Fave one liner from a book?

(361 Posts)

"It's lipless mouth quivered and slathered"
War of the Worlds - H G Wells
grin

Jux Wed 08-May-13 15:19:50

I've read The Land of Green Ginger too. It's one of my faves from my youth. It was brilliant reading it to dd when she was about 6 and we used Boomalakka Wee as an exclamation when we didn't know what to say for years after! She's reread it countless times since. Another is The Phantom Tollbooth.

deleted203 Wed 08-May-13 21:04:21

I love The Land of Green Ginger! Still have my original copy from childhood and have frequently re-read it.

If you had to marry a wicked prince, would you have chosen Tintac Ping Foo - or Rubdub Ben Thud?

(Although my favourite name is probably Sulkpot Ben NagNag - a frequently used expression for any DC who was behaving badly at the time)

grin

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 10-May-13 06:42:03

Have just remembered this, which I want reading at my funeral!

"When you look up at the sky at night, since I shall be living on one of them and laughing on one of them, for you it will be as if all the stars are laughing. You, and only you, will have stars that laugh.

And when you are comforted, you will be happy to have known me. You will always be my friend. You will want to laugh with me. And from time to time you will open your window, just for the fun of it....And your friends will be astonished to see you laughing at the sky. And so you will say to them....Yes, the stars always make me laugh."

The Little Prince. (of course!)

"Jesus watches from the wall, his face as cold as stone, if he loves me, like they tell me, why do I feel all alone"
'Carrie' Stephen King

MeDented Fri 10-May-13 19:42:44

'It looks like a penis only smaller' think it was the first Jack Reacher novel

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Sat 11-May-13 01:06:52

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

- Love you Forever This is MUMMY'S favourite night time story blush

chipmonkey Sat 11-May-13 02:41:22

"I was a flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I say yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes"

Molly Bloom from Ulysses, James Joyce

That's lovely SpecialAgent - so sweet smile

Many other beautiful ones too thanks

SybilRamkin Tue 21-May-13 20:42:52

"She fitted into my biggest armchair as if it had been built round her by someone who knew they were wearing armchairs tight about the hips that season."

P G Woodhouse, Carry On, Jeeves

10storeylovesong Thu 23-May-13 03:22:20

Absolutely love this thread. It's inspired me to go back to my bookcase!

Licence my roving hands, and let them go
Before, behind, between, above, below.

John Donne, Elegy To His Mistress Going To Bed

“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.”

The Great Gatsby

OrangeFireandGoldashes Wed 29-May-13 20:12:16

What a wonderful thread! Love all the Pratchett, Susan Cooper, P&P, Hitchhikers, Harry Potter & LPW already quoted.

I can't believe no one has quoted any Yeats!

"But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you / And loved the sorrows of your changing face" (When You Are Old)

"I have spread my dreams under your feet / Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams" (He Wishes For the Cloths of Heaven)

"Why, what could she have done, being what she is? / Was there another Troy for her to burn?" (No Second Troy)

And a couple from novels:

"If you were born with the gift, then you must serve it, and nothing in this world or out of it may stand in the way of that service, because that is why you were born and that is the Law." (The Dark is Rising)

"I feel like the word shatter." (The Handmaid's Tale - I know that feeling!)

"I lack the World, for I move like a Ghost through it" (Hawksmoor)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now