PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

We Believe You: we're launching our rape awareness campaign today.

(522 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Mar-12 15:56:08

Today, we're very proud to be launching a new campaign. It's called 'We Believe You', and it's inspired by the many MNers who've asked us to speak out about the prevalence of rape and sexual assault in women's lives.

While we're at it, we're going to try to explode, once and for all, some pernicious myths about rape - about who does it, what it is, and whom it can happen to. These myths mean that many victims are denied justice: our survey confirmed that most don't report their rape or sexual assault, for fear of being disbelieved.

So the message of our campaign is in the title - we believe you. We hope MNers will get behind it, and spread that message far and wide - on Facebook, and on Twitter, using the hashtag #webelieveyou. And don't forget to let us know what you think here on this thread.

We're also giving a shout-out to Rape Crisis, the End Violence Against Women coalition, and Barnardo's - all of whom are supporting our campaign. They all work hard on sexual violence issues - either by supporting those who've experienced it, or campaigning for better prevention strategies - so do see if you can help them out.

MNHQ x

justalittleinsane Mon 12-Mar-12 11:23:22

To those who have posted their experiences, I just wanted to say, my heart goes out to you all [flowers].

EnjoyResponsibly Mon 12-Mar-12 11:34:47

The campaign is being discussed on Jeremy Vine R2 at noon.

DustyDen Mon 12-Mar-12 11:37:49

The 'We Believe You' title made me cry with relief and happiness. All I want is to be believed. Excellent, excellent choice.

happygilmore Mon 12-Mar-12 11:43:49

Well done MN, it's great to see finally the truth about sexual violence being promoted.

HelenCupCakes Mon 12-Mar-12 11:43:59

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Nyac Mon 12-Mar-12 11:46:03

Helen have yu read the details of the survey?

Most rapes aren't even reported - rapists are getting away with it all the time.

HelenCupCakes Mon 12-Mar-12 11:47:07

HelenCupCakes Mon 12-Mar-12 11:47:34

HelenCupCakes Mon 12-Mar-12 11:48:25

justalittleinsane Mon 12-Mar-12 11:48:26

Helen, if lots of surveys ae exagerated, why on earth are you quoting them, and using Wikipedia, that well known factually based site, to back up your (in some places) ridiculous points.

FWIW rapists have far more rights than their victims.

sairygamp Mon 12-Mar-12 11:48:36

perhaps that's another campaign then Helen.

Darleneconnor Mon 12-Mar-12 11:48:54

I've reported that post, Helen.

Totally inappropriate.

HelenCupCakes Mon 12-Mar-12 11:50:40

When females do make false allegations and they are prosecuted they are often not even put in prison. That is outrageous since a man would get 5 years for rape. the woman should get the same punishment

No don't report. Thisbis what women have to deal with

bomsback Mon 12-Mar-12 11:52:06

"It is easy for a woman to imagine she has been raped" hmm

Helen, your cause and this one are two very seperate things. If you want to start a campaign about yours then please do so. Otherwise, please allow the good work of MN to go on without tangent as it has already clearly helped people on this board and will help many others.

cityhobgoblin Mon 12-Mar-12 11:53:35

Very true StealthPolarBear, unfortunately . Thank you for the campaign Mn

SanctiMoanyArse Mon 12-Mar-12 11:53:44

Men may well be falsly accused

Why does that make any difference to those of us who have been raped?

It dosn't, it a different campaign, one worth havung maybe, but in no way one that would take anything from this.

However, women who 'imagine they have been raped'- really? I doubt it. I seriously suspect a women knows, if she chooses to make up an allegation one would assume she is aware of that- either that or she has MH difficulties anyway.

There have to be wide definitions because rape is not one single scenario, but ultimately sex without permission = rape: there are no excuses, men are not stupid beings who can;t help themselves if a women ahs given off wrong signals or whatever- I have taught my boys that they should get a yes (and not one under duress either) before sex, and that any chance of alcohol or drugs or anything else impairing reasoning = an automatic presumed no.

KalSkirata Mon 12-Mar-12 11:54:49

Nyac Mon 12-Mar-12 11:55:06

Well here is Helen showing exactly why this survey and campaign is needed.

Women who've been raped don't report rapes becaues they know they won't be believed and it will be them who is attacked. Other victims of crime do not face this level of disbelief.

justalittleinsane Mon 12-Mar-12 11:55:07

Helen, you are aware some men are found guilty of rape and get suspended sentences, some child abusers are put away for less time than they actually abused their victims, that sentences are reduced by 50% for a guilty plea, giving a 50% reduction in time served, despite the victims have gone through years of abuse in some cases, followed by more years of living in fear and silence and then another year while the case gets to court.

You are aware that this reduction in sentencing leads to less time on the sex offenders register and that the victim can have every aspect of their lives disclosed to the defence, including medical, counselling and therapy records, while the victim doesnt even have the right to know where their attacker is living.

PattiMayor Mon 12-Mar-12 11:57:47

Please let's not make this thread all about 'Helen' as I'm sure that's exactly what they want.

jenny60 Mon 12-Mar-12 11:58:51

metoo sad

NarkedPuffin Mon 12-Mar-12 11:59:01

We believe you.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 12-Mar-12 12:00:01

Morning all. Just thought we'd make it clear that, while we're happy to see debate about our campaign - both positive and negative – we will delete posts that propagate the unpleasant rape myths we're specifically campaigning against.

NarkedPuffin Mon 12-Mar-12 12:01:40

MN believe you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now