PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

A Mumsnet Campaign on Rape and Sexual Violence

(128 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:15:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MonstrouslyNarkyPuffin Sat 22-Oct-11 15:20:11

Yes.

madmouse Sat 22-Oct-11 16:56:32

yes to comapaign and yes to title

madmouse Sat 22-Oct-11 16:56:59

campaign even blush

CatherineMacauley Sat 22-Oct-11 17:09:41

I think also that campaignig against rape myths is important; however, as a someone who has been raped, I can't help thinking that as a first objetive the "I believe you" approach is the best. I think it really need to be pushed and pushed as the best alternative to the "don't be a victim" type of rape prevention, which is highly and deeply upsetting to those who have suffered this type of crime. I also think that emphasis on the fact that rape is not a shameful thing to have happened to you, it is shameful for the rapist but not his victim. And that rape is somehow some special crime in which the perpetrator deserves more comprehension than his victim.

CatherineMacauley Sat 22-Oct-11 17:14:12

sorry sent my comment too soon without previewing it blush

What I wanted to say is that emphasis should be on pointing out that rape is a crime like anyother. Accused rapists require nor should need any other special consideration. Their victims should not feel shame.

EmilyMurphyLegallyAPerson Sat 22-Oct-11 17:16:22

Your first post made perfect sense. smile

Thank you for adding your support.

I'd be totally in support of this campaign.

forkful Sat 22-Oct-11 19:22:58

yy - I suggested it! and then left the thread so thanks for picking it up SGM.

I just think that there has been so many powerful accounts of rapes here sad and I think that MN has the power to get this into the media and I think it would have impact as I expect that people would be shocked that rape happens to "naice" MNers hmm.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 22-Oct-11 19:30:25

flippinada Sat 22-Oct-11 19:31:58

What a great idea, 100% behind it.

Wooooooooooooooppity Sat 22-Oct-11 20:29:58

Yes that's really important forkful. I remember someone once saying to me: "you don't seem like a rape victim".

I think that says it all really.

NotJustClassic Sat 22-Oct-11 21:27:55

I think "I believe you" is powerful and brilliant.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 22-Oct-11 22:04:35

butterflyexperience Sun 23-Oct-11 01:43:15

I'm in

I really hope this goes ahead and makes a bug impact

flippinada Sun 23-Oct-11 09:22:19

"I believe you"

Such a simple thing to say, and so powerful.

Its a good thing for all victims of abuse to hear. Just being believed can really make a difference.

windsorTides Sun 23-Oct-11 11:17:08

Yes please. IMO, both the 'I Believe You' and 'Countering Rape Myths' strands need to be pursued as part of one campaign because while the myths prevail, women still won't feel able to speak about their experiences and to give anyone the opportunity to believe them.

Saw the thread in Feminism about this, but disgustingly it seems to have been hijacked by an idiot troll. I'm not sure how Mumsnet campaigns work, but if there is going to be a thread asking for opinions on how the campaign might be tackled, think MNHQ are going to have to be very careful about monitoring contributions.

By its very nature, this subject is emotive and lots of women will be brave enough to share their experiences. We need to be especially careful that those experiences won't get trampled on by either the stupid, those intent on causing harm or by those who like to derail threads with pointless arguments.

lovecat Sun 23-Oct-11 18:36:52

Yes, yes, yes!

Thank you SGM, Forkful, Lenin and everyone else - MN, please can this be taken up?

"I believe you" - simple but brilliant.

AnyPhantomFucker Sun 23-Oct-11 20:03:05

Yes, I would add my support to this, absolutely

Putrifyno Sun 23-Oct-11 20:23:22

Count me in!

LewisFan Sun 23-Oct-11 20:45:24

me too - especially regarding marital rape

Yes please.

ThatsNotMyBabyBelly Sun 23-Oct-11 21:58:47

Hi there

SGM has asked me to post these links from another thread. They detail some of the largest studies undertaken on rape and sexual assault.

Home Office research

Australian Report

Yes please MN - this campaign is very much needed. Horrific to read some of the accounts of rapes on here. Equally, but differently, horrific to read some of the damaging and hurtful things that are said about (and to!) victims, on here and elsewhere.

I want my daughters to grow up in a world where rape myths don't abound and where, should they be raped, the default response is one of compassion, anger and absolute belief.

caramelwaffle Sun 23-Oct-11 22:53:33

Yes please.

AmorYCohetes Mon 24-Oct-11 01:13:17

Yep, this would be great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now