bizarre instructions in holiday cottages

(228 Posts)
TheNaughtySausage Tue 10-Sep-13 13:45:49

I am going on holiday on Friday and I am very excited. Not least because one of my favourite things is looking forward to finding out if the holiday cottage owner is anal/bonkers enough to leave little notes everywhere. I mean, I expect a certain level of "this is how the wood burning stove works" and "bins get emptied on a Wednesday", but some of them are mad... like the one which was laminated and hand-written in 1973 by the looks of the paper, balanced on the back of the ancient fusty sofa, instructing us that ALL the cushions MUST be plumped DAILY.

What odd things have you come across in holiday cottages?

Svrider Thu 12-Sep-13 12:57:47

Btw sparkling brook
I never double check
Hence leaving a fridge full of food
A DVD player (with DVDs )
And a bag of multi pack crisps

I did phone to apologise smile

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Sep-13 13:02:01

Tsk Svrider, you won't do that again.

DS2 had ice cream and Ds1 had cheesecake for breakfast on the last day before leaving to empty the fridge. grin

DH and I stayed in one a few years ago (before we had DS) and there was a note on an A4 piece of paper inside a poly-pocket and staple-gunned to the wall which read "Please do not dry your towels"

I had so many questions...but no one to answer them

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 12-Sep-13 13:04:15

We were left an extra pile of towels with the instruction that they were to be placed on the chairs before they were sat on in order to keep the material clean.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 12-Sep-13 13:04:46

We were left an extra pile of towels with the instruction that they were to be placed on the chairs before they were sat on in order to keep the material clean.

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Sep-13 13:06:08

Oh no Brigit I would have had to leave immediately as the chairs towels or no towels would become dirty somehow.

Incidentally why do lots of SC properties have cream carpets? confused

Were you allowed to dry them, Brigit ? ;)

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 13:11:43

Oh this of a funny threadgrin

I've never had any bizarre instructions other than do not put sanitary towels down the loo which is sensible.

6 egg cups for a 4 person villa is also sensible/normal if someone wants more than one egg.

Last one we stayed in was incredible,I didn't want to leavesad we even had a survey emailed to us asking how they could improve and I couldn't think of a single thing.

Not a cottage but canal boat. Big sticker on the side of the cupboard telling us that to cut the engine in an emergency we should "yank the red knob to it's full length" shock grin

WipsGlitter Thu 12-Sep-13 13:19:20

We had some very, very complicated recycling instructions that made no sense whatsoever. I am sure they just ended up with loads of people leaving their rubbish behind. If you want people to sort at least provide sorting boxes.

TheNaughtySausage Thu 12-Sep-13 13:19:33

In With, what at all? What if they dried of their own volition?

UterusUterusGhali Thu 12-Sep-13 13:29:00

A lovely villa we stayed in in Tuscany.
We were asked not to wear sunscreen in the pool, as it Would leave a residue on their swanky pool. Fair enough, but you can't really let children swim without sunscreen, right?
Good job it rained all holiday. hmm

Same villa, we HAD to vacate the property twice a week to allow the cleaners in. That we HAD to have and pay for. Cue us stood outside in aforementioned rain watching them do the cleaning we had already done. (Tidy renters)

starfishmummy Thu 12-Sep-13 13:34:33

The holiday cottages we rent (we've been 6 times!) has no lamented notes. I feel a bit sad about that really.
They even have an arrangement with someone who puts the bins out grin

starfishmummy Thu 12-Sep-13 13:35:27

Argh it is one cottage. And the note is laminated!!

butterflyflyaway Thu 12-Sep-13 13:44:09

These are ace grin

grin 'lamented notes' grin

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Sep-13 14:34:13

I have never boiled an egg in a SC property let alone 6. We very often don't even cook a meal in there.

Toast and cereal then every other meal out with goodies in the fridge for if anyone is peckish. grin

I hate shopping and cooking when i am on holiday. grin I always do all the washing before coming home though. <anal>

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 14:40:11

We only have breakfast,I refuse to cook and Dh loads the dishwashergrin

Parsnipcake Thu 12-Sep-13 14:43:15

In one we stayed in there was a welsh dresser crammed with nicknacks and a laminated sign ' do not take photos of the cups'.

MrsRambo Thu 12-Sep-13 14:55:21

Recently back from staying in a beautiful holiday cottage.

Only draw back .... We were instructed to take all our rubbish with us when we left!! WTAF? The cottage was fairly remote but we did see wheely bins at neighbouring houses.

This in a house that sleeps 12. There were 8 of us and 2 toddlers. You can imagine the amount of rubbish we generated. We had to find the local dump and make trips to it throughout the week!

Not what you want to be doing on your holiday!!

Sparklingbrook Thu 12-Sep-13 15:09:30

We always load the dishwasher and leave it running when we go. I ain't washing up on holiday either. grin

Did you take a sneaky pic Parsnip? i would have had to.

valiumredhead Thu 12-Sep-13 15:11:29

Parsnip-did you manage to resist?wink

Tee2072 Thu 12-Sep-13 15:21:03

The house we stayed at in California this summer didn't have any wacky instructions but did have green post it notes on the drawers/cupboards/closets we were allowed to use.

Confession: the closet in my son's room did not have a sticky on it. I used it anyway. How the hell would they know?!?!

starfishmummy Thu 12-Sep-13 15:33:03

Mrs Rambo I know how you felt. We once arrived at a holiday let to find the owner doing some jobs. Next day we went to put rubbish in the bin and it was full of his diy rubbish. The area only had fortnightly collections so we spent most of our holiday trying to get rid of ds's nappies. Bin was empitied the day before we left - we promptly filled it again.

starfishmummy Thu 12-Sep-13 15:37:50

Tee - perhaps they snuck in to look!!

I love the cottage we currently rent as the owners live about 100 miles away. After one very in your face (every time we went out/came back) owner, I tend to avoid cottages where it says the owner lives next door!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now