PLEASE NOTE: This topic is for discussions about campaigns Mumsnet is running or may be planning to run. It's not the place for promoting other campaigns or petitions. If you do that here, we will either delete your thread or move it to a more appropriate place on our boards.

Let boys have clothes!!!!!!!!

(215 Posts)
slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 09:31:31

Okay ladies I have started a mumsnet campaign a lot of ladies complain about the inequality of children's clothes. You know the fact that you go in ASDA to see 10 lines of girls clothes one line of boys clothes. Because boys don't really need clothes.

I personally would also like to see some trousers other than jeans. Post your idea and complains ladies, and perhaps if we get enough support Mumsnet will help out.

NestaFiesta Thu 29-Jul-10 10:07:37

I agree! Its so unfair. I am sick of seeing DS1 in the same outfits as all his friends because that's all that's in the shops, whereas the girls always look different and never have the same outfit on as each other.

One of the worst offenders is Monsoon Kids. Why don't they just be hoenst and call it Monsoon Girls as that's all there seems to be in there apart from one range for boys.

Also- boys clothes don't have to be blue. Its high time we made our voice heard so I support this 100%!

Monsoon is the worst for this. The boys section may aswell not be there!

I went into ASDA a few months ago to buy some swimming trunks for DS. He had left his at my sisters house which is about a 3/4 of an hours drive away. No word of a lie there was a choice of 9 little swimming costumes and bikinis for girls and nothing for boys, zero. Zilch. Nada. I even asked just incase I was being ditzy and was staring right at them without seeing them IYGWIM. But no they didnt have any in stock. Was told to try a bigger ASDA store.

Wilts Thu 29-Jul-10 10:13:51

I don't want my boys in camouflage trousers/tops/shorts- it is grim.

I would like to see some colour in the boys section, not just blues and reds.

Hmm I will ponder over this some more at is also a bugbear of mine.

abirdinthehand Thu 29-Jul-10 10:16:00

I SO AGREE!! I have 2 boys, and it just moves straight from baby blue with tigger on it (yuk) to darker blue with 'Little monster' or similar on it (yuk yuk). And I know it's fashionable, but what's with the desire to splash a)TV characters or b)skull and crossbones designs all over boys clothes? When girls get funky retro flower prints?

Somone PLEASE have a word with the buyers at the main highstreet stores - we mums of boys have as much buying power as ther girls mums y'know...

Narketta Thu 29-Jul-10 10:19:34

I'm always disappointed when looking for clothes for DS. It seems unless you want to dress your boy in camouflage or skull and cross bone design there is absolutely no choice.

I never realised just how dire boys choice or should I say lack of choice was until I had DD when I shop for her I am literally spoilt for choice.

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 10:25:49

That is my big bugbear when I go shopping for clothes for both ds and dd I come out with loads for dd and 2 t-shirts for ds and he looks so dejected.

I'm in!! MPDbiscuit

PerpetuallyAnnoyedByHeadlice Thu 29-Jul-10 10:43:58

I agree its a bloomin pain shopping for DS, a tall 5yo - he still adores thomas but they only go up to a 4-5 which is too small

we detest ben 10,and skulls, and he's not into football, so there is very limited choice

its nearly as bad as shopping for my 10yo DD without buying mini-hooker clothes

haggisaggis Thu 29-Jul-10 10:44:45

See I disagree completely - but maybe it's because mine are older (dd 7 and ds 10)
Asda may have 2 rails of clothes for girls over age 5 and only one for boys - but the girls stuff for that age group is so trashy I ended up buying about only 2 t shirts there for dd. For ds on the other hand I bought about 12 t shirts nad several pairs of shorts. The T shirts were in a variety of colours (including bright plain ones) and the slogan ones were all relatively tasteful and again nice and bright. It's the same in other shops. I agree though that when they were under 5 the choice for girls was a lot better than for boys.

BirdyBedtime Thu 29-Jul-10 10:46:30

Totally agree with this - well done for starting a campaign. Having spent years trying to choose from the vast selection for DD (albeight that most of it is pink!) I am now facing difficulties buying from supermarkets or the high street for DS. I don't think he is a monster/monkey/horror etc and I really don't like the skull and crossbones thing (ASDA very guilty of this) or camouflage. Also agree on the colour issue - how about some nice bright oranges, greens etc rather than brown and navy. There is a lot more available online (mostly European brands) but these can often be much more expensive so out of reach for a lot of people. Vertabaudet is usually quite good but I notice that a lot of their tops are slogan-y (their theme seems to be aliens) this season too.

C'mon high street - people have been going on about this for years so surely someone must be listening ........ I guarantee that the store that introduces a range of nice bright clothes without horrible slogans/pictures etc will be onto a winner.

sockmonkey Thu 29-Jul-10 10:49:39

Oh yes!! you have my vote.
I have 2 boys 1 girl, and the difference in provission (sp?) is staggering.

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 10:53:17

haggisaggis My ds is 4 and dd is 1. But I hate going shopping for my sister age 9 when she is stood there asking for hot pants, which I downright refuse to buy for her, But I usually find some things for her even if I mix and match clothes put long sleeved t-shirt under add leggings to a short dress e.t.c. But of course that is when I am buying one or two things not a entire wardrobe.

But I thought the "let girls be girls campaign" was doing really well fighting this issue, so thought maybe we could fight the other issue too.

pirateparty Thu 29-Jul-10 10:54:59

100% agreement here. Have complained to Monsoon before about this - really one of the worst offenders. I really dislike all the camouflage, TV characters and skulls too.

Cicatrice Thu 29-Jul-10 10:55:27

me too.

and stop putting skcull and crossbones on stuff. He is not an outlaw, he is 3!

CornishKK Thu 29-Jul-10 11:00:58

I'm in too.

Little choice and all in blue, grey or brown - and always next to 14 aisles of pink shite for the girls grin

The camouflage stuff drives me insane, he's 1 year old why would I want to dress him up like a soldier?

DS is only 7 months but he is big (just going in to 12-18 month clothes). He is still a baby though and I think he is too young for jeans and t-shirts but probably a bit too old to be wearing sleepsuits all the time.

He's rolling/crawling around, so trousers and tops ride up all the time and look uncomfortable. I want dungarees (not necessarily denim) with vests underneath. Bright colours, soft but hard wearing fabrics and not loads of pictures of dogs/monsters etc.

IMoveTheStars Thu 29-Jul-10 11:08:03

Completely agree. I've noticed some places actually reducing their lines of boys clothes to make more room for the girls stuff hmm (sainsbury's, I'm talking about you!)

Just more colourful, interesting clothes please! They don't have to have picture of a monkey, or a tractor, or an effing dinosaur either.

tanmu82 Thu 29-Jul-10 11:09:22

my vote too - and I totally agree about Monsoon! The one near me doesn't do boys clothes at all, and the selection online is paltry. If I want anything that isn't covered in rubbish logos/skulls & crossbones/charaters then I have to shop online on pricey boutique sites.... Girls stuff isn't great (mostly trashy), but at least I can get the basics in pretty much every high street store out there. Oh, and the debenhams and M&S near me do very few boys clothes too. annoying because I always end up buying stuff for DD and DS gets left out or gets very little sad

5DollarShake Thu 29-Jul-10 11:12:07

I find H&M good for boys' clothes - not all blue and brown, lots of different colours, and a pretty good range. The quality isn't amazing, admittedly, but they grow out of things so quickly at this age anyway.

DD1 is due any day now, and while the selection might be much better for girls, so much of it is candy-floss pink!!!!

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 11:15:44

5Dollar I just went to Asda and got loads of red, blue, pink, purple and mint or lemon outfits for dd 12months try there.

domesticsluttery Thu 29-Jul-10 11:17:02

I'm with haggisaggis.

Again, my boys are older (6 and nearly 8) but I have no problem with buying boys clothes.

We don't really do slogans etc. They tend to wear plain t-shirts a lot of the time in bright colours, M&S are good for these. They've got a couple of check shirts each, I think they came from M&Co. They have Regatta fleeces in many, many colours and lots of pairs of basic jeans and long shorts, usually from Next. They also have a few polo shirts and rugby shirts from Joules etc.

Girls clothes shopping however I HATE. DD is 4 and everything is either cringeworthy eg "I'm Daddy's little princess" or like a minature WAG.

niminypiminy Thu 29-Jul-10 11:25:13

I'm in on this. No to camougflage, slogans, khaki, grey and blue -- what's there left? Have found John Lewis quite good for t shirts but the prices are high.

It's not that I want them to be little fashion models, I just don't want them to look like little soldiers, or to have to buy into the whole 'I'm a boy so I must like cars/dinosaurs/football (my boys interested in none of those)' thing, or awful slogans.

What happened to colour? Did someone abolish the rainbow while I wasn't looking?

Agree completely. Oooh, I do like skull and crossbones stuff though (old goth alert!)

WizardMum Thu 29-Jul-10 11:35:48

I actually quite like khaki/camo/skull and cross bones etc, so would not like to suggest they get rid of those items - but TOTALLY AGREE there should be more choice.

Surely this is a no-brainer for retailers?; they must know (or if not, can now see from this thread) that there is a clear gap in the market.

Maybe we should get Mary Portas on the case....

mrsflux Thu 29-Jul-10 11:42:48

oh i SO agree!
i do not want ds (15mo) to dress like a footballer yet that was almost all there was this summer.

dont get me started about how there is never anything for boys in the sales either - which sort of illustrates how little stuff there is to start with!

mrspear Thu 29-Jul-10 11:44:29

Please, please, please can we have more choice?!

I am so fed up already and my DS is in size 6 - 9 months.

More colour please!

I went into Jo Jo's in Kingston and 90% of the shop was for girls - it was maddness when you see the choice on the web.

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 12:26:17

I agree ds loves the dinosaur/monkey/monster tops, and I don't really mind the skull tops. So maybe we should canvass for more clothes and more choice not just boring colours and cargo trousers and jeans but a bit more variety?

majafa Thu 29-Jul-10 12:32:14

Yep Im with you,
neither of my 2 are into sport, I personally am not into skulls etc so would not buy that sort of stuff.
I know what I like, and belive me if I had the money and marketing/retail experiance etc etc which I assume you need, I would love to open a chain of stores just for boys

TurtleAnn Thu 29-Jul-10 12:37:41

animal pictures, dinosaur pictures, pictures of the inner workings of car engines (cogs and gears), pictures of clocks, musical instruments, sports like tennis, baseball (more than just footie), paintbrushes and colour pots (inspire my boy rather than pigeon hole him)

Not denim, camoflage, skulls, daggers or anything else that wouldn't appear on CBeebies.

makeupmummy Thu 29-Jul-10 12:44:26

I agree! Have only this week been searching for clothes for my v big two year old. Noticed that the choice for toddler boys is even less than for baby boys and bigger ones. Did get some in H&M, agree about them, and also tk maxx. Have also got some good stuff Zara before, thou not nearly so much as for dd. I also LOATHE those slogan T shirts, and the cutesy puppy baby blue type things. Am ashamed to say that relented in tesco tho when ds pleaded for quite hideous fire engine topblush But he shouldn't have access to such monstrosities in normal stores. And I was desperate for something in which to clothe him; chilly up in these parts. O, I also have a rule that he and dd can wear awful lurid TV/film type things only as jammies or underwear: hate all those too. Good call for campaign, I say,

SnowieBear Thu 29-Jul-10 12:46:38

Couldn't agree more, you have my full support!

I find myself "hunting" for the right clothes and buying a t-shirt from here, and a pair of trousers from there for my DS... it's a real operation to get him sufficient clothes that are suitable. More choice, please!

Mind you, very glad I don't have to shop for a DD at present - the sea of pink just makes me dizzy.

OrmRenewed Thu 29-Jul-10 12:47:07

Mostly DS#2 would prefer not to bother thanks, and as I posted yesterday DS'2 quite likes womens' clothes grin

I find boys clothes much easier to find than girls - well now they are older that is. I did find it hard when DS#1 reached 2 not to be able to buy colours other than navy, khaki, brown and Caterpilla orange.

oneortwo Thu 29-Jul-10 12:49:09

I don't find clothes a problem for DS, but SHOES! everywhere seems to have a rectangular children's shoe section where 3 sides of the rectangle are girls and one (narrow one) is boys. Sometimes there isn't even anything in his size yet there is the choice of 3 or 4 pink bow types ones in his size on the other sides.

LadyBiscuit Thu 29-Jul-10 12:49:38

Also, when you do find something nice, the chances of there being any stock in an age 2-4 is slim to none. I virtually stand outside M&S/JL at the beginning of the season, waiting to race in and get the only decent clothes they make for boys that will fit. Do they order about 100 for the UK or something?

Timbachick Thu 29-Jul-10 12:51:01

I'm in too.
I absolutely hate the mini-football kits and don't want to see DS in them (he hates football so we're on the same hymn-sheet there).
I also don't want to see him in shades of blue or camoflague ... all the time hmm
Places like ASDA et al are awful - as they are full to the rafters with girls stuff but very little for boys. Even H&M, GAP and the like are quite biased - the girls stuff is lovely and colourful whilst the boys have blue, grey and marroon!!! I hate marroon angry
I tend to find the lines such as Hilfiger, Diesel, Polo, Timberland, a bit more varied and try to buy there in the sales in an effort to get a bit of variety in colour, style and from him wearing the same as EVERYONE else - however, the price prohibits buying at normal prices, most of the time.

DomesticGoddessInTraining Thu 29-Jul-10 12:54:33

Another who loathes slogans!

I get really annoyed with stores who stock so much more girls clothes than boys clothes. They can still sell camo/skulls/slogans etc just increase their stock to give more choice, more bright colours and slogan free tops!

RuthieCohen Thu 29-Jul-10 12:55:25

You can have my support, ranges for boys are unpleasant.

And while we're at it, now that so many babies are in cloth nappies, how about retailers and designers start making trousers that fit over big cloth bums? I

LifeOfKate Thu 29-Jul-10 12:55:42

I'm in. DS is 7 months old and whilst baby stuff is not too bad (I have ended up buying a lot of unisex stuff just to get away from baby blue), I can see myself having trouble next year.

Wrt girls clothes though, the past season hasn't been too bad, whenever I've been in tesco/asda recently, the girls section is less pink and there are a lot of lovely oranges/reds/dark purples/browns/greens there.

I do get frustrated by a lack of 'basic' clothes for kids. Why does everything have to have pictures/tags/random buttons/slogans etc etc on? Do the manufacturers not think people would buy plain clothes in bright colours? Because I most definitely would!!

omnishambles Thu 29-Jul-10 13:00:35

<whispers> I find the boys clothes easier to buy than the girls and why do we want them to care about clothes so much - isnt it enough that we girls are obsessed without having to turn our little boys into rampant consumers of clothes as well?

I really dont want my little boy to be obsessed with how he looks - he can put on whatever is nearest and cleanest and be off outside into the mud...

Nelvana Thu 29-Jul-10 13:02:48

I'd join in! I like clothes shopping and would love to have an easier time finding non-skulls, non-sports stuff for DS. It is driving me nuts. (I didn't even realize Monsoon had boy's clothes! Always just passed them by… )

It is sad is that the boys stuff is often so dark and dreary -- as someone said above, light blue gives way to navy. And brown, black with skulls, etc for everything from socks to shoes to outerwear.

Was looking for a non-navy swimsuit for DS for ages, who wants to wear a dark coloured UV suit on an hot and sunny day?? I had to look in several shops before getting a garish aqua blue one at M&S.

Not jealous of the girls' ones mind you as they were generally hideous shades of dayglo pink. At least girls can get away with wearing a lot of boy's stuff though, not so easy the other way around.

fluffyanimal Thu 29-Jul-10 13:05:47

I'll join the campaign too! This has been driving me mad for a while.

SunshineOnLee Thu 29-Jul-10 13:09:01

Yes I'm in - there just isn't the choice for boys, DS1 (8) has such a limited wardrobe and whilst DS2 (7 months) is OK because he has all the hand me downs there really is so little out there.

For little boys - no slogans, camouflage,skulls, football, baby blue, TV characters and yes to more colours (I like red) and more dungarees - they don't have waists so why so many trousers?

Older boys - more tolerant of camouflage (hides the dirt and DS1 likes it) but no skulls and slogans please and just more choice.

We like pumpkin patch - good range of colours and styles.

What about shoes, last time we went to Clarks all there was for DS1 were school shoes or shiny, football style trainers, no casual shoes or ordinary trainers at all.

Hi LifeOfKate <waves> come and see us on the postnatal thread

domesticsluttery Thu 29-Jul-10 13:09:17

Totally agree with you omnishambles.

The boys don't really care what they wear, they just want it to serve a purpose. DS1 has colours which he prefers (he really likes green, which isn't the easiest colour to get hold of) but DS2 honestly doesn't care.

EightiesChick Thu 29-Jul-10 13:10:42

I'm in. The slogans about little monsters, monkeys etc are all awful. Camouflage and football cliched. Plus purple has now been annexed by girls' clothing! DS looks good in maroon (has a nice Gap t-shirt that I have bought in the next size up too) and I would like to buy more purple stuff as a change from blue, but apparently purple is now the alternative/accent colour for girls to go alongside pink, so boys' clothes can't be purple.
I like Gap best, but it is expensive...fortunately they have a sale every 3 days, like Debenhams. But the choice at Asda etc is poor.

BertieBotts Thu 29-Jul-10 13:12:44

Funny though how the shops which did have lovely bright simple clothes for boys (Adams and Mini Mode - sold in Boots) have closed down

H&M are quite good, I think? I've got loads of clothes for DS there and not one of them is maroon, grey or brown!

aarghhelp Thu 29-Jul-10 13:14:41

I buy from boden and Frugi and Joules and John Lewis and Marks( all in the sales).

My son aged 2 has a huge selection of varied clothes in different colours. Blue, red, orange, purple, green etc.

When he was a baby I bought big bundles of barely worn designer clothes off Ebay for pence. It was quick and easy for me as I was working till a late stage of pregnancy and wasn't sure how much to buy, so I just bought lots, very very cheaply.

I resisted skulls and cross bones at first, but he likes pirates now, so he can have them in a pirate context.

I have not found lack of choice to be a particular problem.

DomesticGoddessInTraining Thu 29-Jul-10 13:18:23

Mini mode has a big sale on in Boots stores just now to clear all the stock. I understand from my sis who works in Boots that there will be a replacement range in the future...

BornToFolk Thu 29-Jul-10 13:20:28

I don't get it.

DS is 2.9. I've never had much trouble buying him clothes. I don't like all the little monkey type slogans either, so I don't buy them. I'm not that keen on characters either (though DS does a few Thomas/Mr Men things) so...I don't buy them.

I don't spend a lot of money either. I usually get clothes in Tesco/M&S/H&M and the Gap sale.

DS has got a t-shirts in a range of colours including orange, yellow and purple that all came from the high street or supermarkets.

Maybe I'm just not fussy enough about clothes for DS but as long as he's dressed appropriately for the weather, I'm not that bothered, and neither is he.

EightiesChick Thu 29-Jul-10 13:24:05

Omnishambles I agree I don't want my DS to be clothes conscious - but I do think by the same token it is nice for me and my DH to be able to choose nice things for him.

I wouldn't want a daughter to be clothes-obsessed either, but I would like there to be decent choice for her. While I agree with someone's comment earlier about the sea of cheap and nasty pink stuff for girls, you can generally find more other stuff too.

I have lots of 'bee' themed things for my DS - the name plate on his room and so on. Saw a lovely black and yellow stripy top in Debenhams last year with 'Bumble bee' on it - then it turned out it was a girls' top. Matching jeans with a bee stitched on, also for girls. Why is yellow a girls' colour and a bee a girly creature? That's the sort of thing that annoys me. Meanwhile the boy t-shirts have dogs or dinosaurs on AGAIN.

GoldenGreen Thu 29-Jul-10 13:27:50

same here aarghhelp - I have a four year old ds and never had a problem - Boden sales are particularly good!. H&M also good, and cheap. He has never worn camouflage, slogan t-shirts, skulls, and has very little in blue.

I really don't see this as a campaign issue. It's not like any of our children are going unclothed (unless by choice!). I wouldn't want to devalue Let Girls be Girls, tbh.

BertieBotts Thu 29-Jul-10 13:28:22

EightiesChick I would have bought the jeans and top anyway!

moonbells Thu 29-Jul-10 13:29:45

if you want toddler T-shirts which are plain coloured, then go to an online T-shirt specialist and you often find there's whole rainbows of options, and cheap too.

Here's one I just turned up randomly on Google by searching for Fruit of the Loom:
http://www.buytshirtsonline.co.uk/fruit-of-the-loom-childrens-valueweight-tshirt-p-571.html
(No idea how these folk are, I'm just quoting it as an example, since the T's are less than 2 pounds and have a range of 17 colours. And if they try and add VAT, children's clothes are exempt so argue!)

Now trousers, I'm with the poster who said they'd like some which aren't jeans. My DS is quite hard on trousers (he's a climber!) and yes, jeans are ok, but I would like to have some alternatives which don't cost a bomb. The last pair of jeans were £7 and the last pair of non-jeans were £22. Nuff said.

chickiolina Thu 29-Jul-10 13:31:04

I AM IN! Having two Ds's, I find it bloody infuriating that shops have aisles and aisles of girls stuff but hardly anything for boys! Cannot fathom it. Has there been an explosion in girl babies that I have not heard about? Is the balance of children in this country really 90% girls and 10% boys? The shops seem to think so! Argh is makes me so mad! And then when I do find something halfway decent, I can't find it in their size because the other 100 mothers of boys have already been in and bought out all of the stock! SORT IT OUT!

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 13:35:04

Next, eeeewwww shudder
Asda Why people why would you put your dcs in this shit?
Gap although it's very boring and hasn't changed in years
John Lewis Fabulous, good value and no character rubbish.
Boden WE've had it in this house for years, wears well, lasts, passes down very well and colours have not yet dated.
Tesco and Sainsbury's (see Asda review)
Stones and Bones, quite nice pieces but pricey
Diesel (same as above)
Phister and Philina Amazing but not a wide enough range

And my favourite for boys, although still not quite the range is this brilliant colours click around the site

BertieBotts Thu 29-Jul-10 13:38:58

hmm Not everything at supermarkets is chavs-r-us you know. Some of their stuff is okay.

I like how all of your "okay" clothes are the ridiculously expensive brands hmm

I mean Jesus, who's going to spend £20 on a top which will be outgrown in a year?? confused

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 13:43:12

"I really don't see this as a campaign issue. It's not like any of our children are going unclothed (unless by choice!). I wouldn't want to devalue Let Girls be Girls, tbh."

I don't think it will devalue the let girls be girls, you have done the petition for that and had many retailers sign up, I would not want to jeopardize it as I also have a girl, plus they are talking about using the campaign themselves to move on to something else.

Also if boys were to have equal choice in clothes would it not make the difference between the sexes more balanced meaning girls will be given slightly less chance to be so focused on clothes.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 13:45:56

£20?

To be honest I buy very little but it's all nice stuff, I don't think I've ever seen anything in a supermarket that I would put any of my children in. JL tees are £12.50

EightiesChick Thu 29-Jul-10 13:47:29

BertieBotts I did! But then my DH got cold feet about our DS wearing them so they are still on the shelf...

EddieIzzardismyhero Thu 29-Jul-10 14:04:16

posie, £12.50 is bloody expensive for a boy's t-shirt IMO.

You can clearly afford expensive brands which many people can't.

I use ebay and buy a lot of second hand stuff which is great.

I have also found that M&S do a lovely range of brightly coloured, fun boys' clothes which are not too pricey.

Never understood the fuss about lovely girls' clothes tbh - all I see is aisles of pink, not a great choice at all!

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 14:06:27

Besides which I think constantly being branded naughty,trouble or a monster can be harmful to a child in a self fulfilling prophecy kind of way.

Yes not all clothes do this, but not all clothes were sexualising young girls (a campaign I supported) so I do think a campaign is needed.

southeastastra Thu 29-Jul-10 14:09:52

i don't find it too hard personally, sports shops have plain shirts.

aarghhelp Thu 29-Jul-10 14:11:47

But I pay oh around £3 for John Lewis Ts in clearance. I paid £5.50 for the last Boden T for DS. Some things mre admittedly. Less inclined to buy 2nd hand for an older age ggroup in which thins are more likely to get worn out.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 15:21:04

Oh, bollockssad I have clearly made myself look like I have money or some sort of expensive life, I don't!! This year we are flat broke and most of my dcs clothes come from my mum and dad. I do go in TKMaxx too!!

I would honestly rather have 5 nice tees than 10 cheap ones.

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 15:35:45

Don't take it to heart PosieParker The problem I have is DS is funny sizes really tall and skinny so we have to try clothes on him (so no internet sadly) and our nearest M&S, John Lewis, Debenhams, Gap or Boden are over a hour drive away. I don't drive so it would take about 1hr 30minutes and £15 train fare even if I did have the money to shop there, making any sale useless. We live in a rural area.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 15:37:49

Hey slushy..JL has an amazing sale at Xmas and last year it was with free returns. The sale starts at midnight Christmas eve...

GoldenGreen Thu 29-Jul-10 15:43:36

I do agree with you about the slogans, slushy - they really are awful - can't believe there is such a big market for them. Thankfully I am seeing fewer in the shops just recently though.

inthesticks Thu 29-Jul-10 15:49:36

This gets worse as they get older. I have Dss of 12 and 14. Both tall for their age.

It seems boys clothes sizes go up to 13 in most stores. There is no in between equivalent of the girls young teen ranges.

I have found that by age 11 they were in the largest size of "children's" clothing. DS1 is now in men size 30" but DS2 is in between.
Most kids clothes are too small and mens sizes are too large.

So not only is there little choice of style or colour but they don't fit tall 12 year olds.

I live in the sticks and have access to a limited number of chain stores. Online shopping for clothes is too much trouble when it comes to returns.

I have recently discovered that H&M do a reasonable range up to age 14 (not that they would fit my 14 year old but they do fit the 12 year old)

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 15:56:41

PosieParker every year I plan to go to the city (which costs £15) Boxing day and every year MIL demands we go to hers for dinner even though I always offer her to come to ours for Christmas, but she chooses to work Christmas day (triple time), so plays the martyr act angry.

If I go down the day after Boxing day there are not enough bargains to make back my train fare, I am determined to get there this year though.

becaroo Thu 29-Jul-10 15:58:25

I agree it is a nighmare. If your ds doesnt like;
skulls/pirates
ben 10
simpsons
star wars
transformers
or
iron man
...then you are stuffed!!!

My ds1 isnt into any of the above and getting plain (ish) tops/shirts and plain jeans (no stupid print or applique on them) is really hard.

Tesco do some nice plain t shirt sets and long sleeved tops sets but I tend to have to buy NEXT stuff as its one of the few places I can get plain (ish) tops and jeans.

And dont get me started on PJs!!!!! arrgh!

becaroo Thu 29-Jul-10 16:01:11

I LOVE JL but cant afford to shop there sad

becaroo Thu 29-Jul-10 16:02:53

...I also mainly shop at NEXT in the sale - I got some great tank top sets for £4 instead of £9. I think NEXT and Tesco stuff washes really well. Not keen on Asda stuff, it doesnt seem to last.

Joining this having started many threads complaining about the 'choice' for boys, including one particular time when it seemed that little boys did not get wet in the rain (hundreds of girls' raincoats in every shop I went in, but none for boys).

I would like to see loads of nice bright colours with unfussy pictures - a well drawn dinosaur or animal gets my vote. Although anything Toy Story gets DS's vote

I also want trousers other than tracksuit bottoms or jeans PLEASE

omnishambles Thu 29-Jul-10 16:12:22

but Stealth - you can get navy blue cagoules in lots of places for boys. ds has got a good cost from M&S that he has for a couple of years and JL do them too.

It isnt a big conspiracy - its just the same as the menswear issue tbh. They make less clothes for boys/men because men generally are less gullible and spend less on clothes. They are also less fashion conscious - although this is changing with the rise in body fascism for men and the creation of new products - see the whole new mens cosmetics industry.

i have some now but at the time I was looking in asda/sains/tesco. our local M&S doesnt do childrens clothes.
In each of those stores there was a choice of girls raincoats, involving lots of pink, but nothing for boys

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 16:32:18

Don't you think part of the blame for this clothing desert for boys is the supermarket? Trying to cater for everyone as cheap as possible, so flooding the market with stereotypical and generally hideous stuff?

I always think about such brands Made for children, by children.

But most of the more expensive brands are made for children, by children, too. You have to be very very very careful if you want to avoid sweatshop labour, and even something that's OK one year may not be the next.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 16:42:04

I trust JL. [please don't inform me if I'm wrong!!]

I don't really have a problem. DS is 5.5 and while I agree that much of the stuff out there is horrid I manage to clothe him quite happily by picking and choosing from a mixture of high street shops and supermarkets so that he's not forced to dress himself entirely in Ben 10 (much as he would probably love that).

Flighttattendant Thu 29-Jul-10 16:45:10

I know what OP is saying - there is a sad lack of imagination in many shops re boys' stuff.

However we manage fine. I buy stuff from Asda, selectively though, or you can inadvertently end up with a small 'yoof' grin I don't know how it happens but it is insidious.

BHS is alright sometimes, H&M,

Mainly I detest the 'baby blue' stuff for little ones which is frankly hideous. Especially if it has Tigger on it.

Flighttattendant Thu 29-Jul-10 16:46:14

Btw the things I really would like to see more of are plain, or stripy clothes in strong colours and sensible fabric.

Really basic stuff.

I suppose a bit Boden style, but Boden is far too ££.

Flighttattendant Thu 29-Jul-10 16:47:18

And nice, thick, comfy jogging trousers - they are all that fitted ds1, especially when he was in proper nappies!

But they are really great for little boys - I detest putting mine in denim as it doesn't stretch.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 16:47:26

Nice colours that are not mini adult styles would be great!!

Link for everyone except PosieParker grin

(actually, not doing too badly, but ten leading retailers including Gap, Tesco, Sainsbury's and Primark are doing better)

I 'source' most of my kids clothes at car boot sales and therefore end up with mostly Next, M7S and H&M clothes as they tend to last longer than the supermarket brands. I have trouble avoidingCamo/ skulls as they are ubiquitous but manage to get some really great tee's (Dr Who and super hero's go down partticularly well) and jeans and shorts are easy to find so I don't generally have a problem clothing ds (nearly 6).

I would like a ban on military themed clothes for children and no more sodding skulls but I do like all the pockets you find in a pair of combat trousers (always interesting seeing what 'treasures' ds keeps in them). I find boys clothes are much better for playing in than girls and trying to find practical clothing for a toddler girl is difficult if I restrict myself to buying girls clothes. The more unisex a range looks the better in my opinion. I like bright primary colours and patterns on children there is no reason that all childrens clothing to be gendered anyway iyswim?

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 16:55:17

[sticks fingers in ears and blindfolded] la la la la la la la .

I did read it, oh poo.

Lionstar Thu 29-Jul-10 16:56:08

Don't know if anyone else has pointed this out, but the thing that most gets me is the stupid 'fashion' designs of boys trousers, especially jeans. So they have buckles and buttons and darts and seams and loops and stitching etc all over the place. They look so uncomfortable, especially when the material is already stiff, as most denim is. All I want is a nice pair of plain trousers/jeans, preferably unisex (am actually buying for tomboy DD), in soft material and with an adjustable waistband. I don't think there is such a thing though sad

Makes me even madder when such embellishments are on baby clothing - babies don't even need pockets, let alone trendy 'rips' and uncomfortable buttons and buckles to sit on angry

bleedingheart Thu 29-Jul-10 16:59:32

Oh I'm totally in on this. I get so fed up of the 'I'm a little monster/monkey/ my dad is...etc' slogan stuff. Trousers are so hard to find and shirts without crappy logos.

HinnyPet Thu 29-Jul-10 17:00:41

So is this a proper campaign like let girls be girls? Do we get the official backing of Mumsnet Towers?
I'm in.

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 17:07:01

Not yet HinnyPet the other campaign was started by mumsnet but we will have to get enough support before mumsnet will help I think that is how it works anyway. if I am wrong happy to be corrected.

mistlethrush Thu 29-Jul-10 17:11:07

I'm in - I like ds wearing red, orange, green - not navy, grey and black - and not lots of slogans or skulls and crossbones (he's 5).

omnishambles said "but Stealth - you can get navy blue cagoules in lots of places for boys. ds has got a good cost from M&S that he has for a couple of years and JL do them too."

That's just the point. I managed to find a wonderful yellow cagoule (oneof the over-the-head variety) which ds has been wearing since he was 2.5. OK, it was too big for him then.... and he can only just get his shoulders in and out of it now... but its SOOOO MUCH NICER than a navy blue one... Its more practical too - because you can see where he is more easily. Navy blue is dull. As are nearly all the winter coats you can get for boys. He had a lovely green pumkin patch coat when he was 4 - but they stop making the 'nice' coloured ones and go in for - you've guessed it - navy blue, grey and black - brown if you're lucky.

Boys' clothes need not be so boring! Give us more colour options!

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 17:17:23

My dcs have Norwegian rain wear.

In fact just take a look at any Scandinavian children's wear for great ideas.

AandO Thu 29-Jul-10 17:22:34

I find that Zara do nice boys clothes. Lovely shirts and trousers. It would be nice to have more options though. Ds is in too small pjs at the mo because I can only find cartoon character pjs in the shops, I don't want to dress him in tv characters, even for bed and Zara don't do pajamas.

AandO Thu 29-Jul-10 17:25:15

Ds mostly wears cords and stripy jumpers in the winter and plain shorts and a plain t-shirt in the summer. Getting a bit sick of stripy tops all the while, but they are better than the slogans and images on all the boys tops.

Also - all ds clothes seem to be brown or blue!

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 29-Jul-10 17:27:32

Message withdrawn

AandO Thu 29-Jul-10 17:30:20

Yes - Next and H&M do colourful stuff. They often are stripy though, and the H&M stuff is of pretty bad quality and a bit brash sometimes, but at least they do lots of colours. Next is great though, very hardwearing.

toccatanfudge Thu 29-Jul-10 17:32:08

my boys are 9,6 and 3 - not had a problem buying clothes - and I@m on a limited budget so can't even think about going into shops like Monsoon.

omnishambles Thu 29-Jul-10 17:34:33

but why is it so much nicer to have a bright yellow one? its just a coat - it keeps the rain off. You mean maybe it says something to you and your identity?

Am not trying to be arsey but dcs arent dolls or clothes horses are they...

Does it really matter what they're wearing as long as its functional and hard wearing?

CerealOffender Thu 29-Jul-10 17:36:53

i agree with omni, and most boys don't give a shite about wearing brightly coloured breton stylee tops. get a grip

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 17:41:38

Omnishambles my main argument is I hate jeans and combat trousers because ds is so skinny and tall in order to fit his height they flog his waist and fall down sad.

I find trackie bottoms very hard to find other than sport shops and they are expensive so he does not get many. Plus I feel guilty dd always looks nice and has loads of clothes but ds looks boring and scruffy a lot, because trousers that fit him are so hard to come by, the other mum's boys who can afford JL look nice and I want my ds to look nice to what is so wrong with that.

abirdinthehand Thu 29-Jul-10 17:50:40

Ahem a little plug here for a brand I remembered while I was cooking the tea, that DOES have some nice simple plain boy's clothes - they are organic/ fair trade but HONESTLY are worth checking out as they don't carry the hefty price tag I usually associate with those tags - especially as they've got a sale at the mo. I've ordered from them a few times and really liked the quality / value ratio -

www.bishopstontrading.co.uk/shop/products.php?category_id=13

Scroll down past the lentil weaver trousers etc and they have some nice plain tees.

I am not a zone for camoflage or skulls either and I am not overly keen on slogans. Both DS1 and DS2 have some with slogans and/or pictures on.
However (I discovered today) DS1 (12 today) is now in mens clothes 30" waist 29" leg, and small mens t-shirts/shirts.
DS2 (2) is in 4-5yrs clothes.

Either wouldn't be a problem if 1- mens clothes didn't often display crude text on the front - saw one today which said "I'm with dickhead" 2- boys clothes in high street stores clothes were available in bigger sizes.
I don't want DS1 in tops displaying text of a crude manner or sports as he is not interested in sport at all.

I don't want DS2 in skulls, slogans etc

what is up with UK sizes???

in asda he can get away with 2-3
primark 4-5
next 4-5
peacocks 3-4
gap well thats a joke he has a pair of shorts from there 12-18m and a hoody which is 4-5 and both fit him perfectly.

I love them both in bright colours as they suit them

slushy Thu 29-Jul-10 18:08:34

"i agree with omni, and most boys don't give a shite about wearing brightly coloured breton stylee tops. get a grip"

I disagree boys don't care as much as girls when they are young but give a child a choice between a navy blue or grey t-shirt and a red one and I know what my ds would choose.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 18:10:21

Ahem, this is the first year that I have not stocked up on fake very cheap clothes from China, during my annual trip. I normally pay less than £2 per tee, the plane fare is quite expensive though!!

abirdinthehand Thu 29-Jul-10 18:49:28

hmm posieparker, how nice you can afford to shop ethically. For some of us it's a struggle.

trixie123 Thu 29-Jul-10 18:50:00

Can I suggest Matalan? I got some really nice outfits there inc. some dungarees in cream/green/red kind of pattern. Generally there is less choice than for girls but actually my DS has lots of ts shirts in orange, turquoise, yellow etc (and none with pirates or monster theme) mostly dinosaurs, stripes or tractors.

Also, Monsoon?? Really? Are they not heinously expensive for clothes that get covered in orange food?

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 19:07:07

Did you read the article bird? Apparently I don'tblush teach me for being so smug. And I buy from china, in China....not really sure the Chinese give a shit about human rights type PR in their local market!

And I can't afford shit all, I just don't buy very much but what I buy washes very well three times a week.

PosieParker Thu 29-Jul-10 19:08:03

And abirdinthehand Bishopston trading is 500 yards from my front door.

ChateauRouge Thu 29-Jul-10 19:31:20

JL clothes are great- nice colours, v few with pictures, no slogans, and t-shirts (short and long sleeved) are 3 for £12.

I have found Sainsbury quite good too- plenty of plain brights, bottom half are a little more difficult, though plenty of joggers/shorts.

BustleInYourHedgerow Thu 29-Jul-10 19:39:50

I second H&M. Really nice t-shirts and the like. Mothercare's not too bad either. Also DS's great-great aunt sends some really nice stuff from America, the brand is Carter, don't know if you can get it over here though?

SalFresco Thu 29-Jul-10 20:23:01

H&M is the best for boys.

I posted on another thread about this, but I always get stroppy in shops about the lack of boys clothes and in particular accesories like swimsuits, sunglasses and hats - SO much more choice for girls.

The best, or worse, response I got was that there was "less demand" for boys clothes - this was while I and my mum were right there demanding!!

I haven't read this whole thread, but in ref to a comment above, DS1 has been interested in his clothes since about 2, and does care what he wears, granted he would most like to wear a three piece pinstriped suit, but there you go!

abirdinthehand Thu 29-Jul-10 20:36:49

I just skim-read the article, didn't have time earlier - tea time!

Effics are so complex - am currently in a dilema re my Shiny New Bicycle which will make me Thin and Happy (don't pop my optimistic bubble) -

I can afford a really nice made-in-Uk or made-in-holland bike, which will last forever and which will (hopefully) be made by people with a decent wage. BUT... then I will have to buy cheapo chaepo stuff for 6 months, like sweatshop kids clothes and un-fair-trade bananas.

OR

I can buy an OK perfectly good bike made in Taiwan or China where, chances are, the workers will have been paid 50 p a week or something. And bike won't last as long in the long run so less good for the environment. But I can carry on buying my fairtrade bananas etc etc.

At the moment I have everything crossed that ok bike will turn up on ebay - problem solved. But I tie myself up in dilemas like this!!

abirdinthehand Thu 29-Jul-10 20:37:32

Sorry, I've also just realised that has nothing to do with boys clothes!!

Ineedmorechocolatenow Thu 29-Jul-10 20:46:25

I'm in... drives me nuts....

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Jul-10 21:06:09

I'm in too. Clothes are hard enough to get hold of, but accessories - almost impossible.

shellio Thu 29-Jul-10 23:10:21

Im in slushy. Glad i started thread over in AIBU cant believe the response! Ok shops its time to take action!

Ragwort Thu 29-Jul-10 23:13:50

Am I missing something - never have trouble getting clothes for my DS - mostly from charity shops or hand-me-downs grin - I very, very rarely buy new stuff (by choice - too mean) - but there seems plenty out there, noticed some lovely things in John Lewis today.

I think there are too many slogans on t-shirts. I picked a lovely orange t-shirt up last week in (and yes i know it's not a great shop) Primarni (primark to you)only to look at the front and see
"Gone to the naughty step back in 5 minutes" on it.

I want a nice plain or striped set of t-shirts.

And last weekend I picked up a top in a market on a stall where I used to buy DS1's clothes always good quality and lasted, it looked like a boys top. I was about to buy it when I noticed writing on the back, turned it over and it said.....

"Smoking keeps me slim and beautiful"

I chucked it at the stall holder and said "I don't think i will buy that thanks. You need to look at what you are selling"

He looked genuinely shocked and removed all the said tops from the rail.

aarghhelp Fri 30-Jul-10 08:46:25
makeupmummy Fri 30-Jul-10 09:23:44

aarghhelp - ordered some of those t shirts - colours v lurid in the flesh
Birdinthehand -those polo shirts v nice, will bear in mind in future, may be indication of the problem that most sizes sold out!

slushy Fri 30-Jul-10 10:22:38

aarghhelp I will order some of those any one got any idea where to order some cheap tracksuit bottoms?

abirdinthehand Fri 30-Jul-10 10:34:27

makeupmummy you would like the colours of the bishopston trading ones I think, they are quite muted - because they use natural dyes I guess. DS has a lovely moss green one.

xkaylax Fri 30-Jul-10 10:35:24

Ive been looking for a coat for DS and am struggling to find something that isnt black or a bubble coat angry

However for girls theres a huge range in all different colours and materials ?

mistlethrush Fri 30-Jul-10 10:37:29

I don't treat ds as a clothes horse. However, I don't see why girls get to be able to wear fun, colourful coats and boys get to wear navy, black and grey. I like DS in his bright yellow coat partly for the safety angle - he is SO much easier to see than he would be in a navy one. My son LIKES to wear bright colours. He particularly likes green - I've seen no end of girls coats with a green background but a 'girly' design on top - but not a single one for ds's over 5. Why can girls get coats with spots on, coats with stripes, coats with patterns, or plain, bright coloured coats (with detailing clearly designed for girls) but boys get such a boring, dull option.

xkaylax Fri 30-Jul-10 10:44:11

Exactly mistlethrush..

It's impossible and my DS loves bright colours also but i'm really struggling.

LoveJules3 Fri 30-Jul-10 10:52:36

I'm in! My ds is 10m and tall for his age, but everything seems to be pirate-y or baby blue which he looks awful in!

Next is quite good, but their range for under 18m is woefully small.

I think it's easy to find brightly coloured boys' coats up to 5 or 6, but it does get more difficult after that.

Next have By Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bBoys%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bCoats%26nbsp%3b%26gt% a green fleece at the moment, if that's any help?

Bother. Messed up link. They have a green fleece at the moment, anyway.

Viking kids also have green coat up to a 7-8yo size.

But there is generally stuff available, even when most things are sludge-coloured/TV character tie-ins/sk8r chic or have slogans.

Take Mothercare, for example (because someone was complaining about their boys' stuff on another thread)

For 3-8yo boys you can get
stripy polo
yellow polo
hibiscus shirt
stripy T-shirt
red "polo" that just looks like a T-shirt if you ask me
red T-shirt with car graphic
stripy fleece
stripy T-shirt

Trousers are mostly jeans or grey/sludge colours, but they have some bright red jeans and some checked shorts (and I will admit that sludge is actually a very practical colour for a 3-8 year old's trousers).

And IMO it's a similar story in most shops.

BornToFolk Fri 30-Jul-10 12:31:28

H&M are good for colourful coats. I got DS a turquoise one last winter and they had lime green too.

M&S have got lots of multi-packs of plain or striped t-shirts. I may get these for DS for autumn

I agree with ProfessorLayton that sludge is a v practical colour for small boys' trousers. I like camo for the same reason.

majafa Sat 31-Jul-10 08:34:25

You see thats what I really dont get Salfresco, how can they say there is less demand for boys clothing?

Prehaps all who agree that the choice and lack of boys clothing in shops is diabolical, should email the Head Offices and make our/their veiws known, as well as petitioning them?

Just a thought smile

bullethead Wed 04-Aug-10 20:45:03

It's true, I see loads of imaginative and colourful clothes for girls but just boring clothes for boys. It's like the shops aren't even trying.

EmmaTulip Tue 31-Aug-10 22:03:13

I totally agree with this.

I looked on John Lewis website today for socks. Under 'baby socks and tights) there are 16 options for girls (inc. tights), but only a paltry 5 for boys. Even 2 of the 6 unisex socks are clearly for girls as they have lace on them.

hidetheelephant Tue 07-Sep-10 02:23:13

There needs to be more choice for baby clothes in general I think.

I like brightly coloured and patterned sleepsuits or dungarees with feet until they can crawl, then romper suits and dungarees without feet.

edemame Mon 20-Sep-10 23:48:53

I've been seeing the same thing. Baby boy is due in 6 weeks so I've been trying to get things he can wear from hospital and sleepers, little outfits, ect.

What I have found is pretty much for every one rack of boys clothing there are 3 for girls. I'm also finding there are so many little vests but no little comfy trousers for over them. I had to look at different shops for things that could go over his vests, ended up at GAP and Jojo Mama. Pumpkin Patch is bad, they have so many cute things but even their gender neutral section is very feminine. In Kingston, for baby boys, they have one section at the moment and a million things for little girls. It makes me so annoyed. Mamas and Papas has lovely clothing but again, so many options for girls and perhaps half as much for boys.

I dont care if the shops feel boys dont care about fashion, babies are dressed by their parents anyway. Does he need something new for every day? No, but I would like to be able to change him if he gets messy and not have it be one of the same 3 baby grows every time.

seaturtle Tue 21-Sep-10 00:11:51

I'm in. Had to do an emergency purchase in Asda 6 months ago. It was a big Asda and I remember circling the kids' clothes section several times just to check that there really only was one aisle for boys 1-5.

Have done most of my shopping at H&M, Next and Gap. H&M have usually been good but I think they haven't been so good this year. I take DS abroad to see his GPs twice a year and it was the only shop in my town with a wide selection of sleeveless tops for boys(GPs live in tropics.

Was in Next today trying to find non jean, non tracksuit winter trousers. Selection for girls 1-5 is vast compared to boys 1-5.

emilyxxxx Wed 22-Sep-10 18:46:26

well asda have plenty of trousers "other then jeans"

CupcakesHay Wed 22-Sep-10 18:50:39

I agree - expecting my first child - a boy - and have already noticed that for every boys outfit, there's 10 girls ones! Plus the colours always seem to be blue and red.... can't we have a bit more excitement please??

cassie75 Mon 04-Oct-10 15:05:51

I completely agree. When my eldest son grew out of the range supplied by bHs (which wasn't extensive anyway) about the age of 9 he spent 5 years in tracksuit bottoms from JJB before he was big enough that we could buy things from adult men's stores. He now can't stand the sight of trackie bottoms! Such a huge gap in the market for pre-teen and teen boys.
Also as an aside, when my youngest son turned 1 last month I went to get a blue number 1 balloon only to be told they had stopped doing blue - only pink, silver and gold! Why!?
Boys are definitely catered for less than girls!

happyoverhere Wed 03-Nov-10 15:41:18

I find loads of clothes for clothes in Next, Mini Boden, Jonnie B, Lands End, Fat Face. I would never consider going into mothercare with an 8 year old asking for clothes. John Lewis in Bluewater have loads of suitable clothes as do M&S. I would not shop for myself in Asda so why on earth would I shop their for children!

oldraver Wed 03-Nov-10 16:02:28

I went into Next last week and there were 5 hats for my DS (4.10) in differing shades of grey, one beige and a lighter royal blue toddler design one. One the other side of the display unit were 15 girls in lots of different colours and designs. I asked the assistant why the didn't have a better range and she said they were always being asked

earwicga Wed 03-Nov-10 16:49:20

slushy - Where do you get tall skinny trousers from?!? I can't find any this year and like you live in a rural area and have no sports shops or much of anything. Tesco has some which are as thin as a pair of tights. I don't want to keep ordering unsuitable ones from the internet with delivery charges. School trousers are ok if I pay more to get the adjustable waists (until the poxy things get undone and disappear)

omnishambles Wed 03-Nov-10 16:56:50

I feel as uncomfortable about this campaign as I did the last time it was raised. I dont like asking for extra consumables - I think we have enough - nor do I want my ds to be dolled up and really fashionable - he has more than enough clothes as it is and who cares if they are sludge coloured?

Clothes are just something to keep them warm - no more and no less. Why teach dcs that they are more important than they are? All we will succeed in doing is breeding a new lot of super consumers.

We should be recycling clothes among ourselves and shopping in charity shops etc not petitioning clothes shops to make more children make yet more new clothes for our dcs. How about a campaign against child labour or sweat shops.

Different sizing would be good as all the clothes seem to be made for large, short boys and not tall skinny ones but thats my only bugbear.

<gets down off soap box and goes to make dinner>

anotherbrickinthewall Wed 03-Nov-10 17:07:23

agree with omni. a bit of a non-issue tbh.

GoldenGreen Wed 03-Nov-10 17:14:05

You've summed up how I feel omni. We just don't need more stuff for the sake of stuff.

earwicga Wed 03-Nov-10 17:16:26

'petitioning clothes shops to make more children make yet more new clothes for our dcs.'

My understanding is this is about different clothes, not more and personally I don't want to raise sludge or pinkified natured children.

'How about a campaign against child labour or sweat shops.'

Absolutely! But for that Mumsnet would have to take on capitalism...

Knackerelli Wed 03-Nov-10 17:43:00

I'm in! After having dd I was used to being spoilt; now have ds and I hate clothes shopping for him. I hate slogan tops anyway but no, he doesn't need to announce that his top used to be clean or he takes after his dad or that at 11 months the 'chicks dig me' (ffs). And what is with the transport obsession?

I would like, as others have said, bright colours, interesting designs, patterns, so not what we have currently!

happyoverhere Wed 03-Nov-10 18:10:19
earwicga Wed 03-Nov-10 18:28:04

cheers happy.

MumNWLondon Wed 03-Nov-10 19:54:24

Actually I feel the opposite. I have a 4 YO boy and a 7 YO girl. I can buy my son great stuff in primark, asda, tesco but the girls clothes is so trashy there that I just had to spend a fortune in next.

cairnterrier Wed 03-Nov-10 20:28:14

Sorry I haven't read all the thread but count me in too! Mothercare do some nice packs of 7 longsleeved vests which look colourful under dungarees.

CrazyPlateLady Thu 04-Nov-10 09:17:12

Haven't read the whole thread but couldn't agree more!!

I am fed up of going into shops and finding 1 rail of crappy boys clothes that are hideous character stuff or really dark clothes. What is it? Its winter so boys only want to wear horrible bright reds and really dark browns and navy blues etc? I would like to see some more cord trousers as oppose to jeans or crappy jogging bottoms. Some nice light tan colour would be nice. The sort of thing I could get when DS was under 18 months. That seems to be when the nicer clothes ended. I haven't been able to find a decent shirt for him for the Christmas season either.

Unprune Thu 04-Nov-10 09:19:09

Zara have cords and really nice tops atm. HTH

Unprune Thu 04-Nov-10 09:24:18

The thing with Monsoon is that their sizes are so wrong (teeny tiny) and the cost so high, plus the merchandising is really poor: but the market is there - we are crying out for nice boys' clothes and they do make them.

If they could sort out their size labelling and show the clothes off more, and inevitably bring the price down a bit, they wouldn't have to sell it all in the sales, which would surely have a knock-on effect on their business.

I think they are out of touch with their market where children's clothes are concerned. Monsoon is not a high-end label, yet for children's clothes, they charge above what they're worth: they don't price their women's clothing in the same way. The women who buy their stuff are not going to go downstairs into the back corner and go 'wow: tiny trousers for £20 - I'll take three pairs." They are going to go downstairs into the back corner and be a bit confused.

BeenBeta Thu 04-Nov-10 09:32:51

Unprune - yes Zara is very good for boys In fact its pretty much the only place we go now. I went and bought some slightly more expensive/cool T shirts from Animal but that is it last year. Everything else was Zara for DS1 (Age 10) and DS2 (age 8).

We go to Zara precisely because it has a far far better selection for boys. The other shops seem to focus entirely on girls. Zara generally a really nice variety of colours as well as jumpers, shirts and trousers for boys while other shops do a bit of sludge grey/blue hoodie and jeans for boys and not much more.

CrazyPlateLady Thu 04-Nov-10 09:35:38

I'll be taking a trip to Zara then. Thanks. I never think of there.

Awitch Thu 04-Nov-10 09:35:47

zara actually has much nicer clothes for boys than for girls, funnily enough. if i'm buying clothes for my pals' boys i always look in there. and the jumpers wash well, i am told.

girls stuff there too frou-frou imo.

I agree with the OP and lots of other posters - boys stuff is so often sparse, ugly and naff!

<goes back to read whole thread and grab some tips on where to shop>

Oh, and since when was purple a girls colour?

Unprune Thu 04-Nov-10 09:43:43

yy we buy a lot from Zara. Their skinny jeans are fantastic for ds (he's a skinnymalink) and really well cut. We have one pair that is just wearing through at the knee - they were about £20, which I paid because they really were the only high st ones to fit him at the waist - and they have fitted him for 2 years as they have a good bit of length in the leg. Really good value.

They work hard on merchandising as well, and by and large it's all quite stylish and metrosexual and they have made it easy for me - a style-free zone - to do a quick job. I like that they do colour for boys, too. Lots of duck-egg or purple, not just slurry and camo.

QueenGigantaurofMnet Thu 04-Nov-10 09:44:42

It is impossible to get boys clothes for the over 12's or younger larger boys like ds.
Asda sell girls clothes up to age 15 and then they have a teen range too. The boys clothes go up to age 12 and no such teen range.

Thoroughly pissed me off that ds is forced to wear expensive scruffy sports wear as that is all I can find.

LublieAva Thu 04-Nov-10 10:04:47

completely agree with the OP.

H&M do a nice range for boys (and as a result they rarely have anything left for the sales) but many other places seem to think that boys as young as 2 should be dressed in chavvy clothes or as mini-soldiers. And jeans are fine but not all the time.

Lurpak Thu 04-Nov-10 10:12:11

Fat Face often do more of a boys range than they do girls...

On the whole though boys clothes tend to be a poor show. Monsoon most definately the worst. My local one devotes the whole back section of the shop to girlswear, whilst the boys range is crammed into a hidden corner.

BeenBeta Thu 04-Nov-10 10:41:47

Purple is a girl's/woman's colour surely. It was the 'in' colour last year.

Eglu Thu 04-Nov-10 10:47:08

Will add to this, probably not saying anything anyone else hasn't already said but here goes.

I hate seeing two rails of boys clothes and 10 of girls clothes, Next is also quite bad for this.

I hate camo/khaki/black.

I don't want skulls on everything particularly for toddlers.

I want bright clothes. Red, orange, green (not khaki sludge colour)

H&M used to be quite good at doing a few bright clothes, but even they don't now.

I love to see my boys on red or orange trousers.

Eglu Thu 04-Nov-10 10:48:36

Forgot to mention some smarter trouser options would be nice too.

Dracschick Thu 04-Nov-10 10:49:09

Ive had 17 years and 3 sons worth of this angry.

SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING

Unprune Thu 04-Nov-10 10:49:55

Purple is surely unisex? Well, ds has worn a fair bit of purple over the years. Royal purple and maroon, not lilac.

BeenBeta Thu 04-Nov-10 10:52:32

It is unisex. I wouldnt do purple cords but purple jumper/shirt/tie is nice.

Unprune Thu 04-Nov-10 10:57:30

Purple cords = Johnnie Boden. You are right to avoid.

melikalikimaka Thu 04-Nov-10 12:52:58

I AM SO ANGRY THAT THERE IS VERY LITTLE BOYS CLOTHES IN THE SHOPS. YANBU.

Definitely need more choice, especially with regards to smarter outfits, eg for a special occasion like a party or wedding. It's just jeans, jeans, jeans, khaki combats and jeans. Oh and I hate all the slogan stuff like 'Little Monster' or 'Number 1 football fan'. My DSs are neither of these...

Unfortunately my budget pretty much only stretches to supermarket clothes but there is so much more choice for girls - I can find 10 girls outfits I like for every 1 boys outfit.

Lazylion Thu 04-Nov-10 13:05:45

YANBU. John Lewis is terrible for this when they get beyond 3 years old. Under 3 = sweet clothes, bright colours. Over 3 = revolting dark blue everywhere. I have 2 DS, 5 years of crap clothes so far.

melikalikimaka Thu 04-Nov-10 13:17:35

What about 10-14 age for boys, they don't want to look cute, but they are too young to dress adult style. Somewhere in between. Next finish at 12 years but I'm sorry my DS would not like wearing what a 3 year old wears. There is a definite problem here that needs to be addressed by major retailers. Are they listening???angry

melikalikimaka Thu 04-Nov-10 13:29:16

I wish I had seen Zara before this, they are really nice boys clothes and not too expensive.

Scaredandalone Thu 04-Nov-10 13:40:14

The op for this campaign had to leave but if anyone else wants to take over I am sure that would be ok smile

bloodsuckingLOONEY Thu 04-Nov-10 13:42:25

I totally agree!!!

cairnterrier Thu 04-Nov-10 16:22:48

Scaredandalone (do you need a hug and a cup of tea?) - what do you need to do to take over a campaign?

FlameGrilledMama Thu 04-Nov-10 21:33:15

Hi Cairnterrior it is me (scaredandalone) that name was for discussing a sensitive ongoing matter and was how I felt when I namechanged to it grin I am uncertain but basically any ideas you can think of to publicize the issue further, try to get MN support maybe link to facebook.

Diziet Thu 04-Nov-10 22:18:54

I think this is a great idea, I have 2 boys, H & M usually good, also got some lovely T shirts from Boots with sea creatures on - was so made up as DS2 has a love for hammerhead sharks and they did a T shirt with one on, I just HAD to buy it! grin Bloody navy navy navy, hell's bells, once they start school you want their 'civvies' to be a bit funkier, don't you? Or is it just my DS1 - I think he may be a bit of a Dandy!! smile

hogshead Thu 04-Nov-10 22:27:29

Generally this hasnt particularly bothered me but last night I went to our local large supermaket and spied that they have their Christmas clothes out. `Ooh' thought I, `I'll perhaps purchase a little something for DS'.

But alas no. Apparently (going on what i saw last night) only girls are allowed to celebrate christmas in Tesco.

Boys are only allowed to wear a shirt and tie - not even a christmas hat available for a boy

pinkmagic1 Thu 04-Nov-10 22:37:28

I am currently trying to find a reasonably priced coat for my 7 year old DS and seem to have a choice of grey, black or dark blue. what is wrong with a boy wearing something a little brighter?
I really enjoy shopping for DD but find shopping for DS so boring in general and it really shouldn't have to be that way. Glad I'm not the only one to feel like this.

Guacamole Thu 04-Nov-10 22:39:41

Don't get me started!
My local M&S has 3 rails of baby boy clothes and 11 for baby girls at the moment.
My Monsoon has a Monsoon Kids section, but without any boys clothes at all. I spoke to the Manager and she said they didn't stock boys clothes, to which I asked her if they are going to rename their section Monsoon Girls! She told me in her experience boys clothes do not sell, because boys only need cheap clothes to run around in and get dirty.
And finally Next who feel the need to put either a dog, dinosaur or truck on every single item of clothing they sell for boys!
Ggggggggrrrrrrrr!

misdee Thu 04-Nov-10 22:40:40

well i am tentatively stepping in here.

on tuesday i found out i am epecting a boy.

so tuesday afternoon i decideed to look for boys baby clothes.

it was the same depressing moment that i relised that shopping for boys stuff which i like, is the same as looking for girls clothes i like. ie, i dont want baby dressed head to toe in baby blue, same way i dont like bubblegum pink for girls.

so have been hunting about. nothing really appealing atm

Belle03 Thu 04-Nov-10 22:44:41

I'm in too! My DS is 8 & it's jeans with everything according to the high street. I'm fed up of sludgy colours & I'd love a bit more choice for him. H&M not bad sometimes, bits of Boden OK, he's starting to like surfwear stuff when we go on holiday- coz it's bright & a bit different. We definitely need more choice for our lovely boys!

Oblomov Thu 04-Nov-10 23:08:14

Agree. Choice of clotes for boys is poor. Next or tesco, 3 aisles for girls, one naff one for boys.
Saying that I don't have much problem dressing ds1(7). and ds2(2) has all his old clothes.
I bought great dark blue and black cords from woolworths for a few quid. and their jeans for £1.50 were fab too. tesco does smart cords.
TK Maxx we get great stuff from.
He likes smart. So nice shirts. and trousers. bought some lovely stuff from Debenhams the other day, in the sale. 2 shirts and 2 pairs of trousers, all reduced to about £8 each. Thats him sorted for all his school parties, christmas family lunch etc. I have bought him , this kind of thing, in sale :shirt
He likes Ben sherman and Jasper conran. only in the sale for under a tenner though.
Boys stuff , just requires looking. harder.

earwicga Fri 05-Nov-10 00:55:35

pinkmagic1 - Debenhams website for red & royal blue coats and they are reasonably priced and good quality.

(Although I have had to sew up the material where the hanging hook is as it came undone but at least it had one I suppose.)

Tesco used to do red coats but have of course stopped this madness.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Fri 05-Nov-10 21:34:36

totally support this thread. am on supermarket type budget and its really hard to get bright fun stuff for boys - ds is 4.5 and suits red, purple, green.

and nice trousers that are not jeans, nightmare to find for my tall, skinny laddie!

Greenwing Fri 05-Nov-10 21:55:11

Glad to know I am not alone in thinking this.

Tried to buy clothes for DS aged 9 at Tesco last week - dreadful choice compared to girls.
Had to travel and search to finally find bright yellow hoody from George at ASDA.

I got so fed up with dull clothes for my five sons that one summer we bought white T shirts and pale chino shorts and dyed them cheerful bright colours like orange, lime green and pink (even tie-dyed some). For coats we bought them waterproof cagoules which came in red! Hooray - no skulls, army camouflage, dull grey or black.
smile
Youngest are still wearing the hand-me-downs.

nappyaddict Mon 14-Feb-11 16:02:44

I went shopping today and there seems to be a lot of sailor inspired stuff. ie red and white stripes, navy and white stripes, navy and cream stripes, tan and camel coloured things etc.

So do we mumsnetters like this sort of thing or is it a bit too boring?

Fed up with the choice of monster/bug/dinosaur clothes in skinny colours esp as the girls section is so much bigger. Bring on the campaign!

nappyaddict Mon 14-Feb-11 16:35:30

Got a thread here if anyone is interested in answering it.

Eglu Mon 14-Feb-11 17:27:02

Someone earlier in the thread said why does the coat need to be yellow?

Well it is safer for my DS to be in a brightly coloured coat so he can be easily seen, rather than some black or grey thing.

TaperJeanGirl Mon 14-Feb-11 17:47:27

I dont have any trouble buying clothes for ds 19 months, only prob is it costs more to dress a boy in non skull/camo/car/football clothes, I go for basic plain tops and jeans/trousers from h&m then a more expensive top/jacket/shoes from No Added Sugar/Joules/Molo/basically anything from nordic kids website, litte asos is great too, I also have 2 girls and find it much easier to buy nice clothes for them without spending as much....most of their stuff is from next/gap/ h&m and sainsburys sometimes do some nice bits for girls too, rarely for boys...

Eglu Mon 14-Feb-11 20:39:43

TaperJeanGirl Your DS is still quite young. THe older they get the more difficult it is

kitbit Mon 14-Feb-11 21:06:46

Next is the worst. Either skulls or overpriced Disney-esque character shirts in gaudy cheap looking colours. Or cringeworthy slogans. Or little lord fauntleroy shirts and waistcoats ensembles in very cheap badly made fabric. Rubbish.

Sequins Mon 14-Feb-11 21:17:59

Ooh yes please to more boy's clothes. Boden team please take note (arf)

DS is 4 and we would like more:

- trousers with longer legs and thinner waists
- red trousers
- brighter blue trousers
- forest green trousers
- moleskin, chino and babycord fabric
- braces (DS' choice rather than mine but he does find those inside buttons itchy)
- washable woollen jumpers
- washable woollen zip-up cardigans, ideally with a hood
- long-sleeved T-shirts of good quality thick-ish cotton
- knee length socks

We would like less clothes with:
- slogans
- thin material
- skull and crossbones
- army motifs
- rugby shirts

Personally I am also getting a little bit bored with horizontal stripes. What's wrong with a plain round neck jumper?

nappyaddict Tue 15-Feb-11 14:25:16

Yes I agree. Does anyone else think stripes are boring?

I like spots, swirls, stripes, diamonds, squares, stars etc.

nappyaddict Wed 16-Feb-11 00:52:44
casbie Mon 21-Feb-11 22:46:07

totally agree... son wants cordoroy trousers, can i bl**dy find a pair? no.

son wants a hiwaiaan t'shirt (had the same red hiwaiaan shirt, in different sizes since he's been 3) can i find one? no.

i am sick to death of branded (read expensive brands) being the only quality clothes on the market.

with girls stuff, i'm already sounding like an old lady; "i can make that with better quality materials AND cheaper"

i'm now dragging my children around fabric shops instead of clothes shops!! i'm thinking that i'm going to have to re-learn how to make trousers and i really hate making trousers...

barnesmumm Thu 12-May-11 11:24:09

It's not just clothes it's shoes too. I have searched high and low for a pair of traditional sandals for my son finally getting a pair at Russell and Bromley in Richmond that were left unsold from last year. Why is it so difficult to find a pair of proper sandals for boys. Schools rightly do not accept pupils in open toe sandals for health and safety reasons and I think that the old fashioned shoe is considerably better for the developing foot. Start rite still produce a proper closed in sandal for girls so why can they not produce a unisex model? John Lewis the bed rock of all traditional children's wear do not stock anything either. I have written to Start rite and am awaiting their response. Am I being unreasonable or simply just an old stick in the mud. All my other boys wore traditional sandals and have lovely feet and they all had traditional overcoats and never had a day off school sick.

jimmychoos04 Sat 12-Nov-11 13:31:58

Have a look at www.divasanddudes.org.uk if u are looking for nice boys clothing great prices and fabulous colours from birth right up to age 10. They also have free postage.

JM70 Fri 09-Dec-11 20:15:33

I completely support this too! We need more and better variety of clothes for boys, more colours, less sludge, and less of the skulls, camouflage etc.

It would be good to see shops revisit sizing as well. My DS is a little big for his age but not massively so. He is seven, but wears age 10 clothes. His shoe size is 3, and it is VERY difficult to get age appropriate shoes - Clarks deem this size to be for teenagers! The options seem to be school shoes and trainers and not much in between.

It would be great to have some kind of website with links to alternative places to shop for boys - it would make it all easier for us to vote with our feet.

BahrainB Wed 21-Mar-12 16:54:01

I don't mind spending a bit more on quality things to pass on as have two boys . What disappoints me is that even the middle England brands like Boden , Joules and White Company have very limited boys lines and recently have resorted to dinosaur, skateboarders and shite on shirts . I do find things in Zara , H& M and gap but my best buys are French or USA stuff from car boots or eBay .

Keles Tue 27-Mar-12 00:28:17

I have read everyones comments and I too have had such a hard time finding clothing for my lil DS so much so that I have decided to take matters into my own hands and design my own clothes!! I am happy to help other mums too, so contact me if you do. Its time to make a change! And if the stores will not do anything about it, I'm gonna make the change myself! Who is with me?

MaMattoo Tue 27-Mar-12 00:52:23

You have my support!! Whole hearted support!!! I weep at the openness of the gender divide in this country. Girls to look pretty and have a thousand types of shoes and accessories which boys can only have two. I shall not even venture into the whole pink /floral /princess vs Thomas/bob: monster stereotypes.
It is unfair on boys. It's unhealthy in the long run I am sure. And I hate to 'have to' subscribe to this. It's mean and backward in its approach and this should be picked up by MN. If nothing else we should start our own brand of clothing for boys. What say?

Keles Tue 27-Mar-12 20:43:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RubyrooUK Tue 27-Mar-12 21:43:35

Totally agree. I struggle to find non-slogan, attractive clothes for my son (19mo) on the high street. I usually go to H&M, Polarn o Pyret and occasionally Next. I buy Snafolk stuff online, as it does quite imaginative stuff for boys.

But generally I find it all very disappointing and annoying to have one rail of limited outfits for boys beside rails of pink for girls.

Sirzy Tue 27-Mar-12 21:46:53

I said exactly the same as the OP about asda last week, they may aswell not bother selling boys clothes anymore.

All I want is nice trousers that aren't jeans but apparently that is a lot to ask.

RubyrooUK Tue 27-Mar-12 21:48:14

I meant Smafolk online. Quite agree with all the previous comments moaning about Next's obsession with skulls too!

Alltheseboys Wed 18-Apr-12 04:34:56

I used to be able to get loads in primark & new look had some nice stuff but it's like boys don't exist anymore. I find it very hard getting affordable clothes for mg boyssad

CheerfulYank Wed 18-Apr-12 05:09:04

I don't have too much of a problem with it but maybe it's different in America? DS looks lovely in orange and has a lot of it. Do you have a Gymboree in the UK?

wishiwasonholiday Wed 18-Apr-12 06:13:33

I agree too I went to asda the other day (a big one) and there were about 5 aisles for girls and 2 mini ones for boys. I've found the shop with better choice to be h&m.

seeker Wed 18-Apr-12 06:16:17

It gets a bit better when they are older. Still a wider choice for girls, but H and M and Zara have some fantastic boys stuff.

MoreBeta Wed 18-Apr-12 06:23:59

I'm in too. Its depressing how drab boys clothes are.

Zara are one of the few reasonably priced shops that do make an effort.

We buy in the more expensive shops online but only in sales. Here there seems to be a slightly broader range of colurs but really all retailers need to make more effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now