This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. Go here for other campaigns or petitions.

What are your hopes for your daughter?

(154 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 29-Mar-11 12:45:43

Last year, as part of our ongoing support for organisations working on maternal health in the developing world, CarrieMumsnet handed in a Mother's Day card to David Cameron and Nick Clegg, asking them to keep the issue high on the international development agenda. One year on, and there's good news: the number of women dying in childbirth worldwide is falling. But there's still a long way to go, and so this Mother's Day the White Ribbon Alliance is asking Mumsnetters to add their 'Dreams For My Daughter' to those already submitted by families worldwide.

The plan is to send some of these Dreams to Number Ten, to remind the government to keep up the pressure on world leaders to deliver the funding they promised at the UN in September. The goal is to provide 3.5 million extra health workers, which would help to prevent 1000 women a day from dying needlessly in childbirth - and the idea came from a Hadhya, a Yemeni WRA member, whose own mother's dream was that her daughter wouldn't be married at 11 and a mother at 13, as she had been.

If you'd like to help, do post your own Dream here; they can be as pragmatic and personal, or as global and wide-ranging as you'd like. And if your household is a boys-only one, don't be put off - you can post your dream for your son (or for a possible future DIL or granddaughter smile) here too.

Ooopsadaisy Tue 29-Mar-11 13:03:46

I want my DD to be happy and healthy and have choices to do things for what she feels is the moral good and greater good of society.

Nothing huge or aspirational.

And I want her to have been happy that she lived.

Bucharest Tue 29-Mar-11 13:11:01

This thread is so going to make me cry.

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
And may you stay forever young

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
And may you stay forever young

May your hands always be busy
May your feet always be swift
May you have a strong foundation
As the winds of changes shift
May your heart always be joyful
May your song always be sung
May you stay forever young

For all our daughters. Why reinvent the wheel when Bob already did it smile

DirtyMartini Tue 29-Mar-11 13:16:31

Hope that DD and DS both grow up with a strong sense of the importance of equality, respect and fairness in every way.

And that at least one of them delivers a snuggly grandchild before I pop my clogs grin

Greythorne Tue 29-Mar-11 13:18:11

Bucharest
That's fab
It's the song my Dad (currently in rude health) wants to have played at his funeral!

Bucharest Tue 29-Mar-11 13:21:27

Me too! (also in rude health, if a little creaky of a morning!)

nickschick Tue 29-Mar-11 13:25:44

I dont have any daughters but spend a lot of time with teenage girls and all I want for them is to have confidence,confidence to be themselves,confidence to like themselves,confidence to say yes and confidence to say no.

aStarWithHerOwnWays Tue 29-Mar-11 13:26:22

I'd like my daughter to live in a world without sexual violence.

My dream for her, and for DS, is that they can both live the life they choose and valued for the people they are. On a more personal note, I intend to do my best to help them grow up without the shadow of personal failure, depression and bad luck that has dogged my family for generations.

aStarWithHerOwnWays Tue 29-Mar-11 13:26:45

be valued for the people they are.

FourFortyFour Tue 29-Mar-11 13:28:31

I want my dd to be happy and healthy as she has had lots of problems in her short life.

I want her to have self worth and self confidence in abundance.

I want her to know who she is and be sure of herself.

hollyoaks Tue 29-Mar-11 13:33:38

For both my dds to find true happiness in their lives whatever that may be. I'd also like them to have the choice to take whichever path they see fit and the confidence and maturity to go for the one that was right at the time.

I also hope that they'll trust me and see me as one of their best friends who they can share and confide in and I hope they still want to snuggle when they're 30.

newpup Tue 29-Mar-11 13:34:32

I dream that my daughters will be healthy and happy and I dream that they will find as much joy in their lives as they have brought to mine.

SoupDragon Tue 29-Mar-11 13:34:52

For her to be happy, fulfilled and having reached her full potential.

If she can also manage to turn into a fairy and do real magic, we will both be satisfied.

houseworkwhore Tue 29-Mar-11 13:38:23

I want her to grow up happy, polite and honest. I also hope she takes the right paths in life and grows up knowing she can always rely on me no matter what

haudyerwheesht Tue 29-Mar-11 13:41:08

I have the same hopes for my daughter as I do for my son.

That they will be happy and healthy and free to choose their own paths in life. That they will be kind and considerate and surrounded by people who love and respect them.

Drizzela Tue 29-Mar-11 13:42:36

bucharest! What are you doing to me! My old mum wrote that to me in an autograph book I had when i was 9 and I found it a month or so ago..

They are exactly the wishes I have for my Daughter.

As well as: That she can be free from gender stereo typing and that she will never be beholden to anyone, financially or otherwise. Also, that she doesnt waste half her life worrying about being fat like her mother did.

I also wish she could grow up without having things like 'nuts' and 'zoo' being the accepted norm.

i think that's it.

I also hope she can be a good cook. so she can cook for her mother grin

deemented Tue 29-Mar-11 13:45:34

I dream that my daughter will know how important she is. That she knows she is worthy and good enough. That she grows up knowing that she can be and achieve anything. That she knows she is loved and wanted. That she knows that wherever her life takes her, she will always have a placed called home wherever i am.That she'll always have me to fight her corner if she needs it, and sometimes when she doesn't.

Most of all though, i hope she knows love and gives it too.

I hope that one day my daughter will learn to relax and have fun and accept that imperfect can be better than perfect (and usually is).

bebejones Tue 29-Mar-11 13:47:57

My dream for my daughter is that she is happy & healthy & fulfilled in every aspect of her life... and if she could also earn her fame & fortune & can keep me in the style to which I would like to be accustomed, that would be great too!

GooseyLoosey Tue 29-Mar-11 13:52:00

I would like my daughter to be whatever she wants to be. I would like her to live in a world which does not judge her choices whatever they are and which never tells her that she cannot do something because of who or what she is.

I would like the same for my son.

haudyerwheesht Tue 29-Mar-11 13:52:39

Oh and also that they are confident. Definitely. That they believe anything is possible and always keep an open mind.

solo Tue 29-Mar-11 13:53:55

Health, happiness and love in both Dd and Ds's lives.
To have a career that they love and that always leaves enough money to have a holiday each year and to desrve that holiday.
To have healthy, happy relationships and healthy, happy children and to always remember and visit their Mum...

MrsH75 Tue 29-Mar-11 13:56:08

Mainly that they are happy and healthy. And grow up to be kind, loving, generous, tolerant and thoughtful people.

OrangeBernard Tue 29-Mar-11 13:57:56

Be happy kind and confident and to live in world where she is not discriminated against.

Mamaz0n Tue 29-Mar-11 14:00:34

I hope that the mistakes i made will help steer her from similar, that she will have a freedom in her youth that i never had.
I hope she makes choices for her own happyness, not that of mine or anyone elses.
I hope that her life is long and healthy.
I hope she gets most of what she wishes for.
I hope that she understands that whilst she may make mistakes, her mother always has her best interests at heart.

I hope above all else, that she is happy in whatever life she chooses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now