What's the loveliest thing that anyone has ever said to you and it really registered?

(290 Posts)
Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 10:57:19

Feelgood please....no mervin' or talking about bum and banjos.

<<feels the draft of 1000's running out of this thread's door>>

Oh, and more romantically, when dp was pressing his suit, so to speak, he wrote me an email which was so full of compliments it took my breath away.

He wrote "Whenever you're in a group of people, you are always at the centre. Not because you want to be, but because people will naturally put you there. I've never met anyone like you."

I was feeling very down on myself at the time and had anxiety, so his words gave me so much confidence.

Bless him smile

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:47:44

Gah ....SOH is right......no more.

[Grin]

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:48:40

Trainers....wow your .MIL sounds like a treasure!

everlong Wed 23-Jan-13 12:52:19

Dh always says I'm the best wife he's ever had.

I'm the only wife he's ever had. So not sure if it's a compliment or not!

Ds 21 always says that as mothers go he's got the best too..

Deluded fools!

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 23-Jan-13 12:52:49

When one of DS1's (13) teachers told me that DS1 is a "fine young man" and he is a "credit to you."

DS1 was born when I was 19, his father did a runner faster than Usain Bolt, and if the Daily Hate Mail is to be believed, DS1 should have been on a fast track to yob-hood.

It's nice to be a living, breathing example that having a baby as a single teenager isn't the end (as the DM would have people believe).

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 23-Jan-13 12:53:23

NB: I can't take all the credit, DH has been in DS1's life since he was a toddler!

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 12:55:10

grin

Borntobeamum Wed 23-Jan-13 12:55:33

I have 3 amazing children and 3 totally amazing grandchildren, with our 4th overdue.
I was sat reading with them one day in the library, and the librarian came over and quietly said, you know, you were born to be a mum.

I've never forgotten her kind words.

raininginbaltimore Wed 23-Jan-13 12:55:51

I've had a difficult 6 months, dd has reflux and is very high maintenance. I was talking to my CPN about how awful I felt, and admitted that it felt unfair that some people had "dream" babies etc. Bascally why me, why us.

She said maybe it wasn't a punishment as such, but maybe other people wouldn't have coped with the hospital admissions, screaming, lack I sleep . Maybe I have dd BECAUSE I am so patient, so resilient an able to cope.

Made me feel warm.

ToriaPumpkin Wed 23-Jan-13 13:01:50

When I announced my pregnancy with DS a friend told me "You'll be a great mum, let's face it, you've been a mum to most of us for years."

cjbk1 Wed 23-Jan-13 13:09:17

My colleague let slip that my boss thinks "you're an excellent (dental) nurse" this is from a man who's NEVER happy smile
other than work; my longtime friend once said "you're one of those annoying people who looks good in photos"
both shallow I know wink

performancegirl Wed 23-Jan-13 13:13:31

After being together with my DP for about 3 weeks he said to me' i've had other girlfriends but you make me want to build a house and protect it'. He was a little drunk at the time but is the most lovely romantic thing anyone has ever said to me smile smile

NanoNinja Wed 23-Jan-13 13:20:33

Applepippa - that's so lovely!

Mine - my grandad had dementia and towards the end of his life really only knew my dad. I remember visiting him in a home - I must have been 18 or so - he clearly didn't recognise me or my siblings. But he told me I had a lovely smile. Has stayed with me 18 years later.

More recently, I was in hospital after having had my DS, struggling with breast feeding a week after the birth, no friends or family (live abroad), crying on an hourly basis. A lovely midwife told me that I would be a great mum, that I had the motivation to keep going. Was exactly what I needed to hear. Still well up thinking about it.

When it became clear that my DD has special needs a friend of mine told me that she would thrive in our family.

I know she meant it and it wasn't too soppy and she didn't tell me that we had been chosen [hmmm], simply that if she had special needs that she had luckily been born in to a good family.

I still think of it often when I am down.

Megglevache Wed 23-Jan-13 13:28:51

Princerogers I was told almost the same.

spiderlight Wed 23-Jan-13 13:30:00

In a taxi recently, DS was gabbing away to the taxi driver about all the different vehicles we passed and the level crossing and everything else under the sun. The taxi driver turned to me when we arrived at our destination and said 'You've obviously read to this child a great deal - his vocabulary is extraordinary and he's made my day' grin

t0lk13n Wed 23-Jan-13 13:30:44

Thank you Miss it was a really great lesson. Said by three lovely girls who had been homeschooled and were now in a class full of naughty children. I always think of them when I am being told no or worse!

My DH - he rarely says anything lovely, because he isn't big on expressing himself.
We were at his DF funeral and I was singing one of the hymn's he was too choked up to sing and just stood holding my hand tightly. When the hymn had stopped he looked at me and said "You sound like an angel". I (who had been holding it together till that point) burst into tears.

I know it doesn't seem much, but that was 10 years ago and it still makes me well up.

iMe Wed 23-Jan-13 13:37:03

A guest we had on NYE told me I was a great cook....had just served up a 3 course dinner, so that was a nice compliment to receive.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Wed 23-Jan-13 13:39:28

When I was suffering v v badly with PND my HV came for a visit (and promptly marched me to GP), I was in a total mess. Crying so much I was just slobbering onto the carpet like a dog and just rambling on and on in a depressed way. I felt like the worst mother on this earth.

She touched my hand and said "I've been where you are". I know that will sound like nothing to most people, but it was the best thing she could have ever said. It meant so much to know she really understood. She went on to tell me that 30yrs ago when she had her 2nd baby she was depressed and no one helped her. She said that's why she's a HV now as she never wanted anyone to suffer similarly. She saved my life that day - no exaggeration.

greenandcabbagelooking Wed 23-Jan-13 13:50:34

Being told by a group of friends " you're the kindest person here". I blushed so much. I don't think I'm any more kind than average...

Wilts sobbing on a friend's shoulder about something or other she said "there is nothing you could do that would make us not love you". Isn't it my mum who's supposed to say that kind of thing?

singaporeswing Wed 23-Jan-13 13:53:52

My Mum's stepsister turned to my Mum at their DF's funeral, after spending 5 days constantly together watching him die, and said "I never wanted a daughter, I was always happy with my son, but I wish I had a daughter just like her" and pointed at me.

No DC yet for me, but my Aunt on my Dad's side said to me 10 years ago after spending all day looking after my severely autistic cousin - "you will be the most fantastic mother - you're already the most fantastic cousin."

She is such an inspiration to me, so that is one of the best things anyone could have ever said, meant so much coming from her. Especially as that side of my family aren't particularly sentimental or open with their emotions.

LaQueen Wed 23-Jan-13 13:55:32

My BF once said 'I ask myself how LaQ would handle this, and then I do the same' when dealing with her children.

We regularly had people comment on how polite and nice natured our DDs are, their (very good) table manners always used to invite compliments, especially from older people.

DH to me: 'If I had to be a woman I'd want to look and be exactly like you.' smile

I love this!

My first long term boyfriend and I were doing a tour of the island I was born in with my cousin. Boyfriend was sitting in the back of my car, cousin passenger and I was driving.

A little later when we strolled along the beach at dusk he stopped and said to me 'chaos, I have never noticed before how absolutely beautiful and expressionate these big brown eyes are'. It's always stayed with me.

AmberLeaf Wed 23-Jan-13 13:57:35

After finishing my year 10 work experience aged 15, the lady I worked for wrote in my report 'Amber has restored my faith in youngsters' My Mum was well proud!

About my three children, a retired teacher friend of my Mums said, 'they have impeccable manners and are a real credit to you'

My autistic sons paediatrician said to me 'you clearly have a great understanding of his needs and are so in tune with him, he is lucky to have you as a Mum' she may have said that to everyone, but I don't care! it helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now