Autumn Academy Courses!

(22 Posts)
PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Sep-13 10:22:54

Hi all

We're really exciting about our Autumn Mumsnet Academy courses beginning this month.

We have courses on everything from starting your own business and boosting your career to DIY, parenting, creative writing, photography, gardening and even The Great Gatsby. And there's a mix of online and face-to-face courses to try and cater for every schedule!

To help us deliver the programme we've enlisted some big names including: best-selling author Esther Freud, Chelsea Flower Show medal-winner Dawn Issac and Sony Fashion Photographer of the Year, David Handley.

Have a look on the Mumsnet Academy website to see more courses we have on offer. We'd love to hear what you think and which courses tickle your fancy! We're now developing our spring programme too, so if you have any ideas please join in the discussion below.

Patrick

Feedback

Searching for courses in Manchester brought up one course in Perth, one in Isleworth, three in London and one in Potters Bar. I gave up at that point.

So I had a look at the online courses. The 'more' link on Be Your Own Boss (UEL Course) gives me a biscuit. The School Of Life link gives me a 'Page not found' error on their site.

As I looked down the list, I then found that many of the courses in my search were over already.

a) If you don't run courses in Manchester, it shouldn't return any search items.
b) Links not working doesn't give a good impression. Actually, it gives a lousy impression of the company.
c) have a search option 'on line' so its clear from the outset that you want to search on line.
d) Closed or old courses shouldn't come up when you are looking for a course.

This many faults is not good stuff as it doesn't give me much faith in delivery.

c) should read "want to search for on line courses".

MollyBerry Mon 09-Sep-13 14:19:05

I agree, none of the links I clicked on to read more worked. I got the biscuit page for every single one

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Sep-13 14:51:20

Hello,

Sorry you are experiencing difficulties when trying to access our Academy courses – completely our fault and our Tech team is looking into the problem! In the meantime, all the courses on the Academy homepage are current and active! I hope there is something you like.

Apologies again.

P

grants1000 Mon 09-Sep-13 21:10:13

Cripes, that told you MN!

Chill woman, you can get a train from Manchester to London, I've done it in the past grin

hmm Yes, I'd heard of trains, but thats not really the point. If you're searching for a course in Manchester then generally you expect for it to retutrn results for Manchester.

Mumsnet Academy is meant to be a professional business. A search function that doesn't work properly and multiple broken links don't look good.

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 10-Sep-13 15:00:47

The courses are looking fabulous though!

I would so come to the DIY one if I wasn't in t'north.

Tha's could allus use train tha knows Turnip. wink

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 10-Sep-13 16:09:40

Train? Tha's not getting me on one of them girt smoke-belching, horse-frightening godforsaken contraptions. Horse and wagon were good enough fer me grandma and it'll be good enough for me.

Wonderstuff Tue 10-Sep-13 18:36:33

smile

grants1000 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:34:46

If you are going t

grants1000 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:36:47

I get on train but cant reed nor wreet so course ney good for me.

grants1000 Tue 10-Sep-13 21:38:10

Just because a couple of links don't work does not mean the courses will be shit.

Honestly wink

MrsTwgtwf Tue 10-Sep-13 22:28:29

The courses look the very opposite of shit to me. I'd love to do loads of them, if only I had the time. envy The partners involved with MN in providing them are really impressive too.

I'm going to email PatrickMumsnet with a request for a course...

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Wed 11-Sep-13 19:44:59

So are there actually any courses in England that aren't in London?

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:15:52

EduCated

So are there actually any courses in England that aren't in London?

Hi EduCated, thanks for the post. All of our current courses are in London although there are some online courses too, so folk can attend wherever they are based. We did offer a course in Edinburgh last year but found it hard to recruit MNetters to come along. If you would like a course in Scotland, we'd happily organise one – let us know. Patrick

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 11:31:27

MrsTwgtwf

The courses look the very opposite of shit to me. I'd love to do loads of them, if only I had the time. envy The partners involved with MN in providing them are really impressive too.

I'm going to email PatrickMumsnet with a request for a course...

Thank you for the lovely post – pleased you like what we're doing!

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Thu 12-Sep-13 12:53:28

Oh, I'm in Birmingham, so London's more useful than Scotland, but still makes it pretty tricky to do any of them, which is a shame, cos there's a couple I'd be interested in sad

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 13:08:15

EduCated

Oh, I'm in Birmingham, so London's more useful than Scotland, but still makes it pretty tricky to do any of them, which is a shame, cos there's a couple I'd be interested in sad

We could do something in Birmingham – in fact, happy to try. What would you like?

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Thu 12-Sep-13 13:27:22

The Women's History one sounded fun. But don't do it just for me, what if I'm the only one who turns up blush grin

Was more just a whine 'cos having Birmingham and Manchester as search options makes it look like there's something happening there, I get all excited 'cos normally stuff's so London-centric and its nice to be remembered, but then it turns out it is all in London and my dreams have been shattered <melodramatic>

So mainly just a pointless grumble, but it is a bit odd having them as search options when nothing's happening there.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Sep-13 13:52:38

EduCated

The Women's History one sounded fun. But don't do it just for me, what if I'm the only one who turns up blush grin

Was more just a whine 'cos having Birmingham and Manchester as search options makes it look like there's something happening there, I get all excited 'cos normally stuff's so London-centric and its nice to be remembered, but then it turns out it is all in London and my dreams have been shattered <melodramatic>

So mainly just a pointless grumble, but it is a bit odd having them as search options when nothing's happening there.

To be honest, the search option is there because we did try to run courses in Birmingham and Manchester. Sadly, none of these courses recruited particularly well. However, if there is a course you would like to see and you have a group of friends, acquaintances or otherwise who are keen to attend, we will more than willingly make the arrangements. We'd LOVE to offer courses all over the country!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now