i want to make a memory today - suggestion??

(167 Posts)
Mimstar Tue 02-Apr-13 10:48:56

Okay I want to do something spontaneous today. I want to do something with 4 year old DD which will make lovely memories, something unusual, something we don't normally do. Something a bit crazy.

Last time I felt like this, within an hour we has jumped on a train to the lake district and we boyght fresh bread and cheese and ate them by a lake, drawing everything we could see with our coloured pencils.

Unfortunately, its too cold to sit by a lake today ans I want to make a new memory smile needs to be cheaposh, budget of 30 quid!

Suggestions gratefully received!

ep1977 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:46:11

these are great to read, been snowed for a week now and I miss trips out to our local country park and also our trips to feed the ducks,

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:50:27

Can't think of anything confused Breif encounter? Although im not sure that is something to watch with your husband smile

If money was no object i think i would like to have a horse ride with DD, just a plod around for an hour through the orchards - sigh, thats on my "list" i think.

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:51:28

ep - could you do a full turkey dinner and have an Eastmas day? or is the snow just not funny anymore?

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Tue 02-Apr-13 20:56:11

I think getting up in the night for any reason, star gazing or midnight walk or bat spotting is very exciting. And cheap!

MsPepperminCreams Tue 02-Apr-13 21:09:32

Aww lovely stories. smile

The OH was in bed with flu on Mother's Day, so I made my own treat, but it's definitely a good memory...Afternoon tea for 4 year old DS and me. He had warm ribena in a mug, and I had coffee. On our tiered cake stand I put a selection of our favourite sandwiches, crisps, and all the different cakes and biscuits I could find in the house. It was fab and he loved it.

DS loves riding on trains and different numbered buses so any adventure that involves public transport he remembers forever and refers back to it.

KayHunt Tue 02-Apr-13 21:14:05

This is a great idea for a thread, thank you Mimstar!

We did something similar today, we (the DC's and I) got on a bus and went to a different beach, we didn't get on the beach but got splashed by the waves over the wall grin then to a playpark and hopped on another bus to a little town for tea/juice, Ice cream and cakes.

This doesn't sound much, but I have anxiety issues and it's the furthest I've been on my own since DS2 was born. We had a riot and DS1 was so happy!

Tomorrow we are off to a local farm to feed the chicks and little lambs, then I'll take the DC off on a bus trip to who knows where for adventure and lunch.

I want to make these memories for my children too.

One of my fondest memories is a random drive with my mum to Southend, and coming across the airshow, we managed to get parked and we had doughnuts while sitting on the grass bank. It was a lovely day smile

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 02-Apr-13 21:18:06

We also do public transport ones a lot. Got on the train on Saturday with no firm plans about what we'd do once we got to our destination. When we left the station DS spotted some boats in the harbour so we walked down to the end of the harbour and watched the boats coming in and out. Was grand.

It was mainly brough on due to the snow. I'm fed up of not being able to drive or go for walks around here. Fingers crossed we can go walking tomorrow and look for some diggers.

We also go to agricultural sales or shows fairly regularly. There are two marts within half an hour of us so we go there for cattle or sheep sales. Nobody minds me and the toddler being there. There are often children around, especially in the holidays.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 02-Apr-13 21:18:12

It's funny, I try and do this sort of thing on a regular basis but the stuff they remember most is when things go wrong. Missed trains,taking 6 hours to get home in snow, falling into ponds (DD, not me)
Although we did spontaneously watch Olly Murs last week [yum]

Shaky Tue 02-Apr-13 21:19:47

Some lovely ideas on this thread.

May I just add my favourite tip for making ordinary wine into bubbly? Use the soda stream, if you have one, £5 blossom hill champers! It's ace!

I haven't soda streamed my wine for ages, I'm going to do it this weekend grin

MoominmammasHandbag Tue 02-Apr-13 21:28:13

I am a miserable old cynic, but seriously, how much do you remember from when you were 4? I am discussing this thread with DH and my older teens and we are all in agreement you may as well keep your kids in a cellar until they are about 12.
On the other hand me and DH have nice memories of when the kids were little and I suppose it's all stored away in their subconscious.

fuckwittery Tue 02-Apr-13 21:37:45

Mooninmammas, I can date a lot of memories from when my Dad died when I was 6, and I definitely have clear memories of outings with him. Pictures help jog the memory too, and I may have remembered more clearly because he died but I'm very pleased I had some lovely holidays and days out. e.g. camping, remember being kicked by a shetland pony and then my Dad having to carry me on his shoulders every time we went near a field. actually maybe that's not a happy memory but a tramuatised one, still don't like shetlands very much.
But other memories as well, meeting a parrot in a cafe, quad bikes (I think).

FullOfChoc Tue 02-Apr-13 21:48:16

Go for a bike ride and just see where you end up, we did try taking every left turn but did end up in someone's back garden going in a big circle.

DS likes this one, I find him trickier than DD.

FullOfChoc Tue 02-Apr-13 21:49:01

Off to look on ebay for a soda stream...

Khaleese Tue 02-Apr-13 21:53:38

What a lovely thread.

We do adventures all the time, i love it and so do the children. The train or bus makes it all the more fun :-)

I like the afternoon tea idea, it brought back a memory of when my mum took me to selfridges for tea and bought me a manicure set.

YellowandGreenandRedandBlue Tue 02-Apr-13 21:54:22

Moo min - the effects of feeling nice feelings are there whether there is full memory recall. It is called emotional memory.

Sadly, the evidence of children who had shit emotional experiences in early life is massive, the opposite is true too.

So for example, feeling 'special' on your birthday will have an impact on your self esteem and emotinal development whether you can recall the actual birthday events in later life.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 02-Apr-13 21:56:59

Great thread! We're booked up on visiting this week but next week we're free...I might take my DDs on a bike ride/nature trail....we have to choose cheap activities...maybe I can pack an Enid Blyton picnic and have that!

girliefriend Tue 02-Apr-13 21:57:15

the other wend I quite last min decided to have a 'night out' with my 7yo!!

This meant we went out to the cinema and then over to a local bowling alley for tea and played on the slot machines - we know how to live!!

It was actually really good fun smile

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 02-Apr-13 21:59:27

Ooooh, Geocaching!

Ruprekt Tue 02-Apr-13 22:03:22

Geocaching is fab! We went for the first time yesterday. Found 5 caches. Very exciting.

Phineyj Tue 02-Apr-13 22:04:35

My DM was awesome at this sort of thing when we were kids (the GC are now benefitting). One thing she did (I expect it was raining) was put all the chairs and tables in the hallway and put blankets on top to make an obstacle course.

Today I went to see my DNieces and was greeted by the younger one (5) in a homemade Knight of St George costume, complete with wooden sword tucked into a fetching pink belt. She handed me what looked like a piece of old bannister and ordered me to sword fight. So I did!

I like the idea of getting a train randomly to somewhere you haven't been before, with some sort of mission -- the ugly babies in portraits idea is ace!

Lucyellensmum95 Tue 02-Apr-13 22:08:23

I had to give up geocaching because DD flatly refused to put anything other than 10p in the boxes.

ThereGoesTheYear Tue 02-Apr-13 22:10:37

Brilliant thread! I'm going to do the afternoon tea idea.

On the first night of the Easter holidays the DCs and I 'camped' in the living room. Sleeping bags, midnight feast, lots of (but still not enough) cushions etc.

MoominmammasHandbag Tue 02-Apr-13 22:11:16

I do know that Yellow, I was joking.smile
But "making memories" smacks of Facebook boasting. Just do nice stuff with your kids as a matter of course. We jump in puddles every day walking home from school, we go for bike rides most weekends and evenings too in the summer, we camp, look at stars, fly kites, eat chips on the harbour. Surely these things are just part of the fabric of life?

WhatAGoat Tue 02-Apr-13 22:18:33

This is a lovely thread smile

I hope I remember this in years to come life is way too short

xigris Tue 02-Apr-13 22:20:17

Fab thread! For those (like me...) with small children who would not be conducive to a lovely afternoon tea then a trip to the local fire station could be a good idea. I rang our nearest one to see if I could take my small boys and to my surprise the fire fighters couldn't have been more keen! We're going next weekend. The staff at the fire station said that unless there's a call out, they'd get one of the engines out for the boys to sit in plus let them have a go with the hoses. Amazingly this is all free of charge although we're going to make a donation to one of their charities. We haven't told the boys yet but I'm very over excited - and not just at the idea of the uniforms and the pole grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now