This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Campaign to end Bounty sales reps' access to maternity wards - please read and share

(864 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Jun-13 22:16:27

Evening all,

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to fill in our survey on Bounty and share your stories - from the initial idea onwards, this really is a campaign that has been prompted by your concerns, as posted on Mumsnet.

The survey showed that a very large majority (82%) felt it was unacceptable for Bounty sales reps to be on hospital wards, as well as highlighting a number of other concerns about Bounty reps' selling practices, so we're calling on government to end this kind of direct selling/data collecting on NHS wards. See more here.

It's clear, from the survey results, that, even after Bounty updated its code of conduct (these results only include users who gave birth from May 2012 - the full results containing prior data are here) its practices leave a lot to be desired, and that Mumsnet users feel very strongly that the maternity ward is no place for a hard sell, so we're really hoping that government will listen to us.

Here's how you can help...

Please sign the petition

If you're on Twitter please tweet your support for the campaign with the hashtag #bountymutiny and the following link:

If you're on Facebook then please like campaign page our campaign page (there's a FB link to click at the top on the left).

If you're on Google+, well, you'll know what to do.

We'll, of course, keep you posted here about the campaign and any developments. Thanks to everyone for their stories, honesty and input. Here's hoping we can make a difference!

RosieRose1980 Tue 23-Jul-13 16:32:55

Thanks for this, will definitely be supporting this campaign!

ICBINEG Tue 23-Jul-13 17:08:47

ohh I have had further conversation with my exec. I suggested an opt in policy whereby new mothers could inform a midwife that they would like a visit from the Bounty rep having first been informed what role said person actually has. This would ensure that any patient meeting a rep did so with their eyes open and at their own request.

She said she thought the suggestion was 'very reasonable' and she would be checking the practicalities and legalities regarding their contract....

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Tue 23-Jul-13 17:23:33

I don't see a problem with ads visible at prenatal appointments. The whole problem with Bounty reps is that they gather information when you are in hospital in a vulnerable position after giving birth.

An ad at a prenatal appointment is passive - you are just seeing it. You are not approached, questioned, asked information and pressured to buy anything. Most people at prenatal appointments are not anywhere near the state of vulnerability that they are in hospital immediately after birth.

I think there's a huge difference between the two things.

ParsingFancy Tue 23-Jul-13 17:31:19

thanks ICBINEG

courgetteDOTcom Tue 23-Jul-13 17:45:17

cierzo, we've asked for reps not to be on wards, in most hospitals photography and bags are done by the same person. How is that anything like adverts on boards in the antenatal clinic???

The problem with opting in on a ward is there are other patients. I think they need a space in the hospital, if they must be there, that people can visit.

cierzo Wed 24-Jul-13 10:20:51

Well, hospitals should be hospitals, they should not allow advertisement for anything that is business related IMO. Frankly there is a lot of mambo jambo involved with pregnancy and birth. I am the sort of person that prefer the actual scientific facts.

an interesting aibu thread that seems to have been missed

Bounty appear to be asking new mums on their books for feedback... wink

RedToothBrush Wed 24-Jul-13 20:55:02

BeyondTheLimitsOfAcceptability I LOVE your response!

I hope lots of people follow your example! It strike me that Bounty are pooping their pants from that.

In other Bounty related news... I have had a response!!!

Hats off to Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust for doing that at least and I do feel its positive given that they were one of my 5 original targets. They don't have a Bounty Photographic service (turns out it was removed in April 2012 after a survey of patients!) but they still use the packs.

I've forwarded it on to MNHQ and I hope they put the full thing up on their campaign page.

It is good news smile They are taking it to their ethics committee.

I can not ask for anything more than that at this stage, and I am a very happy bunny at that for a result.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 04-Aug-13 14:45:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ParsingFancy Sun 04-Aug-13 15:23:14

Suffolk! thanksthanksthanks

JaneMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 05-Aug-13 12:00:57

Latest article in Independant: watchdog to be set up in response to survey

Article here

Good morning,

Yes, as Suffolk has very efficiently already shared (thank you, Suffolk!), do take a look at the Independent on Sunday's front cover story, by Jane Merrick.

As you'll see, Health Minister Dr Dan Poulter has told the IoS that:

'hospitals must "get a grip" in keeping reps away from mothers who have just given birth. He said that the Care Quality Commission would be able to take action against maternity wards and birthing units that did not "ensure the protection of women's privacy and dignity", including stopping private firms from approaching new mothers to ask them to sign up for a parenting club, buy professional photographs with their baby or hand over personal data which is then sold on to third-party companies.'

ICBINEG Mon 05-Aug-13 12:59:58

very good stuff! I think I will reforward it on to my local exec as it matches closely with the way forward we were discussing!

JackNoneReacher Mon 05-Aug-13 13:04:35

There's no question that some units do not currently

"ensure the protection of women's privacy and dignity"

which should go without saying.

I'd welcome action from the Care quality commission it would be a great start.

piprabbit Mon 05-Aug-13 14:11:59

Every hospital should already have an independent Maternity Services Liaison Committee, working to bring together parents and professionals to ensure that maternity services reflect the concerns and needs of the local population.

Can I suggest that people also contact their local MSLCs and ask them to get involved in the Bounty campaign - they should include commissioners, directors etc. as well as medical staff and so coul dbe a good way of flagging your concerns.

HoleyGhost Mon 05-Aug-13 14:26:31

This is great - well done to all of you!

JulesJules Mon 05-Aug-13 16:01:10

I emailed Newcastle Upon Tyne NHS Foundation Trust over 2 weeks ago about this, including an account of my own experience after giving birth at the RVI.

No reply yet.

confuddledDOTcom Mon 05-Aug-13 19:27:20

Great news!

RedToothBrush Mon 05-Aug-13 21:26:48

Wow, thats a little bit of a U Turn from Dr Poulter...last thing I saw him say something, his turn of phrase was much more favourable to Bounty. I'm guessing a little bit of pressure from MPs has made him have to look at this a bit closer.

The fact that the CQC are allowed to act now is brilliant. Its great they officially have teeth on this (though I actually said in Dec this was well within their remit because of hospitals duty of care to protect patients rights and privacy but well done Dr Poulter on picking up on the fact).

Brilliant, brilliant news!

So HMRC say that it is cheaper to pay Bounty than to post them individually. How about having the forms handed out by the Registrar when parents register the birth, surely that would be cheaper?

ParsingFancy Tue 06-Aug-13 11:18:55

Yes, because posting application forms individually is something they do for every other benefit.hmm Or registration at school or GP, etc.

If people having babies can't cope with going online or to the post office, to apply for this highly publicised and very widely claimed benefit, then there are countless other opportunities on the "new baby" treadmill for pressing CB forms into their helpless little hands.

SuffolkNWhat Tue 06-Aug-13 11:35:07

confuddledDOTcom Tue 06-Aug-13 12:41:53

or with the red book.

SuffolkNWhat Tue 06-Aug-13 12:49:23

edam Tue 06-Aug-13 12:55:03

Bounty's response in the Indie story is so patronising. 'Mums' apparently welcome Bounty packs and 99% of 'Mums' think Bounty is fab - I think not!

SuffolkNWhat Tue 06-Aug-13 12:56:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now