Well. That went well, didnt it.......

(423 Posts)

So I am looking after my friends 3 year old for the weekend.
I'd just like to point out, before I post the wonderful things that have happened since yesterday, that I do actually have children.
3 in fact.

I point that out because after reading this, you might be forgiven for thinking I have no clue about children what so ever grin

So...she arrives at 5pm. Lovely, lovely girl. Lovely mum who for some reason thinks I am trustworthy, drops her off without a fuss.

Oh dear god.

All is well for a while. We eat dinner, she eats it all up. And dessert. I am cleaning the kitchen, I turn around and she is eating the dogs food out of his bowl.
And then told me the doggies dinner is very tasty grin

We are watching tv later on and I ask my ds1 to keep an eye on her while I make a cup of tea.
I come back, she is in the dogs bed.

She wants to play hide and seek. So she hides.
Can I find her? No.
Can the DCs find her? No.

Im about to call the fucking police because clearly she has disappeared when she pops out from a bush in the garden covered head to foot in mud.

We give her a bath, got her pjs on. I go to make her a hot chocolate. I turn round and find her sitting in a cupboard. Of course, I notice she is in there the very second I shut the cupboard door. On her head.

I put her to bed on the little bed in my room.

I go to bed as well because I know if I am not sitting there looking at her, something will happen.

I wake up, an hour ago. She is asleep in the dogs bed.

She just said to me "I had so much fun auntie tantrums. I are doggies dinner, you lost me, I got very dirty and sleeped in the doggy bed. And you shut me in the cupboard"
She found it all hysterically funny.

She's going to go home and tell her mum all of that isn't she??
Is there any way at all I can put a positive spin on this??

I very doubt my friend is ever going to talk to me again, let alone trust me with her child.

SanityClause Sat 14-Sep-13 08:13:52

My DC get in the dogs bed. Well, DD1 doesn't, but DD2 (12) and DS (9) do. They've never eaten the dog's dinner, though.

MammaTJ Sat 14-Sep-13 08:13:53

Too funny.

Mum probably really needed a break. If she is upset by any of it, at leastyou won't have to have her again! grin

MikeLitoris Sat 14-Sep-13 08:15:00

She sounds just like my youngest. I'm scared to blink most of the time.

If you looked after her for a whole weekend I wouldn't care if she came back barking like a dog and covered in permanent marker.

Sounds like she is loving it staying with you.

innermuddle Sat 14-Sep-13 08:15:49

This gave me a much needed laugh!

Well, I moved the bed because she won't stay out of it.

And I was a bit worried she would go home and tell her mum I made her sleep in a dogs bed.

The dogs don't mind at, they get in with her. Again, not sure how popular an idea that will be with her mum grin

My DCs are 15,14 and 10. I had forgotten the 3 year old stage.
She wants to make a cake now.

I have decided that whatever I do it will end in some sort of disaster. So we are going to the shops and then to make cakes.
It will be a mess. She will probably eat eggshells/cover herself in flour/shut herself in a cupboard.

My friend just texted me "everything ok? How is x"

I did not reply "covered in green felt tip pen, eating dog food"
I just said "fine"

ThreeMyselfAndI Sat 14-Sep-13 08:18:57

she sounds like she's having a great time, I would find this hilarious if she was mine. you sound a wonderful friend and I am sure her mum will be so grateful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, you'll need to sleep with one eye open grin

FrussoHathor Sat 14-Sep-13 08:20:18

And you have a weekend of this fun? Fabulous. Please keep us posted it's refreshing to know its not just my dd that's like this

ChasedByBees Sat 14-Sep-13 08:21:30

Hilarious! grin

RoadToTuapeka Sat 14-Sep-13 08:21:51

Oh no! Don't take the dog stuff away as at least you know she's likely to be in/near/on it ...otherwise who knows what else she could get into!
Very funny story!

gindrinker Sat 14-Sep-13 08:22:06

Oh bugger.
I offered to babysit any time for my friend. Her little girl is nearly two.
She's going to take up the offer when this is her!

MrsHoratioNelson Sat 14-Sep-13 08:22:36

She will go home chattering about all the lovely things she did with you and your friend won't believe a word of it. Because who would?! grin

ivykaty44 Sat 14-Sep-13 08:25:24

Her mother should have taken the lead on this and told you that her daughter was like a dog with two tails about coming to stay with you as you had a dog and could live out her dream acting life out as a dog. Tell the mother you would have liked to know all this a warning would have been great

EeyoreIsh Sat 14-Sep-13 08:25:45

Oh my word, that would drive me to booze grin grin

SizzleSazz Sat 14-Sep-13 08:25:47

I looked after a friends 2 year old. After 10 minutes when she had found some metanium and smeared it over her clothes and dd1's bed, posted her drink and other items out of the cat flap (I spent a good while trying to locate the drink i knew I had given her) and decapitated a doll I realised I needed to reassess my childcare skills grin

See MrsHoratio that's what I am hoping.
That it sounds so far fetched and clearly not true.
Because I would never let her child sleep in a dogs bed/eat dog food/shut her in a cupboard. grin

I've just dragged dd out of bed, with instructions to watch her. I need to have a 30 second shower.

I am exhausted. It's only 8:30

IsThatTrue Sat 14-Sep-13 08:28:20

I love this grin

Sounds like she's having a great time!

YoniMontana Sat 14-Sep-13 08:28:55

Good luck with the baking!

MinnieBar Sat 14-Sep-13 08:30:08

1. Her mum knows exactly what she's like (hence the text) and is laughing her arse off

2. There's still time to Veet her before tomorrow…

scarletforya Sat 14-Sep-13 08:30:24

heh heh

Hairspray will get the marker off but spray it onto a cloth not directly onto her face!

LegoCaltrops Sat 14-Sep-13 08:31:38

Hilarious. marking place to read when I get back from stressful family day out. Dying to know what else she gets up to. And what's in store for me in the coming years - my DD is 16m & this sort of thing sounds likely!

scubastevie Sat 14-Sep-13 08:32:23

Brilliant :D good luck for today/tomorrow

PuddingAndHotMilk Sat 14-Sep-13 08:36:10

I'm not shamelessly marking my place to get updates on the cake-oriented adventures of Dog-Girl. Nope, not me!

littlewhitebag Sat 14-Sep-13 08:36:35

She sounds brilliant. No wonder her mum was keen for you to have her for the weekend.

She just put the cat in the kitchen sink.

The cat was unimpressed to say the least.

We need to go out of the house. Where can we go???

It's raining and cold.

Help me, please. Where can I take her?

When at shops if she escapes check the colthes stands used tobe dd2 place to chill spent many mins flapping trying to find her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now