To pelt my cakes at this mum's head in the playground this afternoon? <fume>

(929 Posts)
MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 13:00:29

The school are having a cake sale tomorrow and have BEGGED for donations of cakes. They have been Facebooking about how desperate they are all week as they want to make a dent in the £12,000 target needed for some new play equipment in the playground. One might think that flogging cakes at 30 pee each is not the way to make a dent but that's another thing...

I am pushed for time this week but I thought I could do some cornflake easter nests with some mini eggs on top as a quick alternative to baking and frosting two dozen fairy cakes. So I went out and bought the stuff (which I reckon cost more than they will get from the sales tbh) Then I replied to one of the FB begging messages saying "I will bring some cornflake easter nests tomorrow, will have about 40" Then one of the PTA wimmin replied "Ha ha! That's great but be prepared to take most of them home as they don't sell as well as real cakes."

Fuck. You. Bitch.

sad

TobyLerone Wed 27-Mar-13 16:19:36

It's just chocolate, melted, and rice krispies stirred in until you can't get any more in and coated in chocolate.

It's wrong to put golden syrup or butter in it.

Also, BRAN FLAKES? What fresh yogurt-weaving hell is this?

thanks Marmkins.

This thread has it all.

<<goes to buy chocolate cornflake cake ingredients>>

whattodoo Wed 27-Mar-13 16:21:49

Branflakes?!!

Would it be wasteful to use granola?

nipersvest Wed 27-Mar-13 16:22:01

oh, please don't make crispy cakes with butter and syrup!! just plain old melted chocolate and either corn flakes or rice crispies is all you need.

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 27-Mar-13 16:23:47

In the US we melt marshmallows for our rice crispy cakes. Makes them chewy (not the crispies ofc but the mixture is chewy instead of hard). Melt butter and marshmallows, stir in rice crispies, pat them in a buttered tin. Best thing evar.

Bran grin grin

minouminou Wed 27-Mar-13 16:24:28

Just nominated it in Classics!

It has been the best one ever!

Pandemoniaa Wed 27-Mar-13 16:26:05

Would it be wasteful to use granola?

Yes. It'd ruin lovely crispy cakes. Granola, indeed! The very idea! Pshaw!

anklebitersmum Wed 27-Mar-13 16:28:53

blush

the kids love 'em. Mum always used butter & golden syrup

Branflakes are half the price of cornflakes (I was very skint) and DD1 now qualifies chocolate in her lunchbox with a haughty "they're healthy-they've got fibre in" grin

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 27-Mar-13 16:30:06

I've just worked out the measurements for ours, for anyone wanting to give them a go: 6 cups rice crispies, 3 tablespoons butter, 280 grams of plain (or vanilla) marshmallows. In a very large pan melt the butter, then add marshmallows to melt those. Remove from heat, stir in the rice crispies. Then press the mixture into a buttered 9x13" pan, or it would probably fit in two small pans. Let it cool.

Also amazing with a spoon or two of peanut butter added to the mixture. Probably remove a TB of the butter if you decide to add PB.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 16:30:11

God, no. MIL makes her cornflake cakes with syrup and MARGARINE. They are a greasy mess and a relatively healthy (OK,not healthy healthy but not that bad either!) treat is turned into an artery-blocking festival. Yuck.

Anyway, when I got to the school I didn't see LemonDrizzleMaxi. The chair collared me however and I said that I was sorry if I'd said something to make LDM not want to contribute her cake? Well I don't think she is a MNer grin The chair lady said "Oh it was something I said, actually. Not you, so don't worry." I wonder if I have put a cat amongst the pigeons and the chair has berated her lemon drizzle shambles behind the scenes? I don't think she has read this thread anyway. thank fuck

TobyLerone Wed 27-Mar-13 16:31:43

It's wrong for them to be chewy. They need to be sharp, so that they cut the roof of your mouth into ribbons, especially if you use cornflakes.

grin @ fibre.

TobyLerone Wed 27-Mar-13 16:32:53

grin

Oh, god, I hope the Chair said to her "please don't make that gopping lemon drizzle cake this year."

anklebitersmum Wed 27-Mar-13 16:33:05

shock Margarine??? BORK

Guess I could negate the butter tho hmm

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 16:36:32

I am SURE it's margarine. Sure of it. I can detect that greasy, tasteless, chemically stuff at a hundred paces.

And they never hold together properly when you add syrup/butter. They aren't rock hard and weapon-like. Unlike mine. <admires rock-hard cakes setting in fridge>

Oh God, I am getting smug like lemon drizzle, aren't i?

pollywollydoodle Wed 27-Mar-13 16:37:37

an aside to biddypop - a lot of the foodbank food goes to people with limited cooking facilities eg just a ring/ shared facilities/little money for fuel to cook with so food that is quick to put together and cook through is often most appreciated.
never heard of a problem with value foods

SecretLindtBunny Wed 27-Mar-13 16:37:42

Be proud of your Weapons Grade Cornflake cakes!

EldritchCleavage Wed 27-Mar-13 16:38:50

What the PTA needs to do is find the best cake makers and ask them to donate a voucher for cake or pudding making that they can auction. My sister (who is truly fab at cakes) does this for her kids' schools. The voucher (saying she would cater a birthday, dinner party or similar but wedding cakes excluded) went for about £250 last time, because word's got round about how good she is.

Anyone doing cornflake cakes with Bran Flakes wants shooting, sorry.

GreenEggsAndNichts Wed 27-Mar-13 16:38:53

grin pff I was going to come in and note the ripping of the roof of your mouth to shreds, but I can see it's already been said.

Love them to be chewy, but I reckon it's about what you've grown up with.

They're also about all I can make in my currently oven-free kitchen.

anklebitersmum Wed 27-Mar-13 16:40:46

Well I shall have to try the basic recipe then Marmalade you know, the one with no syrup and fibre wink

pollywollydoodle Wed 27-Mar-13 16:40:56

marmalade if you need ammo, next time make triangular (ninja star) flapjackswink

bran Wed 27-Mar-13 16:42:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MarmaladeTwatkins Wed 27-Mar-13 16:43:30

Oh God, I tried to make flapjacks once and I'm not sure what I did wrong but I was left with squares of shit that were porridge-like AND jelly-like in their consistency.

Too much fucking effort as flapjacks are shit anyway. wink

anklebitersmum Wed 27-Mar-13 16:44:24

don't get me started Bran I still can't eat Angel delight thanks to Mum sad

chocolateshoes Wed 27-Mar-13 16:45:29

oops - late to pick DS up from footie cos so engrossed in this thread!!! At least he's getting choc crispy cakes for tea now though!!!

Thewhingingdefective Wed 27-Mar-13 16:45:53

I must have a cocksucker tea cosy. I am incomplete without one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now