More stuff on The Mumsnet Academy, including follow-ups on your recent course suggestions and comments on pricing

(53 Posts)
PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-12 15:30:44

Hi there,

A couple of weeks back we started a thread announcing the new Mumsnet Academy. You gave us loads of really helpful feedback and we wanted to take this opportunity to tell you what we have been up to since then and how we have responded to your suggestions.

One of the points raised by many was the price issue. We are delighted that there are now a number of courses online at £35 - on everything from Modern Parenting with Alain de Botton to a Susan Qulliam relationship course on Keeping the Spark Alive. Let us know what you think!

We've also arranged a course on Greek History as part of what we hope will become an Ancient Civilization series. The companion course to this will feature Mary Beard: we are still working on the exact date for this one but it looks like it will be late October/early November - we'll keep you posted.

In the pipeline, too, is a course on Feminism with Kat Banyard: we're hoping to have booking details for that one ready early next week, so please keep an eye on the Academy site.

Finally, a number of you told us that you'd like some courses about DIY and car maintenance. We are in discussions about making this happen and hope to have an update soon - hopefully by early June.

As ever, please keep your course suggestions coming and let us know what you think - it is invaluable.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Fri 18-May-12 16:19:39

Thanks for the update! Sounds very positive. Off to check out the online courses now.

klaxon Fri 18-May-12 17:05:23

Is there one on 'killing the spark so there are no more children, guaranteed' please? grin

DameHermione Fri 18-May-12 17:27:22

Mary Beard? Hurrah! <<starts saving>>

DameHermione Fri 18-May-12 17:29:43

That greek linky says 22nd september. I cant do 22nd september as im off on a jolly that week.

DameHermione Fri 18-May-12 17:30:01

Looks good though

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 18-May-12 19:58:45

Hmm. A grand total of one course in scotland...

Harr1etJ0nes Fri 18-May-12 20:16:36

Only one in Manchester & one in Birmingham too.

BornSicky Fri 18-May-12 20:55:54

all sounds good, but online courses, please?

I'm in the arse end of nowhere and all of the fixed locations are hours and hours away for me. Even if you made Bristol a location, I'd still be 2.5 - 3hrs away. Why does the West Country always get forgotten?

fivegomadindorset Fri 18-May-12 20:57:50

Where would you like me to send the map of Great Britain and Northern Ireland too?

Yes the geographical locations are very limited! Huge swathes of the country are 3+hours away. Too far away!

blondieminx Fri 18-May-12 21:24:54

Ooh my mum teaches greek and we both think Mary is brilliant... My DM's birthday is in November so perfect timing! Can't wait for more details smile

just hoping the 'keeping the spark alive' isn't of the same ilk as the mumsnet advice on surviving affairs shock grin sorry.

will have a gander.

hmm all very mumsy again apart from the business one which is essentially 6hrs minus shuffling time which will be plenty with all the in and out for breaks and 'networking'. doesn't say how many places there are on a course - that's an important fact in assessing the worth of a course re: how big the group will be.

LynnCSchreiber Fri 18-May-12 23:16:32

Thanks, Patrick and all at MNHQ for listening to the whinging suggestions and coming up with some new courses.

The Greek history one sounds interesting, as does the Feminism one. Looking forward to seeing what else is added in the coming weeks and months.

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Fri 18-May-12 23:25:29

Bornsicky - I also am in the westcountry! I agree with you wholeheartedly!

i must have only seen one page or something. will look again.

coppertop Fri 18-May-12 23:34:38

I know it's juvenile of me but you might want to reconsider the sentence about places for the "Keeping the Spark Alive" course being on a "first come basis". grin

Please be a bit more north than edinburgh. There are intelligent educated women up here too. Honest.

HelloShitty Sat 19-May-12 12:27:21

When you click on 'book now' for the Ancient Greece course, it comes up as the Creative Writing:Writing your first novel course. I really want to book, but don't want to book the wrong one!

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 19-May-12 13:02:45

HelloShitty

When you click on 'book now' for the Ancient Greece course, it comes up as the Creative Writing:Writing your first novel course. I really want to book, but don't want to book the wrong one!

Hi there, I'm so sorry about this ? I have fixed the link and you can book now!

I'm pleased you like the course.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 19-May-12 13:03:33

coppertop

I know it's juvenile of me but you might want to reconsider the sentence about places for the "Keeping the Spark Alive" course being on a "first come basis". grin

Hi coppertop, haha!

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 19-May-12 13:12:17

BornSicky

all sounds good, but online courses, please?

I'm in the arse end of nowhere and all of the fixed locations are hours and hours away for me. Even if you made Bristol a location, I'd still be 2.5 - 3hrs away. Why does the West Country always get forgotten?

Hi BornSicky, there are more online courses in the pipe. There is, however, already an online course on the Academy site called Be Your Own Boss, which we hope you like.

And we haven't forgotten the West Country.

There is a Patrick Mumsnet. Hurra. You are growing, and sure have kept the spark alive!

Welcome.

<clicks boots together>

EatsBrainsAndLeaves Sun 20-May-12 12:53:07

Glad you have listened to our whinging suggestions. Feminism, Greek course and involvement of Mary Beard all sound great. I would be interested in the car maintenance one too - garage bills saved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now