This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

just had a run in with the maternity ward bounty photographer

(799 Posts)

And having previously defended them and loved my pictures of my eldest children todays 'rep' has made me agree they need to be removed from wards!

She arrived originally before breakfast turned on the lights and opened curtains waking me and the other Mum up, then continued to talk over the peadiatrician who was checking my dd over.

Eventually she sulked off but apparently came back when I was asleep (how dare I?) Last time she came back as I'd just settled dd and was eating lunch which had just arrived.

I said No photos at the minute thanks she got most insistant that its for security reasons?? (I'm going home today) and said she'd just lean round and take them, dd was asleep on my lap in a v pillow whilst I ate. I said again, not right now I'm eating she left brochures and went off muttering quite loudly.

I'm hormonal so ofc this has upset me, but not as much as the first time mum across they way! WHY are these people allowed to just walk around a maternity ward being so fucking rude!

Meglet Fri 21-Dec-12 14:55:40

I only saw one briefly with DS1. I was expressing and she just chatted about what a PITA bf was when it didn't work properly. She never asked for photos with him or with DD 2yrs later. Another ugly family here grin. I did get my pack though.

Agree they shouldn't be allowed on the wards.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Dec-12 14:56:55

I am friends with my MP, he is quite involved with Health as he has been campaigning about the maternity services in our local Trust - I will ask him about maybe bringing this up as a debate.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Dec-12 15:01:35

Have confirmed my email address, when the petition is live (may take up to 7 days apparently) I will post a thread with the link on it

DontmindifIdo Fri 21-Dec-12 15:05:19

oh, my notes are decanted into a non-Bounty branded pack straight off. In fact this time round I just binned the pack from the midwife without even bothering to look what was in it.

RedToothbrush Fri 21-Dec-12 15:14:31

I've posted about this before, but I strongly believe that methods routinely used by Bounty break various Trading Standard rules (about approaching people at vulnerable times, approaching people who are unable to leave freely, hard sell tactics, dishonest representation - by saying its for security reasons or you won't get benefits and I think there were a couple of others I can't remember). I doubt anyone has taken it to Trading Standards though, as the obvious place to complain would be to the hospital, who have a vested interest in not pursing complaints. I do think its an angle that someone needs to seriously look at.

Trouble is to take it to Trading Standards you have to have a 'live case' as such. You can't do it purely on historical anecdotes. You need a bunch of people to actively complain. Which obviously is not something that women who've just been in hospital and have a new born to worry about, have at the top of their to do lists. Hence why I don't think anyone's really done this before.

tasmaniandevilchaser Fri 21-Dec-12 15:17:47

oh state sorry you had a Bounty rep run in, hope you can relax now you've sent her on her way. "for security reasons"????!!!!!! wtf!!

nigel I'd be interested in signing the petition, maybe put a link in here as well?

I never met a Bounty rep with DD but after these horror stories, he/she will be sent packing this time around.

Nivet Fri 21-Dec-12 15:26:34

Bounty are absolute assholes.

Any responsible data company or mailing house should be using both the MPS linked to earlier and the Bereavement Register to ensure that mail only goes to those that want it.

Seriously, if a Bounty lady had approached me and kept bothering me I would tell her to Fuck Off and if she came back I would report her.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Dec-12 15:36:45

interesting article from 2009

Think it's high time this issue got another airing - especially if the BMJ, NCT etc were behind it.

OhDear - I shall be signing that petition.

TeeElfOnTeeShelf Fri 21-Dec-12 15:55:26

So this was brought up in 2009 and it's still going on? Did the Information Commission do anything at the time?

I don't usually sign petitions. This one I'll sign.

cbeebiesatemybrain Fri 21-Dec-12 16:01:39

OhdearNigel you are a star smile I will definitely sign and share on facebook.

I forgot to say congratulations op! Does your new dd have a name yet?

charlottehere Fri 21-Dec-12 16:04:49

What an arse, her not you. Did she expect you to pay for the security photos? shock

I must admit to being a bit shocked that the bounty lady came into the delivery suite (when all done a nd dusted) to take my details, give me a pack. hmm

cakesonatrain Fri 21-Dec-12 16:05:51

Oh god I'd forgotten about the bloody bounty woman! I will be firmly telling her to naff off this time!

MarriedToSonOfAPreacherMan Fri 21-Dec-12 16:20:05

When I first read about Bounty on MN (having been handed the first pack by my mw so thinking before that they were legit), I went to their website to remove my details. They had my previous rather than my current address - and I was never pg or had any dealings with maternity services when we lived there. So looks like people are selling them details as well as vice versa. angry I was all prepared for a run-in when I had DD, but was lucky and got one who was polite and took no for an answer - though she did try to spin me the line about needing the pack for the CB form.

TooImmatureMincePies Fri 21-Dec-12 16:21:14

I told mine to go away. Think DH was a bit shocked, until I explained afterwards. She seemed a bit stunned too - don't think many new mothers are quite so resistant. I only knew because of MN!

Thank you ohdearnigel ill keep an eye out for it.

She's called Lily cebeebies

I actually thought they'd removed the bounty lady from our hospital as I didn't see her sooner, and with ds and dd1 she appeared several times a day, dd was born wednesday and I was lulled into a false sense of security, I just couldn't believe the fact that she said, "oh ill just lean over and take a photo" I had to be really firm and it made me feel very vulnerable, I had wonderful mws and support otherwise and feel this has put a dampner on my experience as such. Really wish I had still got the pregnancy rage and had torn her a new one, loudly.

StiffyByng Fri 21-Dec-12 16:37:02

I had a home birth last time, never bothered getting the packs when pregnant or afterwards and find the whole idea of these reps repellent. How dare they?

By the way, our registrar filled in the CB form with us when we registered the birth. I think this is increasingly common. Really no need for these tacky packs.

LookingForwardToMarch Fri 21-Dec-12 16:38:12

I like to fill in the wrong details on the form smile

topbannana Fri 21-Dec-12 16:42:52

I used to be a photographer on the maternity ward, though for an independent company rather than Bounty. The company I worked for paid a great deal to the hospital for the privilege of having their photographer on the ward, as well as a donation for every photo sold.
That is why they are allowed to wander around at will and harrass you smile

gwenniebee Fri 21-Dec-12 16:44:27

Wow! I'm really shocked to hear that. The lady who came round our ward was fairly nice (although she made me think that what I was doing in giving my details was necessary procedure and I had no opt-out). There was no talk of photos. I do get a crap-load of emails from them though.

Emma's Diary - now I know they sold my details despite the fact that I ticked all the boxes to say not to.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Dec-12 16:46:46

it's disgusting. So if I paid enough could I wander around any old ward doing what I like ? Although the Saville/Stoke Mandeville seems to indicate "yes you can".

Flash enough cash and you get what you want. Whether you're a supermarket knocking down a primary school, a commercial organisation harassing post natal mothers or a predatory paedophile sad

JenFrankincenseAndMyrrh Fri 21-Dec-12 16:55:02

I'm glad the hospital I was at doesn't have Bounty reps although after a 4 day labour I could have had a real go at one if they did.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Dec-12 17:02:47

Think I might make a request from my local NHS trust under freedom of information how much money they derive from Bounty

ReindeerOutdoors Fri 21-Dec-12 17:08:19

Hated the bounty woman. I'm a very non confrontational person but this time around I'm determined not to give her any details. Will definitely be signing that petition too.

How are they paid? Presumably on some kind of commission?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now