How do you inject JOY into your day?

(177 Posts)
eatprayloveorjusteateateat Thu 12-Sep-13 10:18:25

I wake up everyday and feel 'bleurgh!'... just bleurgh!

Is there any way that you cheer yourself up/ inject some joy into your morning/day?

Is it getting up an hour before everyone else and having a good cup of luxury coffee?
Do you watch something to shake off your crappy mood?
listen to something?
do something unusual?
eat something?
put something on?

i don't know about you but i don't wake up feeling naturally happy so i really need to do something to put a smile on my face.

Any ideas?

Floralnomad Thu 12-Sep-13 11:11:22

I walk my dog ,he's fabulous and always makes me happy !

ZingWantsCake Thu 12-Sep-13 11:11:30

eatpray

I think it is difficult to achieve a state of permanent contentment (joy, happiness, feeling in control, feeling good and positive - call it what you will) because there's always some big or little drama or noise or whatever that disturbs our peace!

some days we give in, some days we fight - the thing to remember is that both are acceptable!
some days are rocks, some days are diamonds.

and you've I just made mine better and I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that!

missorinoco Thu 12-Sep-13 11:14:34

I like this thread. Good tips.

Zing - I know what you mean about annoyances. Can I ask what book you are reading?

WowOoo Thu 12-Sep-13 11:16:16

To stop myself snapping at the children, (who were not getting on with their breakfast in an ideal manner) I sang 'Food, glorious food' quite loudly.

It was only a short burst, but it made us all laugh...until they told me to pack it in.

poachedeggs Thu 12-Sep-13 11:17:17

Great thread. I'm pish in the mornings. I have been known to tell my DC "I'm very tired and grumpy, don't talk to me until I've finished my tea" blush

Once or twice I've had to get up very early for work reasons and I've loved having a shower and cup of tea in peace, but my DC are really early risers and I'm crap at going to bed early enough so I don't think I could sustain it all the time.

Bramshott Thu 12-Sep-13 11:21:24

I get out for a 20 minute walk once the kids have gone off to school (I work from home) - really sets me up for the day, even if it's raining.

I am trying to get into the habit of thinking of three things I enjoyed at the end of each day, to remind myself of the fun bits amongst the grind. So on Tuesday:
- I went for a walk and saw a beautiful oak tree
- I snuggled up with DD2 while she read me her reading book
- I laughed with DH when he told me all the crazy things his colleagues do

DancingLady Thu 12-Sep-13 11:21:58

Wine.

Dahlen Thu 12-Sep-13 11:22:17

I think you just have to decide to be happy. As Lincoln said, "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

I know this sounds a lot simpler in theory than it is in practice, and I'm aware that I may be coming across as some completely annoying Pollyanna type who deserves to have darts thrown at her image. wink But bear with me

How many times have you (not you specifically, any parent really, me included) found yourself saying "no" to your DC out of habit because you're feeling a little irritable, rather than for any good reason. And how much nicer would it have been if you'd said yes (assuming their request was reasonable, of course)?

How many times have you spilled tea and thought FFS!!!! and been put in a bad mood for the rest of the day when instead it's just a bit of liquid that can be mopped up with no harm done and can be forgotten in 5 minutes.

Negativity breeds negativity, and positivity breeds positivity. It's self-perpetuating and habit forming. The more positive you try to be, the easier it becomes and the happier you feel.

Here's the serious bit - this only really works if you're happy with life and the bits you have control over in general. If you're married to a wanker or your boss treats you like shit for example, it probably won't work. It might if you ditch the wanker and stand up to your boss or get a new job though.

Stress (or more precisely the inability to do anything about what's causing it) is the biggest enemy of feeling happy. To that end, try to start off on a de-stressful note. Having less sleep and not fighting the clock in the mornings will make you far less stressed than that extra 20 minutes in bed. Although sleep is important. Diet and exercise are too. A healthy body is well-equipped to process all that cortisol in a much better way than an unhealthy one.

Good luck. smile

Bakingnovice Thu 12-Sep-13 11:27:14

For me it's exercise. I hate doing it and its a mental struggle to get on with it but once I've started that's it - boom - my happy hormones kick in. I get the kids off to school, get on the treadmill (park run on sat), then I clean the kitchen, tidy upstairs etc then into a hot shower. Once dressed I usually sit down to a nice lunch. These are my best days. Exercise cured my Pnd and I swear by it. It changes the scope of my whole day.

Also, I love it when the kids get home from school. I love the hustle and bustle, the noise, the stories, the songs. Yesterday we all sang 'we'll meet again' at the top of our voices on the way home.

Bakingnovice Thu 12-Sep-13 11:29:58

And I should add that after having a mini breakdown in my last career I'm off to Uni next week to retrain and the one thing I'm most worried about is not having time or energy to fit in my runs. I don't want depression to rear its ugly black head again.

PeterParkerSays Thu 12-Sep-13 11:44:44

Colour, maybe tulips in a vase, bright coloured bed linen etc. I'd forgotten how much colour lifted my mood until I got back into the habit. Even bright newly painted toe nails or towels, just a bit of something.

MissHC Thu 12-Sep-13 12:19:29

I play the piano to cheer myself up. I don't think there's anything that's quite as therapeutic for me.

Music in general lifts my mood.

If at work I get some nice lunch somewhere. Salmon sushi - delicious.

redexpat Thu 12-Sep-13 12:24:44

Colour - rugs, curtains, bedding, flowers.

Singing - I sing to myself all the time. Especially in the car.

Find somewhere outside you can stand with space around you, middle of a field, top of a hill etc, and just lift your face up. Whether it's sunny, or raining, or blowing a bloody gale, I find letting the 'outside wash over me' lifts my mood. I know, it sounds twattish, and it's as far from the normal 'me' as possible, but it does work.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 12-Sep-13 12:30:15

Screw joy! Embrace misery.

ZingWantsCake Thu 12-Sep-13 12:39:44

saggy confused not helpful

eatprayloveorjusteateateat Thu 12-Sep-13 13:20:55

i like it flouncy!

hiddenhome Thu 12-Sep-13 13:27:38

20mg of Citalopram each night.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Thu 12-Sep-13 13:32:37

Can't believe you've all forgotten the most obvious answer....

A little bit of MNing! Always bound to bring joy.

Seriously though. I was feeling more rubbish than a dump truck this morning, but lots of lovely MNers (some of whom are on this thread) made me feel much better.

Oh, and yes, wine as well grin

oinktopus Thu 12-Sep-13 13:33:17

Exactly the same as MissHC. Playing piano is like meditation for me. And listening to other people's music is very uplifting. I'm sure there's a link between singing, dancing, meditation, chanting, and any other rhythmic activity which humans get something out of.

Casanunda Thu 12-Sep-13 13:35:33

A dippy spaniel! Whenever I'm grumpy (more than likely first thing in the morning), my dog makes me smile/laugh with his ridiculous antics...It's especially nice when you get home after a particularly shitty day to an overexcited spaniel leaping about and wagging his ass off grin

WaitingForMe Thu 12-Sep-13 13:39:30

Theme song. Did none of you people watch Ally McBeal?

Tournesol Thu 12-Sep-13 13:43:10

Fresh air, looking at trees, soaking up lovely nature.

And a lovely cup of tea. Sometimes I think tea is my best friend, we've shared some lovely moments. wine is my other best friend

PostBellumBugsy Thu 12-Sep-13 13:45:07

My morning shower never fails to bring me a small moment of joy/pleasure. That feeling of hot water on the back of my shoulders is bliss. I remain endlessly thankful for being born in an era where showers are commonplace.

ZingWantsCake Thu 12-Sep-13 14:03:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now