More stuff on The Mumsnet Academy, including follow-ups on your recent course suggestions and comments on pricing

(53 Posts)
PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-12 15:30:44

Hi there,

A couple of weeks back we started a thread announcing the new Mumsnet Academy. You gave us loads of really helpful feedback and we wanted to take this opportunity to tell you what we have been up to since then and how we have responded to your suggestions.

One of the points raised by many was the price issue. We are delighted that there are now a number of courses online at £35 - on everything from Modern Parenting with Alain de Botton to a Susan Qulliam relationship course on Keeping the Spark Alive. Let us know what you think!

We've also arranged a course on Greek History as part of what we hope will become an Ancient Civilization series. The companion course to this will feature Mary Beard: we are still working on the exact date for this one but it looks like it will be late October/early November - we'll keep you posted.

In the pipeline, too, is a course on Feminism with Kat Banyard: we're hoping to have booking details for that one ready early next week, so please keep an eye on the Academy site.

Finally, a number of you told us that you'd like some courses about DIY and car maintenance. We are in discussions about making this happen and hope to have an update soon - hopefully by early June.

As ever, please keep your course suggestions coming and let us know what you think - it is invaluable.

grumpleteaser Sun 20-May-12 20:05:30

The more online courses the better. There are a fair amount of overseas MNers as well as ones in the arse ends of nowhere in the UK!

MsMarple Sun 20-May-12 22:53:37

Oh I would LOVE to do the Ancient Greece course, but by then will have a tiny baby plus boisterous 4 year old to look after, so won't be able to make it.

Is there any chance you could record the classes, and then run online versions using videos/audio taken on the day?

upthealdi Mon 21-May-12 09:53:29

Hello PatrickMumsnet- the Greek course looks brill - do you know what area of London it will be in though?

Makes a difference if you have to travel into London and then spend an hour on the tube...will it be central London?

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-May-12 11:56:51

upthealdi

Hello PatrickMumsnet- the Greek course looks brill - do you know what area of London it will be in though?

Makes a difference if you have to travel into London and then spend an hour on the tube...will it be central London?

Hi upthealdi, thanks for the message. The course will be in Central London, I'm afraid. I really hope you can make it because I think it is going to be terrific.

Patrick

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-May-12 13:55:55

Hi there,

On Friday, we posted to say that Kat Banyard was lined to run a Mumsnet Academy course on Feminism. This course is now on the site. Check it out and let us have your thoughts.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-May-12 13:59:38

MmeLindor

Thanks, Patrick and all at MNHQ for listening to the whinging suggestions and coming up with some new courses.

The Greek history one sounds interesting, as does the Feminism one. Looking forward to seeing what else is added in the coming weeks and months.

Hi MmeLindor, the Feminism course with Kat Banyard is now online.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-May-12 14:00:20

QuintessentialShadows

There is a Patrick Mumsnet. Hurra. You are growing, and sure have kept the spark alive!

Welcome.

<clicks boots together>

Thank you for the warm welcome!

upthealdi Mon 21-May-12 14:47:30

Thanks Patrick. Central London is fine, I was just worried it would be somewhere at the end of the Northern line!

Ineedajob Mon 21-May-12 15:41:18

Hi, another plea here for online courses. There are some very farflung MNetters - we're not al in the UK. I would love 'kick up the arse to get your own blog going and here's how you do it' online course. Plleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

judybart Mon 21-May-12 17:58:30

I'd love to run an NLP for mums on the Mumsnet Academy where mums can experience how by changing how they think, what they believe they can't do (limiting beliefs) and the words they use, they can get children to do what they're asked without any stress. I'm the author of Be a happier parent with NLP and I do loads of NLP for parents workshops. I'd love to do one for Mumsnet.

lizzie2000 Mon 21-May-12 18:41:30

Why Alain de Boton? What does he know about parenting? Oliver James would have been a better choice.

Why are the 'school of life' as your selected provider - there are loads of great organisations providing parenting courses - based on years and years of practical experience of what parents need and what works. Surely Mumsnet should be working with them?

Final point the school of life is a vehicle for promoting atheism - while many Mumsnetters may share that perspective, lots of others (including me) are people of faith. As a Christian I'm really put off that Mumsnet are promoting one particular view of life, when I've always felt in the past you were there for all us mums.

Oooh, how can I get my courses listed please?

I run one-day marketing courses in London ( www.marketinginoneday.co.uk ) that help the self-employed, freelancers, small business owners, or anyone setting up in business. I've deliberately kept them affordable (but still giving me a little profit smile ) at only £99, which I think is good for what you get out of the day (and in comparison with other courses).

If they're successful, I plan to roll them out to other parts of the country too (Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Bristol, Southampton, etc).

What do I need to do to get listed?

pouk1977 Mon 21-May-12 21:18:47

I offer online elocution lessons, which I teach after 7pm (when my children are in bed!). I'd be honoured to join the Mumsnet Academy list!

Have a look at www.midwintertuition.co.uk and let me know if I can join in.

Happy to offer discount for block bookings through the Academy!

TheMarriageDevelopmentCompany Mon 21-May-12 23:29:37

Hello MNHQ and all - We offer workshops which reapply business strategy and frameworks to home life. "Smart thinking" for couples to communicate, plan, and work together better. Live F2F workshops (Saturdays in Central London) and also online workshops. Downloadable virtual workshops coming soon. Please do check us out www.TheMarriageDevelopmentCompany.com and let us know if we can join Mumsnet Academy!
Congrats on the launch.

Lisa (Co-Founder of The Marriage Development Company)
Be Together. Work Together. Grow Together.

womblenz Tue 22-May-12 08:19:11

WOW I thought this idea sounded great.....then I saw the prices, £100 to make pizza for a day..... (sorry but I had to pick something to illustrate) this seems a ludicrous price. I am sorry but the cost of getting to these courses and/or finding the time to do them and then the price of the course itself....well I just could not justify doing any of them. sad

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 11:49:45

womblenz

WOW I thought this idea sounded great.....then I saw the prices, £100 to make pizza for a day..... (sorry but I had to pick something to illustrate) this seems a ludicrous price. I am sorry but the cost of getting to these courses and/or finding the time to do them and then the price of the course itself....well I just could not justify doing any of them. sad

Hi womblenz, thanks for your message. We are offering courses at different price points and in line with what we think is reasonable given certain fixed costs involved. To use the example of the pizza making course, it is for an adult (plus child) and includes tuition, all ingredients and lunch. Some of our courses start at £35 and we are hoping to offer more of these as the programme develops.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 11:51:31

TheMarriageDevelopmentCompany

Hello MNHQ and all - We offer workshops which reapply business strategy and frameworks to home life. "Smart thinking" for couples to communicate, plan, and work together better. Live F2F workshops (Saturdays in Central London) and also online workshops. Downloadable virtual workshops coming soon. Please do check us out www.TheMarriageDevelopmentCompany.com and let us know if we can join Mumsnet Academy!
Congrats on the launch.

Lisa (Co-Founder of The Marriage Development Company)
Be Together. Work Together. Grow Together.

Sounds great. Email us at academy@mumsnet.com

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 22-May-12 11:52:12

pouk1977

I offer online elocution lessons, which I teach after 7pm (when my children are in bed!). I'd be honoured to join the Mumsnet Academy list!

Have a look at www.midwintertuition.co.uk and let me know if I can join in.

Happy to offer discount for block bookings through the Academy!

Sounds interesting, please email us at academy@mumsnet.com

the marriage development company? someone pass me a bucket

Novstar Thu 24-May-12 13:37:07

Hi MNHQ, I'm very interested in the AdB parenting course but location just says "London" and I'm worried it'll be somewhere awkward to get to. Where in London will it be?

alto Wed 27-Jun-12 12:55:43

Anyone interested in parenting skills for families with an autistic child? I run training sessions for Norland Nannies on autism and Asperger Syndrome and would be keen to run workshops for parents. I am a special needs teacher with 5 children - two of whom are autistic so I do have the inside track!!

Tanee58 Wed 27-Jun-12 14:33:54

Can you tell us how many places there are on the Romans course?

bestemor Tue 24-Jul-12 11:55:56

Please please give the location right at the start; it's so frustrating to read all about a interesting-sounding course, only to find after several more clicks that it's the other end of the country!

We're not all jet-setters like you, you know!

(and whereabouts in London is vital too - it's big place and most of us don't have loads of leisure time.)

Ktmacfie Tue 11-Dec-12 10:15:31

Hi, I'm looking for a good swimming course near Putney for a baby. We joined Aquatots but have just moved to London and looking for reputable lessons here. Any ideas?

natbell Tue 11-Dec-12 19:20:50

Hi everyone, we are offering interior design short part-time day courses for beginners for those who want to prepare for a career in interior design, or just use their new-found knowledge to transform their own home.
Suitable for beginners - those who have little or no knowledge of the subject.
Duration: One day per week for 8 weeks (9.30-12.30).
Start date: Thursday 17 January 2013.
Transport - 5 minutes walk from Potters Bar Mainline Train Station which is a 10 minute journey from Finsbury Park station and 15 minutes journey time from London King's Cross mainline station. Car parking available.
Bookings through www.brightspacedesign.com or call 01707 552560. Christmas 20% discount available until 31 Dec 2012 when you book by telephone or email us at info@brightspacedesign.com. Quote reference BSD12.
We hope we can be a valuable part of Mumsnet Academy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now