what the most hilarious and groundless parental complaint you've ever fielded?

(289 Posts)
HanneHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 18:02:01

I have heard of one parent complaining a member of staff wasn't singing in a parents assembly.

sassytheFIRST Wed 06-Feb-13 20:35:39

Some great ones here. My mind is blank about parental complaints but I did have a great parental phone convo once...

Me: ah, hello, is that Mr x?
Other person: err who's this please?
Me: it's mrs sassy, from little Johnny's school. I was wondering if you could explain why he's not in today?
OP: errrr....well...
Me: johnny, is that you?
OP: <panicked voice> no, no... It's me mum!

sassytheFIRST Wed 06-Feb-13 20:36:37

LOVE the astrology 15 year old and the extended family meeting the class bear.

doublecakeplease Wed 06-Feb-13 20:38:40

Mum phoned the staffroom to complain that I'd publicly humiliated her son when I challenged him on his lateness (left a message as I was teaching, rang back half an hour later and complained that I'd not rung her back - apparently she was very busy and I should have come out of class to call her)

I listened to her rant about how hurt her son was, explained our policies and the importance of punctuality then politely declined further discussion due to the fact that her darling was an 18 year old ADULT!! --who had been late for the 5th Monday running mainly due to that fact that he is lazy, 'babied'and usually half high!!

I teach in FE - they STILL ring and complain!!

ProphetOfDoom Wed 06-Feb-13 20:42:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Wed 06-Feb-13 20:46:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FeltOverlooked Wed 06-Feb-13 20:48:03

Matilda, that's hilarious, my son just went away with school (aged nine) and my only request was that his spare glasses went in with the class medicines box rather than his own bag. Teacher agreed as she said "if he's jumped on his bag and broken his glasses, best he hasn't broken his spares too". Sad to hear such long lists of requests for secondary kids though.

HanneHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 20:49:16

on a more prosaic level, parents who think that you will remember to email homework home for their one kid every week, when you have a turn over of about 500 students every week.

You know, best intentions and all.

Feenie Wed 06-Feb-13 20:53:35

In Reception, a child was allowed to change her name and choose what she wanted it to be. Reception teacher had already labelled trays, pegs, everything, but had to change it all to - Britney. hmm

Then, in Y2, she decided she wanted to change it back! Parent thought this was all fine and we were entirely unreasonable to object.

FeltOverlooked Wed 06-Feb-13 20:55:26

Oh god, Feenie. That scares me. My DD wants to change her name (from the NN form of her name to the full form). I am dreading speaking to the school about it as I know what a pain it will be. They are going to really hate me aren't they? She moves school sites in September, do you think it will mitigate the pain if we ask to do it from then?

Feenie Wed 06-Feb-13 20:58:12

Depends - is she changing it to Beyonce, or Rihanna? Was the equivalent at the time. grin

FeltOverlooked Wed 06-Feb-13 20:59:57

No, she wants to do the equivalent of going from Kitty to Catherine (which she already is on the register but not on pegs, etc). I have impressed upon her that if she does this there is NO GOING BACK.

HanneHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 21:00:00

And the "copying in" parent.

Oh yes. They email you with something trivial and copy in every single memeber of the WORLD staff.

thats just rude.

HanneHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 21:00:22

( felt she can just be called whatever it is, doesnt need to be changed)

ravenAK Wed 06-Feb-13 21:03:43

Mum complained that I'd wrongly accused her pfb, aged 14, of swearing.

He'd left tutor time & proceeded down the stairs turning the air blue.

Me <hollering down stairwell> : GEORGE! That's quite enough of that language!

George <voice floating back upstairs>: But miss! It's not me fucking swearing!

Feenie Wed 06-Feb-13 21:08:21

Aw, I wouldn't worry, Feltoverlooked, that's different. smile

FeltOverlooked Wed 06-Feb-13 21:11:36

Phew - OK - thanks - well shall do some more impressing upon her to make sure she is really, really certain. She has sort of grown into the longer form of her name as she's got older and uses it at swimming and so on.

Anyway - sorry all to divert from the terrible tales of parent misdemeanours. Please do carry on!

Charmingbaker Wed 06-Feb-13 21:13:26

Feenie- we've had a child change her name mid year before, now I don't mind people changing to different versions of the same name, but a completely new name! Please!
Also once had a dad come up to me a few weeks into autumn term to point out we were spelling his sons name wrong. We'd had different spellings on different forms and mum had told us on day 1 which version was to be used. Turns out this wasn't the version on the birth certificate, dad wanted the proper one used, mum preferred her version as it ensured correct pronunciation of said name. I told them to get back to me (mum won!).

Feenie Wed 06-Feb-13 21:17:22

This one changed her name from something totally different to Britney - because of Britney Spears. At four years of age.

Yes, can think of a couple of Mum/Dad disputes re names aswell, very odd!

GingerbreadGretel Wed 06-Feb-13 21:18:17

I was volunteering in a class once and a girl came in with no bandages or visible injury saying "my finger's sore and dad says I don't have to write anything today". I got sent to the office to see if dad had left any note - no note, no notification, but yes, when called we were to let her sit there and not write for a couple of days and why didn't we just believe his daughter, why did we need to check?

GingerbreadGretel Wed 06-Feb-13 21:21:20

Oh, and the same girl missed the class photo and the dad was really, really angry that we didn't reschedule it. We did take some class photos ourselves for her, but he wanted us to get the proper photographer back.

Slinky Wed 06-Feb-13 21:28:41

Ah am loving this thread! Some absolute classics on here! Some explain the very reason I'm leaving the Education sector next Friday!

Charmingbaker Wed 06-Feb-13 21:29:14

Parents who complained when child was given lead part in Christmas show. Clashed with prep for entrance exams and child could not fit it into schedule, had already sacrificed TV time and ballet class to fit in extra tutoring,couldn't squeeze out any more. Should point out show took place in school hours, but we did ask children to attend 1 after school rehearsal. I think they were given a small roll in the end but ended up 'being ill' on the day of the show.

ohfunnyhoneyface Wed 06-Feb-13 21:36:34

This is brilliant, I'm having a good think to recall my best ones...

mamaduckbone Wed 06-Feb-13 21:45:51

Parent of a (very bright) year 2 child tried to insist that his son should be heard read every day by the teacher. He was asked to suggest what should happen to the rest of the class whilst she did the same x 29 for all the others...

GingerbreadGretel Wed 06-Feb-13 21:52:49

But MamaDuck - her child is special!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now