What have I done?! Come and save my Bolognese!

(176 Posts)
youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:13:01

I'm making tagliatelle spaghetti Bolognese. I used a mix of 400ml red grape juice and 100ml red wine vinegar as a substitute for red wine. It's been simmering for an hour and the smell is foul and the taste is, erm, vinegary. I've been chucking sugar into it but it doesn't seem to be making much difference. Can it be saved? I was thinking of reducing it right down and then boiling off milk through it before adding more tomato purée but I don't want to keep adding things if it's completely hopeless. What do I do?!

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:44:23

Milk is mellow? It seemed like a good idea, it can hardly make it worse and milk is a good ingredient in bolognese anyway.

I've just had a quick taste and it's marginally better with the milk and baking powder.

Do you think the folks on that page have very little experience of drinking red wine. Sure, it's fermented grape juice but it only tastes of vinegar if you let the opened bottle fester in you cupboard instead of drinking it like sensible people do. Honestly!

I can only imagine that the milk will go horribly wrong. You may has well chuck in some chocolate. Or, and this is what I suggest you do, you could abandon the bolognese and eat the whole bar of chocolate instead.

Grange Fri 18-Jan-13 20:46:17

I used to make bolognaise in the oven - receipe from that Fay actress (used to be in cold feet) anyway, that had milk added at the end and the kids adored it.
In this instance though - no help.

I made bolognaise sauce last week using a recipe for the slow cooker and it had 100ml of milk in it.

Instead of red wine I added a litle extra stock and a glug of worcester (sp) sauce.

HoneyDragon Fri 18-Jan-13 20:47:40

I've been known to use rw vinegar as a wine sub. But just a dash with some tomato purée

squoosh Fri 18-Jan-13 20:49:33

Grape juice and red wine vinegar as a substitute for red wine? WTF!!!

Firstly it's white wine in rag, not red. If you don't want to use wine, just leave it out don't try and be 'creative' with substitutes.

Also, milk is an ingredient in a traditional bolognese

HappyAsASandboy Fri 18-Jan-13 20:49:41

I stand corrected on the milk smile

You learn something every day!

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 20:51:00

Proper bolognese doesn't have tomato though, so six and half a dozen smile

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:53:03

Now it taste fizzy. Oh dear

squoosh Fri 18-Jan-13 20:55:08

ADMIT DEFEAT WOMAN! grin

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 20:55:42

Op you are cracking me up.

Add something else to take away the fizz, I have read peanut butter helps with this.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:56:18

Won't.

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 20:56:35

NO NO, don't stop. Keep going, keep pushing the bolognese boundaries.

MrsHoarder Fri 18-Jan-13 20:57:39

I'm crying with laughter here. Maybe try washing the mince and onion and try again if they aren't well picked by now

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 20:57:59

Gwan.

Tarragon is also a v underrated herb.

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 20:58:19

Fizzy?! Get it out your pot now grin

MrsHoarder Fri 18-Jan-13 20:58:43

Start stupid lemonade being fizzy. Maybe a tablespoonful will flatten your sauce?

squoosh Fri 18-Jan-13 20:58:53

What about Deep Heat? It will lend a certain piquancy.

youmaycallmeSSP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:59:35

I already rinsed it about 15 times. I know it's stupid to keep going but honestly, this was supposed to be doing 2 meals and a freezer bag and it's cost a fortune.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Fri 18-Jan-13 21:00:31

Coca cola! Works for Nigella in a completely different dish

Slubberdegullion Fri 18-Jan-13 21:00:45

Yy deep heat would be an exciting addition.

As would be lime jelly.

CharlieSilver Fri 18-Jan-13 21:01:03

bin bin bin OP before it explodes grin

Annunziata Fri 18-Jan-13 21:01:47

That's rotten honey. It shouldn't cost you a fortune, though, what's your recipe?

Trazzletoes Fri 18-Jan-13 21:02:20

Milk is yum in bolognaise!

OP, I REALLY think you need to admit defeat with this one!

KerryKetosis Fri 18-Jan-13 21:02:37

let it go luv, let it go... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now