Ancient Rome with Mary Beard

(74 Posts)
Pantah630 Wed 27-Jun-12 09:43:29

My boys have bought me this course for my birthday, am very excited. Is anyone else going?

Thanks MNHQ -DD1 loved it & is looking forward to the Greek one when it gets sorted!

lolapoppy Sun 14-Oct-12 20:48:33

Brilliant two days although husband has put himself to bed after two days alone with the kids. Realised how much I love being in a learning environment.

Pantah630 Sat 13-Oct-12 21:49:59

Think there may be a queue, there's so many of us she'll be there all day. None of the people I've met so far have seen this thread so our MN disguises are still intact smile. Having a great time, my brain is now full of wicked Emporers and need to sleep, it's been a long day.

grumpyoldbookworm Sat 13-Oct-12 20:27:19

Do you think Mary will sign my book? If I say please?

BettySuarez Sat 13-Oct-12 20:08:21

So much to take in but fantastic start. Can't wait for tomorrow and will have to resist temptation to stroke Mary grin

Hope you have done your homework madam wink

grumpyoldbookworm Sat 13-Oct-12 19:59:16

Great day one! Hope day two is as good! Great to meet some lovely people too although my brain is now completely full...

BettySuarez Sat 13-Oct-12 07:15:19

I'm on the train grin

Usual style is to be either really early or really late, we shall see!

Pantah630 Sat 13-Oct-12 06:20:24

Off for the train, see you all in a few hours smile

JennyJuno Fri 12-Oct-12 23:26:49

I'm in Luton! That doesn't usually fill me with glee but tonight it does!

Typical - night before the test and I haven't done my homework. Will read the whole thread on the train in tomorrow. Can't wait to meet you all and have a fab Roman time!

Pantah630 Fri 12-Oct-12 20:34:23

Helen, you can join us all at the back as we push Jenny forward grin

Hi this is bossy's DD, Helen - 17 year old nerd in 2nd year of A-levels and hoping to do Classics at uni next year. Mum put me onto this course, it sounds really exciting and I can't wait to get started on the lectures, although I'll probably sit in a dark corner at the back not saying much!

Bossy here! I'm in London with Helen planning to hit the museums + galleries but oping to meet H for lunch at the Brtish Museum which is in the same street. Staying at the YH in Earls Court, on our way down by train from Lincolnshire!

Hope you all have fun.

BettySuarez Fri 12-Oct-12 13:33:31

Holy cow, last minute disaster averted!

Found my train tickets, found my booking confirmation for course but couldn't find my hotel booking confirmation ANYWHERE!!

Couldn't remember the name of the hotel or even where it was or who I had booked it through.

Then I remembered it was lastminute.com and very nice young man helped me on the phone to trace the booking whereupon I remembered I had paid for the hotel as a business expense blush shock

Train at 6.40am tomorrow, probably won't sleep due to excitement!

civilfawlty Fri 12-Oct-12 09:23:27

I just wanted to say how JEALOUS I am. Hope you all love it.

JennyJuno Fri 12-Oct-12 09:20:39

I made a label smile Can't promise I'll wear it LOL I wish some of the reading matter was online. The two books I looked for aren't on Kindle sad I have, of course, read Mary Beard's 'Pompeii' smile

See you all tomorrow. I wonder how many are signed up.

ClungebobSparepants Thu 11-Oct-12 18:16:23

Jenny - somehow I don't think you'll need a label grin

JennyJuno Thu 11-Oct-12 13:14:08

Should I wear a sticky label on my forehead saying 'Jenny - yes, that one! Coffee'.

JennyJuno Thu 11-Oct-12 13:12:57

I have a postgrad cert. in archaeology and I don't own Crocs LOL Just sayin'!

There is no way I will have any time to do any reading so I'll just nod knowledgeably occasionally smile Got the reading list way too late for me.

BettySuarez Wed 10-Oct-12 21:40:52

Frontpaw, follow the Mumsnet Academy link and find the course there, if there are spaces then you can book through Eventbright - good luck smile

Snoozypants Wed 10-Oct-12 21:38:33

Frontpaw email patrick@mumsnet.com and ask him, not sure about availability but hope you get on!

Frontpaw Wed 10-Oct-12 21:13:09

Is it sold out?

Snoozypants Wed 10-Oct-12 21:06:43

Right, thanks to Patrick I am now up to speed and have my reading list. Erm...might be best to pretend I never received that email after all confused

No ballet flats here, don't think I'd make it from Euston in those. Looking forward to catching up with you all over a coffee and finding someone to have a giggle with at the back...bringing lots of sense of humour here!!!

Pantah630 Wed 10-Oct-12 20:25:56

grin going to be disappointed by me then, jeans, boots and combat....no ballet flats no idea in my wardrobe. Though I may dig out my brothers cast off nice jacket rather than the combat as we're now training it and not riding. I can pretend to be less of a grub for the weekend. Will be knackered as walking from Waterloo and cutting it fine, time wise.

BettySuarez Wed 10-Oct-12 19:56:21

I am so sitting next to you Clungebob grin

ClungebobSparepants Wed 10-Oct-12 19:45:59

At least we'll know who you are if you wear Crocs, Betty. I'm expecting everyone else to be in "skinnies and ballet-flats" hmm and a Mumsnet scarf, of course. I might cause a collective sartorial meltdown by wearing my supermarket fake Ugg-style boots just because they're warm and comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now