This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

Campaign for Better Miscarriage Care - have you got two mins?

(62 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Mar-12 15:04:34

Hello

You might remember that, as part of our Campaign for Better Miscarriage Care, we called for a change to the term 'evacuation of the retained products of conception' to describe the surgical procedure which some women undergo following a miscarriage.  

Great news - following discussions with the Dept of Health, a consultation has been launched by the Association of Early Pregnancy Units and the Miscarriage Association with a view to officially replacing ERPC with an alternative term.  One term being considered is 'surgical completion of miscarriage', as suggested by MNers on a previous thread, along with 'surgical removal of miscarriage' and 'surgical treatment of miscarriage'.

It's terribly exciting that the campaign is starting to galvanise change - so if you've got a mo, do go to the survey site and let them know which term you think is the most suitable. And don't forget to come back and tell us that you've done it!  We'll be sure to keep you informed of progress as things move forward. 

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Thu 29-Mar-12 20:53:27

Done, thank you MN and the Miscarriage Assoc, one step on a long road forward.

MrsLovelyPants Thu 29-Mar-12 22:21:34

Done. I always thought that term ERPC sounded horrid, glad they are doing something about it.

Chocolatebrowniequeen Thu 29-Mar-12 23:02:48

Done

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Fri 30-Mar-12 00:12:52

I wasn't for a minute arguing that the term spontaneous abortion (god, don't even like typing it) should be kept, I too find it abhorrent. Just saying that I hope the med profession don't fail to adopt the new name because it isn't "technical" enough iyswim, which if course is wrong. Anyway, not going to post about that again as I don't like using the term. sad

Solo Fri 30-Mar-12 01:04:23

Done.

LineRunner Fri 30-Mar-12 10:20:55

Done

done, preferred completion.

PestoPenguin Fri 30-Mar-12 13:21:27

Sorry realhouse and kitkat, I didn't mean to upset you further sad.

I find the term miscarriage quite hard myself actually, as it suggests to me that my body was at fault sad. Pregnancy loss is how I would refer to it.

I agree that I wouldn't want the word 'baby' in there, even though I viewed my two early miscarriages as the loss of a baby each time sad.

nappymaestro Fri 30-Mar-12 14:45:46

Pesto thank you for posting that - I think pg loss is best.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Fri 30-Mar-12 15:31:52

Done. I went for the completion option.

Completion sounds the best IMO
Treatment sounds like hope which you want above anything else at that time
And I too wish that I could think of something better than surgical!

Lynzw75 Mon 16-Apr-12 21:29:52

I suggested Surgical assistance with miscarriage too as suggested previously as miscarriage does occur naturally but some women need assistance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now