Just had the worst job interview ever. Anyone else care to share?

(314 Posts)
EggNogRules Mon 26-Nov-12 13:01:57

I am morto blush and angry at myself. I was in and out in 20 mins shock.

I am used to initiating meeting with new clients and thought I had prepared well. I was so nervous, I had to keep drinking water to stop my lips from sticking to my teeth. It was all I could think about. None of the answers I prepared were useful. I need to rewind and do over because I have better answers now (after the nick of time).

Bugger.

A friend of mine went for an interview at a well known large company. They asked at the end "do you have any questions for us?"

Now the question she was meant to ask was "do you find there are any elements of nepotism at XXXX?"

What she actually asked was "do you find there are any elements of necrophilia at XXXX?"

Amazingly, she still got the job!

GwenStacy Mon 27-Jan-14 12:56:48

I had an interview in a record shop and was asked what my favourite album was. I answered, and the interviewer asked what my least favourite album by this band was. I answered and then elaborated on how I hated the production on it, that I thought it was really over produced and that I tended to listen to live versions of the tracks instead.

At the end of the interview he revealed he was a producer on the second album :-(

DP interviewed for the JET scheme (teaching in Japan) at Uni.

Q - what books would you recommend to Japanese students to get a feel for modern Britain?
A - er...A Year In Provence? Oh and Dickens. Definitely Dickens.

Needless to say, he didn't partake in the JET scheme.

Humpyrumpy Mon 27-Jan-14 11:57:57

Oh my cheeks are burning. This is recent and still raw.
Short listed for v much wanted senior role. Had stinking cold at the time and was having trouble speaking. One Weeks notice of interview and a heavy workload, not to mention the pre Xmas prep that all Mums do, meant I finished my presentation at 1.30 am the morning of the interview, and then stupidly answered my phone at 7:00 for a work related call that I had to follow up, and so had to rush my hair and make up.
Pulled safe interview suit out of cupboard, only to discover it didn't fit. I has lost weight, but not realised just how big the trousers were. Decided to wear it anyway and keep jacket on.
Struggled to speak through presentation, made worse by having to compete with trains noisily rumbling past, and struggled to make myself heard.
Finally got to interview, and was so ill and exhausted that I just couldn't say anything coherent or sensible, so waffled on like I had a death wish. The cues from the panel told me I wasn't giving the answers they wanted, but still I carried on waffling, looking and feeling like death warmed up and attired like a sack of spuds.
And no I didn't get the job.

QueenTea33 Mon 27-Jan-14 09:58:49

I went for a job in a shop when I was about 18. The interview went pretty well, but they had lost my application form and asked if I would fill another one in. I agreed and the boss put me in the staff room because she had other people to interview. The staff room was tiny, it only had a table and chairs and staff lockers in it.

Anyway, I was filling it in and one of the staff members came in for something, but on her way out, she locked the door.

I didn't realise until I finished the form and went to open the door. I'm claustrophobic so I ended up freaking out, banging on the door, shouting, screaming and eventually crying. I was only stuck in there for 5 minutes, but I was an absolute state when the boss opened the door. I ran passed her, legged it down the stairs and flew out of the shop for some air.

She came outside to me and calmed me down, but I felt absolutely mortified. She offered me the job, but I couldn't take it after all that. I never set foot in that shop again.

ongoingjourney Fri 20-Dec-13 03:25:54

i had the worst job interview today... for a key holder position.. everything was going well until I the interviewer asked what were my strengths and weaknesses.. mind you, i practiced this answers the whole day prior to the interview.. I got through my strengths fine, but when asked my weakness .. i was honest and said "i can be a bit emotional" .. he asked me to explain, so i did, but once i started the water works also started.. I tried so hard to hold back the tears.. we continued the interview, but I have no clue if i got it sad ..

mirry2 Sun 04-Aug-13 17:40:27

Just realised I've just responded to a post written in november 2012!

mirry2 Sun 04-Aug-13 17:38:16

Fryonefat -well done. I wish I'd doent hat on a few occasions but never had the presence of mind.

Pawprint Sun 04-Aug-13 17:29:25

This thread is fab!

I went for an interview for a PR company that represented women's magazines. The guy who interviewed me suddenly grabbed my hand to 'check there isn't a wedding ring'. He also interviewed me over a glass table because he said he liked to look at women's legs through it.

I was so shocked by all of this, I started to nervously giggle. He then told me I had a good chance of getting the job but I later heard that he hadn't even invited me for a second interview.

The only good thing was that he gave me a massive stack of magazines to take home with me!

Another time, I was interviewed by a lady with a rather odd accent. She asked me if I'd had any experience of shifts. I thought she said 'Chefs' so I babbled on for ages about how I'd organised a large cocktail party for some clients in my previous job. The atmosphere was uncomfortable and I didn't get the job.

I have been for so many interviews and cocked so many up. Funnily enough, the one time I sailed through an interview and was employed straight away was for a job I didn't really want. I felt I couldn't turn down the job so accepted it. I worked there for a miserable year before finally resigning.

JambalayaCodfishPie Fri 12-Jul-13 18:37:16

Thank you, everyone who contributed to this wonderful thread.

I had, what I thought was a bad interview today. I searched the boards and..... well, I feel better now. grin

estrella79 Thu 27-Jun-13 18:44:14

I did what I thought was a good interview for a journalism position on a local newspaper - I really wanted the job, so much so I would have been prepared to relocate to take it. I was told I'd hear whether I'd been successful within a week. A fortnight later I'd heard nothing so telephoned them - they denied all knowledge of ever meeting me! Eventually I learned through the grapevine that instead of recruiting anyone they'd decided to spread the work between existing employees to save money. Cheers for telling me!!!!

Another journalism interview I have to confess I deliberately sabotaged, because the editor seriously gave me the creeps. "That's a nice dress you're wearing" he said as I entered the room. "It would look even better on my bedroom floor." Yuck!! When he asked me: "What newspapers do you read?" I answered: "None, they bore me, I prefer to watch the news on TV." I was overjoyed when I didn't get the job...

Campari Fri 07-Jun-13 01:30:48

My most embarrassing experience was when I was the interviewer.
At the time I was working at a riding holiday centre, & it was a live-in job so I had a small flat next door to the main office. A lot of people actually mistook my flat as the reception door unfortunately.
One afternoon after finishing work for the day, Id gone into my flat to shower and have a glass of wine..when lo & behold, the door pops open & a girl walks in as Im standing there in pyjamas, towel on head & me drinking my wine..she says "hi I'm here to speak to Campari, Ive come for my interview sorry I'm late..."
Well, bugger me sideways!!! shock. I was in such a fluster, totally offguard...so I ended up reading the riot act to her about waltzing into private staff residences & that it was after hours & us staff have lives outside of work.

It was years ago, but to this day I am mortified with how I reacted...must have been the Sauvignon Blanc.

Doughnutmaestro Sun 19-May-13 09:47:51

Love it! I'm terrible at interviews but one was particularly bad, I got every question completely wrong, stood at the back and occasionally barked orders at the rest of my team (build a bridge from straws...) I was totally anxious and when they said "why do you think you would like to work here (kids tourist attraction) I said and still cringe my boyfriend works here and he could give me a lift to work-- didn't get the job, good thing too as they laid off all the staff a few months later (the week before christmas) and hired students who were cheaper. Kept the boyfriend though and 13 years later is my dh.

imaginethat Sat 18-May-13 22:52:12

Interviewer v nice but for reasons unclear, I decided to stand up and walk over to the full length windows and look out at the view. Only it is double glazed and the internal glazing is so clean I misjudge the distance and bang my face on the glass. Leaving a full imprint of make up.

Boomerwang Wed 08-May-13 20:27:34

When I was about 21 I went for an interview after applying for a job as an 'IRC operator'. I'd been using IRC (Internet Relay Chat) for a long time and knew a lot about scripting and commands. The job description didn't seem that vague to me. It was about moderating channels, being friendly towards users and having knowledge of IRC to help others.

The interview was in an industrial estate and was difficult to find. When I finally got there I was interviewed by a guy with long hair and doc martens on, along with a girl wearing a nose ring with jet black hair and scruffy clothing who didn't say a word but played with her hair.

It slowly began to dawn on me that the position wasn't quite as advertised when they asked how I'd deal with 'dodgy punters'.

Turns out they wanted someone to work on a sex line, using IRC as a pick up point.

Whether to my credit or not, I said I'd probably do quite well if they gave me a chance. They looked at each other, then at me, and then said they'd be in touch.

Nope, I didn't get it.

Midlifecrisisarefun Mon 06-May-13 19:08:37

My first ever job interview when I was 18...I tripped over the step on the way in and landed in a heap in front of the panel of interviewers blush ....I didn't get the job!

FuckYouCystitis Mon 06-May-13 14:36:55

After an all-day interview I was shattered but thought I had done well, I was just about to stumble into the street and call DP to tell him how it had gone when one of the guys from my presentation came over to say goodbye.

I meant to say "Thank you, lovely to meet you" etc but in my distracted nervous/adrenaline fuelled state I think my brain thought I was already talking to DP and I said, "Thank you baby, I love you."

He frowned, said, "Er, thank you" and walked away. I was absolutely mortified!

I got the job. grin Guy from presentation has NEVER mentioned it.

MacaYoniAndCheese Mon 22-Apr-13 23:11:08

My first job interview after Uni required that I do an administrative tasks test. After sailing through the interview portion I was ushered into a small office (belonging to another person, who was present) and was given a disc (this was in the days of hard discs) with a list of tasks to complete. I sat down at the work station in the corner and attempted to insert the disc into the computer....but I couldn't find the slot. I don't know what kind of computer it was but it was very different from anything I'd encountered before and I couldn't figure out where the disc was supposed to go. I tried every orifice that looked even remotely slot-like but nothing worked! After 5 minutes I began to panic, sweat pouring down my carefully made-up face, all the while aware of the drone office's occupant spying on me working away at his desk in the middle of the room. I did not know what to do, I couldn't even read the list of tasks, let alone complete and print them out. So I did the only thing I could think of; grabbed my 'urban professional' bag, stuck out my chin and tottered on my brand new heels marched right out of that office without a backward glance.

I've never told anyone this story (I got a job offer the following week)...it's taken me 13 years to be able to even think about writing or speaking about it blush blush blush.

BlastAndDalmatians Wed 17-Apr-13 13:26:50

I had an interview at a mobile phone shop. The woman who gave me my "pre interview" told me they liked people to do their research on the company and advised me to get on their website and read as much as possible. Unfortunately my internet started playing up and I couldn't get near the website until the next morning about an hour before I was due to leave for the interview. I scribbled down some quick notes on things that looked good at read through them on the bus. Bus was rerouted so ended up ages away from where I should have been, trying to find my way there my new shoes rubbed my feet so much they bled and I had to call in to a chemist for blister plasters. Fortunately I had left early so none of this made me late.
I was interviewed by a lovely lady and thought I was doing well until she asked me what I knew about the company. My mind went totally blank and rather than being honest I just spluttered out half remembered bits of info: "ERM..you were recently bought by..um..another company...who have a funny name...you made profits of..something billion last year.." She just looked amused while I twittered on.
And then I asked if they would mind me having brightly coloured hair (it was blue black with a pink section at the time), she pointed out her own hair which was blonde with a red streak and said "they let me do this!" To which I replied "well I thought I'd ask anyway because it might be different for YOU" meaning of course that as she was the manager it might be OK, but it sounded like I was implying she was involved in dodgy goings on...

No I didn't get the job. They gave me feedback on it and it was apparently because I didn't have enough experience of target led sales. That and the fact I was a fool maybe!

Greenball Wed 17-Apr-13 12:15:10

I once interviewed someone who was wearing mules and tights and had a toe ring pushed on OVER the tights.

She didn't get the job.

Promotedbymailinglist Thu 11-Apr-13 18:14:03

OOh also i went for a temp to perm once and the stupid interviewer/team leader asked where I was from (a village just outside the town) then said 'you are all inbred out there aren't you, all weird and web toed'. I was feeling pretty pissed off, so I said 'ha ha and you wonder why all you townies get stabbed by people from x' - er I didn't become perm...

Promotedbymailinglist Thu 11-Apr-13 18:05:00

I was asked for interview for a masters that was paid for by a company Network Rail who were going to employ all masters graduates afterwards. They had two versions of the course, and candidates could select, one 'people management in projects' one 'project planning and management' - the second was the practical reporting stuff.

I said on the pre telephone interview that I thought I was better at the people stuff already, so had chosen the hard-edged practical course. Stupid duffer on the phone put me down for the wrong course. What fluffed it was that I guessed on the way in because one of the interviewers was from the 'people' course. Instead of saying 'I was expecting to be interviewed for the other course' and describing that I just kept saying 'I don't know' when they asked me what the course was about blush I told them on the way out but not before making an arse of myself..

The interviewer said I had done a good job,.. what a liar! grin

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 11-Apr-13 17:56:11

Me? Took job one as desperate but made it clear I was there to work only.

Job two no.

Job three yes but they left me running entire business inc managing seventeen staff, lied about wage and paid me everything on nmw so didnt stay.

YoniSoprano Thu 11-Apr-13 17:34:04

Really?! Wow. Did you take it?

whokilleddannylatimer Thu 11-Apr-13 17:29:28

I can think of three.

One, interviewer takes his top off to show me his scars from an extreme sport accident and makes the comment while shirtless that the previous girl had not wanted to advance her career enough. (found out later he was sleeping with her but she stopped it when she found out about his wife and child).

Two, sent by an agency to a so called established successful business. Got to building, buzzed in, no one has heard of this company, both floors empty that its meant to be on. (other companies on other floors)

Rang agency and they rang company. A man came down to meet me, his successful business comprised of his tiny box office, no other staff, he wanted a pa for ALL his needs.

Job 3 interviewee before me clearly knows five of panel, they all have a good chat about each others dc, up coming nights out, they are then awful with me.
I finish up and head out as we were told to wait for an answer and my mum phones so i walk outside, I tell her they are a bunch of stuck up tossers, its obvious who's got job and they can fuck off for wasting my time. Just as head of panel heads out to ask me to come inside , they are offering me the job...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now