Life skills for teenagers - what have I forgotten?

(116 Posts)
MardyBra Fri 19-Jul-13 13:12:45

I have a teenager and a nearly teenager. I'm sure I've forgotten some things I need to teach them before they fly the nest.

For starters:

How to change a fuse and a lightbulb.

Basic cooking skills. Lots of subcategories here - how to make a decent roast, bechamel sauce, whip up a few easy meals, chop an onion properly.

Basic Sewing I'm sadly lacking in this area. Despite my mother's efforts, I can barely sew on a button. Will delegate to granny.

How to tip

How to shuffle and deal cards Admittedly not a biggie.

Most importantly - how not to be an arse

There's lots more, I know.

getthefeckouttahere Wed 17-Dec-14 23:02:43

How to end a relationship when you want to in a decent and gentle manner.

(this would have completely changed my life if my DM had done so!)

spamm Wed 26-Nov-14 05:07:06

How to write a letter - you never know when an email might not be enough
How to use SNOPES - so you do not fall for the FB scam posts. Some of my friends would benefit from that and I certainly taught my Mom to check before posting

Fluz Wed 26-Nov-14 01:45:22

On a serious note (and from my own experience) - when to ask for help with mental health issues. If you feel so sad you can't function, see a GP.

specialsubject Sun 23-Nov-14 22:12:21

hoping it is ok to add more as it is now a 'classic'

- that fashion photos are faked
- that anything that has to be advertised isn't essential
- to ask for evidence about 'too good to be true' claims
- never to put anything on the internet that you wouldn't say loudly in real life

CarryOn90 Fri 19-Sep-14 13:33:55

- how to be charming
- how to apply make up correctly (obviously under no pressure to wear make up but when it's badly applied it's just so much worse)
- how to make a complaint properly
- how to articulate an argument
- how to cook
- how to roll with the punches and understand that the world doesn't owe you a perfect life

Earlybird Wed 17-Sep-14 22:31:24

I stumbled upon this brilliant zombie thread, and hope you don't mind I've activated it again.

Two more useful life skills I would add:
- learn to swim
- learn to touch-type

divegirl77 Sun 29-Sep-13 21:58:31

When you go the GP speak for yourself. Even more so if you are over the age of 20 - or even 30.

SuperiorCat Fri 27-Sep-13 17:38:45

Thanks Julie

Janek Fri 27-Sep-13 14:37:02

aloiseb do you definitely have to pay for prescriptions if you're a student? You didn't in my day [older than she'd like].

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 14:20:55

That there are more than 4 weeks in a month - so if rent is listed weekly but charged monthly you won't be surprised when it's more than 4x.

MardyBra Fri 27-Sep-13 14:01:15

Aw Julie. When you emailed me to ask if I minded if it was moved, I'd assumed it would be going to Teenagers or Parenting or summat. Thanks. flowers

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 13:49:17

How to work the privacy settings on any part of the internet where you put up any personal information.

Trills Fri 27-Sep-13 13:48:58

How to delete your internet history (they probably already know that)

JulieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Sep-13 13:44:53

Afternoon.

We can see that this is a very useful thread so, with Mardy's permission, we've moved this into a permanent section so that it can be found and used in the years to come.

Wishing you all the best in your aim to train your teens.

thanks

mathanxiety Thu 26-Sep-13 07:23:19

To know the difference between 'want' and 'need'.

To keep track of your bank balance frequently.

Driving/ changing tyre/ checking oil and basic car maintenance.

Laundry and the need to do it weekly at least.
House cleaning ditto.

Often better to be kind than to be right.

SuperiorCat Thu 26-Sep-13 05:47:33

Joedan I think you may be best starting a new thread of your own in perhaps the teenagers section where you will get some really good advice.

Have reported to ask if this can be moved so it doesn't vanish

Joedan94 Thu 26-Sep-13 04:53:16

My daughter has been sent to a pru at 15 after truanting and bad behaviour at school. She is now refusing to go saying there is no point. She is doing this as we wouldn't allow her to stay out till 11 with friends! The week before she did and I was driving round at midnight looking for her and found her drunk , we've had problems with her being drunk on a weekly basis in the past but she has been 'good' for quite a while now. She says she is rebellin as we wouldn't allow her out later last week. I am dreading this weekend as I know she won't come in and will be drinking in a park somewhere. Can anyone help?

CorrieDale Mon 12-Aug-13 07:10:07

Not an urban myth seagulls.

FiftyShadesofGreyMatter Mon 12-Aug-13 04:24:12

Can this thread be moved to somewhere it won't disappear?

Hello again Asadullah.

Asadullah Sun 11-Aug-13 15:12:01

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

aloiseb Fri 02-Aug-13 01:21:13

Having had to tell DD that yes, you do have to pay for prescriptions when you are a student, once you are over 18, and heard the cries of "it's not fair, why should you have to pay just because you are ill?"..........my mission for the next year will be to teach her: -

Not everything in life is fair shockshockshock

That can be instead of the chicken-quartering, as she's a veggie. Thank goodness, as I don't know even how to do it myself.

deleted203 Thu 01-Aug-13 20:59:28

How to change a tyre.
How to check oil and water in the car.

How to put up a shelf.

Find the stopcock for the water in a house.

delegate203 Thu 01-Aug-13 20:53:36

Social skills:
how to be easy to get on with, polite, good natured, able to say no or be assertive when necessary.

Life skills:
How to manage money; clean themselves, their clothes, their home; cook a handful of ordinary recipes and a couple of celebration ones; how to cheer yourself up if you're down; how to put plans and dreams into action.

Emergency skills: self defence; first aid; survival skills.

They can pick up the rest for themselves.

Still18atheart Wed 31-Jul-13 16:38:14

How to bleed a radiator
Teach them what's what in a fuse box and how to trip the switch etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now