How do you inject JOY into your day?

(177 Posts)
eatprayloveorjusteateateat Thu 12-Sep-13 10:18:25

I wake up everyday and feel 'bleurgh!'... just bleurgh!

Is there any way that you cheer yourself up/ inject some joy into your morning/day?

Is it getting up an hour before everyone else and having a good cup of luxury coffee?
Do you watch something to shake off your crappy mood?
listen to something?
do something unusual?
eat something?
put something on?

i don't know about you but i don't wake up feeling naturally happy so i really need to do something to put a smile on my face.

Any ideas?

everlong Thu 12-Sep-13 14:07:00

Good slippers. I can't stand my feet on the floor directly.
Tea.
Cuddle with the mutts.
Walk the dogs somewhere lovely.
Peace and quiet.
Clean house.
Text from DH.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Thu 12-Sep-13 15:16:19

Probably easier said than done, but I love my job, so I actually don't mind getting up to go and do it.

ToriaPumpkin Thu 12-Sep-13 16:03:47

I sing or play a really uplifting song. Sometimes my singing would have my high school singing teacher covering her ears in horror but I find it cathartic to just belt out a show tune or something with lots of swearing in it.

I always have flowers in my living room. Even if they're just cheap carnations from Tesco.

eatprayloveorjusteateateat Thu 12-Sep-13 16:12:13

LOVE these suggestions. ALLY MCBEAL was the best program ever. It's on my christmas list this year - the entire collection.

Just thought I would tell you all - inspired from you all - that i have just been out for a walk to the shops where I bought expensive coffee and cinnamon bagels. I also put my face up to the air - may have looked silly but it really did work.

I wish I could have a dog - but I am in a rented house.
This thread has been exactly what I needed.

GrendelsMum Thu 12-Sep-13 16:34:56

That's so sweet. I love the idea of you putting your face up to the air.

Do let us know tomorrow how your morning went.

PeterParkerSays Thu 12-Sep-13 16:58:53

I hope you have some proper butter for those bagels, eatpray, and are not wasting them on spread. wink

MummyBeerest Thu 12-Sep-13 17:01:09

These are all awesome.

For me, daily walks. Despite the weather; I go out. Even if only for 15 minutes. Since doing this, I have yet to be sick.

Getting a coffee.

And music. ..any genre, as long as it's upbeat. At present, listening to Parisian jazz.

Itstartshere Thu 12-Sep-13 17:13:16

Great thread. I'm trying to inject more joy into my life too. At the moment making an effort to stick on some really upbeat music is great, I'm having a pot of herbal tea sitting out in the garden each morning (determined to do so as long as it's not raining) just to get a blast of fresh air and sunshine, have taken up meditating too. Some sex would be nice, think that's a way to have some instant joy. grin Also trying to get out a little more and laugh with friends.

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Thu 12-Sep-13 17:18:11

My work gives me joy... and laughing with my kids.

ToriaPumpkin Thu 12-Sep-13 17:20:31

Ooh, good call on the Ally MacBeal boxset, my MIL is bound to ask what I want for Christmas soon!

I've been down this road...

AngryFeet Thu 12-Sep-13 17:24:34

Laughing. If I laugh many times a day I feel positive and happier. Not something you can just DO I guess but I surround myself with happy witty people and watch comedies. I do love to laugh smile

MrsTwgtwf Thu 12-Sep-13 17:25:01

Birdsong is good, especially if you learn to identify different birds by their song. It's always there, but we rarely hear it.

WowOoo Thu 12-Sep-13 17:52:45

I do, Mrs Twgtwf.

It's the one good thing about having to be the first to be awake early in the morning. Peace and quiet, a cuppa and my lovely blackbird for a little while.

chrome100 Thu 12-Sep-13 18:08:18

I go swimming. It is SO hard to get up at 6am in the dark and cycle down to the pool but once I'm in I feel really good and lovely and energised for the rest of the day. If I am feeling lazy and don't bother I always regret it.

DipMeInChocolate Thu 12-Sep-13 18:13:23

Hot shower & body scrub. Make up and perfume on then a proper coffee & croissant whilst feeding the kids/ making packed lunches.

TheWickedBitchOfTheBest Thu 12-Sep-13 18:27:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everlong Thu 12-Sep-13 18:29:34

Yy to birdsong. I think I'm a twitcher at heart.

TheWickedBitchOfTheBest Thu 12-Sep-13 18:36:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yama Thu 12-Sep-13 18:49:10

Morning - eggs for breakfast. I just feel that they nourish me.

Daytime - posh coffee during lunch hour. It means I leave my workplace and walk there thus getting outside and seeing the sky.

Evening - Dark chocolate, nuts and wine or dark chocolate and a cup of tea. Smashing.

My favourite thing of all though is just to stare at the sea. I can see the sea from my house. This evening it is rather shiny. Sunsets are lovlier over the see too. Oh, and when the starlings dart about I feel truly alive.

GetStuffezd Thu 12-Sep-13 18:50:18

When my pupils go out to break I google pictures of Christian Bale blush

poachedeggs Thu 12-Sep-13 19:28:53

Get I LOVE that idea!

Letitsnow9 Thu 12-Sep-13 20:12:13

Do something to make someone else smile, it ends up making you smile. A good hot drink (very British) and a good natter on the phone. Upworthy and buzz feed for some online cheeriness

FariesDoExist Thu 12-Sep-13 20:28:45

What a great thread. Im not a morning person but I'm looking forward to starting at least one morning next week with a cinnamon bagel with Philly (will go out to get some tomorrow).

I love my Kindle, so I treat myself to books. I might get a self help book on "how to be joyful" or something!

Also I keep meaning to subscribe to a magazine because I think it would be a nice 'surprise' for me to recive on my doorstep once a month, but I don't know what magazine to go for, I was thinking maybe Good Food or Essentials.

urigeller are you actually Uri Geller or just a fan of?

sicily1921 Thu 12-Sep-13 20:59:13

What a great thread OP, thank you!
I am not fit for the human race if I don't get coffee and porridge IN PEACE as I hate mornings.

Love a nice soak in the bath (not into bubbles and candles...just the peace and quiet)
Gin and tonic ( pref with box of chocs)
cross-stitching works to relax me, it's nice to create a lovely picc yourself although it takes me about 2 years!!!
Cracking film eg 'Rebecca' or my box set of The Golden Girls makes life worth living.

tigerdriverII Thu 12-Sep-13 21:15:25

Sounds soppy but for me it's nature. I drive the "long" way to work because it's a lovely drive and I like to see how the trees/fields/gardens etc change through the seasons. I like bird watching and just catching sight of a red kite, or a buzzard, or whatever (today, a heron on top of a lamppost in an industrial estate) cheers me up. And I like just looking at trees, flowers, leaves etc and enjoying the design. Almost anywhere there's a bit of buddelia or some trees or something's even if you're stuck on a train or in traffic. I am quite easily pleased.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now