so she could be understood.

Today I had a man who had a discount promo code. He wanted to purchase a product that I knew was disqualified for the code he had. He read out "can not be used to buy... (the product he wanted to buy) and then couldn't understand why it wouldn't work. He read it out to me FOUR times and hung up in a huff.

ots Wed 01-Jan-14 22:37:21

I was in Boots once choosing some shampoo, which was near the till. A man asked me where the toothpaste was, and I politely told him I didn't know!

He then stormed up to the till and told them that it was terrible that a member of staff didn't know their way around the shop and should be better trained. The till lady looked over at me and told the man that I didn't work there. He left with a red face grin

alwaysworryingmum Fri 10-Jan-14 18:08:48

This thread has cheered me up on a bad day.

Not work related but living with a serial complainer was hell.

Complaints from a former housemate.

'you turn off your light switch too loudly' - wtf?

'the toilets blocked again - is someone going to deal with it?' -she's the only one been there all weekend - we all know she blocked it again....

'why have you moved the furniture back - I don't like it like that' -we all use the front door, she parks her car in the garage and enters via the garage door. She's moved the sofa in front of the front door (which everyone else uses) so we can't get in...

Male housemate has winter vomiting sickness and she moans that he's vomiting too loudly and asks him to be quieter?!

Storms into the kitchen of a shared house with 3-4 other residents - 'someone is using the washing machine and I need to use it NOW' - then the washing machine door gets mysteriously broken and needs fixing.

It was every conversation I ever had with her. She moaned about everything and was forever making complaints on her mobile etc. She had the most miserable look on her face and was really hard to live with.

We had a huge goodbye party the day after she moved out. She wasn't invited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now