What have I done?! Come and save my Bolognese!

(176 Posts)
youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:13:01

I'm making tagliatelle spaghetti Bolognese. I used a mix of 400ml red grape juice and 100ml red wine vinegar as a substitute for red wine. It's been simmering for an hour and the smell is foul and the taste is, erm, vinegary. I've been chucking sugar into it but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. Can it be saved? I was thinking of reducing it right down and then boiling off milk through it before adding more tomato purée but I don't want to keep adding things if it's completely hopeless. What do I do?!

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 21:18:24

Yeah fizzy beef doesn't sound that great.

Adieu gopping bolognese sad

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 21:19:45

bikerunski said bicarb but I could only find baking powder in the cupboard. The baking powder label is ripped but the first legible ingredient is sodium bicarbonate so I gave it a shot.

BillyBollyDandy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:34

well i think there is a lot to be said for inventive cooking

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:57

It's a fermented liquid condiment primarily used to flavour meat and fish dishes, Annunziata:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcestershire_sauce

Or: A Very British Sauce!

WingDefence Fri 18-Jan-13 21:23:11

Oh blimey this is funny, sorry OP grin

I ruined a spag bol (and I'm bloomin proud of mine usually) by adding too much sugar after DM said she always added some to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes. Ooh it was vile. I think I added extra Worcestershire sauce to try to take the sweetness down but then it just went wrong.

I can't remember how I saved it though but I'm sure I didn't chuck it confused

Startail Fri 18-Jan-13 21:23:17

Put pan somewhere cold or in the fridge and do nothing until tomorrow.

Seriously spag Bol always tastes richer and mellower after a day for the flavours to settle.

If it still tastes odd. Drain one portion of as much liquid as possible and see if cream and curry spice will redeem it.

BellaVita Fri 18-Jan-13 21:23:27

This thread has made my night! grin

Worcestershire sauce is made of fermented anchovies and all sorts of other tangy stuff. A little bit is nice is most meaty dishes.

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 21:25:25

Oh I love anchovies! I must try it.

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 21:26:12

(not in bolognese though wink)

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 21:29:21

Right. The heat is off. It's cooling down before I put it in the fridge overnight and if it's still frankensauce tomorrow morning I will admit defeat and start again sans grape juice and vinegar.

Baking soda is Bicarbonate of Soda with added acidic agent which acts as a reactor.

Bicarbonate of Soda on its own woukd need lemon juice or chocolate to react in order to make a cake rise.

Bicarb on its own would have neutralised the acid, baking soda already has acid, hence the fizziness.

FellatioNels0n Fri 18-Jan-13 21:30:48

shock What on earth possessed you?

Red wine is not essential - you can make a decent bolognese without it. But substituting....ach, let's not even go there; what's done is done. Chuck it and learn the lesson. Order a curry.

FellatioNels0n Fri 18-Jan-13 21:33:46

I once did that adding a scant teaspoon of sugar to a bolognese ragu 'to bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes' as well. It was a crap idea. Wholly unnecessary and the entire thing just tasted weirdly sugary.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

TinTinsSexySister Fri 18-Jan-13 21:34:18

This is genius. Have a wineOP or a glass of vinegar and grape juice perhaps?

I add star anaise to my bogs, which is quite a strong flavour but not sure it will cover the vinegar or do anything about the fizz...

Mushrooms? A friend was once cooking a "ragu" for her new boyf and accidentally tipped in an entire tub of nutmeg. Her mum suggested she put 'shrooms in it to absorb the flavour.

Not sure if it worked though.

Cybbo Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:25

Milk in a bolognese, hilarious!

Sling it on the lawn for the foxes

Brideandgloom Fri 18-Jan-13 21:36:56

Op are you in actual fact Heston Blumenthal? Gwan admit it, you're just researching your next series..... Fizzy beef! grin

TinTinsSexySister Fri 18-Jan-13 21:37:51

No, she says it did not grin

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 21:38:22

Hahahaha @ frankensauce.

I wouldn't leave it in my fridge tbh, it might wake up in the night and do unpleasant things in your house, like taunting the dog or moving your books around. Leave it in the garden. It's cold enough out.

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:24

Don't give it to the foxes, who knows what it'll do to them!

CharlieSilver Fri 18-Jan-13 21:39:30

<strokes OPs hair>

Blatherskite Fri 18-Jan-13 21:44:58

DH is unimpressed with your bolognese. He's trying to watch TV and can't hear it because I'm howling with laughter grin

Sorry op but I think it's had it.

FWIW, if I need to substitute red wine, I always do it with beef stock

KerryKetosis Fri 18-Jan-13 21:45:36

you've been a good sport OP.

and this is how folk learn how to cook innit? grin

next time: keep it simple, yeah?

MrsHoarder Fri 18-Jan-13 21:48:23

Blather: I have images of someone driving a wine glass of gravy now grin

Blatherskite Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:47

Driving?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now