A white knuckle ride of a thread about PEARL BARLEY

(161 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:26:08

[Florence & The Machine Inspirational Music Intro]

Pearl Barley

[Shots of young people doing parkour on walls with graffiti]

Right I have 375 g of pearl barley left in my 500g bag and unless I get some VERY EXCITING and dramatic ideas of what the chuff to do with it the dds will be clearing it out from the top back shelf in 40 years time when I have snuffed it.

NO SOUP

Thank you

jooseyfruit Wed 02-Feb-11 21:29:42

rofl.

Risotto?

starfishmummy Wed 02-Feb-11 21:31:51

Lamb casserole

Chaotica Wed 02-Feb-11 21:33:03

<<base-jumps into conversation>>

I second risotto - but keep it cooking for a long time.

Or, there is some mongolian recipe where you cook it with mushrooms and make a sort of cake out of it.

<<double-back-flips out of thread>>

alarkaspree Wed 02-Feb-11 21:33:35

What did you do with the other 125g?

I think I would use it for a rain stick or similar craft activity.

Eleison Wed 02-Feb-11 21:37:03

<anoraky voice> Lamb shanks.

Not exciting, but delicious.

Pearl barley is delicious whatever you do with it. No need for fancy parkour. It is down wiv da yoof intrinsically.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:37:18

Chaotic get back here. A cake with mushrooms? Que?

alarka I did a thing with chicken and tarragon it was quite nice.

Oh and RAINMAKER??? I am 35 years old, with both children in school and do not need to making soothing rain noises to entertain myself.

I want to EAT IT.

yy ok risotto stuff could work

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:39:17

<brightens>

Is it really down wiv da yoof? With lamb shanks? I do like lamb shanks. What just shove it in the casserole with all the rest of it?

Eleison Wed 02-Feb-11 21:42:15

It is certainly down wiv my yoofs. I love it heartily. It is so comfy on the mouth.

<Steezy stompin in>

I put a handful in pretty much every slow cooking low temp casserole I make - lamb shanks, beef, chicken, pretty much anything and everything - the longer you cook it the more moisture it absorbs and the bigger it gets. Dull but true.

<Aciddrop out>

Eleison Wed 02-Feb-11 21:44:15

Doesn't it cure cistitis too?

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:47:18

This is not dull.

I think I am having a carbohydrate epiphany. I am so bored with rice and pasta and spuds.

I can just chuck a handful of pearl barley in. It is trendy and comfy on the mouth.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:48:10

Does it?

Cor

Medicinal properties too.

Yes! Googled and apparently is good for cystitis too - who knew? (well apart from Eleison?!)

doricpatter Wed 02-Feb-11 21:51:03

PMSL at parkour and rainstick and aciddrop

I fucking love you lot grin

And to get you started some recipes (incidentally for pretty much everything we've all said) are here

onepieceoflollipop Wed 02-Feb-11 21:56:24

I would chuck it on the basis that dh is a coeliac (gluten free) and I wouldn't want to accidentally cook it in a meal for him. wink

Congratulations on this most interesting and informative thread btw.

I almost started one some sort of seeds that I bought, I used half in some cookies but no one liked them (I ate them though as they were healthy)

I daren't start my own thread as someone is bound to accuse me of starting a thread about a thread.grin

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 21:58:03

Excellent dinosaurs. Thank you. Rabbit one looks good.

So do you measure yours out or is your handful a casual handful?

Definitely a generous casual handful - 2 if it needs thickening/too much liquid in the pot.

And they absorb liquid quickly so keep an eye on it!

LittleBoxes Wed 02-Feb-11 22:00:49

It would have been really nice in the lamb stew I've just eaten.

mummyosaurus Wed 02-Feb-11 22:01:56

I second, or third? lamb casserole.

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:03:34

Bung it in with beef stew. DELICIOUS.

It thickens it a lot though, so use plenty of port stock

MarineIguana Wed 02-Feb-11 22:05:45

It's horrible, if I eat stuff with pearl barley in it just feels like padding – like stuff you have to wade through to get to a nice bit of meat IYSWIM.

Soup with it in is indeed the worst offender. Bleuch.

I would use it to make bean bag animal of some kind.

(Which will be fine until someone spills ribena on it and it starts to germinate)

Just remembered that I've used it in spag bol, slow cooked all day on the hob, when I didn't have quite enough spaghetti. It has a similar texture to fat pasta cooked too long but with far better taste to it.

It is horrible if you use too much though and it absorbs all of the liquid - you'll need to practice - less is more probably.

Rubyonthetown Wed 02-Feb-11 22:10:25

BROTH

<runs>

CatIsSleepy Wed 02-Feb-11 22:10:31

i have had a bag of pearl barley in my kitchen cupboard for about 3 years so I am clearly no use to you.

am just hanging around this thread for the cheap thrills

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:11:28

No Marine nooooo

Only bright and happy pearl barley anecdotes please. At least with the whole handful bunging in revelation it will taste of the juices.

And no more craft ideas.

Eleison Wed 02-Feb-11 22:13:12

Oh yes, it has to taste of the juices. DH sometimes tries to make me cook it separately but I would never do that.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:19:55

I've only eaten it once now (apart from in toe splaying Sunday night Songs of Praise scotch broth) and even I know you would never have it sans juices.

Why would you want it on it's own? WHY?

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:19:58

barley polenta?

Cook it, and put it in a tupperware. RAM it down hard. Refrigerate overnight. Slice it into 1/2 inch slices in the morning, fry it in cooking spray (or butter, if you're not as fat as me, which wouldn't be hard) and serve with poached eggs on top.

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:21:09

God, I'm such a worthy dullard <<sigh>>

MarineIguana Wed 02-Feb-11 22:22:33

Oh coldtits. I didn't think it could get any worse. That sounds grim.

(Sorry slubber I mean of course yum Pearl Barley, tra-la-la-laaa!) hmm

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:23:12

That sounds quite advanced coldtits.

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:24:05

no, it's really easy.

<<slits wrists>>

Comfy on the mouth sounds nice

MmeLindt Wed 02-Feb-11 22:28:21

I don't ever KNOW what Pearl Barley is.

But tonight I learned what Lamb Shanks is in French (although I fear that someone is taking the piss and the butcher will roar with laughter when I order them next week).

Is Pearl Barley like lentils then? Going by the broth reference.

I'd say more like a cross between small pasta shapes and lentils - less scratchy and softer.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:30:03

sad oh. Oh no don't be sad about the polenta.

i'm going to start with the bunging in and may progress to the fried slices.

I'M NOT RULING IT OUT

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:30:10

It's like a cross between lentils and rice. It doesn't have the sometimes gritty qualitiy of lentils, it is more starchy, yet is chewier than rice.

MarineIguana Wed 02-Feb-11 22:31:12

It's a bit like eating wet cotton wool buds, without the sticks.

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:31:13

I am VERY tickled by the idea that you are, as we type, frantically boiling barley in an attempt to stop me crying. DOn't disabuse me of this image,. it's making me smile!

RustyBear Wed 02-Feb-11 22:31:35

Knew this thread had to be yours, slubber.

Apparently, snails are very fond of pearl barley...

deepdarkwood Wed 02-Feb-11 22:31:45

Well bugger me sideways, is it really spelt parkour? I always assumed it was parcours from the froglish.
Sorry, I have nothing to add on Pearl barley, ine is almost certainly Past Its Sell By Date.

YY - also like soft but chewy rice.

Get me and coldtits trying to describe it!

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:32:50

SHUT UUUUUUUP MARINE

Yes, yes I am boiling it now coldtits

in my head

And coldtits - can you really do the egg thing with it? Have you?

deepdarkwood Wed 02-Feb-11 22:33:33

Thank fuck for that - parcours is the original derrivation, so I remain cool in the face of pearliness en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

BeenBeta Wed 02-Feb-11 22:33:36

Make Barley Water with it. Chill in the fridge and feed to the DCs.

Very good for urinary infections as well as jolly nice on picnics in summer.

<invokes images of dashing young men and swooning ladies in crisp whites on a balmy summer day circa 1910>

MmeLindt Wed 02-Feb-11 22:34:53

Have googled and know German and French for Pearl Barley but don't think I have come across it. Will look in supermarket next time I am in town.

<adventurous>

MarineIguana Wed 02-Feb-11 22:34:57

Sorry i just came on here to slag off the pearl barley

The exciting thread title drew me in...

<gets coat>

Buda Wed 02-Feb-11 22:36:53

Love pearl barley. I wanted to find some recipes for it recently and looked up in BBC good food website and did a search. There are a few including a risotto that I want to try.

My granny always used to put pearl barley in her stews. Loved it.

coldtits Wed 02-Feb-11 22:40:06

yes. It's less like polenta than rissoto, really heavy boingy risotto. be careful slicing it.

And use lots of salt and pepper when you serve.

Who knew that barley water could be made from pearl barley? Clue was in the name I guess - am keeping that recipe for the Summer, thanks BB.

Will be trying the egg thing this weekend then, thanks.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:41:45

Barley Water! I never even made the connection [dur]. I really like barley water. Thank you beta.

Marine, you must like barley water?

AND snails like it.
(pearl barley, not barley water)

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 02-Feb-11 22:43:55

I knew this would be you Slubber.

Howzabout Irish Stew?

Expect many others have proferred this before me but, for once, I (whispers) have not read whole thread.

mathanxiety Wed 02-Feb-11 22:44:06

Could grit your drive with it if it snowed?

You can dredge it in dry breadcrumbs and parmesan, plus seasoning, and fry it as Coldtits suggests.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 02-Feb-11 22:44:27

I've never enjoyed barley before - not even the squash - but the thought of frying it has me thinking twice. Question - does this make me Nanny Ogg? hmm

Pearl barley is wonderful.

Use it like risotto rice. It's called Orzotto I think.

We do a think with winter veg,pearl barley, sausages and baked with cheese on top. Yum.

MarineIguana Wed 02-Feb-11 22:44:51

Barley water is OK but again it feels like a slight con compared to nice non-barley squash.

The snails is genius though - you can start a snail farm and eat the snails.

PerArduaAdNauseum Wed 02-Feb-11 22:45:38

would definitely have to involve parmesan. damn, hungry now.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 02-Feb-11 22:47:01

Yes, what is the chuffing point of lemon barley water? What is wrong with plain lemon squash, I ask.

Thought I was an aficionado of pearl barley what with my handful in every casserole thingy, but have learned lots tonight and I'm actually excited about using it for risotto and sliced with eggs on top now. <pathetic>

WhiteLight Wed 02-Feb-11 22:52:59

Take take the ink part out of a biro, and the little stopper off the end of the casing. Insert one piece of pearl barley into the biro casing and blow hard.

My brother and I had hours of fun doing this as kids.

WhiteLight Wed 02-Feb-11 22:53:25

Don't point it at anyone's face, mind...

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 22:53:59

It is a bit creamy bibbity. And lemon squash can sometimes be <arck squink lemonimy spasm>

But you were the first with Irish Stew

Mm the parmesan addition to the polenta slices sounds good.

Slubberdegullion Wed 02-Feb-11 23:00:08

WhiteLight

[stern]

That is not only silly, and potentially dangerous it comes in under the craft umbrella of suggestions.

No

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 02-Feb-11 23:06:39

Who the jiggery wants creamy squash?

Right, that's enough perversion for me. Up the wooden hill I go.

Greige Wed 02-Feb-11 23:35:37

Hi, this is my first (and possibly only) post to Mumsnet, tho' I've enjoyed reading the threads.

But..barley...this is my type of threadgrin

Have you heard of frumenty? Its a Medieval recipe, great instead of potatoes or bread.

Throw some into an ovenproof dish, add a little saffron then cover with chicken stock. Bung in an oven until cooked. Keep an eye on it and top up with stock if necessary. Depending on quantities this can be quite moist or slightly dry. It can also be simmered but needs more care to prevent burning.

Oh - and I'll second (or third, or fourth) the risotto idea - it's really yum

Greige

Chaotica Thu 03-Feb-11 00:12:01

So many amazing recipes turned up that I almost don't feel bad for having to reappear to admit that I've lost the Mongolian recipe... But it goes something like:

boil barley in stock, meanwhile saute onions and finely sliced mushrooms (with salt, pepper, chilli (?), whatever herbs you fancy - mongolian herbs slip my mind, but I think thyme might have been on the list, you could add paprika too to further lose authenticity). When the barley is done, cool a bit and mix the whole lot up (with hardly any of the barley liquid) with a beaten egg and put in a buttered ring cake tin (or just a normal one) in the oven for 3/4 hour or so. (160C? I don't know - I had an aga when I last made it.) Serve sliced with veg, gravy or sauce, or probably lamb stew if you're authentically mongolian about it.

This is such a vague recipe - I apologise blush It is tasty though.

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 08:07:19

Griege, do stay. mn needs people like you with knowledge of medieval recipes. So frumenty is a bit like mash then, a sort of soaking up on the side dish?

The Mongolian recipe juxtaposed to the frumenty is brilliant. God mn is so high brow sometimes.

I'm going to do all of these. February is going to be sponsored by pearl barley. I may have to buy another bag.

Buda Thu 03-Feb-11 08:31:21

Wonder will Mumsnet be responsible for a run on pearl barley. Will it be the next Waitrose Bottom Butter?

Buda Thu 03-Feb-11 08:33:02

Here are the BBC Good Food recipes! Enjoy.

Mme, I saw pearl barley in a MMM migros if that helps.

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 08:44:59

You know Buda it should. It was some insane price like 34p for a bag that I see is going to do at least another 4 meals.

I am actually quite an idle cook so the thought of just a careless handful shoved in to whatever thus releasing me from pissing about with the rice cooker or peeling spuds is wonderful.

I will do Chaotica's Mongolian cake thing though, and the frumenty, even if it's just to see the look of surprise and alarm on dh's face when I announce that's what we're having for dinner.

Eleison Thu 03-Feb-11 09:14:17

Some brilliant recipies here. It is good to see pearl barley finally getting the love that it deserves. Really really, its mouth-feel when cooked in a stew is the grown-up version of being suckled cuddled baby.

Is it really the basis of frumenty? I must try that. With frumenty I always think of the alcohol-laced version that causes the Mayor of Casterbridge to get drunk and sell his wife, with tragic novel-filling consequences.

So be careful with that recipe.

Buda Thu 03-Feb-11 10:05:29

Wonder could it help me sell DH?

Hidden benefits.

Eleison Thu 03-Feb-11 10:21:42

See, pearl barley is exciting. Spouse-sale doesn't need jazzing up with parkour.

I just had pearl barley for breakfast: bioled in a little water till near-cooked; then when water ran out I added a little milk, boiled a bit longer and ate when there was still a little bit of creamy boiled milk sloshing round.

Would have been even nicer with added rum but was lovely.

jonicomelately Thu 03-Feb-11 10:24:16

I LOVE pearl barley.

I've just done a Anthony Worral-Thomas slow cooker recipe with pearl barley, parma ham, spring greens and chorizo smile

Right Slubbers - go to your Plastic Cupboard Of Carnage, right now, this moment.

Rummage, dig and delve to find a box, with appropriate lid (I know, it's difficult, but I promise you it will be worth it).

Tip your 3/4 bag of pearl barley into box and seal tightly.

Now, go and find your phone or iPod (other mp3 players are available).

Got it?

Is it switched on?

Yes? Ok then, now drop it down the loo. (flushed or not, it won't make much any difference to the final outcome)

Quickly retrieve the gadget.

Right - now this is the important bit - do NOT switch the phone on.

If you can open the battery compartment, it's best to do so.

Seal the phone in the pearl barley grave box and put the box in a warmish place, but not the oven, like an airing cupboard.

Now, leave the gadget sealed in the box for 3 weeks until completely dry. The pearl barley will have absorbed all the moisture from the dunking and the gadget will smell of poo be as good as new.

I await your thanks.

<<not crafty at all>>

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 11:01:48

Wow.

And the mighty hidden depths of awesomeness that is Pearl Barley just keep on coming.

Fixing drowned electrical goods, enabling spousal sales, BREAKFAST OPTIONS (+/- rum), just learning the phrase mouth-feel has given me some unexpected joy.

Thank you Chaos for your step by step guide. I may
print off and laminate for future reference.

<<strokes own laminator with fondness>>

I make risotto with it with carrots, leeks & mushrooms in it. Yum. Making it tonight actually, might chuck some chorizo in too as have some lurking in the fridge.

We eat it with goulash (just beef or pork stoo wiv tomatoes, peppers and lots of paprika in it really). The kids love it - they think its a kind of rice (from the days when the ONLY thing DD2 would eat was rice - you'd be amazed what's in a name grin).

Eleison Thu 03-Feb-11 13:17:16

The clue is in the name, really. It is called pearl barley, which means "jewel of wholesome heartiness". Each grain is polished, truly. It is the queen of grains.

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 13:45:16

You would think they would put it in a posher and more regal looking bag wouldn't you?

AND get it up off the bottom shelf. I come over all snobby and precious if I have to stoop to get my groceries.

I see I made 34p up. 39p it is.

Eleison Thu 03-Feb-11 18:25:27

Guess what I had for dinner

PEARL BARLEY.

A nice risotto with bacon and mushrooms and chicken stock and sundry veg.

It was deeeLICious.

And I bought a top-up pack today. 39p in Tesco also.

That is nearly free.

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 18:31:05

Did you Eleison? grin

Hahahahaha

guess what I am having for dinner tonight?

It's a culinary adventure with bratwurst sausages, mushrooms and yes! Pearl Barley!

Woo hoo

Eleison Thu 03-Feb-11 18:34:03

I am sparklingly cystitis free now.

Who wants to start the bidding on my DH?

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 18:44:36

Delighted to hear of your super cleansed urinary tract.

I thought you could only sell the dh via the ways of frumenty?

MaryMungo Thu 03-Feb-11 20:27:23

I know it's a food thread, but barley can also make an excellent heat pack. Just bung it in a tight woven sock and knot the open end. Microwave for two minutes. I put mine at the foot of my bed every night smile

Slubberdegullion Thu 03-Feb-11 20:58:43

no no Mary.

There have been medicinal factoids, historical recipes, a literary reference, coldtits and the tupperware-egg combo and several silly craft suggestions so, no your heat pack tip is very welcome.

Of course now I have tasted its delights (twice!) I will only be using my pearl barley for stuffing in my face.

PerArduaAdNauseum Thu 03-Feb-11 21:08:39

I am clearly easily-led. I bought some pearl barley today. I have no time or plans to cook anything more complicated than toast until Sunday at least. Arse.

PerArduaAdNauseum Thu 03-Feb-11 21:13:45

Frumenty. What a fabulous word. Shall have to make some. <<gets out diary>>

Goldberry Thu 03-Feb-11 21:27:00

I've only tried it in soup and in beef stew, but found this recipe for squash and pearl barley salad with balsamic vinaigrette the other day. Looks yummy in the picture. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7995/squash-and-barley -salad-with-balsamic-vinaigrette Genius thread btw.

Maria2007loveshersleep Thu 03-Feb-11 21:48:47

Chaos!! If only I'd known!

3 weeks ago DS dropped my phone in the loo (part of the delights of potty training). Which led to endless trips & phonecalls to carphone warehouse until finally 3 weeks later phone was replaced.

And to think I have a tupperware of pearl barley in my kitchen somewhere... Who knew?!

Buda Thu 03-Feb-11 23:05:29

Well I cocked up our dinner tonight. Sat there saying "if I had only thrown in a handful of pearl barley it would have been nice".

Twit Fri 04-Feb-11 10:23:38

<<enters the fray>>

So you don't have to boil it if you're slow cooking it? Does that apply to lentils too?

<<lazy, hopeful emoticon>>

Am thinking of using it with bacon and tinned toms etc tonight?? I would normally make mash but peeling potatoes makes me feel sick.

<<sits down from the excitement>>

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 10:27:37

I would have thought no need to boil PB before a slowcook.

I confess I had pealr barley cooked in milk again for breakfast. Leetle bit worried about addiction issues now.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 10:57:27

You must start making your breakfast very early Eleison, that or eat it very late.

I have to admit to not reading the instructions on the packet and thought I could use it last night just like risotto.

No.

After quite a long time of stirring and testing I then read the packet and it need to be simmered for 1hour and 15 mins. Was forced to eat some cheese in the interim.

This is FINE for slow cooky casserole things but my all encompassing enthusiasm for PB (I see we are shortening it to PB now because we know what it is) has been slightly lessened with timing/simmering aspect.

It still tasted great! No complaints there oh no. We are having it again tonight so will join you in addictive issues corner Eleison.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 10:58:59

I'm going to do it in the slow cooker tonight.

I like to cover all the cooking bases thoroughly.

Tomorrow I may use it on the Cobb, or place it in a hole in the ground with hot coals and moss.

Twit Fri 04-Feb-11 11:05:24

I cooked it as I did the slow cooker stuff and added it near the end last time. It was lovely.
Maybe I'll try just the boiling part before adding it to the slow cooker today and cook it with the rest. Hmmm the possibilities...

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 11:20:37

The possibilities are endless Twit, as I am only just beginning to realise..

It is the polymath of carbs.

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 11:22:39

Well, re timing, for perfection in a stew it does need a couple of hours. But I boiled (vigorously) for only about twenty mins this morning and it was fine. Not quite so throbbingly succulent as I would wish, but fine. I think it cooks quicker in the plentiful liquid of breakfast boiing than in the realatively scarce juices of a stew.

The real key to its loveliness, incidentally, is that you can get it meltingly soft without all the disintegration issues that rice presents us with. Each grain is still, reolutely, itself when at maximum juicy engorgement. Unlike quitter rice.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 11:28:32

BLOODY HELL

That last post should come with a 15 certificate warning.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 11:29:48

<goes out for brisk walk to cleanse brain of throbbing barley images>

Twit Fri 04-Feb-11 11:44:15

So boiling it then stickin git in the stew for a couple of hours should be ok?

<<rice is sooo yesterday>>

Your breakfast idea sounds lovely

Twit Fri 04-Feb-11 11:51:59

<<wonders idly if cooking it on the porridge setting of slow cooker would work>>

piratecat Fri 04-Feb-11 11:56:14

lol slubber great title.

i recommend you use it as a facial scrub ?

ps i can't cook jack.

PearlBarley Fri 04-Feb-11 12:11:21

<twirls> honorary namechange.

When it's in a lamb stew it's renamed "Spew Stew" because of it's lumpiness and accompanying carrots it resembles sick. Tastes much nicer though.

Liking the breakfast idea muchly.

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 12:18:11

Ag. You are putting me off now. Love the name though.

I want to hijack the PFB acronym for 'Pearl Fucking Barley' -- to be used irritably whenever someone asks 'how can I liven up my stews'

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 04-Feb-11 12:30:11

I posted this recipe ages ago. Is good.

I generally just chuck PFB in casseroles though. Like the idea of a risotto (orzotto?) too.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 12:44:30

mm

Well PFB does make it sound a bit more edgy and dangerous. Not sure if it fits in without the whole 'comfy on the mouth' tag line though.

I am already planning out the conversation I'm going to have on the phone with Mr Sainsbury when he calls up to thank me for the 4000% increase in PB sales and offers me a job creating the new packaging.

<overestimates the geo-political/ retail influence of a thread in food topic>

115 posts on Pearl Fucking Barley, and that's a pretty geeky ingredient.

What's going to happen when we get to pulse-quickening pulses like aduki beans, (with thread overture by La Roux, shots of Heli-skiing, natch)? We could have a Mumsnet Store Cupboard Stampede on our hands.

Am I Being Unreasonable to Demand Dried Haricot Beans be Soaked Overnight?

DH refusing puy lentils - is it over?

Sister-in-Law's wedding cake bean-free and no wholefood ingredients on menu. Should DCs still be allowed contact?

Hullygully Fri 04-Feb-11 13:08:56

Separate it all out and paint each bit in beautiful colours. Throw it over the floor of the Tate Modern.

Deny plagiarism.

Piccalilli2 Fri 04-Feb-11 13:11:41

Jamie Oliver's dark sticky stew has pearl barley in it and is responsible for the three-quarters full bag at the back of my cupboard. Thanks to this thread I now know what to do with it.

Now, any ideas for the jar of marmite which I also bought for the afore-mentioned stew?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 04-Feb-11 13:22:40

The recipe I linked to upthread uses PFB and Marmite. Only in very small quatities.

bigbadbarry Fri 04-Feb-11 13:25:36

I really need to know what you did with the 125 missing grams?

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 13:27:29

Hullygully that is a TOP suggestion. It ought to be Tip of the Week. But I fear slubber will reject it as craft-related.

Hullygully Fri 04-Feb-11 13:31:41

Ah. Ok.

Carefully thread long strings of them together and attach to your car seat for a relaxing massage en voyage.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 13:54:01

tbh I'm breezy with the craft ideas now. Have got over the 'create a rainmaker' suggestion.

Lol @ aduki with heli-skiing.

Bigbadbarry here is the recipe I used the first 125g with, but not in a pressure cooker.

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 13:57:42

Hully you would need to employ like dozens of tiny crochet adept fairies to string PFB grains together, they are wee wee things and actually quite hard in the uncooked state.

Hullygully Fri 04-Feb-11 14:01:19

Moan moan moan

Okay, slather the car seat in pritt stick and hurl them liberally at it.

bigbadbarry Fri 04-Feb-11 14:03:51

That looks lovely. Given that you are not prepared to make it again, was it not?

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 14:04:33

I can't see why that wouldn't work.

Added benefit is that the taste of pritt stick would keep the dog from eating it

ibbydibby Fri 04-Feb-11 14:07:21

If still looking for edible ideas, I use it with grated carrot to make a vegetarian shepherds pie. (topping of mashed potato on top obvuously)

CatIsSleepy Fri 04-Feb-11 14:07:26

'throbbingly succulent'
lordy
the secret world of PFB, who knew

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 14:11:46

It was nice barry. I might make it again. It was quite in your face TARRAGON RAH! But maybe that is because I used dried as sainsbo's didn't have any fresh.

The tarragon overpowered the PB and everything else.

Less is more next time.

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 14:28:16

That reminds me of Tarragon the Dragon in The Herbs <nostalgia sob>

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 14:36:11

there there

[nostalgia sympathy face]

On a brighter note I thought up a packaging idea to suggest to Lord Sainsbury (is he still a Lord or more than a Lord?) when he contacts mnhq with a fruit basket of thanks.

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 14:38:24

Is it a pic of parkouring yoof with the slogan "^Fuckin^ comfy on the mouth"?

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 14:43:32

ALMOST

omg that is spooky

No

OK

So on the top maybe in words made of fire it has

PEARL BARLEY

And then underneath (not on fire)

'Comfy on the mouth while it autoclaves your bladder'

And under that is a picture of

A badass Mayor of Casterbridge, parkouring with a SCIMITAR

And then at the bottom

'The versatile and easy cook carbohydrate that you don't fuck about with'

Whadda ya think?

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 14:44:54

The scimitar is an in joke nod to the Mongolian recipe, even though I'm not sure if that is what Ghengis would have used.

Doodlez Fri 04-Feb-11 14:49:28

Brilliant thread title grin

Pearl Barley is only fit for making children's junk instruments.

Twit Fri 04-Feb-11 14:51:52

yes yes, I think though, it should be simple.

Plain (insert favourite colour) bag;

P. F. B.

<<picture of 'casually' scattered PFB>>

Throbbingly succulent

bestbefore etc etc

Eleison Fri 04-Feb-11 14:53:56

Well slubber that is splendid and I'm sure will play well in the focus groups..

But, look, I googled and got the passage below, and so I think you need to work in "mucilaginous" and "demulcent" to cover all demographics:

"A mucilaginous substance is obtained when hulled barley (pearl barley) is cooked; good nutritional source for throat or stomach problems. The demulcent properties of cooked barley is useful in external treatment of sores, fevers, diarrhea, gout, and tumors. Used as a tonic during convalescence.

Barley water is a skin freshener, cleanses and softens skin. Made by simmering 3 tbsp. barley in 3 cups water for an hour. Strain and cool. Rinse off face after using and refrigerate the barley water. This is best for normal skin. Drinking barley water is also supposed to clear and beautify the skin; sweeten with honey and orange juice.

Barley shoots are used to dry mother's milk, treat food stagnation, weak stomach, weak digestion, loss of appetite, and hepatitis. "

Hullygully Fri 04-Feb-11 14:57:52

I'd stick with the in car massager

bigbadbarry Fri 04-Feb-11 15:15:05

Rinse it off then refrigerate sounds a bit unhygenic to me - do you have to rinse it into a special bowl?

Slubberdegullion Fri 04-Feb-11 15:30:03

gawd

Mucilaginous is pretty specific to PFB isn't it.

Maybe the mayor could be driving in a tank sat on a seat with the in car massager and he is shouting "It's mucilaginous!" in a menacing fashion.

Yes I want to know why you store and refrigerate your dirty barley faced water?

oldgreybird Fri 11-Feb-11 17:33:19

My DP has a problem with pearl barley - he likes it but it doesn't seem to like him. Last time he had any it was years ago when he used to teach at an art college. He ended up having to rush into a tiny store room/cupboard in the room to let off the most foul, evil smelling farts. To avoid his students hearing him, he tried to cover up the explosions with loud coughing but, of course, that only made the farting worse! And he spent the rest of the class in a state of dread in case someone needed to get something and was knocked unconscious when they opened the store cupboard door!
Clearly, the whole episode has scarred him for life as he hasn't touched pearl barley since then and I only need to mention it for him to suddenly decide he would like to cook supper instead of me!

Slubber Fri 11-Feb-11 18:36:50

shock oldgreybird. No such fartogenic effects here so far.

grin @ PFB making the round up.

DirtyMartini Fri 11-Feb-11 19:40:13

Loving the 'words made of fire' grin

IngridBergmann Fri 11-Feb-11 19:45:55

What happens if you cook it for days and says? Does it actually get enormous? Like, you could be physically attacked by one grain, sort of big?

If so I would make it into (several hundred) beanbags.

everythingchangeseverything Fri 11-Feb-11 19:59:21

In honour of this should-be-in-classics thread, I have some PFB soaking in the fridge. Tomorrow, it will be stew. You have reminded me that it was one of the only things DS would eat when he was 10 months-ish. Used to make vats of the stuff and pour it in with a cup (spoon refuse-nik).

SoSweet Fri 11-Feb-11 20:06:52

Good in a casserole with a ham joint, carrots, onions, celery etc etc

DirtyMartini Fri 11-Feb-11 21:47:35

This is the kind of thread you used to get back when classics really were classics <nostalgic>

manicmij Fri 11-Feb-11 23:44:23

Lemon Barley Water is a good alternative to Soup!

iscream Mon 14-Feb-11 08:39:50

PFB sounds like the perfect thing to store vats full, in case of Apocalypse. It has so many uses! If barley water is good for the complexion, imagine a scrub as mentioned, using barely water with it!
I see it can be used to pay wages as well!
[[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_th e_Apocalypse}}

iscream Mon 14-Feb-11 08:41:01

I have bought some Pearl Barley now.

I feel it deserves capitals.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

Some bulgar wheat too.

So if I want to make risotto with pearl barley...

how much stuff?

how long to cook?

SlubberKongWubba Tue 01-Mar-11 18:18:03

It takes much longer than risotto rice Trillian (says she who has only done it once). About an hour, maybe more. didn't fart arse about with all the stirring shennanigans. Amounts about the same as rice.

I did it (the PB risotto) with bratwusrt sausages. It was VERY good.

i have nearly finished the original packet smile

An hour?! That's ages! Good excuse to eat olives while you wait I guess.

SlubberKongWubba Tue 01-Mar-11 19:39:01

yes!

I was taken by suprise too.

dh and I had no olives, or snackerage of any sort OR any wine so we had to drink port pre the PB risotto.

Mmm, port!

RustyBear Thu 06-Oct-11 11:06:52

Sometimes old threads are worth reviving...

SilentBoob Fri 30-Dec-11 09:35:07

I am supposed to be looking for that thread about St Moritz tanning cream. Dh doesn't believe me that I have been side-trached for 20 minutes reading about Pearl Fucking Barley.

SkivingAgain Fri 30-Dec-11 10:09:05

Grateful thanks to SilentBoob for resurrecting this thread. It's 'before my time', as a newish MNer. Brilliant grin

Someone else just mentioned this thread and I Googled. I am now resurrecting for the sole purpose of pointing out that in just over two years the price of Pearl Fucking Barley has ROCKETED from 39p to 55p! Now see what happens when you bloody MNers make things trendy!"!!

*I have never bought, cooked or eaten PFB. (Pearl Fucking Barley, not precious first-born. Although I didn't cook and eat him, either.)

Trills Sat 20-Jul-13 15:50:42

I have a soup with PFB in it on the hob right now.

Yes I know it's summer, I like soup okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now