PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

A Mumsnet Campaign on Rape and Sexual Violence

(128 Posts)
StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:15:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

giyadas Fri 21-Oct-11 21:38:12

Am reposting the link to the Stop Rape list here as I think it sets the right tone.
I remember the I Believe You campaign being discussed a while ago. Wasn't a website set up?

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:48:51

Wooooooooooooooppity Fri 21-Oct-11 22:48:15
giyadas Fri 21-Oct-11 22:59:37

I think the small sexual assaults thread is relevant too.

KRITIQ Fri 21-Oct-11 23:42:55

Thumbs up from me, too. What happens now? (still pretty new to this.)

Selks Fri 21-Oct-11 23:50:12

Thumbs up here too.

ComradeJing Sat 22-Oct-11 02:22:06

Yes please MNHQ. So, so important.

CatherineMacauley Sat 22-Oct-11 03:27:35

I think this is a great idea. I love the "I believe you" slogan.

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Sat 22-Oct-11 09:16:25

Also love "I believe you". Am 100% behind this.

Again though, I haven't campaigned before? What do I need to do??

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 22-Oct-11 10:07:54

AlysWorld Sat 22-Oct-11 11:31:20

Yes please

All for this as a MN campaign. I am absolutely sick of seeing the perpetuation of rape myths here and elsewhere. Thank you SGM for raising this.

HeresTheScaryThingBooyhoo Sat 22-Oct-11 12:38:47

i'm 100% in support of this. i can't see any reason why MNHQ wouldn't be either.

LOLerskates Sat 22-Oct-11 12:57:41

Also agree. Like a lot of people, I didn't report my rape, just felt there was no chance of getting justice, and the trauma would've been too much. Also agree with being sick of all the 'don't get raped' advice. There needs to be much more education to boys.

NormaSatansFelcher Sat 22-Oct-11 13:31:11

Another yes here. Lucky to have never experienced this, but agree 100%

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 22-Oct-11 14:06:37

I'm behind this 110%

AlysWorld Sat 22-Oct-11 14:19:12

111%! [pokes tongue out at frothy]

Totally behind this. Love the "I believe you" slogan.

The rape myth buster will be more difficult I think to tackle as they are so ingrained in many people and more importantly the media. Tackling this has surely got to start at school? I also think it would be beneficial if we are to have a campaign to get RapeCrisis, Fawcett, Women's Aid and Object on board or in partnership. Can't get enough help with this tbh.

LaWeasel Sat 22-Oct-11 14:52:35

the government is still consulting on changes to PSHE until 30th November, you can submit answers to their questions here - it's interested in organisations views (I guess the MNHQ?) and individuals including parents and teachers etc, so no reason why we can't all fill it in.

There are 10 questions, you don't have to fill it all in. But question 6c) is "how do you think the statutory guidance on sexual relationships education could be simplified , especially in relation to teaching young people about sexual consent?"

So looks like a good opportunity, but we will probably need someone with more knowledge about how the current PSHE education on the topic is framed to write a proper answer.

margerykemp Sat 22-Oct-11 15:04:28

I think "I believe you" is a great slogan.

SardineQueen Sat 22-Oct-11 15:11:02

Yes please to doing something on this.

Also a big thumbs up for "I believe you".

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Sat 22-Oct-11 15:15:27

Yes to "I believe you", btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now