To be miffed at "Gift list for mother of the baby" enclosed in *Baby naming ceremony* invitation?

(993 Posts)
doubleshotespresso Wed 12-Jun-13 23:38:24

So some close friends (who married in church), but now claim to be atheist are holding a naming ceremony for their 8 month old first baby in an hotel.....

The invitation is beautiful with a map, timings "event closes at 11pm"?

The gift list ranges from £30-to £300, all items for the mother, cosmetics, trinkets, jewellery, pampering breaks, personalised hand-bound stationery and photo albums...

Anybody know the drill for these naming ceremonies? Are we supposed to guess a gift for the baby? Or just congratulate the mother for deciding on a name?

I have read this a dozen times and am staggered beyond belief-DP read it and fell into hysterics....

My gut tells me to go along with Jo Malone scented nappies or something.

Somebody please tell me this is not normal?!?!?!

fuckingscabies Thu 13-Jun-13 00:40:15

Something that won't cause offence?! This is so rude - I think you owe it to every other guest to tell her how outrageous she's being!

RikeBider Thu 13-Jun-13 00:44:40

Get something for the baby with its name engraved on it so the mum can't take it back or exchange it!

doubleshotespresso Thu 13-Jun-13 00:46:02

I just got an email from another guest asking if we are going...... Very carefully worded but I am sure they are in the same quandary....

Am off to bed now, but thanks all for restoring my sanity.

What on earth do folk wear to naming ceremonies anyhow? This is all so alien to me!

expatinscotland Thu 13-Jun-13 00:50:30

I'd go and take something personalised for the baby. Sod the list.

MidniteScribbler Thu 13-Jun-13 00:57:06

A band? For a naming ceremony? Oh kill me know.

Imagine what the first birthday party is going to be like?? ::shudders::

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 13-Jun-13 00:57:11

OMFG! shock Cheeky feckers!

ComposHat Thu 13-Jun-13 00:59:25

Being the moral coward that I am, I would now be making up stories about my Great Aunty Flo's 80th party in Inverness that I have to be at on the same day.

Snazzywaitingforsummer Thu 13-Jun-13 01:02:05

You HAVE to go, because I for one am dying to know how this event turns out now. Do it for MN!

I think the present you have already bought for the baby (silver bangle and Beatrix Potter set) sounds perfect though and I wouldn't buy anything else. On handing over the gift, you could say 'We got something for (baby) as we guessed you (grabbymum) would be swamped with stuff!'

If the baby is to be called eglantine myopia a present of $80 usd is to be giv3n. If not nothing. Be firm.

Bogeyface Thu 13-Jun-13 01:19:17

ANd you are not sure why they had a swanky wedding planner?!

Can you imagine the excesses that the WP talked them out of? I rather suspect that their wedding would not have been the beautiful fun and classy affair it was without her! She earned every penny imo grin

I would go, take a gift for the baby (what you have already bought sounds lovely) and totally ignore the gift list.

StuntGirl Thu 13-Jun-13 01:25:57

Go, take the gift you've already bought and have a good time.

Cheeky beggars.

FairPhyllis Thu 13-Jun-13 01:36:02

Tell me they didn't have a baby shower too.

Go but take something that is pointedly for the baby.

May09Bump Thu 13-Jun-13 01:39:09

Hopefully its a case a brain freeze or excess of hormones if they are normally ok.

I would call them and say that you had already bought a gift before receiving their invite "hope this is OK". As it's a relationship you need / want to maintain then I would go to the party or make a decent excuse not too and send the gift you have bought.

I've never heard of gifts for the mother, maybe for a friend whilst pregnant (sanctuary stuff etc). Obviously I missed out, no baby shower, birthing gift from h and now mother gifts at naming - FGS I'm really miffed now smile

Last thought, you might want to get this thread deleted - if your friend is on here, it's really evident that it's her your talking about.

ZacharyQuack Thu 13-Jun-13 01:39:54

Buy her a tube of nipple cream.

cranverry Thu 13-Jun-13 01:40:56

That is extremely grabby and tasteless. It's meant to be celebrating the birth of their child, not an excuse to request your friends buy you lots of stuff. YANBU to not think this is normal.

SoYo Thu 13-Jun-13 01:42:37

I'm soooo glad someone has done this, we're due to christen our baby anytime soon & I'm desperate for a new bathroom, patio doors, range master cooker, some garden furniture etc. I think this might be problem solved! wink

burberryqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 02:11:00

very acquisitive and defo not normal - gifts for the mother indeed - buy a cup or a rattle or whatever small thing you like for the baby.

burberryqueen Thu 13-Jun-13 02:15:10

very acquisitive and defo not normal - gifts for the mother indeed - buy a cup or a rattle or whatever small thing you like for the baby.

Gooseysgirl Thu 13-Jun-13 02:47:29

I agree with Snazzy... you must go and report back here afterwards!!! Your gift for the baby sounds gorgeous, ignore the ridiculous gift list...

spatchcock Thu 13-Jun-13 03:01:37

That is very grabby. I think the gift you've bought is perfect, don't buy anything else. Should they be so tacky as to mention it just tell them the truth and say you bought it before you received the gift list.

josiejay Thu 13-Jun-13 03:25:21

Ah this thread has brightened up my night feeding! Once again MN has educated me on just how downright bizarre some people are.

YANBU, I second the suggestion of a personalised keepsake for baby. I would actually be tempted not to go at all.

Ugh I feel sorry for the baby being thrust into the middle of all this grabby excess.

josiejay Thu 13-Jun-13 03:29:04

Oh sorry I see you've already bought something which sounds lovely and appropriate for the occasion.

rundontwalk Thu 13-Jun-13 03:33:37

Haha another one who's night feeding has been brightened up. That's hilarious! Take what you've already got & say you'd bought it before the list arrived,hope that's ok etcetc. So funny!

sashh Thu 13-Jun-13 03:44:24

doubleshotespresso

I'm sure you have already agreed to be somewhere else on the day.

Thesunalwayshinesontv Thu 13-Jun-13 03:49:29

Hang on a sec - what's a hot fork buffet?

And if they're that "classy", how comes it'll be a pay bar??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now