This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

GAP Boycott?

(48 Posts)
diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 06:41:20

GAP are running a promotional campaign called "Mondays are for Mums". I think this stinks and reinforces a very negative message about gender roles that no parent should wish to be associated with. What are dads supposed to make of "Mondays are for Mums"? I'm not sure how GAP could put it in clearer terms and I think it stinks. How about a consumer campaign in solidarity with dads and in solidarity with mums who want to be supported in the notion that it's okay for dad to do the shopping.

yellowsubmarine41 Mon 03-Oct-11 06:55:10

Wellllllllll, I think it depends on what the inference is that 'mums' do on Monday.

I suspect it isn't go to Iceland.

Tee2072 Mon 03-Oct-11 06:56:50

Um, that promotion ended last April. confused Unless I missed something somewhere...

diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 07:20:57

@Tee2072 - Yes, you missed something. The promotion is being run again in October 2011.

Succubi Mon 03-Oct-11 07:26:15

Count me in. Not a Gap fan anyway. Overpriced and generally bad quality. You wash their clothes a couple of times and they always lose their shape. Staff are generally not nice/helpful in my experience. H&M children's/baby clothes for me all the way.

Tee2072 Mon 03-Oct-11 07:29:35

Well, they aren't promoting it well, if a Google search only shows April!

Anyway, GAP is too expensive so I guess, by default, I already boycott them.

And do the vouchers say only mother's can use them?

diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 07:33:13

@yellowsubmarine41 - I don't think there's any inference about what mums should do on Mondays. GAP are running a sale every Monday this month and obviously wish to communicate this fact, but their manner of promoting it with the catchy title "Mondays are for Mums" stinks.

electra Mon 03-Oct-11 07:36:11

I agree - it does stink and actually doesn't make much sense. So with Johnny Boden saying women over a certain age look revolting if they don't wear frumpy clothes I'm not going to have anywhere left to buy my children's clothes at this rate!

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 07:37:34

Maybe dad does the shopping for the other 6 days of the week.......

GypsyMoth Mon 03-Oct-11 07:44:27

Maybe most of us just carry on anyway snd take zero notice!

What would a boycott achieve?another pointless 'campaign'

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 03-Oct-11 07:44:27

confused

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 03-Oct-11 07:46:24

Sorry TIFF, that was to the OP.

smile

diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 07:55:39

@LoveBeingAMummyAgain - Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, but it's bloody useful for mum and dad to have the flexibility to decide between themselves without some stupid retailer muddying the waters with careless gender stereotyping.

GAP are trying to peddle the message that they're 'pro-mum,' but their conception is anti-mum, unless you happen to be a mum who subscribes to the stereotype. This happens a lot and should be seen for what it is. It lets dads off the hook or discourages them and puts mums on the hook and undermines them.

RCToday Mon 03-Oct-11 08:05:56

Those pesky GAP people

Muddying the waters in marraiges up and down the country grin

ThePosieParker Mon 03-Oct-11 08:08:06

Eh? I'm not sure I get the campaign or the objection to it?confused

stripeybump Mon 03-Oct-11 08:11:59

Is the inference that the kids are back to school after a hectic weekend of having to feed and entertain them, so it's time for the (obviously SAH hmm ) mum to put her feet up / go shopping?

IMO tasteless and sexist but not enough to warrant an MN boycott.

LoveBeingAMummyAgain Mon 03-Oct-11 08:21:29

Oh I know dad just pays for it.

AnyoneButLulu Mon 03-Oct-11 08:21:57

Silly and annoying (as is GAP's entire "mark everything up by 45% then spam everyone with constant 30% off vouchers so you think you're getting a bargain" marketing philosophy) but a boycott? Really? I feel there are more important things to be concerned about.

diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 08:56:37

@LoveBeingAMummyAgain - This is a parenting site. I think it's important for parents to reject in the clearest possible terms messages that let fathers off the hook or undermine them as parents if they don't conform to a stereotype and puts mothers on the hook or undermine them as parents if they don't conform to a stereotype. Gender stereotypes matter unless you subscribe to them. They're a trap.

diotima Mon 03-Oct-11 08:58:09

Sorry, last posting intended for @AnyoneButLulu - copy and paste problem!

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 03-Oct-11 09:08:27

diotoma, please could you explain to me what it is about this marketing strategy that irks you so.

I'm unclear from your explanations.

Is it because Gap are offering special privileges on a Monday for mummies?

Surely, anyone with an ability to think critically will perceive this as some dumb construct thought out by utter wallies, who think that may boost their companies revenue on a tired day, and pay very little heed to it?

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 03-Oct-11 09:09:58

And, please, I would prefer it if you didn't "@" me.

smile

Tee2072 Mon 03-Oct-11 09:13:07

I really think you are giving GAP and a four word advertising campaign waaay too much power.

If you look for a reason to be offended, you will find it.

CauldronsTrulyReign Mon 03-Oct-11 09:24:14

::agrees with tee::

GypsyMoth Mon 03-Oct-11 09:25:04

Were you expecting us all to jump on your bandwagon op?

For this to make national news or something? ( MN is good at that)

It seems like you are clutching at straws and trying to make it a BIG deal, it's a non issue really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now