Useless facts. Share yours. No googling allowed.

(454 Posts)
SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 12:57:16

Mona Lisa has no eyebrows.

Its illegal for a woman to eat chocolate on a bus.

111,111 x 111,111 = 12345654321

loopylou6 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:02:31

Hairspray removes biro off leather couches.

Your foot is the exact size as the area between your inner elbow and the bottom of your wrist.

loopylou6 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:03:55

Illegal for a woman to eat choc on the bus? Really?

loopylou6 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:05:44

Oh oh oh, and in Chester, you are allowed to kill on the walls of Chester using a bow and arrow.hmm

SecretNutellaFix Sun 05-Jun-11 13:07:54

loopylou6- not quite right. You are allowed to kill a Welshman with a bow and arrow after dusk in Chester.

loopylou6 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:09:17

Ahh I was close grin

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 13:10:10

Ok I googled to make sure what my English teacher told me was true. www.vincelewis.net/law.html

ShimmeryPixie Sun 05-Jun-11 13:10:21

The soft part on the bottom of a horse's hoof is called a frog.

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 13:11:27

Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman aren't Australian by birth.

SecretNutellaFix Sun 05-Jun-11 13:11:41

you cannot tickle yourself.

EduStudent Sun 05-Jun-11 13:13:38

Bees don't have bum holes.

Cows have 32 teeth.

There is an arrow in between the E and X of FedEx.

Aldi is essentially 2 different companies, owned by the same people. Aldi South and Aldo North. We have Aldi South in the UK.

Birmingham has more canals than Venice.

If the original Barbie had been a woman, her ankles would have snapped as they weren't thick enough to support her body.

transferbalance Sun 05-Jun-11 13:15:56

if you combined all the dna from bacteria that live on you with your own dna, then you would be more bacterium than human

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 13:16:03

'Birmingham has more canals than Venice.' Edu, that fact could have won my quiz team a bottle of champers and £50. Did they listen to me? No. I did enjoy the quiet smugness i radiated when the correct answers were announced though. grin

It's an offence to eat mince pies on christmas day.

MarisCrane Sun 05-Jun-11 13:18:44

Smoking a Shisha pipe for one hour is equivalent to 100 cigarettes

if you pick out the little leftover bit of green stalk from the top of a satsuma and count the number of little dots you can see in a circle in the hole it will be the same as the number of segments

this is not entirely useless - it has won me a few bets

Bucharest Sun 05-Jun-11 13:21:30

Rome is wetter than Manchester.

I read something really interesting about the Lithuanian language the other day but am buggered if I can remember, something about it being nearer to latin than Latin or something a bit boggly.

The 3 most bankrolled by the USA countries in the world per capita are Georgia, South Korea and Israel. (i read that in a very anti-US book by Chomsky so he might have been telling porkies to prove his point)

Basques, Georgians (again) and some tribe in Finland all have similar blood traits making anthropologists think they are related.

Aborigines were not from Australia, ergo, they learned to use boats when everyone else was boshing each other on the head with clubs and grunting.

(most of this facts come from Bill Bryson I realise....)

Bucharest Sun 05-Jun-11 13:22:04

You can't wee while clenching your teeth. (that was a pelvic floor one) grin

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 13:23:35

Sooo trying that Bucharest. grin Does it work for mild incontinence too?

Lauzifer Sun 05-Jun-11 13:25:27

Polar bear fur isn't white

MoonGirl1981 Sun 05-Jun-11 13:28:57

Brown Malt Vinegar repells nits. They litterally run down the forehead and nect to escape but die too quickly to get very far.

Slug have four noses.

Babies are born without kneecaps.

amberleaf Sun 05-Jun-11 13:32:25

If you have a 'stuck' sneeze looking at a turned on light bulb or towards to sun will get it out!

Cant wait for my next wee to try Bucharests teeth clenching one!

EduStudent Sun 05-Jun-11 13:32:36

Your arm span is the same as your height.

There are more germs in ear wax than urine.

Your skin is your heaviest body organ.

You cannot die from a lack of sleep.

Your heart is in the middle of your chest, not to the left, as per common belief.

A snail can sleep for 3 years.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 05-Jun-11 13:46:41

Margaret Thatcher invented Mr. Whippy ice cream, or at least she was one of the team that developed it, when she was a chemist.

Portofino Sun 05-Jun-11 13:48:46

Hubbly bubbly pipes are (specifically) forbidden at the open air swimming pool in Huizingen, Belgium - there is a big sign up.

Now I did think such an item wouldn't normally be on anyone's list to take swimming......grin

JuicyLips Sun 05-Jun-11 13:48:52

If you sneeze with your eyes open your eye balls with pop out of the sockets. (Have no idea how true this is)

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 13:49:28

Horses cannot be sick. Nor do they have a collar bone.

Sloths grow algae on their fur.

You cannot sneeze and keep you eyes open.

Only female mosquitoes bite. And only when they are egg laying. That should still be banned.

Shaving does not make hair thicker.

Effanol is the best nail strengthened ever. Fact. Just make sure you buy clear, not black sad

BuntyPenfold Sun 05-Jun-11 13:50:12

Cherenkov radiation only occurs with a rapid deceleration of superrelativistic particles in atmosphere.

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 13:50:43

When flies take off they fly backwards. Always aim behind the fly when battering to death.

EduStudent Sun 05-Jun-11 13:51:02

WD40 is named because it is a Water Dispersant and it took 40 attempts to perfect the formula.

PlayDoh gets it's smell from having kerosene in it. Kerosene is used to fuel jets.

Smoke alarms contain a small amount of radioactive material.

SandStorm Sun 05-Jun-11 13:52:33

On Christmas Eve in Belgium (or similar country) children are allowed to throw bananas at policemen.

DirtyBit Sun 05-Jun-11 13:52:54

The & symbol is called an ampersand.

aliceliddell Sun 05-Jun-11 13:55:49

Nicholas Parson's dad was the doctor who delivered baby Margaret Thatcher.

Psammead Sun 05-Jun-11 14:00:17

Barn owls are the only species of non-Typical owls found in the wild in Europe.

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 14:00:48

Snail sex involves shooting little darts made of calcium at each other. Apparently this tingled and makes them happy snails.

amberleaf Sun 05-Jun-11 14:01:17

SarahStratton re Effanol? is that something to do with horse grooming?

How would you use/get it?

I remember a long time ago i had a hand and nail cream by bariel [?] that mentioned on the leaflet that the formula was developed using something to do with horse grooming after the stable girls reported their nails growing lovely after using whatever it was while looking after their horses.

My nails grow really quickly but break easily so please share if its something i can use without having to get a horse!

PamSco Sun 05-Jun-11 14:02:34

Dog whelks have the longest penis in relation to thier own body length of all animals

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 14:03:39

Yes it's a hoof pomade. You can get it online or at any tack shopost feed merchants. I read the same article!

boolifooli Sun 05-Jun-11 14:03:52

The human body bounces 7ft when dropped from several thousand feet.

keep Sun 05-Jun-11 14:10:59

Alan Titchmarch has three testicles, as does Rio Ferdinand and Gerald Depardieau.

In 1978 Maria El Tito of Los Angeles had consecutive sex with 138 midgets who were all dressed as munchkin characters from the wizard of oz.

Male Anteaters can have erections that last for three months.

Mrs lesley Haines was born with two sets of make genitalia and had a sucessful sex change to become a woman when she was 25.

Pigs can be taught to moonwalk.

It was once illegal in Chelmsford to drink cider in the company of an unmarried woman.

Herons can be taught to touch type with their beaks.

Robert Langley pushed a 33 ton monster truck from Idaho to New York over 13 days, surviving on a diet of diet Orange soda and Hershey bars.

If you take the first letter of your favourite food and add it to the last letter of the town where you were born you get the initials of your father in law.

QOD Sun 05-Jun-11 14:14:37

You can't lick your elbow

amberleaf Sun 05-Jun-11 14:15:17

SarahStratton, sorry to be a pain, do you think you could post a link to the exact product from a website selling it as ive done a search and all i could find was black or green which im assuming is not what id want to put on my nails?!

Im not a horsey person so im clueless!

Thank you smile

CroissantNeuf Sun 05-Jun-11 14:17:10

Pigs can't look up at the sky

If you make a fist with your hand and measure around it , it will equal the length of your foot

methodsandmaterials Sun 05-Jun-11 14:17:23

You have more cells in the tip of your finger than there are people in China.

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 14:26:18

One in four people has a hole in the heart (foramen ovale partially unclosed).

Glycerin is better than hand cream for smoothing your hands.

Calcium prevents iron absorption, so you shouldn't drink milk with your iron supplement ...
... but milk aids the absorption of Vitamin C ...
... which assists with iron absorption.
confused
Not sure if the last one's true, but would really like to know as I have to take both iron and calcium supps!

Seasick, thanks for that highly entertaining link! I'm not far from Hereford, so will be off to shoot Welsh men in the Cathedral - but not today, being a Sunday. Oh, and I'll need to purchase and learn to use a longbow grin

gastrognome Sun 05-Jun-11 14:26:37

In Romanian, "carp" is crap, "poplar" is plop, and "ball" is minge

Guaranteed to set my inner five year old off sniggering.

"Glycerin is better than hand cream for smoothing your hands." Also great as a skin scrub when mixed with seasalt or brown sugar.

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 14:28:39

Ooh, methods, and there are more nerve endings in a fingertip than in the head of a penis or clitoris!

Loving all these equal body length factoids.

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 14:30:45

Seasick, thanks for that highly entertaining link! I'm not far from Hereford, so will be off to shoot Welsh men in the Cathedral - but not today, being a Sunday. Oh, and I'll need to purchase and learn to use a longbow

haha! Anytime. smile

5inthebed Sun 05-Jun-11 14:32:30

You burn more calories faking an orgasm than having a real one.

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 14:35:58

Where do you buy glycerin from?

5inthebed Sun 05-Jun-11 14:39:13

Cake shops? It's used in cake making.

SaltNSauce Sun 05-Jun-11 14:39:34

Is Playdoh flammable then?

SeasickSteveIsMyBoyfriend Sun 05-Jun-11 14:39:50

Hahaha! I was thinking DIY shops. grin

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 14:39:51

Cheaper at the chemist, they keep it with the sore throat stuff.

loopylou6 Sun 05-Jun-11 14:40:06

An erect penis is the same length as the very start of the hand to the tip of his middle finger.

amberleaf Sun 05-Jun-11 14:41:31

SarahStratton

Think ive found it? im assuming the yellow one is the right one?

www.supplementsolutions.co.uk/store/effol-hoof-ointment.html

A Sea Dart surface-to-air missile has a range of approximately 80km and costs around £1m to fire.

If you put fresh kiwi or pineapple in a jelly, it will not set - due to an enzyme in the fruit that breaks down protein in the gelatine.

England fast bowler Chris Tremlett is 6' 8" tall.

AuntieMonica Sun 05-Jun-11 14:47:18

McCaws are left handed, they will invariably reach for a tit-bit with their left claw.

Cooked cheese is of higher calorific value than un-cooked.

Rats also cannot vomit (as well as horses)

CoffeeDodger Sun 05-Jun-11 14:51:44

I am a font of useless facts, but do you think i can recall any right now?

Acekicker Sun 05-Jun-11 14:55:21

The guy who had to stay in the command module while Neil Amstrong and Buzz Aldrin bounced about making history was called Michael Collins.

I am on a one woman mission to make sure this guy gets mentioned whenever there is an opportunity. I feel bad that history has already pretty much forgotton about him (if he ever even really registered).

doofenshmirtz Sun 05-Jun-11 14:56:12

Me too Coffee. I'm playing by the rules and not googling. Nothing is springing to mind though.

faverolles Sun 05-Jun-11 15:11:29

I have just successfully weed whilst clenching my teeth. Am I super-talented?

Tortoiseshell cats are female.

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 15:13:47

One in ten cats are ginger, and one in four ginger cats are female. I only know this because I've got one of the female ones. I thought she must be a tom!

Bucharest Sun 05-Jun-11 15:15:44

Faverollesgrin do you have to tuck your pelvic floor into your shoes?

If not, then yes,you must be indeed super-talented. Or a man.

Bucharest Sun 05-Jun-11 15:16:48

(the thing I read said teeth clenching was connected to firm pelvic floors. In case anyone was wondering about the connection!)

sassyTHEFIRST Sun 05-Jun-11 15:19:46

1 in 4 children conceived in Western Europe during last 10 years was concieved in/on an Ikea bed

Only 0.3% of Britain's population can accurately reply "yes" to the phrase "Bob's your uncle"

Penguins are the only bird that swap sexual favours for things.. nesting materials, fish etc.

AuntieMonica Sun 05-Jun-11 15:21:47

Daffodils are poisonous

Narcissus flowers are edible

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous but the stalks (obviously) are not

faverolles Sun 05-Jun-11 15:22:02

blush not so proud of myself now! grin

86% of statistics are made up.

BatsInTheSnowglobe Sun 05-Jun-11 15:24:26

It is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas day - then what's the point in mince pies! grin

Mince pies did used to have meat in them. Ugh.

BrainThrustMastery Sun 05-Jun-11 15:32:26

The Michelin Man is called Bibendum grin

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 15:32:37

I thought daffodils were narcissi? <staunchly refusing to google>

bamboobutton Sun 05-Jun-11 15:34:30

those giant boom boxes young men have in the backs of their cars can cause involuntary bowel movements to anyone in the vehicle at when played at full boom, or whatever.

Useless fact ?

I am having Roast Lamb and all the trimmings for my dinner today. smile

Your arm length from elbow to wrist is the same as your feet.

MrsDB I just KNEW that you would be on here with an utterly useless fact grin

Shhhh ! Rock

Watching the tennis. grin

EggyAllenPoe Sun 05-Jun-11 15:57:56

one of the five horses all english thoroughbreds are bred from is called turkish Delphinium.

soah Sun 05-Jun-11 16:04:24

The only place you can tickle yourself is the roof of your mouth. ...Try it!

a killer whales willy is 2 metres long when erect

ohboob Sun 05-Jun-11 16:10:03

Someone mentioned the Ampersand. & This was originally an E and a little t on it's side. As in the Latin 'et.' It was an abbreviation in medieval manuscripts. You can see this if you peer at it closely.

The 'ye' of Old English as in 'Ye olde coffee shoppe' is actually still pronounced 'the'. The 'y' just represents an archaic letter.

Loving this thread, it's factastic smile

deemented Sun 05-Jun-11 16:18:17

It is legal for a pregnant woman to urinate inside a policemans helmet.

All polar bears are left handed.

A lion can orgasm p to 50 times a day, whilst a pigs orgas can last up to 30 minutes.

Cor, men got a bum deal then !

ScatterChasse Sun 05-Jun-11 16:20:41

Dolly the sheep was named after Dolly Parton.

The length of your lower arm is approximately one cubit.

ScatterChasse Sun 05-Jun-11 16:21:49

Flies fornicate for around forty minutes

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 16:47:09

"Flies fornicate for around forty minutes"

As does Ryan Giggs, by all accounts.

Portsmouth is an island.

Lizard Point is the most southerly part of Britain.

The same woman created Bliss Spa, Soap and Glory and Fitflop.

More words brerak the rule of "i before e except after c" than conform to it.

The word "gullible" is actually pronounced with a silent "le"

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 16:57:00

Huh? As in "gullib"?

deemented Sun 05-Jun-11 17:02:03

grin read the sentance again, garlicbutter

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:03:56

grin mwahaha!

whydobirdssuddenlyappear Sun 05-Jun-11 17:04:55

There's no j anywhere in the periodic table.

GetOrf Sun 05-Jun-11 17:05:59

bucharest Lithuanian is a strange language in that it is not related to those languages which border it iyswim (it is nothing like Polish or Estonian). It is actually closer to Sanskrit (ancient Indian language) than any other language.

I have been to Lithuania and it does sound strange to the ear - I would have thought it would sound similar to Russian or something but it doesn't.

Pinot you devil, you grin

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:07:54

<whistles innocently>

GetOrf Sun 05-Jun-11 17:08:43

All white cats with blue eyes are deaf. Breeders artifically bred white cats to have orange eyes or one blue/one orange so that the deafness trait could be overcome.

Feel sorry for those poor bastards on the side of Catsan packs grin

Plastic composite is lighter and stronger than aluminium. That is why planes will all soon be made mainly of plastic.

GetOrf Sun 05-Jun-11 17:09:17

hahahah at Pinot.

Canella Sun 05-Jun-11 17:11:10

You only breath out thro one nostril at a time and it switches every couple of hours.
Easily tested by putting a finger under your nose andbreathing out through your nose onto it. Then in 2 hours try again and will have changed over.

DrGruntFotter Sun 05-Jun-11 17:11:28

Message withdrawn

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:12:21

<curtseys>

Sorry garlicbutter - twas a moment of mirth. I offer wine in conciliatory manner smile

PinotGrigiosKitten - yes yes to Portsmouth being an island! Mainlanders often think I am talking bollocks when I have mentioned this in the past. There are three road bridges, one rail and one pedestrian/bike - and of course you can arrive by boat or hovercraft.

A friend's elderly parents apparently spent their entire lives not once leaving Portsea Island (as it is officially known.)

There are two postal districts on the island; Portsmouth and Southsea.

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:18:28

Talc I realllllllly miss Gunwharf Quays (moved to Sussex from Hants last year). It makes me weep I miss it so!)

I have never seen an earwig in real life.

Pinot - I came the other way (albeit centuries ago) from Sussex by the Sea to good old Pom-pey (eee it rhymes!).

Wouldn't want to leave now - I love it here.

I have just tried the self-tickling thing, and I can definitely tickle the soles of my own feet - does this mean I'm not human?

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:30:05

norman - me too! Soles of feet and roof of mouth.

blueemerald Sun 05-Jun-11 17:32:31

I have a white cat with blue eyes and he's not deaf! He can hear a tin being opened at the end of the garden!

Adidas was set up by a German man called Adi Dassler. The German word for Street/Road is strasse. His factory is now on Adi Dassler Strasse.

Fanta was set up as a Germany alternative to Coca Cola during WWII.

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 17:33:35

OMG, Pinot, I totally fell for that! wine gratefully accepted grin

blueemerald Sun 05-Jun-11 17:34:38

And people who suffer from schizophrenia can tickle themselves all over!

PinotGrigiosKittens Sun 05-Jun-11 17:41:52

grin

FilthyRichAndCatflap Sun 05-Jun-11 17:42:06

Hippos are RETROMINGENT...that means they wee backwards

DontCallMePeanut Sun 05-Jun-11 18:01:00

Only two people know the original KFC recipe (according to cracked.com)

NanAstley Sun 05-Jun-11 18:44:10

Generally your arms stop well short of your knees when standing straight. A very small percentage of people have arms so long they reach up to their knees.

White is the colour of evil in China (or is it Japan? sorry, not allowed to google) which is why the baddie in the kung-fu movies wear white robes

White is the colour of sorrow in India, which is why people wear white to funerals.

White is the colour of purity/virginity in Europe, which is why a bride wears virginal whiet

setara Sun 05-Jun-11 18:46:52

the first 10 digets of pi are 3.141592645

if you get 100 people to guess the weight of something then take the average weights, it will be very close to the actual weight of the item

if you eat an apple while smelling a pear your apple will taste like pear grin

a man a plan a canal panama, is the longest palandrome i know

the name for a fear of long words is over 30 letters long (no i can't spell it without googleing)

mawbroon Sun 05-Jun-11 19:09:53

There are 11 types of baleen whales.

And 67 types of toothed whales.

vogonmothership Sun 05-Jun-11 19:23:14

An octopuses penis breaks off in order to penetrate his lady love

Apples potatoes and onions all taste the same. It is the smell of each that makes you think they taste different.
Dunnet head is the most northern part of mainland UK, NOT John o' groats.

GentleOtter Sun 05-Jun-11 19:31:02

Sheep cough like humans.

A group of goats is called a trip.

Rain falls on average at 7mph.

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 19:47:10

Sorry, sorry amberleaf. I was doing the horses. Yes, that's the stuff, it looks green but comes out clear. Brilliant stiff grin

SaltNSauce Sun 05-Jun-11 22:27:59

Oh cat ones. I did hear that all ginger cats are male and all totoiseshell ones are female. True?

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 22:31:29

A mule is the only creature that walks with the hind & forelegs together (both right forwards, both left forwards). It gives them a wiggly stride which, you might find, you also get if you swing your right arm forward as you step with your right leg. Only it looks better on a mule.

A mule is a cross between a horse and a donkey. Ass is another name for mule - may be something to do with the wiggle, though I doubt it.

This thread has taught me: Sex is better for snails than for octopuses; sex with a snail might cure my calcium deficiency, though I'm not about to try!; the human body can be measured in lengths of the foot; glycerin and hoof pomade will fix all manicure problems; I can tickle myself. Fo, thread! grin

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 22:32:06

er, Go, thread. oops

Male kangaroos have forked penises.

passiveaggresive Sun 05-Jun-11 22:42:01

There are more molecules of water in a glass of water, than there are glasses of water in the sea

Pinner35 Sun 05-Jun-11 22:58:46

Humans are only second to cats for having the dirtiest mouths.

No word rhymes with orange

Marmite is banned in Denmark

passiveaggresive Sun 05-Jun-11 23:02:27

Cats have funny little spikes on the end of their willies, and i wish my DP had them too, it looks kind of, errr, tickly! Pigs have curlies willies and iguanas, contrary to common belief have only one penis but it sort of separates and it appears that they have two, but one of them wont actually work.

TO SEX A FRUITFLY - Male fruitlies abdomens end in a rounded end with quite a big brown strip, wheras females have pointy abodomens and smaller stripes on the end.

The escape response of the fruitfly is a reflex action in response to being cast into shadow (light off response) and takes EXACTLY 1.2 milliseconds in a healthy fly. The first part of the response is a jump (0.8) milliseconds, closely followed by a downstroke of the wings (1.2 milliseconds).

passiveaggresive Sun 05-Jun-11 23:05:39

Pinner35 sorry i broke the rules but http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/wordsrhymeorange This stuck in my mind because it was a question on QI

SaltNSauce Sun 05-Jun-11 23:07:15

The cat penis causes the female pain on withdrawal which stimulates ovulation and a loud yell.

passiveaggresive Sun 05-Jun-11 23:08:21

I'll retract my wish for my DP to have a more feline penis then!!

Hearing cats having sex is horrific.

bilblio Sun 05-Jun-11 23:09:08

When food or drink "goes down the wrong way" you aren't choking, you're aspirating. If you were choking you wouldn't be able to breathe.

It's very difficult to swallow solids and liquids together. When you eat cereal such as cornflakes you chew a bit, syphon off the milk and swallow it, chew again, then swallow the cornflakes.

Sorry, can only think of job related facts at the moment.

Damn. Posted too soon.

Meant to add, prickly willies must be why. smile

5GoMadOnAZ650 Sun 05-Jun-11 23:11:20

Lady Jane Grey ruled for nine days. It's my favourite fact and has stood me in good stead for many a pub quiz smile

MiceHaveFeelingsToo Sun 05-Jun-11 23:13:29

'Able was I ere I saw Elba' is another good palindrome to remember

Male pigs have corkscrewed penises; they literally screw into the female who is then unable to easily get the male off her until he is done. ouch

Humans, monkeys, apes, bats and guinea pigs are the only mammals unable to synthesis their own vitamin C, hence the need for them to ensure a diet rich in fruit and veg to avoid conditions like scurvey.

MiceHaveFeelingsToo Sun 05-Jun-11 23:16:05

Cats can carry kittens fathered by more than one male, ie 2 separate litters, at the same time. This explains why a litter might contain kittens of wildly differing colours and markings.

Thingumy Sun 05-Jun-11 23:16:58

I've peed 4 times today.

Fact.

bilblio Sun 05-Jun-11 23:19:19

The Hundred Years war lasted for 116 years.

CointreauVersial Sun 05-Jun-11 23:20:02

At the age of two you are approximately half your adult height.

ODEON (as in the cinema chain) got its name from the founder - Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation.

passiveaggresive Sun 05-Jun-11 23:21:08

I THINK that might be true for dogs too. Unpleasant fact about dogs - they reabsorb aborted feotuses sad

BrianBadonde Sun 05-Jun-11 23:21:44

"No word rhymes with orange"

I beg to differ. Minge. grin

blub Sun 05-Jun-11 23:24:08

All crisps have a sell-by date that falls on a Saturday.

QuintessentialOldMoo Sun 05-Jun-11 23:25:26

It is very difficult to learn Norwegian, in English, if you only speak Lithuanian.

(That is not something google will tell you, though....)

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 23:27:39

Wow shock Not only do female cats get their vaginas ripped to shreds during sex, have to be in screaming pain to ovulate, but they then get to be simultaneously impregnated by multiple toms? Yikes.

I don't imagine a cat can be a feminist, so I'm glad I had mine 'done'! Poor things.

Mind you, I have heard her doing the "cat-shag wail" from time to time, so I guess I haven't saved her from the painful bit sad

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 23:28:49

A mule is the result of breeding a male donkey and a female horse. A hinny is the result of breeding a male horse and a female donkey.

No, getting her done just means she can't have kittens, she can still be a dirty little pussy !

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 23:29:14

Quintessential - It is very difficult to learn Norwegian, in English, if you only speak Lithuanian.

No kidding???! grin

SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 23:30:32

I've not had sex for 421 days.

Bastard of a fact sad

garlicbutter Sun 05-Jun-11 23:32:02

Ooh, Sarah, so when people up north called me "hinny", they weren't being affectionate after all? Damn!

MrsDB grin - from my cat (who also says "Aaargggh!")

Lavitabellissima Sun 05-Jun-11 23:32:40

Elvis Presley's middle name was Aaron

A group of crows is called a murder

Garlic

Did you know you can get 'cat condoms' to prevent infection ? Easy to put on, and keeps kitty safe ? smile

BrawToken Sun 05-Jun-11 23:36:56

Pet Sounds was recorded on an 8 track. I tend to trot this out whenever I am in the company of muso types despit the fact that I don't even know what it means. They usually nod in appreciation grin

BrawToken Sun 05-Jun-11 23:37:28

despite

BrawToken Sun 05-Jun-11 23:38:25

Cat condoms? Seriously?

Bunnynamedstanely Sun 05-Jun-11 23:44:27

There are more squid in the sea than people on the planet......

Don't know why but this blew my mind when I first read it.... What are all those squids up to down there...?

Bunnynamedstanely Sun 05-Jun-11 23:45:48

Btw loved the tickling the roof of your mouth thing! Just freak my DH out with that one.

Bunnynamedstanely Sun 05-Jun-11 23:52:36

It takes the same amount of water to produce 1 hamburger as having a 4 hour shower.

The meat industry has a larger carbon footprint than the whole transport industry (cars, trains, lorries, buses AND planes).

Both these come from today's Food Programme on Radio Four. Apparently meat eating is seriously unenvironmentally friendly. Oh dear.... Feeling bad about last night's steak.

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 00:20:01

Yeah, but ... <unchecked> cooked meat provides something like 40 times the nutritional value of uncooked meat, and a vegan diet costs 100 times as much in terms of energy used per calorie gained. </unchecked>

Which makes raw-food diets an absurd luxury of the overfed, but explains why homo sapiens bounded forwards on discovering how to cook and farm smile

QueenStromba Mon 06-Jun-11 00:36:46

Elvis Presley's middle name was actually spelled "Aron".

QueenStromba Mon 06-Jun-11 00:48:51

Elephants have prehensile penises which can also be used as an extra leg.

Elephants can't jump because if they did it would break their legs.

Ducks have corkscrew penises, female ducks have corkscrew vaginas which go in the opposite direction and almost 20 fake vaginas - duck sex isn't exactly consensual.

The platypus is the only venomous mammal, they also don't have specialised mammary glands and instead sweat milk for their young.

When kangaroos are born they are smaller than your little finger nail and have to climb up and into the pouch - how this evolved I have no idea.

Some sharks are born live, since they have no other way of getting nutrients in the "womb" they eat their brothers and sisters.

New Zealand was not inhabited by humans until about 900 years ago.

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 01:01:53

female ducks have corkscrew vaginas which go in the opposite direction and almost 20 fake vaginas - with same-way threads, presumably, or lacking in nerves?

Jeez, who'd be a duck? shock sad

I like the prehensile elephant penis leg, though! Unless you're about to reveal some horrid vaginal mismatch in the elephantess? (What's a female elephant called, anyway?)

<twitches>

<thinks Garlic is ignoring her>

wink

kayah Mon 06-Jun-11 01:10:59

Bees inform each other about the direction wherethe source of polon is and the distance by dancing

Non edible parts of tomato, potato and pepper plants are all poisonous

A flea always marches East - apparently that fact has been used by sailors

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 01:23:30

MrsDB, I sincerely hoped you were taking the piss!

<imagines self running round back streets at full moon, whipping condoms onto spikey cat penises>
<realises has little better to do, most full moons, depending what's on telly>
sad confused wink grin

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 01:25:54

kayah - not all that poisonous, the stems & spiders of tomatoes add flavour and nutritional value to your sauce smile

Fleas march?? Wow!!

PigletJohn Mon 06-Jun-11 01:31:03

When the Mona Lisa was originally painted, it had eyebrows. Early reviewers mentioned how delicately they had been painted. Over the years they have faded or been lost during multiple cleaning, restoration and conservation efforts.

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 01:32:09

The same thing happened to my eyebrows ...

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jun-11 01:41:32

Elvis' middle name is mis-spelled on his gravestone.

Parietal Mon 06-Jun-11 01:51:25

Female ferrets can die from lack of sex.

Male kangaroos have 2 penises. But the females have 3 vaginas.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 06-Jun-11 01:52:53

Female kangaroos are permanently pregnant/raising a joey.

esselle Mon 06-Jun-11 04:47:30

Sydney has double the annual rainfall of London!

QuintessentialOldMoo Mon 06-Jun-11 08:01:14

So how does the cat get his condom on without ripping it to shreds with his claws?

TrinityIsAShreddingFatRhino Mon 06-Jun-11 08:06:58

Indonesia is the largest archipelligo in the world

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 06-Jun-11 08:13:39

Crabs can grow back broken/missing claws.

MetalSian Mon 06-Jun-11 08:27:22

When moths fly they use the moon to keep them going in a straight line by keeping the light on one side of their body.

So when they are flying into your light it is because they are keeping the light on the same side of their body causing them to fly in circles closer and closer to the light until they hit it.

To think until I read this yesterday in a book my son was given I thought that they just loved light.
=].

dawntigga Mon 06-Jun-11 08:31:25

loopylou6 and SecretNutellaFix you are both wrong which is a shame really wink But if you do accidently kill somebody whilst practicing archery (as long as all proper precautions have been taken and they wander in front of you) and you 'accidentally' kill them you can't be prosecuted for it wink

Every 3 days a human stomach replaces it's lining.

It takes the Hubble telescope 97 minutes to orbit the Earth.

ExCityOfChesterArcherTiggaxx

QuintessentialOldMoo Mon 06-Jun-11 08:36:47

oh gosh! So human light pollution has serious impact on moth navigation!

Cod fish have a spike under their chin called a barble.
Barble is my favourite word to say out loud, ever.

loopylou6 Mon 06-Jun-11 09:14:59

Daddy long legs thingys are actually so venomous they could kill you. fortunately, their teeth cannot pierce human skin.

JemimaMuddleFuck Mon 06-Jun-11 09:20:00

Add message | Report | Message poster SarahStratton Sun 05-Jun-11 19:47:10
Sorry, sorry amberleaf. I was doing the horses. Yes that's the stuff, it looks green but comes out clear. Brilliant stiff grin

Titters and sniggers because I'm childish and have been thinking about dirty sex. But not as dirty as Sarah

PamSco Mon 06-Jun-11 09:34:59

Stop a threatened sneeze, you know the one that makes you look odd waiting for it, by rubbing your tongue on the roof of your mouth.

dinasaw Mon 06-Jun-11 10:25:27

The round discs on a tambourine are called jingles.

Snorbs Mon 06-Jun-11 10:30:49

When you're riding a motorbike at speeds over 15-20mph, to steer left you turn the handlebars slightly to the right and vice-versa.

The SysRq key on a PC's keyboard dates back to IBM mainframes from the 1970s.

Measure the actual length of a river including all the meanders. Measure the straight-line distance from the river's start to its end and divide the actual length by the straight-line length. Do that for a lot of rivers. The answer averages out to Pi.

kennypowers Mon 06-Jun-11 11:11:31

The groove between your nose and upper lip is called a philtrum. It serves no purpose.

passiveaggresive Mon 06-Jun-11 11:43:01

fruit flies have a courtship ritual that involves the male "singing" to the female by way of buzzing its wings, he follows this with oral sex - i kid you not!

PigletJohn Mon 06-Jun-11 12:02:26

girls who look after horses don't bite their fingernails.

Garlic

Have to confess was taking the pee.

Was hoping you would realise it as reference to earlier in the thread using the word 'gullible'. smile

Was in silly mood last night, perhaps a good thing you ignored !

Pompoko Mon 06-Jun-11 12:08:18

Kennypowers, the philtrum is where your face molded togther as a feotus.
Before that, your mouth was in two parts on your neck, ready to grow into gills, then your face pulls itself together to form your nose and mouth. This leaves the groove and a faint line down the roof of your mouth.

My only weird fact is that humans are the only speacies that need help to give birth

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 12:13:33

The "myth" that carrots allow you to see in the dark was started during the battle of Britain by the RAF as an excuse to explain why our pilots could see the German fighters at night - this was in order to hide the invention of radar.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 12:15:43

Bees are democratic. The queen will make a suggestion to the hive, and if the bees like it, they jump up and down in a little dance to show approval. If they don't like, they sit quietly. If enough bees like it, the suggestion is approved.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 12:23:56

The commonly used vulgarity "Cunt" is a derivative of the middle English word "Quaynte" (without Google I don't know if spelt it right), which was very similar to the word "cute", and usually used to describe something small and pleasing. It was first used as a description of the female genetals circa 1310 in Chaucers "The Millers Tale":

"Prively he grabbed her by the quaynte".

The spelling has changed to it's current form & meaning. So never use the word as an insult, you saying they are cute and pleasing.

SarahStratton Mon 06-Jun-11 12:30:53

JemimaMuddleFuck grin

And proud of it.

<happy owner of a v cute and pleasing quaynte>

Shame it's forgotten what it's used for sad

aliceliddell Mon 06-Jun-11 12:32:19

Ooh Atomic! Liking that...I also heard it's related to 'coney', you prob know, another word for rabbit - think furry, hidden, hole. And 'cunning' - hidden.

SarahStratton Mon 06-Jun-11 12:33:11

PigletJohn

<has studied grooms at yard>

Girls who look after horses do bite their fingernails. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of handwashing going on first.

<concludes>

Girls who look after horses may bite their fingernails. If so they, possibly, possess the strongest constitutions ever.

lilibet Mon 06-Jun-11 12:34:48

Using the word 'gay' to describe homosexuals started in the 1970's after an equality march in New York where the participants carried banners saying I'm as Good As You.

Gap stands for Gay And Proud.

SarahStratton Mon 06-Jun-11 12:40:45

What, Gap the shop?

fifipink Mon 06-Jun-11 12:53:46

A two fingered kitkat is a biscuit but a four fingered kitkat is a chocolate bar.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 12:53:55

And on that note...

In ancient Rome, what would now be considered homasexual sex was often conducted by heterosexual men as a show of the level of their station and to gain favour with their superiors. He who was lower in station would be the "taker". It showed submission to your social betters.

Bucharest Mon 06-Jun-11 13:07:09

Italians are convinced it is illegal to buy carrots in England on Sunday.

(this was a question on Who wants to be a millionaire and had me Wtf-ing at the host for the nth time)

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 13:15:34

Bucharest, I don't suppose you'd have any idea why?

Aliensstolemychocolate Mon 06-Jun-11 13:20:52

You spend roughly 15,000 hours of your life from the age of 4-16 in school

*I think you can actually die from lack of sleep, Fatal Familial insomnia. (I wont check Google but I roughly remember something like this from Psych 101)

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 13:24:10

Alien, the sleep fact I remember was that a few people have suddenly "lost" the ability to sleep. In all cases, they die within a few years, but there's no explanation as to why.

Other than that, the record stands at 14 days I think. After sleeping for about 23 hrs, the person who did it suffered no long term ill effects.

NotActuallyAMum Mon 06-Jun-11 13:26:16

The laugh at the end of Michael Jackson's Thriller sounds a bit like Woody Woodpecker when played on an old record player at 78

<No one under the age of about 25 will have a clue what I'm talking about grin>

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 13:27:19

After one week of 6 hours sleep, the average person loses 15 IQ points compared to what they would have after a good nights sleep.

Aliensstolemychocolate Mon 06-Jun-11 13:31:18

TAB I think the guy who holds the record for sleep deprivation (cant remember how long it was though) has a highly memorable name: Randy Gardner!

Annunziata Mon 06-Jun-11 13:50:59

Relative to its size, the barnacle has the biggest penis of any animal.

QueenStromba Mon 06-Jun-11 14:00:27

AIDS was originally called GRID which stood for gay related immunodeficiency (thank god they changed that one).

Gap, the clothes retailer, does NOT stand for 'gay and proud' (although this rumour has been going round...oh, forever, and is currently again de rigeur with teens trying to explain why they must have Abercrombie&Fitch and Wills and such £££ stuff wink).

The founders of Gap wanted it to stand for the Generation Gap ie 'we make cool clothes for you young folk, which your elders may not approve of and will therefore be even more attractive to you'.

I am now off to google familial fatal insomnia <<mind boggles>>

CBear6 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:10:00

The reason human babies are born completely helpless/dependant as opposed to other mammal babies who can walk, etc after a few hours is because of our brain size. If pregnancy lasted long enough for the infant to be able to walk then it's head/brain would be too large to fit through the pelvis.

Trebor was founded in 1907 by Robert Robertson, Trebor is Robert spelled backwards (according to the packet of mints I just ate!)

A goldfish kept completely in the dark will eventually turn white.

When someone receives a kidney transplant their defunct kidney is left in place, the new one is plumbed in around it.

Male ducks often have sessions of group sex with one female, it's not exactly consensual and the female usually drowns. In the absence of any females they group will turn on the youngest/smallest/weakest male to play the role of "female duck".

Until 1965 necrophilia wasn't a crime in any US state.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 14:15:19

Sorry, that's not right.

It was first categorised in 1980/1, when they named the condition acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS). It came from African primates some time in the late 19th or early 20th century, but wasn't found until then. Lord knows how a human got it from a monkey.

Two years later, the virus was discovered by two separate researchers who called it HTLV-III, as it resembled the human T-lymphotropic viruses (HTLVs), another called it lymphadenopathy-associated virus (LAV). HIV was chosen as a compromise between the two discovories.

Lunabelly Mon 06-Jun-11 14:34:02

In reply to the female elephant, I believe that they are called cows.

It is 10,000 X more hygienic to lick the inside of a (clean) toilet than it is to bite your nails. Noum noum noum.

Technically, King Henry VIII had only TWO wives.

faverolles Mon 06-Jun-11 14:38:19

AromicBum - I seem to remember watching something about AIDS. The virus first transmitted from monkeys to humans when they killed and skinned them (for food?)

Male pigs woo their lady loves with a pig song before mating.

Humans have the same number of bones in their necks as giraffes.

The oldest recorded wet nurse was 82.

faverolles Mon 06-Jun-11 14:40:47

The humans killed and skinned the monkeys obviously. Or we would be living on the planet of the apes.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 14:42:49

I once heard it was an accident in a science lab during an experiment on a monkey. It seems more likely that the one you heard is right. The article I read on the subject didn't seem to know how it happened.

SeymoreButts Mon 06-Jun-11 14:43:21

Not sure if it's true but... There is more bacteria inside most people's fridge than their toilet, because the toilet is cleaned far more frequently.

SeymoreButts Mon 06-Jun-11 14:45:56

The discovery of penicillin was a complete accident... a spore floated in through an open window and landed on an agar plate. Without that floating spore we would all be popping our clogs of sepsis.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 14:48:54

I've ofton wondered why the toilet is considered so unclean. You can drink you're own urine, right? So why? Considering you also bleach it regularly.

And on that note, if that area of the body is so unhygenic, why is oral sex OK? If it was that toxic then we'd all die after giving to our DP's.

I have a theory that it's got nothing to do with that area. It's just that you should was you're hands every now and then to stop the buildup of germs, and when you go to the loo is probably a good habitual reminder.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 14:50:12

Seymore, very close. But nothing floated. It was an experiment to watch the groath of some bacteria and mould. A certain type of mold, whilst being fairly harmless to humans, ate all the bacteria.

Peetle Mon 06-Jun-11 14:58:57

That thing about human and giraffe necks - all mammals (with only a couple of exceptions like sloths and manatees) have 7 neck vertebra. From pigmy shrews to blue whales.

And following from "Thriller at 45"; if you have the technology, listen to the LP version of Bruce Springsteen's "I'm on Fire" at 45 - it sounds exactly like Dolly Parton singing it. They've never been pictured together you know...

Snorbs Mon 06-Jun-11 15:09:29

Electricity flows through a copper wire at approximately two-thirds the speed of light.

The sperm of a fruit fly is over 5cm long(!)

The gas you use in your home for cooking and heating is, by itself, odourless. The stuff that gives it the distinctive "gas smell" is deliberately added to it at the refinery to make it easier to detect a gas leak. I think they use a gas called mercaptan for the smell but I'd have to google that to check.

CatIsSleepy Mon 06-Jun-11 15:15:36

brazil nuts are radioactive

SeymoreButts Mon 06-Jun-11 15:15:44

Really? Shucks. I loved that story!

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 15:20:48

If you were to travel to the nearest star (Proxima Centauri - approx. 4.2 light years away) by conventional space shuttle, it would take you 88,000 years and require more rocket fuel than there is mass in the universe.

Suncottage Mon 06-Jun-11 15:26:11

Mike Nesmith's of The Monkees. His Mum invented Tippex.

Trinaluce Mon 06-Jun-11 15:30:31

Dick Van Dyke was 6 months older than Lionel Jeffries when they made Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (even though LJ was playing the father)

The hyoid is the only bone in the body that doesn't articulate with any other

The tongue is the only muscle which is only attached at one end

The TV series MASH lasted 8 years longer than the Korean war it was portraying

The man who was originally cast as the tin man in The Wizard of Oz developed a severe allergic reaction to the aluminium paint used as make up and had to be hospitalised. He was replaced and the film made without him: but he outlived all other principal cast members.

Debbie Reynolds wasn't a dancer when she got the part in Singin' in the Rain. Gene Kelly was rude to her about her dancing abilities and she ran to hide and cry under a piano. Fred Astaire found her and agreed to teach her and help her improve.

Moffit Mon 06-Jun-11 15:48:58

The hand rails on an underground train are the same colour as the line you are travelling on, eg if you are on the central line they will be red and if you are on the circle line they will be yellow, etc.

whitechocolatebuttons Mon 06-Jun-11 15:57:01

my favourite fact.

the word 'plumber' comes from the latin word for 'lead' (as in lead pipes)

which is Plumbum

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 16:03:46

This thread is like a Mumsnet episode of QI except without the reassurance that teams of researchers have actually checked the facts. grin

Moffit, not all of them. Works for the Victoria line (light blue on the map) but I think it's yellow on the District line (green on the map). Can't remember whether the Jubilee line has grey handrails but I suspect not.

The designer of the tube map was called Harry Beck. He had the brilliant idea that the map didn't need to represent the actual geography of the lines and London above ground – once you are underneath, the only thing that matters is the relationship of the lines to each other. Tube maps before Beck were far more messy. But his map catches people out because it doesn't show how close some of the stations on different lines are to each other so people who haven't checked sometimes go on very long journeys changing tube lines rather than just walking five minutes. (It's quicker to walk from Covent Garden to Charing Cross than to change at Leicester Square, for instance.)

The idea that Hitler was a vegetarian is a myth. But he was very concerned about cruelty to animals. (Interesting thing about the supposed vegetarianism is how keen many people are to believe it...)

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 16:05:57

Luna, would Henry's legal two wives be Jane Seymour and Catherine Parr? On the grounds that his marriage to Catherine of Aragon was annulled, Anne Boleyn was accused of witchcraft, poor old Catherine Howard was not a virgin (which apparently made that marriage illegal) and he had some excuse about Anne of Cleves?

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 16:06:41

Oh, and the Black Box flight data recorder is actually orange. To make it easier to locate after an accident.

A london cab driver by law HAS to keep a bale of hay in the boot of the cab.

CaveMum Mon 06-Jun-11 16:20:00

Apologies if these have been mentioned already:

It is impossible to lick your own elbow.

Domesticated cats think they are kittens - in the wild cats lose the ability to purr as they get older, only kittens purr as it helps to stimulate milk production from the mother.

Cows can walk up stairs but cannot walk down them.

And for all you West Wing fans out there, there are only 3 words that begin with the letters "dw": Dwarf, Dwell and Dwindle.

WhereonearthamI Mon 06-Jun-11 16:21:44

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.

PinotGrigiosKittens Mon 06-Jun-11 16:23:16

Ah CaveMum that so sweet about cats! <I'm becoming obsessed!>

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 16:32:11

does that mean dh is keeping fit when he falls asleep in front of the telly? grin

CaveMum Mon 06-Jun-11 16:35:28

Cat facts are never useless Pinot wink

1981 Grand National Winner Aldaniti was named after his breeder's grandchildren:

Alastair
David
Nicola
Timothy

bunjies Mon 06-Jun-11 16:44:50

The sticky out bits on jigsaw puzzle pieces are called lugs.

TheAtomicBum Mon 06-Jun-11 16:48:17

Can I just ask, after reading this thread, how many people have tried to lick their own elbow?

blush Me. Just now. After you asked.

faverolles Mon 06-Jun-11 16:49:42

I can't, but lots of people on YouTube can!

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 16:49:45

Guilty. I measured my foot against my forearm, too. (It was tricky but, unlike elbow-licking, not impossible!)

Not after reading this thread, but I have been known to attempt it many, many a couple of years ago

thegingerone Mon 06-Jun-11 17:02:48

This thread is great. I'm chucking out the Tena lady and clenching my teeth for the rest of pg#3. (See pg 1)

Cats whiskers are as long as the widest part of their body.

thegingerone Mon 06-Jun-11 17:03:34

abbreviation hell. Pg = preg and page!!!

A rabbit's tail is called a scut

Bucharest Mon 06-Jun-11 17:48:06

I've remembered another one that I don't understand, maybe someone can explain the logic behind it to me....

Apparently, if you went back, with your family tree, right back as far as time began, your family tree would contain more people (or grunting neanderthals, or things that crawled out of the primeval swamp) than there are humans who have ever lived.

How can that be huh? How? How? (has incest got something to do with it????) (I bet this turns out to be another weirdy penis fact)

PigletJohn Mon 06-Jun-11 17:53:28

might it be that it has an entry in your family tree for your great-great-great-great second cousin twice removed, and also an entry for your great-great-great-great grandmother, and they happen to be the same person? (repeat an infinite number of times)

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 17:59:35

Don't know if that's true, Bucharest, but I do know numbers do funny things exponentially - like every person of English ancestry being descended from Edward I (or it could be II can't recall). Because you are doubling the number of ancestors every generation - two parents, four grandparents, eight great grandparents, 16 two greats, 32 four greats and so on. And family trees include aunts and cousins so I'm sure the number just explode when you get to lots of generations.

Which is why pyramid selling only works for the people at the very top - within a few steps you have to get everyone in the country signed up to make any money.

Bucharest Mon 06-Jun-11 17:59:46

<head explodes>

Probably. grin

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 18:00:41

(I always chuckle at Who Do You Think You Are when some celeb gets excited about great-great-great-great Granny or Granddad being an aristocrat - yeah, you and two thousand other people...)

jbcbj Mon 06-Jun-11 18:06:18

i haven't (yet) read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned...

wallabies are the australian emblem because they cannot jump backwards.

amicissima Mon 06-Jun-11 18:27:45

Half of all the people who have died (and lived, obviously) died of Malaria.

Around 1 in 8 of the people who have ever lived are alive today.

Trinaluce Mon 06-Jun-11 18:29:50

How could you have more people in your family tree than have ever existed?! That's not possible!

Doctor Who first broadcast was supposed to be on 22nd November 1963, but was postponed due to the assassination that day of JFK

jbcbj Mon 06-Jun-11 18:30:46

jaffa cakes caused a legal battle to decide whether they are cakes or biscuits (biscuits are subject to VAT, cakes are not). they are cakes because, like cakes they go hard as they get staler - biscuits go soft....

i can eat a whole box of jaffa cakes on the 15 minute drive home from work. fact.

AlfieandAnnieRose Mon 06-Jun-11 18:31:17

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are witren, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
This is because the brain does not read every letter by itself but the word as a whole.

AlfieandAnnieRose Mon 06-Jun-11 18:32:27

Isnt the human brain clever grin

Seen that before, Alfie. Very clever. grin

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 19:10:36

If you stick the two ends of a strip of paper together to make a circle, it has two sides - front and back. Slice it in two along the length, and it becomes a long squiggly circle that HAS ONLY ONE SIDE. I still don't understand it, even after doing with paper that's a different colour on each side!

confused by geometry

garlicbutter Mon 06-Jun-11 19:12:19

I forgot, you have to twist the paper don't you?

<displays infinite ignorance>

AnyFuleKno Mon 06-Jun-11 19:21:13

The vagus nerve in a giraffe loops down the neck, underneath the heart and back up to the larynx. This has happened over the hundreds of millions of years since they evolved from aquatic creatures (as in fact we all have)

We didn't evolve from apes as many people mistakenly think, but we share a common ancestor with them

reelingintheyears Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:31

AnyFuleKno..

That's a bit blooming clever.

AnyFuleKno Mon 06-Jun-11 19:25:42

More evolution related fun. Whales have evolved from a creature which was land dwelling, so they have effectively returned to the sea. The most closely related mammal to a hippo is a whale.

Finally for anyone eating their tea, the prawn is a very close relation to the woodlouse

MurielTheActor Mon 06-Jun-11 19:27:13

St Johns Wood is the only station on the London Underground that doesn't have any letters from the word 'mackerel' in it.
I LOVE that fact smile

Badgerwife Mon 06-Jun-11 19:42:15

OMG I've only just finished page one and I am in awe of the amount of stuff I have learnt...

AnyFuleKno Mon 06-Jun-11 19:42:56

Thanks reeling grin

CaveMum Mon 06-Jun-11 19:44:35

A fun fact my boss always likes to trot out (pardon the pun)

Of the 60 Racecourses in Great Britain only 4 do not contain the letters R.A.C.E:

Goodwood
Huntingdon
Plumpton
Ludlow

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 19:55:05

Oh, and Cbear6's point about human babies being born neonate (i.e. helpless) because our heads are so big is true. It is known as the missing fourth trimester (as in, we should be pregnant for a whole year but have to give birth three months early or baby would get stuck). But the first time I mentioned it on here I got loads of hassle from otherwise intelligent posters telling me I was talking crap! (Admittedly I think I posted on a fairly argumentative thread but still...)

Bearcrumble Mon 06-Jun-11 20:03:13

Crabs piss through their eyes.

Capiche Mon 06-Jun-11 20:09:15

Bucharest is that really so?? I told dp that the reason i think my pelvic floor survived six children is that I clench and grind my teeth a lot- dp looked at me like hmm but there you go wink

cecinestpasunepipe Mon 06-Jun-11 20:10:44

The difference between elephants's poo and hippopotamus' poo is that elephants just let it drop, and hippos wag their tales whle they are doing it, so it sort of sprays around.

Capiche Mon 06-Jun-11 20:13:04

you can die of lack of sleep yes
lovely experiments done on cats with moats of water round them and every time they fell asleep they dipped into the water - eventually they died of no sleep not drowning

cantpooinpeace Mon 06-Jun-11 20:32:44

C is the third letter of the alphabet - fact wink

There are 12 pages of useless facts on Mumsnet (so far) and I haven't read them all. Hope no-one else has thought to mention that the world's largest ever peanut measured 4.5 inches long. I learnt that at Epcot, DSs were not impressed.

Pandemoniaa Mon 06-Jun-11 20:46:11

Tachographs have to be re-calibrated every six years.

Naetha Mon 06-Jun-11 21:01:04

The western entrance to the Panama Canal is in the Atlantic Ocean, and the eastern entrance is in the Pacific Ocean.

There is a Welsh colony in Patagonia, Argentina

The hippocampus is a part of the brain, relating to memory, so named as it is the Latin for seahorse, and the cross section of the hippocampus looks like the tail of a sea horse

An experiment tested what rooms in a house men and women would look in first eg if they were buying, men care more about the living room and bedroom, women the kitchen and bathroom

That startle reflect you sometime get while falling asleep is called a myoclonic jerk

Jonnyfan Mon 06-Jun-11 21:10:05

The main industry of Pietermaritzburg is extracting tannin from the bark of the wattle tree.

maighdlin Mon 06-Jun-11 21:14:50

over one hundred cheesecakes were eaten in the golden girls

if all the atoms that make up the human race were squished together so that there is no empty space in the atoms the result would be the size of a sugar cube.

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 21:36:56

and on that note, all the atoms that have so obligingly decided to get together to make you used to exist before you were born. Drifting through space, or forming a planet, or forming something (anything) else. We are all spacemen/women!

Rotavator is the longest word in English that reads the same backwards or forwards.

And aibohphobia is the fear of palindromes wink

BoffinMum Mon 06-Jun-11 22:15:01

Antidisestablishmentarianism
Donaudampfschiffelectricitatsbetriebswerk

What do these two words have in common? grin

edam Mon 06-Jun-11 22:20:45

Does the German mean the same thing as the English - i.e. that you want the established Church to remain the established Church?

OMG Capiche thank you so much!
When we first brought our twins home and did not sleep at all for 4 days my DP kept muttering on about "cats on islands" and I have only now understood the reference.

A genuine sneeze can travel down your nose at 80 miles per hour

You can "tickle" a trout by stroking it very gently under water before flicking it out of the river (Grandad taught me..not much call for that skill lately grin)

bubbleymummy Mon 06-Jun-11 23:21:54

Boffin, are they supposed to be the longest word in their respective languages? Although dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane is longer - it has 31 letters. Antidisestablishmentarianism only has 29 smile

DoesItWearingWellies Mon 06-Jun-11 23:47:37

Pompoko re your fact of humans being the only species requiring help to give birth, you've obviously never worked on a farm during lambing and calving!

Until recently (past 10 years or so?) cheese and onion crisps weren't vegetarian, but smoky bacon were! The cheese in the flavouring was made using rennet from calves stomachs.

Also, there are more than 3,500 species of cockroach, but only 5 of them are true domestic pests.

AnyFuleKno Tue 07-Jun-11 00:04:36

You can get rid of steam in the bathroom after a shower by letting the shower run cold for a minute or two.

try it..it actually works!

PigletJohn Tue 07-Jun-11 00:10:15

did you say domestic pets?

grin

Bucharest Tue 07-Jun-11 06:19:16

Humans are the only living things to worry about the future. Which is why we're in the state we're in....if we just lived in the now, like animals, we'd be all fine and huggy and lentil weaving and zenny.

Oh cockroaches! You can set fire to them and they fry and then get up and walk away. <empirical fact, tried once and then icked out so much I just ran away>

faverolles Tue 07-Jun-11 06:40:46

Rats can live in freezers. As long as there is something to eat (even if it isfrosty and crunchy) they will be happy and multiply, but will grow thicker fur.

Rats can chew through concrete.

ohmeohmy Tue 07-Jun-11 07:18:45

cockroaches can survive the microwave and if you squash a female her eggs survive and hatch. They will rule the post apocalyptic world (Alright I made that last bit up)

Bathsheba Tue 07-Jun-11 07:46:58

Greenland isn't called Greenland anymore. Its called Kaalalit Nunaat

There isn't any other word in the english dictionary that rhymes with 'orange'.

My grandmas birthday is May 16th, mine is June 16th, and my dads is July 16th.

It's my due date today and I'm fed up!

JetLi Tue 07-Jun-11 08:46:57

Piranha fish are actually vegetarian & prefer brussel sprouts to human flesh.

TheAtomicBum Tue 07-Jun-11 09:00:24

Nothing rhymes with orange?
How unbelievably strange.
Isn't sand organge?
Out there on the desert range.
I wonder if you could build a grange?
And then you could paint it organge.
Hmm. Nothing rhymes with oragne.
How unbelievably strange.

Are you taking the piss? (hmm)

If so I would just like to point out that all those words are pronounced straynge, raynge, graynge. You don't say oraynge do you? You say 'oringe'

hmm

TheAtomicBum Tue 07-Jun-11 09:32:29

Yes, of course I was joking. I'm aware that they are half rhymes, but it is still acceptable in poetic terms to use a half-rhyme. And it was a crap poem.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to write a serious poem about an orange?

TheAtomicBum Tue 07-Jun-11 10:07:14

If you cut the head off a cochroach, they will live for 2 weeks before they finally die of starvation. I've never tried this myself.

poshme Tue 07-Jun-11 10:09:37

If you stir a wood-ants nest using a bluebell, the ants get cross and the bluebell turns pink.
Don't know why though.

BrainSurgeon Tue 07-Jun-11 10:32:32

Gastrognome - how about the Romanian name "Bogdan" - make my DP snigger every time

Another fact - Dracula does NOT exist in Transilvanian history or floklore as a vampire. The vampire story was completely fabircated by Bram Stoker.

BrainSurgeon Tue 07-Jun-11 10:36:00

Doh- folklore!

Mumanator Tue 07-Jun-11 11:58:04

40% of the city of Detroit is made up of empty/abandoned/derelict buildings.

Selks Tue 07-Jun-11 12:07:28

A baby Puffin is called a Puffling.

Both cute and true.

Mumanator Tue 07-Jun-11 12:11:23

The collective noun for a group of crows is ....

A Murder of Crows!

Which is fab and I love it - puffling super cute too!

ChoChoSan Tue 07-Jun-11 12:22:16

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi's SS uniforms.

Snorbs Tue 07-Jun-11 12:31:43

Poshme, I know that some kinds of ant squirt formic acid in defence. It could be that the acid is breaking down whatever chemical it is that causes the flowers to be blue.

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 12:33:34

2 micograms of botox, if ingested, will kill a one tonne guinea pig

IAmTheCookieMonster Tue 07-Jun-11 12:34:58

They think the vampire myth came from a family that had a rare form of anaemia that caused their gums to recede and they drank animal blood for iron.

TheBride Tue 07-Jun-11 12:38:22

A higher percentage of the previous Parliament's MPs are currently in jail than the percentage of the general population currently in jail.

sapphirestar Tue 07-Jun-11 12:52:19

Apparently, nothing in the english language rhymes with purple either. Weird that these are the only two non-rhyming words and they are both colours!

Spudulika Tue 07-Jun-11 12:55:36

The gunge from inside prawn heads makes a very delicious dip, if fermented, salted and mixed with various herbs and spices.

Aubergines contain nicotine as do other nightshade fruit and veg.

Spudulika Tue 07-Jun-11 12:56:47

"nothing in the english language rhymes with purple either"

purple circle hurtle

Now make a poem out of those words!

Nothing rhymes with silver either....

Matekiddleton Tue 07-Jun-11 13:18:25

Thebride; what is the percentage of old etonians who have done time compared to the general population. I am sure that as a % there are more OEs who have done bird than from my school. Darius Guppy, Lord Brocket, Jonathan Aitkin, Simon Mann....

Matekiddleton Tue 07-Jun-11 13:19:49

Vampire myth; I thought it was that people were buried alive and they bit their lips in desperation, in the coffin, 6 ft down. (That is why I am being cremated).

TheAtomicBum Tue 07-Jun-11 13:23:07

Matekiddleton, I wish for cremation for the exact same reason.

juicychops Tue 07-Jun-11 13:29:37

why cant i think of anything that i know?

maybe i know nothing...

Matekiddleton Tue 07-Jun-11 13:30:16

TAB, did you read the 5th book of horror on a camping holiday in France? I would LOVE to remember the name of that book. It taught me all my best paranoias. I want to give it to dc to scare the shit out of them.

Matekiddleton Tue 07-Jun-11 13:35:08

Lord Lucan did not go to jail but might well have.

I know of a non famous OE who went down for threatening to blow the head off a traffic warden who dared to give him a ticket. He only had an enormous (new at the time) water pistol on him but she (very understandably) panicked and called armed back up. It was a great pity for him that his car was full of e.

sapphirestar Tue 07-Jun-11 13:44:05

ooh, silver, hadn't twigged about that one, another colour! Just heard it somewhere years ago

NeopreneMermaid Tue 07-Jun-11 13:51:04

76x76 = 5,776

theanimalswentintwobytwo Tue 07-Jun-11 13:55:02

Elephants can't jump

The most teritorial animal is the Honey Badger

Ants out number people on the planet by about 3 million to one

There are about 250 different species of Bees

(Thank you QI)

GooseyLoosey Tue 07-Jun-11 13:56:20

Huskys have dry noses so that they don't freeze in the cold.

TheAtomicBum Tue 07-Jun-11 14:00:13

The largest spider known on earth grows up to 31cm in diameter (inc. it's legs). Not sure what it's called, but it's a black thing with long legs that lives in some caves somewhere. Imagine turning a corner and seeing that. Urgh shock!

The record was previously held by the Goliath, a specimin of which was found at 29cm in width.

May need a very large shoe. Or possible a very large cup and piece of paper if you find one.

theanimalswentintwobytwo Tue 07-Jun-11 14:12:16

It's illegal to beat your rugs outdoors before 8am in London

Pah! Purple and silver have made my fact redundant now sad Although I could argue purple, vimto made a word that rhymes with purple. It's shlurple. As in 'Shurple the Purple' grin

Horses and rabbits (and probably a few other animals that I don't know about) can't throw up.

Melly19MummyToBeTue 07-Jun-11 08:42:45

Do you think this one will be born on the 16th as well? smile

Also, the thread is now in classics ;)

I hope not, I hate to sound horrible but it's my birthday! And also personally, I would hate to share my mums birthday hmm

Lunabelly Tue 07-Jun-11 15:27:21

Edam, yes, Jane Seymour and Catherine Parr - Katherine of Aragon - annulled, Anne Boleyn and Katheryn Howard both had the marriages annulled begore their executions. I am a geek.

chinam Tue 07-Jun-11 15:29:24

Well Melly, if you want to keep the tradition going, you will just have to remain pregnant until August. Shouldn't be too difficult...grin
BTW, my useless amazing fact is that the HMV dog is called Nipper.

August shock I bloody hope not! My sisters getting married 30th June next year and I said to my DP, "ooooh Poppy will be just over 1 by then!" and his reply was "She might not be!" He has no idea bless him grin

If I go 12 days overdue and have to be induced, it will be on fathers day, I was born on fathers day, I'd prefer to keep that tradition going if possible grin

Wasn't Jane Seymour his favourite wife, the one who finally gave him a son and then died? I can't remember properly, I don't recall doing the Tudors since primary school! I do remember the rhyme about his wives though.
Divorced,
Beheaded,
Died,
Divorced,
Beheaded,
Survived.

CoteDAzur Tue 07-Jun-11 16:31:40

BoffinMum - Cekoslavakyalilastiramadiklarimizdansiniz

That is the longest word I know. It means "You are one of those we couldn't turn into Czechoslovakians" grin

NanAstley Tue 07-Jun-11 17:16:38

Jane Seymour was his favourite in so far as she produced a male heir and didn't cause him any aggravation by challenging him. Poor Jane Seymour...she was very highly educated and intelligent, but history remembers her for having a son, no more no less sad

UrsulaBuffay Tue 07-Jun-11 18:05:05

Polar Bears are left handed.

William Shakespeare's 'real' name may not have been Shakespeare, it may have been Shakeshaft or something similar.

He was born on the same date that he died. (Shakey that is).

BalloonSlayer Tue 07-Jun-11 18:37:45

When Anne Boleyn was crowned Queen, she wasn't crowned as Queen Consort but as Queen Regnant (ie as if she was the Queen like Elizabeth II is the Queen rather than just the King's wife).

GeekLove Tue 07-Jun-11 18:53:05

Armadillos give birth to identical quadruplets.

2 is the smallest prime number and the only even prime.

Flour or icing sugar can be made to explode when mixed with air.

The probability of any land animal being fossilised is roughly 1 in 200 million.

BitOfFun Tue 07-Jun-11 19:21:07

The word 'gay' used to refer to a woman of loose morals in Victorian times. Some people argue that Cary Grant originated the modern usage in the film Bringing Up Baby, when he dresses in a woman's negligée and says "just felt gay all of a sudden". That was in 1938.

Pacific Tue 07-Jun-11 19:41:19

Edinburgh is further west than Carlisle

feralgirl Tue 07-Jun-11 19:48:39

If you pour nail varnish remover onto a cigarette butt, it disintegrates and looks just like ejaculate.

But it doesn't ever wash out of clothes.

Creamandcustard Tue 07-Jun-11 20:14:22

Pacific I grew up in Carlisle and I didn't know that! And I'm struggling to accept it confused

My fact is that you could have taken the tube to the last public hanging in Britain which was in 1868.

MamaLaMoo Tue 07-Jun-11 20:17:27

A fair number of vocal atheist Richard Dawkins' extended family are men of the cloth. I know this as one of my friends is married to one of his relatives - the Reverend Nigel Dawkins formally of the anglican chaplaincy in Yemen, now in Dubai due to the political unrest.

Pacific Tue 07-Jun-11 20:19:05

Cream and custard. Look on any map and see the longitudinal lines. There is overlap but Edinburgh city centre is definitely further west. Have won numerous bets with that. Glasgow is further west than Plymouth.

Suncottage Tue 07-Jun-11 21:05:36

It will cost you just over £16 to stand up at a wedding and say you object to the nuptials.

If you can't pay the wedding goes ahead.

PamSco Wed 08-Jun-11 01:00:01

Edinburgh is further west than Liverpool and Bristol...

NunTheWiser Wed 08-Jun-11 06:34:24

Dogs have a third eyelid.

sherbetpips Wed 08-Jun-11 07:11:41

'The same woman created Bliss Spa, Soap and Glory and fitflop'
I hate her.
My dad calls me 'the queen of crap' I cant however think of a useful fact at this time in the morning. Oh except for some reason:
If your car engine is overheating, turn the heat up to full and open all the vents and it will cool down enough to get you to a garage. Open the windows though or you will die of heat exhaustion.

Lunabelly Wed 08-Jun-11 08:21:00

The guillotine was last used in 1978 on a man who murdered his wife.

I'm typing this on a phone, please bear with!

jbcbj Wed 08-Jun-11 09:03:48

ohmeohmy you are actually right about cockroaches and the post-apocalyptic world; they are actually the only species that would survive a nuclear holocaust. nice.

we are literally stardust - every atom from which we are made was created in the centre of stars and supernovae; only hydrogen and a small amount of helium was created in the Big Bang, all heavier elements are fused in the centre of stars and elements heavier than iron can only be created in the extreme temps and pressures of a supernova. <geek-and-proud emoticon>

the dust clouds where new stars are forming are called stellar nurseries (i love the mental images this conjures up! grin)

many more astronomical useless facts if anyone wants them?!

jbcbj Wed 08-Jun-11 09:04:26

oops, overuse of actually...blush

Suncottage Wed 08-Jun-11 09:25:58

King Arthur's sword Excalibur was made from 'an iron not of this world'. It was forged from the iron extracted from a meteorite.

Not quite a 'fact' but an interesting piece of trivia for Arthurians. smile

skyatnight Wed 08-Jun-11 09:55:31

'set' is the word in the English language which has the most meanings (strands of definition in the dictionary).

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 10:30:07

The maximum distance light can travel is 15 billion light years befoere the photon no longer sends the light. That is why the known uiniverse is up 15,000 light years away, but the entire universe is estimated to be around 90 billion from end to end. It would take you 1,841,860,465,116,279 years to cross in a modern space shuttle. Just think of the electric bill if you left the bathroom light on as you left.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 10:35:20

jbcbj - Let's have them, then! I love obscure astronomical facts. Like, did you know that the centre of a netron star is so dense that the amount of matter it take fill would be the mass of the earth?

garlicbutter Wed 08-Jun-11 11:25:28

Do stars all have centres, then? I'm now imagining some kind of scorching hot, pinprick-sized, heavy thing ... (Or dense, I suppose, since weight would be meaningless.)

If the universe has ends, what's outside them??

The circumference of a pint glass at the rim is just under twice its height.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 11:38:04

Stars are big round balls, so yes, there is a centre. It's the hottest, densest part. It's this heat and desity that causes nuclear fusion to occur because it's just so hot and dense.

What's outside the universe? Well, as I understand it, nothing exists. The universe itself expands, not just the things in it. Get you head aruond that if you can. Or possibly there's a really, really big alien playing marbles.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 11:39:59

A Black Hole has no size. It is compressed to an infinite density, and therefore the loads of sun sized stars worth of matter it takes is compressed into nothing. The black hole in space is the event horizen, the distance from the singularity from which light cannot escape due to the high gravity.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 11:51:27

garlicbutter - Here's one way to understand what's outside the universe. Imagine that the entire universe is nothing more than a single bubble in someone's bathtub. Except within each of the uncountable number bubbles is a universe. The laws of physics only exist within each bubble, and those laws may be completely different in each of those bubble. Outside of the bubble, nothing phyically exists from the persective of the inhabitants of the bubble, because outside of it there is nothing more within that reality. Our reality only extends as far the edge of the universe - out little 90b light year bubble. Does that make any sense?

CoteDAzur Wed 08-Jun-11 12:10:53

That is of course only a theory.

CoteDAzur Wed 08-Jun-11 12:22:33

Also, a black hole is a collapsed star, not an abstract concept. It has a mass and a size.

The blackness you would see in the sky is mostly just emptiness, of course, defined by the Event Horizon.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 12:24:55

Of course, Cote. But I make it a principle not to argue with something I only half understand.

What do you think is outside it?

I suppose the simplest idea would be that space exists as pure space, and therefore it's only the matter in it that matters. But I'm sure that that's not possible, it's got something to do with hte universe callapsing in on itself.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 12:27:15

I'm aware that a black hole is a collapsed star. But theorically, I've read on the subject that it is infinitely condensed and therefore it's size is null, but it's mass is still whatever mass made it.

BalloonSlayer Wed 08-Jun-11 12:27:27

"An erect penis is the same length as the very start of the hand to the tip of his middle finger."

Thanks for that loopylou6

So has anyone else on here measured their own hand to see how big their cock would be if they were a man?

Just me then . . . blush

I got SEVEN inches! < swaggers >

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 08-Jun-11 12:34:58

I love this thread smile

A guinea pig also cannot physically vomit.

I am usually the queen of useless facts, although cannot think of anymore.

Loved Pinot's 'gullible' one grin

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 12:44:26

The word "Peeping Tom" originates from the story of Lady Godiva. A wager was made that the taxes would be lowered if she rode through the streets naked on a hoarse. She asked that the entire town stayed in doors with their windows shut to save her dignity as she was doing this only to help them (she was a earless, I blieve, so money wasn't an issue to her). Everyone agreed, except for one man named "Tom" who snuck a peak through the window, but was apparently punished in some devine manor that I cannot recall. Hence the terms "Peeping Tom".

MixedClassBaby Wed 08-Jun-11 12:55:45

Bees have no bumholes? How do they go?

hugglymugly Wed 08-Jun-11 13:09:22

Seismic waves from large earthquakes circle the Earth for months, acting like striking a bell. Just as a bell has a fundamental note, so does the Earth – an E, 20 octaves below middle E on a piano.

extremepie Wed 08-Jun-11 13:17:12

Rubber bands last longer if you put them in the fridge.

Glow sticks carry on glowing if you put them in the freezer!

Salt does not actually make food taste better, it stimulates your taste buds to taste the food. The older you get the more your taste buds naturally deteriorate, so you need more salt to stimulate then, hence why older people usually use more salt!

Flour beetles would out-live cockroaches (and humans) in a nuclear disaster.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

I love this! I have many more....

ohmeohmy Wed 08-Jun-11 14:03:49

I wonder what the moonwalking pig singing to woo a mate will do if she's on a balcony and he can't look up?

clenching your teeth to tense your pelvic floor... good reason to relax the face in childbirth- good snog works a treat.

You would never do anything under hypnosis that goes against your moral code.

CoteDAzur Wed 08-Jun-11 14:25:36

Mass in a black hole is not "infinitely" condensed. It is just very condensed.

Google and you will see that black holes are actually classified according to their size.

CoteDAzur Wed 08-Jun-11 14:29:16

That old "We only use 10% of our brains" is rubbish, as anyone who has ever seen a brain scan knows.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 14:31:21

They're classified according to their Mass. Not their size.

Of course, the "black hole" is just the area beyond the event horizon. By the "centre", I refer to the singularity. I know Googling is not allowed, but I think we can to settle this. See the below extract:

Singularity
Main article: Gravitational singularity
At the center of a black hole as described by general relativity lies a gravitational singularity, a region where the spacetime curvature becomes infinite.[51] For a non-rotating black hole this region takes the shape of a single point and for a rotating black hole it is smeared out to form a ring singularity lying in the plane of rotation.[52] In both cases the singular region has zero volume. It can also be shown that the singular region contains all the mass of the black hole solution.[53] The singular region can thus be thought of as having infinite density.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_holes#Singularity

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 14:35:16

Although, just to clarify, the "size" of the event horizon is directly proportional to the mass of the singularity. If you condensed the Earth into a singularity, it would create an event horizon about 3.5m in diameter.

Insomnia11 Wed 08-Jun-11 14:36:32

I have quite good general knowledge, I think, but often find myself, especially when I'm within earshot of other adults "I hope I'm not talking a load of shit here" when I'm trying to explain something to one of my daughters.

Chilver rhymes with silver

Curple rhymes with purple

Sporange rhymes with orange

But I haven't a clue what rhymes with mirror smile

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 14:44:02

Are they real words?

There's a Sporran, which is the pouch on the front of a kilt, and a Sporangium (a flower).

garlicbutter Wed 08-Jun-11 14:44:15

Thanks for the bubble-bath universes, Atomic smile I like that, possibly because it fits in with something I learned as a child about the limits of human understanding meaning we can't 'know everything'. Scientific cop-out, but comforting if you're inclined to ask "But WHY?" as I still do.

Loving the Earth's voice, hugglymuggly! How fortunate it turned out to be an E (for Earth)!

Kaolin is an adsorbent, meaning it pulls stuff into it to be absorbed. That's why it makes a good face pack.

A chilver is a female lamb, haven't a clue what the others are but they're real smile Will have to use google blush

Ooh, apparently the curple is the small of the waist before the hips (where it starts to flare out.

Sporange is an alternative form of sporangium (a botanical term for a part of a fern or similar plant)

There is also hirple for purple, which means to limp.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 14:52:49

I just thought of one! grin

Blorenge!

It's a place, though. Not a word. A hill in Wales.

TheAtomicBum Wed 08-Jun-11 15:06:17

Garlic, I liked it too because it just makes you wonder about the scale of things. I was given the explanation when I asked someone who was way smarter than what came before the big bang. I didn't really understand the rest, but the idea of universes just being bubbles that form and burst, I sort of understood.

kissyfur Wed 08-Jun-11 16:25:48

a duck's quack doesn't echo, and no-one knows why..

plebshire Wed 08-Jun-11 17:15:23

hollow (and presumbly well sealed) tubes filled with bees are thought to have been used as early vibrators. As were rattlesnakes. The tail, obviously.

If a roman man had been cuckholded he could fuck the man up the jacksy to regain his honour. I seem to remember something about a swordfish in this story too, but without google that's all i've got.

On second thoughts perhaps it's just as well i'm not going to google 'anal sex' +'sword fish'.

Snorbs Wed 08-Jun-11 17:19:34

kissyfur, I think that thing about a duck's quack not echoing is apocryphal.