This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Can you come to Westminster with us to support the White Ribbon Alliance on Friday 12 March?

(190 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Mar-10 12:23:25

Following on from Carrie's trip to Malawi to see the reality of birth for women in developing countries, lots of you have asked whether there's anything else we can do, so Mumsnet has teamed up with the White Ribbon Alliance, Oxfam, Amnesty International, Save the Children, the ONE Campaign and Women For Women International to plan a morning of action in Westminster.

On the morning of Friday, 12 March, the nearest Friday to Mothers' Day, the coalition is going to hold a Minute for Mothers.

The idea is to gather at 10.30am in Old Palace Yard, opposite the House of Commons, wearing white if possible (handy if you are Elizabeth Hurley), and lay flowers and hold a minute's silence for all the women who have died in childbirth. Everybody - women, men, children, dogs - is welcome at this event.

Following the Minute for Mothers, Mumsnetters will be running a Mums' Cafe in the House of Commons between 11.30am and 12.30am.

This is where you come in!

We need volunteers to come down to Westminster wearing their best Cath Kidston pinnies and help to serve teas, coffees and (inevitably) cupcakes to Westminster's finest, while a panel of slebs and worthies harangue them about maternal mortality.

Numbers are limited at this event, so it will be first come, first snapped up.

Finally, if for some reason London is not the centre of your universe, or you are otherwise unable to come, don't forget that you can pledge to hold a dinner party, buy a 'safe birth' certificate, do some tweeting or contact the party leaders to stress the importance of approving maternity services in developing countries.

Further details and links on our maternal mortality campaigns page.

Please sign up here to any or all of these activities, and let us know what you think. We're off to buy some Betty Crocker icing and sugar balls.

mollyroger Thu 04-Mar-10 13:01:32

oh i would do this like a shot if trains weren't so bloody expensive!
I am in my element running teashops! and such a good cause.

Energumene Thu 04-Mar-10 14:24:24

Would love to help out: I'm based in the East End, so can easily be there :-)

I also make darn good cupcakes!

choosyfloosy Thu 04-Mar-10 15:58:33

I'm really sorry, especially after the amazing time I had on Tuesday, but it's not possible for me to come to that London again so soon. Will look into doing something locally.

SwarthyWaiter Thu 04-Mar-10 15:59:57

oh lord
londona nd a FRIDAY
disaster for me

mollyroger Thu 04-Mar-10 19:16:09

anyone thinking going from The North??? Give us a lift!

Oh I really wish I could be there, even just to take part in 'the minute' but I have a big day at work, gutted.

Will try and change things around so I can be there but won't be able to offer my impeccable tea serving skills, just incase I can't get there sad

domesticslattern Thu 04-Mar-10 20:29:55

I'd love to come, but presumably two year olds not welcome to come along too?

mii Thu 04-Mar-10 21:11:51

I would love to come, but not sure DDs headteacher would authorise absence for the day grin

Do you think you could throw in a politician or two, I could call it an educational trip grin

mii Thu 04-Mar-10 21:12:16

sorry am grin happy tonight

This is a really good idea. Count me in.

me me me me me

did i mention i would love to/can do this grin

and i have a xath kidston apron!!

or even cath!!!

will stop posting now!!

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Mar-10 11:00:48

Many thanks to Energumene, allstarsprincess and MrsTicklemouse for volunteering: consider yourselves hired. We will email you in a few days with all the details.

Domesticslattern – we think that two-year-olds would be positively encouraged (it is an event about mothers and babies, after all), but we will double check and get back to you asap.

Mii, there will indeed be some politicians in attendance. Would you like us to write a note to your headteacher for you? wink

Still some spaces left ladies, don't be shy. grin

And for full details about the myriad ways you can support the maternal mortality coalition, have a look at this page.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 05-Mar-10 12:57:00

Domesticanlantern, we've had it confirmed that it’s fine to bring along children.

sungirltanhasanactualhairstyle Fri 05-Mar-10 13:17:13

oh i wish i could come!! have a brill time everyone that does go x

mrsbaldwin Fri 05-Mar-10 16:33:43

Well, I haven't worked in a cafe for about 20 years... but it's not far for me to go. So you can put me down if you like

hunkermunker Fri 05-Mar-10 17:50:52

Hm, I am tempted...

Domesticslattern i think i'm going to bring DS1 (4y)

MarsLady Fri 05-Mar-10 18:16:41

Could you not just send me the cakes and I'll tell you how they taste? grin

citybranch Fri 05-Mar-10 18:21:38

I'd love to help, I will definitely be there if there is space!

InmyheadIminParis Fri 05-Mar-10 18:25:02

I could make it for 11AM on friday until if that's any use? Would love to help out.

policywonk Fri 05-Mar-10 18:25:36

<campaigns hat>

mrsbaldwin (yey!) and cityhunter, you're in

g'wan hunker, you know you want to

Mars, it's looking as though the cupcakes might be replaced by biscuits biscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now