Just home from the Ancient Rome course - loved it!

(25 Posts)
stickybeaksyd Thu 18-Oct-12 22:57:15

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone else - what a fantastic way to spend the weekend! The lectures were so enthusiastically delivered and the atmosphere incredibly friendly - you never felt that what you might add to the discussion might not be valid or trivial. Like most of you, I was only too pleased to escape to the metropolis for some culture and a change of scenery. The Bloomsbury venue is perfect and having the British Museum next door is the icing on the cake! Am still buzzing with it all and investigating an MA in classic civilisation so thank you Emily, Mary & colleagues for your inspiration and Patrick for the organisation.

ventilatormum Thu 18-Oct-12 21:56:08

has taken me till now to find this thread... but I loved it too. Thought the space at Faber and Faber was lovely - so white and airy, and it was fascinating to read the letters on the wall in the coffee room. Loved being in Bloomsbury too; thought all the lectures were great and Mary Beard was worth the weekend alone - wasn't she such professional and interesting speaker. But it was all fun!
Labradoodle are you the Barnes lady I went on the train with?!
Guessing because of the Classics degree and yr friend!
Sally
Patrick, thanks for organising it.
Wow just read your post Pantah, going to look it up ...

Pantah630 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:09:50

Kings college London, home of Emily, Henrik and William, do a summer school in Classics......so very tempting smile

labradoodlemum Thu 18-Oct-12 13:43:33

I agree with everything said above - fabulous weekend. Just so refreshing to use my brain for a change and escape to beautiful Bloomsbury. I cant fault anything really. Emily's zest and enthusiasm were infectious and I thought that the group of attendees were wonderful. It worked on all levels - I have a (forgotten!) Classic degree and my friend had no clasics background apart from watching MBs programme, and we both thought it was spot on. I want to go back to uni and study with Emily now!
see you all at the Greek on in January
Ashley

ClungebobSparepants Tue 16-Oct-12 19:43:59

Oh, and hello Betty smile

ClungebobSparepants Tue 16-Oct-12 19:43:13

freerangelady - Do it! I've signed up today and am more than willing to jump into action should you need any hot towels.

freerangelady Tue 16-Oct-12 13:24:12

I also absolutely loved the weekend. Signed up due to Mary Beard who was everything I'd hoped for and more but have to say, Emily Pillinger is amazing!! She totally needs her own tv series on roman literature!

So....the due date for my baby to arrive is january30th - do I risk the Greek course??!!!

Aww thanks grumpy I have decided to get the Greek course for her 18th birthday prezzie, (24th Jan)

I'll have to send her in with cake!

grumpyoldbookworm Tue 16-Oct-12 10:24:24

Have just booked onto the Greek course - the Roman one was so good... BossyBritches your DD was great company and it was great to see such a wide age range there (I wasn't the oldest!). Also interesting to see what biscuits mumsnet chose!

ooh look what just appeared in my inbox......

the weekend Greek course next year!

Hi there from DD1- she loved the weekend too came home with brain buzzing and a renewed determination to study hard & get into Uni to read Classics.

Ironically the Nice Young Man on the desk on Sunday(Ian?)studied Classics at Queens Cambridge where DD wants to go so picked his brains & she also had a nice chat with Emily so thanks for the info Emily!

Can I just say thanks too to all the lovely MN-ers who took time to speak to Helen, she is very shy & this was right out of her comfort zone but the combination of her favourited subject plus a welcoming crowd made it even more of an enjoyable experience, so thanks all!

<I got to wonder around London, the museums & people watch for 2 days so that was a nice change!>

Well done MN Academy a resounding success- how was it from your end ?

Is Patrick lying down in a darkened storecupboard with biscuits room now?

grin grin

BettySuarez Mon 15-Oct-12 21:45:10

That was a lot of grin in that post - sorry!

BettySuarez Mon 15-Oct-12 21:40:48

It was just fabulous!

Emily was brilliant, so much enthusiasm and passion for her subject. I could have listened to her all day grin.

Mary was fab too, she actually spoke to me in the break out area before her lecture started and I got a bit flustered and tonge-tied and had to stop myself from stroking her grin.

She was everything I thought she would be and more. More than anything, I wanted her to be rebellious and say 'shit' at least once during her lecture (as she raised a few eyebrows doing this on the Beeb) and she didn't dissapoint - hurrah. I actually found a very very bery long silver hair on my seat and it could only have been hers grin

Patrick was brilliant although he looked more like a Matt or a Tom and not at all like a 'Patrick'. Thanks for the tea and coffee and biscuits Patrick smile

Hello to JennyJuno and clungebob grin it was lovely to meet you both and thanks for keeping me company at The British Museum at lunchtime. Hope your DS feels better clungebob and that you have a lovely cruise JennyJuno. Thankyou also clungebob for ahowing me where my hotel was (I am a muppet with a map!)

Hello to the two ladies both expecting their babies. I am sorry I didn't get the chance to talk to you much but good luck with everything.

Hello too to the lady from Gloucester, I will try to book an earlier train next time grin

Can't wait to do it all again grin

KimThomas Mon 15-Oct-12 17:41:16

Have signed in under my real name.

Agree with everyone - this was a fantastic course, pitched at just the right level. Emily was really excellent and full of an infectious enthusiasm for the subject. Thought all the guests were great too - delighted to discover Mary Beard is just as good in real life as on the telly.

Great to meet so many other mumsnetters too.

Pantah630 Mon 15-Oct-12 16:23:23

Does anyone know the discount code for mumsnetters? I didnt use it last time and remembered there was one but couldn't find the link.

Pantah630 Mon 15-Oct-12 15:59:49

holtby you were right in front of me and two others - not saying which of the three though grumpyoldbookworm may have been another one ;).

Patrick just sent through the dates for Ancient Greece, 26/27 January, same location, have asked for an early reading list. Off to sign up now!

Holtby Mon 15-Oct-12 14:55:28

I loved it too! (btw, I am also dying to know who everyone here is - as for me, dark bobbed hair, sitting one row from the back on the right hand side, and my Dad sat on the aisle and asked MB the question about I Claudius).

Dad's really knowledgeable on the subject and I absolutely am not and we both thought it was terrific - really engaging, very accessible and a great pace. I would do another in a flash!

Muffin1 Mon 15-Oct-12 12:09:10

It was absolutely brilliant, I loved every second of it...will definitely be going on the Ancient Greece course!

lolapoppy, I used the Cambridge Latin Course books for GCSE Latin, they are really good smile

lolapoppy Mon 15-Oct-12 11:49:13

laughing at the responses - wish I could now put your nicknames to the faces I met!!
Am signing up for the Cambridge Latin course, Book 1.
I like the idea of having 'Classicist' after my name!

ClungebobSparepants Mon 15-Oct-12 09:19:23

Yay! for Emily and Mary (and the fab men involved too smile). I feel so inspired and ignited about something I'd never really given much thought to before. Going on this course has literally opened up a whole new world for me and I'm heading straight on down to the library today to do some more swotting. I would heartily recommend any course in which Emily Pillinger is involved. Before going, I was slightly worried I'd be a bit bored or feel intellectually inadequate, but she was bloody brilliant and made it all so interesting. Don't know how she keeps going with such enthusiasm, but she's certainly an inspiration. It was also great to meet everyone and I have already put the Ancient Greece course on my list for Father Christmas.

Pantah630 Mon 15-Oct-12 08:47:38

Yes thank you Patrick and Emily, it was fabulous. Can't believe how many notes I've taken, hoping they all make sense when I read them back through. Great location, excellent lecturers including an Indiana Jones in Professor mode lookalike but with much nicer accent, think Borgen/The Killing, interesting material, lovely new people to meet and make friends.
hassled Mary is everything you'd hope for, and more. Our main lecturerer, Emily Pillinger, was so engaging and enthusiast on the subject of Classics, I'd be surprised if she didn't have students banging her door down, trying to get on her courses smile
Will be adding my name to the Ancient Greece list for sure.

Hassled Sun 14-Oct-12 20:32:57

If there's another one I will be there like a speeding bullet - I'm glad to hear it went well. Was yearning to go but for various reasons couldn't. And was Mary as lovely as ever?

lolapoppy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:30:50

Hi, agree, fantastic two- day event. Brain is still buzzing. Well done Patrick and Emily for organising. When is the next one?? Mish

grumpyoldbookworm Sun 14-Oct-12 19:18:33

Thanks from me too - it was great! Huge amount of information presented entertainingly in an excellent location. Being so close to the British Museum was wonderful as we could go to see Nero at lunchtime! More please...

Thanks Patrick, Emily and everyone involved in the course - I absolutely loved it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now