Biblical Mumsnet

(272 Posts)
BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 06-Dec-12 10:59:31

TheVirginMary: AIBU to think that dh could have at least booked a hotel?

Relationships: DH is coveting our neighbours DW, should I LTB or wait for God to smite him?

Good Housekeeping: Feck! How do I get rid of a plague of locusts?

Avuncular Mon 17-Dec-12 17:06:42

Whinge? Who? Me? No I'm just being ingenious! Jesus went into the market place where the real people were. How would he have described himself on Facebook??

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Dec-12 17:01:07

>At least no-one seems to thing it's pure myth; there's be no point poking fun at it then, would there?

oh yes there would! grin <cue seasonal 'oh no there wouldn't'>

Avuncular Mon 17-Dec-12 16:57:58

Yes Schnappsdamnyou - I am, I am!! - eventually after all the frivolity evaporates, someone is going to ask - what on earth does it all MEAN? At least no-one seems to thing it's pure myth; there's be no point poking fun at it then, would there?

thewhistler Sat 15-Dec-12 10:02:50

I've just managed to bring peace to this unstable country and reached a coalition agreement with the occupying power. Now three foreign agents have warned me that there is a long term insurgency planned. But it's through a newborn, FGS.
WWYD?

Herod

Mynewmoniker Fri 14-Dec-12 18:24:58

Re the SatNav. I'm sure I typed in Bethlehem and we've ended up in Birmingham hmm Should I turn our camels round and start again?

GrimmaTheNome Fri 14-Dec-12 10:40:29

Eve: my lads Cain and Seth really need to settle down... but there's no girls at all around here. Any ideas? confused

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 13-Dec-12 20:59:13

Well, that's what the god I want to believe in does, anyway.

Abel: db seems angry with me all the time, I'm a bit scared. Wwyd?

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 20:50:56

I really hope so!

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 13-Dec-12 20:44:21

Thank you. I'm pretty sure that if he exists jesus would rather that we spend this time cherishing each other and making real effort to see family and friends, than making others feel bad.

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 19:37:47

I like that too.

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 19:05:33

Nicely put, blameit.

Let's be thankful for each other. smile

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 18:57:43

I wasn't going to comment on the accuracy but it seemed relevant after Joybelle's post. And an interesting tangent to a great thread.

BlameItOnTheChoirOfAngels Thu 13-Dec-12 18:31:39

For us, christmas isn't just about the birth of jesus (tbh, I'm agnostic) its about family, friends, sharing and haing fun. Being thankful for each other.

itsTwiiiiitmaaaaasss Thu 13-Dec-12 18:17:14

Which is why we are not celebrating Christmas this year, instead we will decorate our house with evergreens, exchange gifts with loved ones and have s bit of a do (nice dinner, bit of time off work etc)...

Really enjoying this thread although I don't know what some of the references are blush

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 18:01:26

Of course, they replaced the solstice with it didn't they?

SuffolkNWhat Thu 13-Dec-12 17:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 16:56:38

grin I remember several family Xmases where all the kids would be sleeping in a row under the dining table....

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 16:51:50

AIBU to think my bloody mother-in-law could have found us a space in the upper room instead of beside that wretched donkey?

She says it would never snap at bubba Jesus, but I've heard these Staffordshire mules are a vicious breed ...

JugglingMeYorkiesAndNutRoast Thu 13-Dec-12 16:49:55

Oh, that is all interesting Empress. Maybe this year at the crib service I'll imagine them all downstairs with a few of the animals in Joseph's family home. That seems quite likely really doesn't it - since everyone was returning to their home town for the census ?

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 16:37:11

<grin>
I'm an ex-Catholic with a DW who's doing her theology PhD so I pick stuff up.

I definitely don't think you have to believe the whole Bible literally to be Christian - I don't think it's even possible to believe it all literally given all the contradictions! It has some lovely stories and some horrendous ones. My favourite stories are in the Apocrypha, it has adventures with dragons and stuff.

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 16:30:29

Oh, I like that empress. There's a nice story I had when I was little about the innkeeper putting Mary and Joseph in with the animals because it was lovely and warm in there - which it would have been, I think, since animals are primitive central heating!

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 16:16:15

Oh and there's also the Grotto of the Nativity in Bethlehem which is meant to be where Jesus was born. Which is a cave. So the Nativity is a lovely story but apart from that...

EmpressOfTheNorthPole Thu 13-Dec-12 16:13:36

The God giving Jesus bit is a matter of opinion and faith. The innkeeper sending the poor parents in animal stable bit though - there's no Biblical basis for that at all. Even Luke, whose Gospel the Nativity is based on, doesn't mention stables. Or innkeepers. Manger, yes, but that's it.

He says the place with no room for Jesus was a 'kataluma' which can mean inn, but the only other time it appears in the Gospels it means a furnished 'upper room' (the upper room of the Last Supper) in a private house. The upper area of Joseph's family home for instance.
Also, it was quite normal in those days for some animals to be kept inside the house. Excavations in Israel have found a lot of evidence of carved or stone mangers in what would have been ground floor rooms. If the elder members of the family were filling the kataluma, maybe that meant Mary and Joseph had to go in with the animals.

Also, if the shepherds were watching their flocks by night it wasn't December!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 13-Dec-12 16:06:08

Anyone who wants to bah-humbug should start a Dickensian christmas thread grin

LRDtheFeministDude Thu 13-Dec-12 15:54:34

It is nice to get genuine good wishes at Christmas.

I did feel joy, perhaps unintentially, was rather rude. No doubt her job keeps her terribly busy (as jobs tend to ...), but if she'd had time to read the last few posts since her first one, she'd see several posters clearly do not 'give pressies to remember ... Christ'.

I am religious but I cringed a bit at that and I do hope, joy, you can perhaps take this in the spirit it is meant and realize that it can be a little bit offputting to people when you presume your beliefs are accepted by everyone else, instead of politely recognizing people's differences.

It does feel inappropriate on a light-hearted thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now