Things that you used to do as a child repetitively and now think "WTF?!"

(419 Posts)

The hot chocolate thread got me thinking about this. For some reason, I used to tip a full glass of water onto the carpet, the same patch of carpet, every single day. No clue why. I was asked to stop, but I just did it anyway confused

I ate chalk too, like the chalk kids draw with. Both of these things happened until high school age?!

Anything utterly random and repetitive you may have done?

MacaYoniandCheese Wed 18-Sep-13 23:53:07

No, no, no. Tic-Tacs are 'tablets'. DB and I used to pretend to ration them out, OAP-style, to be taken at regular intervals throughout the day.

We also used to suck the coloured candy-coating off of smarties, until they were all white, and then put them back in the tube to enjoy later.

YY to finger sewing. The genesis of my life-long propensity for various minor self-mutilation projects.

Charlottehere Wed 18-Sep-13 23:55:04

Your all weird I never picked my nose an wiped it on parents orange sofa

I loved peeling PVA glue off my hands.

I also liked to pick the feathers out of pillows if they were sticking out and would hunt all over my pillow for feathers to pull out.

Pulling apart the cuffs on my school jumpers was lovely - I think lots of us did it and it must have driven our parents mad.

My parents had a pair of upholstered chairs with tassels. If you pulled the right bit of the tassel it would come apart. My parents now have a pair of upholstered chairs without tassels.

Buswanker Wed 18-Sep-13 23:56:42

I knew a kid who ate dog biscuits it was my friends little sister. It entertained us for ages, we would feed her lots of my dad's puppies food and get her to bark like a dog. She voluntarily slept in their dog bed. When their mum came to pick them up from a sleepover she was not happy to find out she had shared a bed with six puppies and their mum, she had bits of fur stuck all over her.

My brother had a bogey collection on the end of his bed, I got jealous and started my own but eventually my mum found them and wiped them off.

I also knew a kid who collected farts in a jar. If you asked she would sometimes open it and you could sniff one.

Still18atheart Wed 18-Sep-13 23:58:26

I used to lick the underside of those leather fabric bookmarks.

I was fascinated and still am by indentations. Espeically ones on the carpet left by furniture anywhere really.

Sparklyboots Wed 18-Sep-13 23:58:59

God, I feel so normal.reading this,.it's ace. I flannel sucked, ate bits of books, chewed the skin off the side.of my nails. I had a narrator (still do) but also a.prompt: if I.ever notice the narration has stopped, I.ask myself, 'and what did Sparkly do then?' My brother and I ate Winalot dog biscuits dipped.in curry sauce for breakfast if my parents had got a take away the night before. I endlessly set up little predictive exercises along the lines.of, 'if I.reach the.lamppost before that car it means that x will be so'. I still.do that reflexively if there's a stressful unknown, e.g. get the job, get pregnant...

I used to do lots of these especially sucking flannels, chewing paper, picking wall paper, sewing fingers, I also used to love dipping my fingers in melted candle wax letting it harden then peeling it off.

I have noticed that my dd (4.5) has started sucking the flannel, making dolls clothes from toilet paper and cleaning the tiles round the bath with her sponge grin

Buswanker Thu 19-Sep-13 00:00:11

Oh and my brothers friend regularly blew his nose on the carpet. He said he couldn't be bothered to get a tissue even thought the carpet of choice was further away than the bathroom where the tissue was and he had to lie down on the floor in the right position to do it.

MyLovelyMayoMammy Thu 19-Sep-13 00:07:05

This is disgusting and i am thoroughly ashamed. I used to blow my nose on my baby sisters clothes. While she was wearing them. My two brothers thought it was hilarious. It was just convenient for me. I also used to pinch them so that when they cried i could comfort them and do it again.

ANomNomNom Thu 19-Sep-13 00:08:20

I still do the dipping my fingers in melted wax thing. confused

I think my kids are much less prone to pick, fiddle, break and generally mess with things than me and my brothers were.

headsspinningforachange Thu 19-Sep-13 00:09:15

I use to chew the wood on my bed , it tasted like bananas confused

I use to drink vinegar

I would get nosebleeds all the time & at night instead of going to my parents I would sit in the hall rocking back n forth until I fell asleep , they often found me asleep outside their room in a pool of blood , I did this for ten years at least once a week hmm confused blush

ToysRLuv Thu 19-Sep-13 00:15:22

I used to covertly "write" in the air random words or names I was thinking about.

MsPickle Thu 19-Sep-13 00:21:37

MackYoni yy to Smarties!

Re 'bathroom water'- I had the same thing for a very long time until DMum said somewhere "oh you can drink that, it's on the mains". Turns out it's because lots of bathrooms were/are fed from tanks in the loft which may/may not be covered properly.

So now, I think every time, "mains or not"

Even in my own bathroom. Where I've lived for several years.

Drinking drinks made by mixing toothpaste and water. Yum yum yum.

Primrose123 Thu 19-Sep-13 00:30:29

Wow, I can't believe how many of you ate paper and other weird things!

I didn't do anything too weird, but I did climb the stairs on all fours (and still do if I'm honest).

When I was in labour I was really thirsty but they wouldn't let me have a drink. DH gave me a cold flannel for my forehead, and I sucked the water out. It was fantastic.

DaleyBump Thu 19-Sep-13 00:36:41

I used to mix talc and water together to make "moisturiser". hmm

PowerPants Thu 19-Sep-13 00:44:54

Pick the little woody bits out of woodchip wallpaper. Do they still even MAKE woodchip?

Use so much talc the whole bathroom floor went white. That one used to drive my mum crazy.

Only eat the pastry out of pork pies and give my dad the meat.

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 19-Sep-13 01:12:44

ToysRLuv I still do the air writing!

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 19-Sep-13 01:15:46

always eating sweets dropped on pavement etc and once a pink toilet freshener that fooled me into looking like a marshmallow, on the toilet floor at the swimming pool, and was very sick for days, couldn't tell parents as I knew i'd get a bollocking for eating sweets off the floor,actually thought I was going to die..

Tear off bits of tissue, newspaper, books etc, screw it into a tight little ball and rub it between my fingers or under my fingernails still do this

I also used to narrate everything in my head still do this too

Used to sit looking out of the window in the car pretending I was galloping along on a horse. Every gateway or break in the pavement was a jump! My parents used to think I was cracking up, rocking back and forth! Thankfully, stopped doing this one grin

Chewed the cuffs of every jumper, collars and neck as well. I've noticed ds does this a lot!

Had an imaginary riding school. I spent hours writing out descriptions of the ponies and allocating them to the riders for their lessons! I even had a lesson log so as I knew who'd ridden which pony the week before, and no pony was allowed to do more than 2 lessons in a row in case they got too tired! My favourite was Syd, a 14.2hh bright bay welsh cob who would put his nose in everybody's pockets looking for mints... I read way too many "Jill's Gymkhana" type books grin

Bite my lip until it bled. I have a permanent scar which I still bite when I'm not thinking.

ToysRLuv Thu 19-Sep-13 01:20:47

alltoomuch: I used to do it until recently. No idea why I stopped. I will also mouth/mumble some words I'm thinking about and this used to be sometimes connected to the air writing (in cursive).. I sound like a right nutter now..

ToysRLuv Thu 19-Sep-13 01:24:52

Juliet:I did that thing with imagining the riding along fields/roads, and also drawing imaginary horses and thinking of their names etc. Then drawing the stable with really detailed descriptions about everything. But mainly they were just my horses, so no other riders involved, as far as I remember. All my drawings from that period are cringy as hell.

ZingWantsCake Thu 19-Sep-13 01:29:37

stroking my arm or rocking my legs before falling asleep.

recall Thu 19-Sep-13 01:46:33

melting crayons on the radiator pipe next to my desk at school, and then dipping the ends of my fingers into the wax. Id then let it dry, and tap them on the table

eating bread with loads of vinegar on it

EssieEttie Thu 19-Sep-13 02:17:32

I used to collect Chewitt wrappers and pretend they were money (the crinklier the better.) My friend collected the bobbly bits of rubber that appeared when rubbing out (no idea what she thought they were.)

I also used to make perfume out of rose petals and water, and chocolate by freezing hot chocolate powder and water. The ''perfume' always smelt eggy (didn't stop me sloshing it liberally about my person though) and the 'chocolate' just went mouldy. Happy days!

Longdistance Thu 19-Sep-13 02:26:50

When my mum finished with her boxes of chocolates, I used to turn the little plastic tray upside down, and pretend I was using them as buttons on a checkout. Just weird.

The weirdest thing was that I ended up working for Sainsburys for a few years part time with college lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now