To pelt my cakes at this mum's head in the playground this afternoon? <fume>

(931 Posts)
MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 13:00:29

The school are having a cake sale tomorrow and have BEGGED for donations of cakes. They have been Facebooking about how desperate they are all week as they want to make a dent in the £12,000 target needed for some new play equipment in the playground. One might think that flogging cakes at 30 pee each is not the way to make a dent but that's another thing...

I am pushed for time this week but I thought I could do some cornflake easter nests with some mini eggs on top as a quick alternative to baking and frosting two dozen fairy cakes. So I went out and bought the stuff (which I reckon cost more than they will get from the sales tbh) Then I replied to one of the FB begging messages saying "I will bring some cornflake easter nests tomorrow, will have about 40" Then one of the PTA wimmin replied "Ha ha! That's great but be prepared to take most of them home as they don't sell as well as real cakes."

Fuck. You. Bitch.

sad

FakeHotCrossLobsters Wed 27-Mar-13 13:16:15

Email the school and tell them that the PTA are actively discouraging parents from donating in this way with their smug sneering at your efforts and that the only reason you are sending the buns in now is that you had already done the shopping for the ingredients, but they can whistle in future.

And I agree about the pricing. I made a load of buns for the children's centre once and they sold them at such a ridiculously low price they would have been better off if I'd baked nothing and given them the ingredients money instead.

ENormaSnob Wed 27-Mar-13 13:16:17

I'll eat them along with anything else that stays still long enough

Cornflake cakes are the best.

And they are well harder than poncy fairy cakes.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 13:16:33

Maybe she is just trying to put me off making the cakes because she knows my skillz will show up her sunken lemon drizzle cake? Honestly, she does one every bake sale and it NEVER sells. The kids always go for things with the most colours on, don't they?! Then all of the other bake sale twats mums coo round her going "We'll have some now with our tea!" and she always goes "That's why I make one of those, sothere is always some left for the mums! Kiddlies don't like traditional cakes!" As if it was all a nefarious plan on her part not to make something the kids will buy rather than the truth, which is nobody bought her cake because it looks like the dog trod on it.

Emilythornesbff Wed 27-Mar-13 13:16:35

If you could rustle up some rice krispie ones I'd like those even more!
Yum.

There's an entire thread ATM in the food forum about how cupcakes are shit!
grin

Busy aren't I.

WowOoo Wed 27-Mar-13 13:16:41

Given a choice at a cake sale, ds will ALWAYS go for cornflake cakes. if there's a mini egg there too it's no contest.

You must make them look tempting so that they'll be irrestistible sell outs.

Then you can say 'In yer face, PTA woman'. grin

sue52 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:17:38

Your easter nests are perfect for this time of year. Most children would prefer them to fairy cakes. Ignore the rude pta woman.

We've had the debate of the economics of spending more money than the cakes generate for the school fair before. It did not end well grin
(just a warning)

I never knew they were the poor relation of the cake world. It's maybe snce the cupcake has become the cake du jour

fuzzpig Wed 27-Mar-13 13:20:37

What an ungrateful cow.

I am more likely to buy cornflake cakes TBH (and now I'm annoyed because I've already ordered my groceries and didn't add them to the list sad) because at least you know they'll be yummy, unlike fairy cakes which may well be burnt/dense etc.

myalias Wed 27-Mar-13 13:20:43

She is wrong I went to a tea party the other day with an amazing choice of cakes, the first one I chose was a cornflake chocolate cake with mini eggs on top.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 13:21:26

"We've had the debate of the economics of spending more money than the cakes generate for the school fair before. It did not end well"

grin

What happened? I mean, what actually is the flipside of the argument?! AFAICS, there isn't one?!

<waits to be told I am wrong>

ArtVandelay Wed 27-Mar-13 13:21:30

I hope they sell out. And you should bribe your child and their friends to stage a fist fight over the last cake, just to rub it in that your crispy cakes are the best things ever.

fuzzpig Wed 27-Mar-13 13:22:01

Oh and you should definitely reply "oh, shall I not bother then?"

I doubt she will say no, because then she will really look like a twat, so you can still do them.

Lizzylou Wed 27-Mar-13 13:23:17

Choc crispy cakes and mini eggs are the dogs.

What a twatbag.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 13:23:33

OK I am going to write it to her, see what she says...

Werll IIRC I kept saying that if the sole purpose was to raise money (which I was told it was) then asking the parents to spend £10 on ingredients which raised £5 for the school was a silly way to go about it.
If there is more to it - community spirit, event, interest I n baking etc, then fine, but if the primary aim is financial then this is silly. I was told I was wrong because it was £5that otherwise wouldn't have gone to the school. hmm

minouminou Wed 27-Mar-13 13:24:28

What a crass response from her. If they've got Mini Eggs on top, of course they'll bloody sell.
I'd be so tempted to respond, copying everyone in, with Tutu's idea.

I donated some food to our school's foodbank scheme (which sends the donations to the city foodbank). OK, it was a couple of tins of chickpeas and some mystery tin of food from the local Chinese supermarket, but fuck it, it's food.

Next newsletter, there's a message from the cah who organises it to drum up donations with the proviso ".....please no tins of chickpeas or weird things from the back of your cupboard....".

Get fucked.

OK, I get that they may not help if no-one wants them (I would hope at least the chickpeas would be appreciated, though), but what a churlish message.

No more rooting in my cupboards for your glorification, missus.......

At DS' s school, those cornflakes cakes are like crack cocaine. The kids would happily fight each other to the death for one.

If we were selling them with mini eggs on them, we would have to take weapons.

anklebitersmum Wed 27-Mar-13 13:24:36

grin at Sparklingbrook

And given what I've just said this would be completely illogical but I'll happily pay you £2 to eat one yourself, as another person hgas mentioned, 'sell' them on MN and make loads of money, that'll shut her up
(which of course would be the main aim!)

babyfirefly1980 Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:13

Theres gratitude for you..what a miserable mare.

KatieMiddleton Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:25

shock That is so rude. Please reply:

Yes, you are the expert on cakes that do not sell. I will save my time and just eat the mini eggs myself

Or get a pinny with "I'm with Bitch-face" on and stand next to her. Actually I'm thinking a range of PTA inspired, passive-aggressive homewards and gifts would make a fortune.

Bunting the spells out CUNT in naice Cath Kidston florals, MOTHER FUCKER tea towels and the pinnies.

I'd buy them.

shock at the chickpeas
They're so versatile too

VanitasVanitatum Wed 27-Mar-13 13:25:47

Say 'I'm sorry, did you mean to be that rude?'

Then pelt her with frozen cornflake nests anyway.

juanca Wed 27-Mar-13 13:26:19

Can you hire a local rent-a-mob to turn up and start screaming 'OH MY GOD, CRISPY CAKES!' and fall on you like a pack of wolves and shower you with a basket of 10p's?

Am so sick of cupcakes. They are dead to me, I don't even see them anymore. I would be all over your crispy cakes.

minouminou Wed 27-Mar-13 13:26:24

Re cake sale economics, our school held one recently where the cakes were a quid a pop!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now