I've learnt a shitload of stuff!

~ That it's possible to buy frozen, chopped onions
~ That there are people who drink more wine than I do
~ That my relationship is amazing and that my DP is a wonder
~ That I'm even more judgemental than I thought
~ That everyone is judging me all the time, and how little I care
~ That I should meal-plan
~ That I should be grateful every day for my health and that of my family
~ That I should be grateful that my DC will eat whatever is put in front of them

And mostly

~ That it doesn't matter what someone needs, someone else will know the answer/how to get it. Or will just do a bit of handholding until everything's better.

hackmum Tue 12-Jun-12 18:26:56

That I'm not the only person who gets referred to in consultants' letters as "this pleasant lady". That was a blow, I can tell you.

amillionyears Tue 12-Jun-12 18:36:06

That unfortuneately there seems to be many more people with mental health issues than I thought.
That there are many more people willing to be agony aunties or uncles than I thought.
That people from all walks of life can have decent conversations with each other.I did always think that,but it actually doesnt happen so often in real life,does it.

hidingbeneathanamechange Tue 12-Jun-12 18:37:11

That women are there for each other, when times are hard. Sometimes it is hard to see that in real life.

It doesn't matter how obscure your question, someone will have the answer.

BasilBabyEater Tue 12-Jun-12 18:43:52

That some people get inordinately upset about pierced ears on children
That the sexual revolution only seems to have happened for men
That I'm very, very lucky

mayaswell Tue 12-Jun-12 18:45:37

That the received wisdom that children are resilient and will adapt to most situations is usually bullshit - I've read some stories of people's childhoods on here that have made me cry for an hour after reading them. All of you who had crap parents, you make me humble, and I'm grateful for your hard won experience.
And that domestic violence is common, and as awful as it ever was.

That I'm not the only one who enjoys squeezing spots blush

mycarscallednev Tue 12-Jun-12 19:35:22

That there are other people out there who have the same nightmares finding support for their SEN children, and they care and are prepared to offer help when you are desperate and feel there is no one there who either cares or knows what to do. I would be lost without the SEN board and all those who post there. Its a lifeline that we need more than words can say.

GeorgeEliot Tue 12-Jun-12 19:41:33

LWW hadn't heard the spot squeezing one before. Sometimes I chase my teenage ds round the house to get at his!!

diabolo Tue 12-Jun-12 19:42:27

That people are a lot more bolshy on the internet, than they are in real life - (me included).

NormaStanleyFletcher Tue 12-Jun-12 19:49:15

YY to the squeezing spots
How lucky I am
The word "twunt"
Mars Lady's LDC - oh yes
BF stuff
BLW
Acronyms rule

Brices Tue 12-Jun-12 20:04:35

The shred exercise DVD
C25k jogging
Paul McKenna thin hypnosis
Flylady cleaning system

If in doubt to leave the bastard

A lot of sleep deprived parents out there

fivefoottwowitheyesofblue Tue 12-Jun-12 20:10:31

That you can put lunch bags in the washing machine! Who knew?!

Great thread!

MN has taught me:
- there is nowt queerer than folk...everyone is different, be free of judgement until you know someone but fully expect to be judged yourself
- not to google dragon butter
- how to make awesome flapjacks
- that feminism is still 100% relevant in today's society but that radical feminist are, erm, not my cup of tea at all
- there is a fabulous SN community out there. Hello smile

PenguinArmy Tue 12-Jun-12 20:13:07

actually I have been thinking that I owe MN a great deal of thanks recently.

it really helped to be the kind of parent I want to be. I know the labelling of parenting styles on here is sometimes frowned upon but it exposed me to a lot of different techniques. This meant I didn't/don't automatically fall back to parenting how i was parented.

practical stuff like BLW and BF as well and that it doesn't matter what you post on AIBU people will still find a way to flame you. I have also been shocked at how many households seem to run a 1950's policy.

A lot of sad for the awful relationships some people go through as well as other hard times.

the humour at times as well is brilliant

That I am a feminist.
That other women woke up every morning whilst on maternity leave wondering how the fuck they were going to get through the next 10 hours until their DH got home.
And that going back to work was therefore the best thing I could do.
BFing advice, BLW, that a 9mo that doesn't sleep through the night is normal, that BFing till 12mo is normal.
That my MIL is not that bad.
That I am extremely lucky; to live without worrying day to day about money; to have a DH who pulls his weight, without having to be asked; and most of all, despite a shaky start, to have a healthy NT DS.
And loads more.

I have pieced together my own parenting philosophy almost entirely thanks to MN. In the absence of a large family to learn from, or a close-knit community, I had absolutely zero exposure to children before having my own. Without MN goodness only knows what I'd be doing with them!

forehead Tue 12-Jun-12 20:31:35

That i have the most wonderful dh .
That i am being constantly judged
That there are many interesting and intelligent women(i never get to meet them in real life)
That there are some nice mils
That most people who post in aibu, don't actually think that they are being unreasonable.
That i am not the only woman who found bf difficult

oldromantic Tue 12-Jun-12 20:32:59

that i need to join mumsnet!!!

YY to all the above

And
- when/how to properly deploy the complete sentence, "No".
- when/how to properly deploy the phrase "fuck the fuck off to the far side of fuck and when you get there, fuck off some more"

thekidsrule Tue 12-Jun-12 20:41:49

that i seem to live another life to alot of some MNers (poor and carp education in comparision)

some good advice given

has made me have more empathy with people in general,more than before i joined

some post back on just to have a rage and be offensive just because they can

mixed bag really

Geranium3 Tue 12-Jun-12 20:46:32

i've learnt:
where to buy the yummiest vanilla brioche ever! (aldi)
that you can have a real mutual laugh on mumsnet
likewise there is true compassion but also some real bitches

Oblomov Tue 12-Jun-12 20:52:05

That not that many people feel the same way about things as I do.

Cosmosis Tue 12-Jun-12 20:59:40

It's a classic; mooncups grin

Far, far too many specific things to list here, but

To be a better mum, a better wife and a better person.

<smarmy sentimental emoticon>

FourEyesGood Tue 12-Jun-12 21:03:59

Undoubtedly TMI, but:
That using Femfresh instead of shower gel means I can have a clean yet non-itchy fanjo (thanks to Bupcakes and her 'vagine' thread grin). The last few months have been much more pleasant than the previous six years or so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now