Ancient Rome with Mary Beard

(74 Posts)
Pantah630 Wed 27-Jun-12 09:43:29

My boys have bought me this course for my birthday, am very excited. Is anyone else going?

freerangelady Wed 03-Oct-12 07:49:28

Ooh, I'm going too and very excited!! Staying
On my own in London too and soo looking forwards to it!!

BettySuarez Wed 03-Oct-12 08:28:53

clungebob and freerange - I am definitely up for dinner Saturday night. Only if we can book the table in our mumsnett names though wink

I think that there is a travellodge nearby - where is everyone staying?

ClungebobSparepants Wed 03-Oct-12 16:07:37

betty hoorah! I am way more excited about this weekend than I was about the family holiday. DP thinks probably correctly that I'm bonkers, but I can't wait to meet new people and learn new stuff (and have a few drinks while out in London town - eep!)
I am staying in the Premier Inn at Euston, but decided against using one of my many Mumsnet name for the booking smile.

JennyJuno Thu 04-Oct-12 13:50:38

Really looking forward to meeting you all smile

I'm flying in from Geneva with my husband and daughter (who will be trawling around Covent Garden and the British Museum while I'm otherwise engaged with you all). We're staying at a hotel just a few doors down from Faber&Faber on the Saturday night (staying out at Luton Airport on the Friday night as we're coming in after work/school on the Friday evening from Switzerland). If you don't mind a man and a teenager tagging along, we may be up for dinner ... or at least something smooth during the cocktail hour!

I'm be the vaguely flustered looking one with either a rucksack or a giant suitcase attached! This is good timing for my family as we had to be on London on the Sunday to flight out to Turkey for a cruise early Monday morning - hence the suitcase (it's not full of Roman history books!).

TMI? Yeah, well, that's me too so just so you know I'll the vaguely flustered, luggage-toting, incessantly chattering northerner - just give me caffeine and I'll be a good little student smile

BettySuarez Thu 04-Oct-12 20:24:24

JennyJuno it will be a pleasure to meet you and your family. I can feel a sisterhood coming on grin

Pantah630 Fri 05-Oct-12 22:07:31

DH and Ds2 supposed to be trawling round IWM, HMS Belfast, etc.. While we're studying away. Do you mind a couple more tagging along? Not sure where we're staying yet, planning to get a very early train up from Dorset or I'll be riding up alone and crashing with my DB, hoping the weather stays dry.

I'm hoping we get a field trip to the Museum as well smile

JennyJuno Sat 06-Oct-12 10:30:29

OOOO, a field trip! That would be good smile I haven't been in the BM for decades ... my only excuse is that I haven't lived in the UK for 25 years, but I admit I'm in London at least once a year.

Anyone seen a course list yet? In my usual flustered way, I've now realised I have to dash out to a bank at some point as my British bank, in all its glory, blocked my account because, and I quote, "it wasn't being used so we assumed it had been hacked". Huh? No money was going out so it was hacked? Apparently some unknown bank worker will instantly know it is me if I produce myself in person and they may give me money! Which is always a bonus in London.

See, TMI? All I can say is there better be caffeine at Faber&Faber when I arrive! I'm afraid I'm not on Mumsnet enough to know any of you personally, and now you all know way too much about me LOL I'm not sure if we'll be able to make dinner on Saturday night - teenager has been making plans of her own, I think, and, although we've tried to keep a low profile, I suspect DH has blabbed to all our London-based cronies about our imminent, if rushed, arrival.

I've been trying to find the time to read a bit on the subject, but I'm coming in blind. Anyone got a Roman History academic background? My first degree was a history one, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

JennyJuno Sat 06-Oct-12 10:46:50

Maybe we should introduce ourselves if anyone feels like it, so we get over the hump of that early smile No pressure!

Jenny, British, 50, married to an American toyboy for 20 years (well, he's in his 40s and it makes me feel better to think 'toyboy'), with a 14 year DD. Lived in Switzerland for 22 years, Iceland before that, Oxford before that, uni in Chester before that and a very long 'Arthur Ransome' childhood in the Lake District in the beginning!

I work at a UN organization in Geneva and have just graduated with my MA in International Relations, specializing in vulnerable illegal labour. I am about to start an MA in Media Communications - because I'm a glutton for punishment.

You can take the Brit out of the UK, but you can't take the UK out of the Brit and I go 'home' to the UK quite often. I got stopped on a Geneva tram last week, while chatting with a friend, by someone I'd never met before but who had heard my accent and wanted to know if I was from Lancashire or Cumbria LOL My DD will be starting boarding school in the UK in 2013 and is looking forward, hesitantly, to actually living in a country for which she holds a nationality!

That's me!

Pantah630 Sat 06-Oct-12 13:10:00

Good idea, I'm Lu, 42, Biker, mother of 2 DS's, 22 & 12. Didn't go to Uni, FE college, OND in Business and Finance, went on to study for ACCA but gave it up when first DS came along. I run a Motorcycle shop on the South Coast, where I get do the accounts, field the calls, sales, parts, play with bikes and generally boss the mechanics around ;)

I've always been interested in History, have far too many books but have never been to a University type lecture, am quite nervous but will cover it with bravado. I'll be the one in jeans, boots and no sartorial style whatsoever smile

Looking forward to meeting you all.

BettySuarez Sat 06-Oct-12 15:03:24

I'm Claire, 42 living in South West. Didn't go to Uni either (my one regret). Ex nurse, now running my own business.

Have four DC's all at secondary and sixth form.

I am well nourished and a scruffy cow to boot! wink

freerangelady Sat 06-Oct-12 18:21:45

Jenny - I'm tired reading about your life! It sounds very glamourous and fun.

I'm Heather, 31 pregnant with 1st child due in January. Am a farmer so have had a manically busy few months with harvest and this is my lovely last treat to myself before kids come along and I can't do stuff like this for a few years.

Did a degree in Ancient History and Egyptology - I chose the Ancient History bit because I thought "oh, a bit of Greece and Rome will make me seem a bit more normal to employers". Sat down to my first lecture and my first thought was "crap, where's this place called Mesopotamia". Turns out I didn't do much Greece and Rome but LOVE all history before 400BC - don't know much Roman history so will be going into this very blind.

And it turns out I never use what I learnt in my degree in anyway so its all pretty irrelevant now!

ClungebobSparepants Sun 07-Oct-12 09:38:57

I'm Susie, 42 and with 1 DS who is just 3. We live in Worcestershire and I'm a librarian.

Before DS I was very career-driven and we did lots of travelling and other adventures. Since DS, well, not so much, although he has been a whole new adventure. I now work part-time and do lots of domestic/mummy stuff, never go out after 6pm, and watching University Challenge is about the biggest workout my brain gets. So, while I'm very much looking forward to next weekend, I'm also a bit nervous about having to concentrate for longer than 10 minutes and making conversation with people who know so much more about it than I do! I have absolutely no background in Classics, other than watching the odd titbit of Mary Berry on telly.

Claire I am well nourished and a scruffy cow to boot! Maybe we're sisters...

JennyJuno Sun 07-Oct-12 14:45:21

Lovely to hear about you all! Heck, do I really come over all glam? It's not me at all! I'm a working class northern lass who works as a paper pusher (so not a diplomat). We live in an apartment & our daughter is going to a State boarding school LOL I don't want you all expecting Johanna Lumley and then meeting Victoria Wood! LOL For those out of academia, I studied nothing more than a menu for over 25 years and had to be persuaded by into education - I wasn't God's gift to academia first time around. But I've completely fallen in love with the world of learning and, guess what, if you're interested, it isn't hard smile So I think this little merry band are going to have a great time next weekend.

As I've made you all my personal counsellors recently, dog had major accident in woods this morning, surgery & months of house rest for her, thought we'd have to cancel London & following cruise. But, phew, friend in France came to rescue for tripod dog - how can you thank a friend for being canine nurse for 2 weeks with barely mobile dog?! Anyway, looks like I will still be with you all. Aren't you thrilled!

JennyJuno Sun 07-Oct-12 14:48:42

PS Mary Berry is a goddess!

ClungebobSparepants Sun 07-Oct-12 15:45:06

Jenny, I feel I already know you so well! Will be grand to meet you all in the flesh next week.

BettySuarez Sun 07-Oct-12 17:08:54

Jenny we are also having to look at State Boarding Schools at the moment - will have to compare notes grin

Pantah630 Sun 07-Oct-12 21:12:53

Oh Poor dog, hope she's on the road to recovery, what happened? Another dog lover here with a history of accident prone dogs.

It's been 20+ years since I studied anything in depth, do you think we need to do some mugging up beforehand?

JennyJuno Tue 09-Oct-12 08:21:43

Lost the dog yesterday sad Ruptured cruciate ligament and epilepsy was just too much for my poor old golden retriever. Family bereft.

You all better be blo**dy entertaining this weekend smile I don't have time for any mugging up - yesterday, as you can imagine, was a right-off, too much work to do in the office before leaving for nearly a fortnight and I'm starting my Media class soon as mugging up for that. I am, however, really, really looking forward to Saturday, especially after seeing the lecture list smile

Pantah630 Tue 09-Oct-12 10:47:23

Really sorry Jenny, pretty sure she's happily chasing rabbits on the other side. Heartbreaking for all in the family but she wouldn't be happy unable to run about and the disorientation from epilespsy in dogs is awful to witness from experience. Thinking of you all, hopefully the break away will help.

We promise to be as entertaining, probably from ignorance of correct thought processes in discussion on my part as humanly possible. I have no knowledge of any of the reading list, in any depth whatsoever so will be scanning some in the quiet times at work. I hope as its a beginners course we're allowed to be unprepared though, especially as we only got the outline yesterday.

See you all Saturday smile

JennyJuno Wed 10-Oct-12 08:17:53

I will be totally unprepared, probably slightly uncoordinated, definitely fashion-challenged and in need of caffeine smile But I'm always enthusiastic, willing to admit ignorance and usually good for being mocked in public fora (or is it forums? I never know - the UN insists on 'forums' in English but it always looks odd to me).

I'm planning on coming to a skidding halt at the appointed time and place on Saturday, probably looking slightly trampish ('hedgerow', not 'too much slap', definition), murmuring about Easybus Luton Airport timetables and clutching an iPad.

I will understand if you all ignore me smile

ClungebobSparepants Wed 10-Oct-12 15:58:46

Jenny - I imagine there's no better person in the country to ask re: the fora/forums question than Mary Beard, so you can go back to Geneva fully prepared for battle (or not) with the UN grin

Snoozypants Wed 10-Oct-12 17:02:43

Errr there's a reading list? For some reason I'm not getting these emails! Gosh, good job I checked this board! Going to email MNHQ and get them to get me up to date! At this rate you're all going to know me as the total dunce at the back confused

Well I'm 33, live just outside of London although am a Northerner with the accent to boot. Lived in Greenwich for quite a while before trying life up in York (the most contact I've had with Romans on this soil).
Have a textiles degree but always fancied going back to study archaeology or classics...maybe one day when I have 5 mins peace from the 3 dc! Workwise dh and I are property developers in SE London, more glam than it sounds!!

Anyway, if I manage to turn up on time I'm really looking forward to meeting you all!!!!

BettySuarez Wed 10-Oct-12 17:36:53

I can't decide whether to wear my Crocs or not? They do tend to polarise the Mumsnet community but then again I feel certain that Mary herself is an avid wearer of them. They must be the shoe of choice for archeological digs grin

Eather way (and footwear choices aside) it will be lovely to meet you all.

I have no previous experience of Classics, have never been to Rome and had to stiffle a sob laugh when I saw the reading list. I will however be bringing plenty of enthusiasm with me and a nasty cold if you're lucky

BettySuarez Wed 10-Oct-12 18:48:18

Either way blush

ClungebobSparepants Wed 10-Oct-12 19:45:59

At least we'll know who you are if you wear Crocs, Betty. I'm expecting everyone else to be in "skinnies and ballet-flats" hmm and a Mumsnet scarf, of course. I might cause a collective sartorial meltdown by wearing my supermarket fake Ugg-style boots just because they're warm and comfy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now