Ancient Rome with Mary Beard

(74 Posts)
Pantah630 Wed 27-Jun-12 09:43:29

My boys have bought me this course for my birthday, am very excited. Is anyone else going?

JennyJuno Tue 03-Jul-12 12:05:26

Yes, I am. I'm very excited. I'm flying in from Switzerland for it!

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-12 08:14:37

We are delighted you are both going to be attending our forthcoming course on Roman History. Emily (Pillinger) and Mary (Beard) are a first-rate line-up and we look forward to an informative and exciting weekend on all things Rome. We are offering a companion course on Ancient Greece in September which Emily is running alongside Tim Whitmarsh and Charlotte Higgins which might also be of interest?

JennyJuno Thu 05-Jul-12 07:05:14

Ah, already busy that weekend, but I would have loved to if I'd been free.

When I say 'busy', I'm going to a Nickelback concert in Zurich. You may all mock me now smile

Is there a minimum age Patrick? My 17 yr old DD would love to attend as she's hoping to do Classics & adores MB.

Are there any places left?

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 05-Jul-12 15:19:01

Bossybritches22

Is there a minimum age Patrick? My 17 yr old DD would love to attend as she's hoping to do Classics & adores MB.

Are there any places left?

Well, in theory, it is 18. How old will she be when the course takes place in October?

17yrs 9 months-but is hoping to study Classics with MB at Cambridge so it would be really interesting for her & give her something to talk about at interview.

She is a very mature 17 yr old & very quiet won't disrupt anything (she told me to say that!! )

I appreciate you have to have a cut offpoint.

HelloShitty Mon 09-Jul-12 07:44:22

I'm going too. It will be my first weekend away on my own since DS was born and I CAN'T WAIT grin

Pantah630 Tue 10-Jul-12 20:49:48

Nickelback and Ancient Rome, you lucky thing. It's been years since I've been to any lectures, I'm wondering if I get to buy new stationery for note taking smile

I'm going too! smile

Can anyone tell me the discount code please ?

Ambrosius Tue 17-Jul-12 17:30:50

Are there any free tickets? Competitions or anything? <hopeful>

JennyJuno Mon 27-Aug-12 14:21:18

Anyone know where it's being held yet? I really need to book a hotel and would like to be near the venue.

HelloShitty Wed 29-Aug-12 08:35:31

I'm waiting on venue news too as need to arrange where to stay...

JennyJuno Tue 04-Sep-12 08:06:31

Who do we contact about this? I'm beginning to get annoyed!

Snoozypants Wed 12-Sep-12 19:44:10

I'm going too!!! Do we know venue details yet??

Yes we need to know too want to get cheap rail tickets!

MNHQ???? Shall I report myself? grin or mention a forbidden word that sets off the klaxon?

Snoozypants Wed 12-Sep-12 22:06:23

Are we gonna wear a pink carnation each or something so we know who each other is? Yes Bossy light the blue touch paper-MNHQ what the feck is going on?! confused

HelloShitty Fri 14-Sep-12 13:04:06

Hopefully everyone has got the venue info now. I PMd Patrick on Tues as I was starting to get a little worried and yay, nice and close to Euston grin. Really looking forward to this now and wondering whether to book a really naice hotel as it will be my first time away on my own for bladdy years. Definitely need a nice new notebook too...

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Sep-12 14:47:30

Hi everyone, hopefully you received my email yesterday about the venue for our forthcoming Roman History course. This is now confirmed and will take place at:

Faber and Faber, 74-77 Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DA

Looking forward to seeing you in a month.

Patrick

Snoozypants Sun 16-Sep-12 23:54:44

Errr I've double checked and I don't seem to have this email, erk! What time does it start?? Or can someone forward the email onto me please?

Snoozypants Mon 17-Sep-12 12:51:40

Thanks for forwarding Shitty! Oooh, I'm excited now!!!

BettySuarez Wed 03-Oct-12 07:26:46

I'm going too!

I get to meet Mary Beard and mumsnetters and have two grown-up days all to myself grin

Will there be food? Refreshments? Or do we bring our own?

Anyone staying in London overnight?

I am beyond excitement at the thought of HOMEWORK too!!!!!

SheelaNeGig Wed 03-Oct-12 07:35:52

envy

ClungebobSparepants Wed 03-Oct-12 07:46:05

Me too! Also very excited at all the above. Regarding food, I'm staying on my own in a hotel, so am very much hoping to go out for dinner with some Mumsnetters...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now