Come and fess up to the ways in which you are really square/bit of a nerd

(417 Posts)
baubleybobbityhat Mon 09-Jan-12 20:42:20

I love a nice big jigsaw, me. Preferably something like a thatched cottage surrounded by flowers.

I am too embarrassed to do them at home because my 80 year old mother and inlaws who are in their 70s share my enthusiasm and I just think if any of my uber-cool London creative/media-type mates came calling and saw a bugger like that on my dining table they would think I was a very sad case and immediately drop me.

JayVazzle Mon 09-Jan-12 21:38:05

Ooo and I have to watch antiques roadshow, dd and I love to have a guess at the value of the stuff and who ever gets the most wrong has to put the kettle on.

I am maybe edging from geeky into sad.

Ambrosius Mon 09-Jan-12 21:38:36

I love Terry Pratchett, Historical fiction, stationary and professional wrestling.

mrsjay Mon 09-Jan-12 21:38:40

I think David attenburgh is a god grin i even watched his life of plants hmm

EqualStevens Mon 09-Jan-12 21:39:01

I'm obsessed with cryptic crosswords. Not in an endearing 25 minutes on the commute kind of way, but I get obsessed until I have completed that day's puzzle.

mrsjay Mon 09-Jan-12 21:39:46

I have no idea what # tag means but i think that is because im old rather than square

naturalbaby Mon 09-Jan-12 21:40:24

online jigsaws?!? this could be the answer to my dreams. i miss my jigsaws and have always resisted temptation to buy one but gaze longingly at them every time i see them in shops. ds1 is 3 so they're almost fun to do!

i too would rather stay home to clean and tidy.

malinois Mon 09-Jan-12 21:41:21

* I do Gauss-Jordan elimination in my head during boring meetings
* My party trick is to demonstrate the relativistic equivalence of electricity and magnetism via the Lorentz transform while drunk. I usually get it wrong, but luckily everyone will have nervously backed away by then.
* I have a tattoo of Dungeons and Dragons dice (d20, d12, d8 etc)
* I read SF and fantasy almost exclusively
* I have a subscription to 2000AD
* I know Linux, UNIX and VMS inside-out but have never used Windows
* I am building an Arduino-powered sound sensitive LED lighting matrix for DS's (14mo) bedroom, that will hopefully respond in different ways to claps, shouts, singing etc. Or possibly explode in a shower of sparks. Could go either way at this point.
* I really like making lists

LeQueen Mon 09-Jan-12 21:41:57

Of course, that should read Henry V hmm

moondog Mon 09-Jan-12 21:43:56

Mal, you sound terrifying. grin

LeQueen Mon 09-Jan-12 21:44:56

And, I have crushes on historical figures particularly William Marshall and Henry II, and read anything/everything them...

mrsjay Mon 09-Jan-12 21:45:07

you all sound really clever blush im a bit geeky but a bit thick grin

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 09-Jan-12 21:45:28

I think Douglas Adams was the most amazing writer who has ever lived.

I also like books with magic and elves. and anything written by Julia Donaldson.

My favourite band is Good Charlotte.

I love Comic book movies (X-men/Spiderman/Watchmen) but I don't actually read comic books (or graphic novels as DH insists I call them wink)

I can spend hours playing with Lego.

I find Child Development theories fascinating. Seriously, I am doing a degree in Early Years Education and even the other students on my course think I'm way to into this whole 'early years' thing....

moondog Mon 09-Jan-12 21:45:47

www.jigzone.com for all jigsaw addicts smile

I'm going to do one now, in fact smile

Littlepurpleprincess Mon 09-Jan-12 21:49:15

oooo and I have asthma and eczema. I have zero co-ordination and I am terrified of sport and footballs.

JayVazzle Mon 09-Jan-12 21:50:14

Littleprincess - I am obsessed with binding and attachment theory after studying it and bored my poor poor DB with it when my nephew was about half a day old blush

CMOTDibbler Mon 09-Jan-12 21:50:33

I love physics. Always have, and can talk for far too long about my job.

Big sci fi and fantasy fan, and like nothing more than a good science documentary.

JayVazzle Mon 09-Jan-12 21:51:14

Omfg I mean bonding not binding.

I do not believe in binding small
Children I promise.

I am a massive geek.

I too love dictionaries and insist on correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
I love a jigsaw but will only do them by myself. I can't bear anyone interfering by adding pieces.
I love libraries, but only ones at institutions of learning.
I like to make patchwork cushion covers.
I only listen to radio 4 (I am 30)

Dawndonna Mon 09-Jan-12 21:52:32

We have around 3,000 books. Is it nerdy to have them arranged according to the Dewey Decimal System?

blush

redrubyshoes Mon 09-Jan-12 21:54:49

I write down the names of the Stobart trucks when I see them in a little book.

The names are just above the wheel arch below the driver's door if any one is interested.

<deep shame>

openyerlugholes Mon 09-Jan-12 21:57:37

I'm not much of a nerd, I think. Although I did have a pathological love of physics at school.

I am undoubtedly square though. Love jigsaws, lists, anal about housework, detest slang and swearing (read MN through half closed eyes with permanent distaste etched on my face). That may constitute 'prude' more than 'square' though.

AfternoonNap Mon 09-Jan-12 21:57:39

I go to church - terribly unfashionable.....
weevilswobble, could we be long lost twins? Songs of Praise and Countryfile - Only a nice cuppa and a fig roll can top that.

AttillaTheMum Mon 09-Jan-12 21:58:39

I sew and do cross stitch. I love musicals too <<happy sigh>>

AttillaTheMum Mon 09-Jan-12 21:59:11

Also go church grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now