We are launching a new Mumsnet Academy thing - please check it out and let us know your thoughts...

(273 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 10:20:36

Hi all,

We're very excited to be launching The Mumsnet Academy - a brand new enterprise to bring you a rolling programme of fantastic courses, aimed to fit around family commitments and busy working lives.

A while back we asked you what courses you would like and the programme of masterclasses, workshops, and events we've come up with is a reflection of your responses.

To help us deliver the programme we have enlisted some top talent (eg David Nicholls, Tom Aikens, Joanna Briscoe, Alain de Botton) as well as teaming up with some great partners with a reputation for delivering high-quality, life-changing courses (eg School of Life, The Faber Academy, School for Start Ups).

We plan to offer a programme across a range of different subjects including entrepreneurship, business, technology, social media, blogging, history of art, creative writing, publishing, gardening, philosophy, finance, fashion as well as courses concerned with self-improvement and the concept of learning to live wisely and well. Some of these courses will be skill-based, while others will explore concepts, theory and ideas.

If we've missed something you think is a must, fear not, we will be adding classes to our portfolio all the time so please drop Patrick (who's in charge of the Academy) a line at academy@mumsnet.com or post your thoughts here.

One of the things that we felt was important was to ensure our Academy courses are available across the UK and so we will be running events in Birmingham, Edinburgh and London from day one. We are also keen to develop some online courses and hope to announce the first of these later this year.

Courses have been scheduled at times which are more convenient for those with young children but they are absolutely open to everyone - so tell your DPs, your work colleagues, your grannies about it - they'd also make great gifts grin.

Ultimately, the aim of the Mumsnet Academy is to bring Mumsnetters and friends together in a thought-provoking and fulfilling environment to explore ideas, develop skills, and learn from experts as well from each other.

Anyway, take a look. We view this very much as a work in progress and will be adapting and tinkering according to your feedback and what works and what doesn't, so all comments are welcome and PatrickMumsnet will be monitoring this thread to answer any questions.

Plus, there's a discount of 15% available to Mumsnetters on all our opening courses, so feel free to book!

DaisyMaisyJessicaEmily Fri 04-May-12 15:49:56

Also agree with previous poster, use the fantastically skilled Mners you have right under your nose - TikTok is a fabulous example.

Indith Fri 04-May-12 16:01:31

"use the fantastically skilled Mners you have right under your nose - TikTok is a fabulous example."

Nice idea in theory but 1) they would have to want to do it, many have jobs etc so might not want to/be able to use their spare time or holiday days to run a course. Plus running it for the first time takes a LOT of prep time and 2) just because someone is fantastic in their area does not mean they are a good teacher.

And I'd like to stick up a leetle bit for MN with the lack of courses in other places, these are only the ones on offer now, you can't have every course running within striking distance of every part of the country all of the time. I'd like to think that MN would remember that we are not all in London and run courses ina wide variety of areas over the course of the year. Maybe the same/similar course could travel around MN? Obviously this might involve different teachers in different areas but might be nice to take ones that prove particulaly popular around the country a bit so we all get a look in. If you had a good set up for that you'd be able to use a good variety of venues.

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:01:56

It seems to me that everything you have done is wrong.

I suggest you take yourselves outside and shoot each other.

After you have set up daisy chain making for beginners for 50p in the Outer Hebs.

Tee2072 Fri 04-May-12 16:02:27

I confess I haven't even looked yet, but I hope MN remembers that Northern Ireland is also part of the UK....

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:02:41

And now I've stuck up for you I want a free go with ol Alain. Don't mind what he goes on about.

DaisyMaisyJessicaEmily Fri 04-May-12 16:03:14

Well they did ask for feedback and say all comments were welcome wink

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:04:06

Yes, but perhaps such a barage of malcontent was a little unexpected...

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:04:16

barrage?

Tee2072 Fri 04-May-12 16:04:57

Oh please Hully, MNHQ is well aware what we're like. grin

That Entrepreneur one sounds good...if it wasn't in London.

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:06:55

Oh please Hully, MNHQ is well aware what we're like

what? moany ol gits..?!

Good idea but for me it wouldn't fit around my family & work committments if it meant travelling to one of three places in the UK - the closest is three hours away for me and travel costs would add £££ to the cost of the course, however good value it is.

On that basis I don't really see how it can compete with going to a local college or Adult Ed centre for whatever training you want. That's without considering the alternate option of online training.

Sorry to sound so negative BTW!

Tee2072 Fri 04-May-12 16:20:59

Yes, Hully! Exactly that. Have you ever seen the boards when they make one small change? Even if the font size goes up or down 1 point, the boards explode!

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 16:24:07

oh yes Tee, there is that.

SilverMachine Fri 04-May-12 16:38:07

I'm looking forward to the online courses, as again distance and price would put me off the existing courses (as lovely as they all sound)

I'd be interested in self improvement courses, style and beauty and maybe creative writing. Practical courses such as cooking or interior design on a budget would be useful as well.

I'd love to go on a plumbing course.

Will you be seeking ILA accreditation?

<ILA in place here>

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 16:51:56

Tee2072

Oh please Hully, MNHQ is well aware what we're like. grin

That Entrepreneur one sounds good...if it wasn't in London.

Hi Tee, I'm pleased you like the look of the Entrepreneur course. The plan is to do this around the country so please do keep an eye on the Academy page.

BIWItheBold Fri 04-May-12 17:02:01

But Hully - you're moaning at us moaning. So you're a moany old scroat as well.

grin

I think this is a brilliant idea - and look forward to seeing the full range of courses ultimately available. Presumably with a full range of prices too!

Some of these would make great gifts too. My DH bought me a lesson at the Mosimann's school, which was very similar to the Tom Aiken day - culminated in lunch at his restaurant which was fab. (Although I think you need to make it really clear what the buyer will get out of it. I would pay for the writing course, if I felt it was really giving me proper, one-to-one tuition, or similar for a cookery course. But if the Tom Aiken course is anything like the one I went on, it was really just an elaborate cookery demonstration, with the odd request to chop an onion or break an egg, followed by a lovely lunch.)

Whilst some courses could be provided by the lesser known, actually I think there is a lot of merit in being taught by someone with a name for their skill/craft.

SpiritOfTheSite Fri 04-May-12 17:02:48

Agree with AliceHurled. Very much so.

Hullygully Fri 04-May-12 17:11:34

It's completely different BIWI
Completely

Tsk

BIWItheBold Fri 04-May-12 17:14:16

Acksherly - how do you spell scroat? Is it scroat or is it scrote? I realise I don't actually know what one of them is.

A scroat sounds like some kind of furry, aquatic mammal; a scrote sounds like something testicular.

LadyWithEDS Fri 04-May-12 17:17:09

I like the choice of courses, I think that the price you are charging for the courses you are offering are very pricey. I did a weekly course for a whole academic term at my local college for three hours a week and got a minor RHS qualification for far less than the price of your gardening design course, I am in shock at the price shock you are charging, and you charge the same in London and outside London.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 17:19:17

BIWItheBold

Acksherly - how do you spell scroat? Is it scroat or is it scrote? I realise I don't actually know what one of them is.

A scroat sounds like some kind of furry, aquatic mammal; a scrote sounds like something testicular.

Maybe we should have a spelling course?

GentleOtter Fri 04-May-12 17:21:40

<throws in sheep clipping and making moonshine. poaching at night > Perthshire
Certificate in Rural Pursuits.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Fri 04-May-12 17:25:33

Crikey at the prices.

Isn't this just MN being an agency for existing courses?

So you take 10% for each booking which comes through MN? Which is fine, I don't mind you running a business...

But they're not for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now