Weird things your teachers did, which they would be fired for today.....

(440 Posts)
muriel76 Tue 27-Sep-11 19:15:13

Bit of a random question, but I was chatting with an old school friend the other day and we were remembering our teacher at primary school having a new bathroom fitted and she wanted to check how the workmen were doing.

The whole class was told to 'line up at the door' and off we marched down the road to her house, with teacher leading the way (small town BTW she lived near the school!) but no other adults in sight.

We then all sat in her back garden while she chatted to the plumber!

Ok this was back in the 80s but it made me think - you would never get away with this today.

Anyone else got a similar story from before the days of the national curriculum and parental consent forms etc?!

PorkChopSter Tue 27-Sep-11 19:29:33

I should add... her name was Miss Double grin

We used to have a very glamourous English teacher who wore short skirts. She enjoyed the attention she got from the pre-pubescent boys in the class and when they cheekily used to ask her stand on a table to reach something (so they could look up her skirt), she used to happily oblige hmm

VikingBlood Tue 27-Sep-11 19:32:57

DH works in a school which still has blackboards shock and he still chucks chalk at the kids.

mousymouse Tue 27-Sep-11 19:34:59

chemistry teacher in grade 10: making wine from apples (stolen from a property close to the school), distilling the wine and drinking the spirit. not a lot spirit from a 3 gallon demi john, though, none of us got drunk, only tipsy grin

We had a teacher at school (circa 1980) who used to come back drunk in the afternoons!! shock

PastGrace Tue 27-Sep-11 19:36:31

My drama teacher promised she would bring her new kittens for us to see, but had a change of heart because she thought the whole class would be too loud and scare them. My friend and I must have looked heart broken, because she then announced instead we were doing pair work "character studies" in the town. Everyone had half an hour to create a story about someone they walked past in the street. She paired us up (leaving me with my friend) and then let everyone go off slightly staggered, leaving my pair until last. Then she said "quick, into the car" and drove the two of us to her house for a cup of tea and to play with the kittens. Back in time for the end of the class where we "ran out of time" before our turn to perform our character study!

I loved her.

cyb Tue 27-Sep-11 19:36:44

Our maths/Pe teacher made the pretty girls kiss him on the cheek before they were allowed to leave the form room to go to the loo

Our PE Mistress offered to help us insert our tamons if we found it hard

yoshysmum Tue 27-Sep-11 19:37:35

We had a science teacher who threw a boy down three flights of stairs for misbehaving in his class. He was greatgrin

An english teacher who was also the deputy head, took us for english whilst our teacher was on sick leave. He used to rub himself against the table in front of him, give a big sigh after 5 mins or so and then sit down and sleep for the rest of the lesson.[shocked] We didn't learn much english that term, but we had fun putting all sorts of different things in his open mouth as we knew he couldn't tell us offgrin

GetAwayFromHerYouBitch Tue 27-Sep-11 19:38:10

Primary school teacher that most of the boys worshipped (1970s) used to throw blackboard rubbers at children. He also once hauled a fighting boy up from the floor by his ear.

My final-year Infants teacher used to go round the room opening and slamming all the cupboards when she was angry

orangehead Tue 27-Sep-11 19:38:19

English teacher would throw the board rubber at peoples heads if they weren't listening.
Not that bad but still upsets me to do this day. About 7 and was learning about Symmetrical shapes. Teacher said most people had Symmetrical faces and went round the table pointing to everyone saying 'you have a symmetrical face' expect for me. I asked what about me and he said I didn't becaus of the huge birthmark I have on my face, que laughing from everyone. Up until that point I had never really noticed my birthmark. It really upset me.

dexter73 Tue 27-Sep-11 19:38:25

We had a creepy male teachers who made the boys take their trousers off if they put their hands in their pockets.

cleanteeth Tue 27-Sep-11 19:39:24

I know this is a bit controversial but do you not think kids were better behaved when teachers were allowed to act like this? Not some of the weird stuff they did like hitting kids but just something to make them a bit more scary sometimes. None of the kids these days seem to be a bit scared of their teachers so they know they can just do whatever they want.

BestisWest Tue 27-Sep-11 19:39:31

We had a history teacher (1970's) who would make you bend over and then he would draw a car number plate on the back of your skirt or trousers with the letters TWP 1 (Twp in Welsh meaning stupid). Can you imagine the outcry today.

I used to get a lift off of my history teacher if i saw him at Safeway on the way to school, he also used to routinely take the piss out of the length of my skirt, said he could always tell the weather by the length (oddly, they got shorter as the days grew colder...)

My art teachers were hysterical, on the cusp of retirement and complete loons, married couple, and he used to send you outside to sweep the playground as punishment for any transgressions...after first instructing you on how to sweep properly....

notnowImreading Tue 27-Sep-11 19:40:47

Mrs S at primary school used to pull out wobbly teeth by tying them to the door handle and slamming the door.

Mr S at middle school invented a 'wide game' which involved him trying to hit you with a cricket ball (he was a crack shot).

Mr C the physics teacher at secondary used to teach gravity by climbing out of the fourth floor window amd dangling by his arms, still lecturing, then flipping back in gymnastic style. We used to have to do some calculation with the height of the building and his weight while was hanging there and you got the feeling that if you weren't fast enough at the equation it would be your fault if he plummeted to his death.

At sixth form the teachers just shagged my friends. Not me though as was not attractive until 21 when discovered tweezers.

AuntieMoanica Tue 27-Sep-11 19:41:18

we had a nun who would kick boy's shins

loads of teachers smoked in class

and my DS's school HEAD used to smoke in his office and all the kids knew if he wasn't in there, he was in the bookies

Zippylovesgeorge Tue 27-Sep-11 19:41:54

One teacher used to wash peoples mouthes out with soap is they said anything she didn't like - not swearing but just getting answers wrong sad

Another used to regularly hit us around the head as a punishment.

Trust me there were some evil teachers in my 70's primary school - they'd be locked up for life now.

muriel76 Tue 27-Sep-11 19:42:17

Some - in fact, most - of these are utterly shock

I don't think I can single one out!!

We had a male teacher in the last year of juniors in the late 70s, if you were talking too much he would call you over to his desk all softly softly and you would think he just wanted to get you to answer a question or something, when you go to his chair he would grab you by the arm, put you over his lap and smack your bottom.

When I was doing my A levels at college, one of the lecturers frequently failed to show up at all (especially not funny when you had been hanging around for three hours since your last lecture and could have gone to hang round the shopping centre home) and most of the times he did show up he was clearly pissed as a fart.

muriel76 Tue 27-Sep-11 19:43:58

Actually, I can.....

Mr C the physics teacher at secondary used to teach gravity by climbing out of the fourth floor window amd dangling by his arms, still lecturing, then flipping back in gymnastic style.

Priceless!!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 27-Sep-11 19:44:14

Hmm, first year at school, a lamb and a calf were brought into class for us to see. Of course they pissed and shat everywhere, but nothing that a light sprinkling of sawdust could not remedy.

In secondary, our home ec teacher who used to slap us on the bum with a chalky hand. Chalky hand prints were totalled at the end of the lesson and term for extra punishment, which looking back, always seemed to include us being on our knees, bums in air in our netball skirts - 'so we did not get our uniform dirty'.

Our science teacher who told us how to make minor incendiary devices, and made it clear that he was not averse to us, ahem, experimenting ourselves. Indeed, it would only make us better scientists.

Ah, happy days!

PastGrace Tue 27-Sep-11 19:44:51

notnow my friends were CONVINCED I was having an 'affair' with a (single) teacher (who didn't even teach me, so not sure where they got it from). Nothing ever happened, he was entirely professional and I didn't fancy him anyway.

Now I've grown up a bit, a little bit of me wishes I had. It would have been the most rebellious thing I'd ever done.

Ripeberry Tue 27-Sep-11 19:44:51

We had a teacher who would get hold of the hair just behind your ear and twist it (usually boys) when he got cheek off anyone.
All teachers used to chuck the board rubbers at people.
My French teacher rapped me on the knuckles with a ruler because I could not recite a verb properly.
One music teacher got so fed up of one pupil that he threw him out of the window after throwing some chairs at him (only 1st floor).
I believe he was sacked.

But the discipline at the school went totally downhill from 1987 when teachers were not allowed to 'touch' the kids.
It was a rough school hmm

ImperialBlether England Tue 27-Sep-11 19:44:53

Cyb, you said "Our PE Mistress offered to help us insert our tamons if we found it hard"

You have GOT to tell us more than that!

ooh my P7 teacher was locked up sad weirdo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now