We are launching a new Mumsnet Academy thing - please check it out and let us know your thoughts...

(273 Posts)
JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 10:20:36

Hi all,

We're very excited to be launching The Mumsnet Academy - a brand new enterprise to bring you a rolling programme of fantastic courses, aimed to fit around family commitments and busy working lives.

A while back we asked you what courses you would like and the programme of masterclasses, workshops, and events we've come up with is a reflection of your responses.

To help us deliver the programme we have enlisted some top talent (eg David Nicholls, Tom Aikens, Joanna Briscoe, Alain de Botton) as well as teaming up with some great partners with a reputation for delivering high-quality, life-changing courses (eg School of Life, The Faber Academy, School for Start Ups).

We plan to offer a programme across a range of different subjects including entrepreneurship, business, technology, social media, blogging, history of art, creative writing, publishing, gardening, philosophy, finance, fashion as well as courses concerned with self-improvement and the concept of learning to live wisely and well. Some of these courses will be skill-based, while others will explore concepts, theory and ideas.

If we've missed something you think is a must, fear not, we will be adding classes to our portfolio all the time so please drop Patrick (who's in charge of the Academy) a line at academy@mumsnet.com or post your thoughts here.

One of the things that we felt was important was to ensure our Academy courses are available across the UK and so we will be running events in Birmingham, Edinburgh and London from day one. We are also keen to develop some online courses and hope to announce the first of these later this year.

Courses have been scheduled at times which are more convenient for those with young children but they are absolutely open to everyone - so tell your DPs, your work colleagues, your grannies about it - they'd also make great gifts grin.

Ultimately, the aim of the Mumsnet Academy is to bring Mumsnetters and friends together in a thought-provoking and fulfilling environment to explore ideas, develop skills, and learn from experts as well from each other.

Anyway, take a look. We view this very much as a work in progress and will be adapting and tinkering according to your feedback and what works and what doesn't, so all comments are welcome and PatrickMumsnet will be monitoring this thread to answer any questions.

Plus, there's a discount of 15% available to Mumsnetters on all our opening courses, so feel free to book!

Fabulous idea but most of the prices look too much for me sad

Indith Fri 04-May-12 10:31:21

Some fun looking courses, I'd love some of the cooking ones, especially the family ones, near me!

Would it be possible to put location as part of the title of the course so you don't have to click on "more" for each one in the list? A couple have it but the rest don't.

Indith Fri 04-May-12 10:32:56

Yes cost is a bit much. Lookig at the family baking for example, there is a lady who does cupcake decorating with children around here. I could pretty mcuh get her to come and do a morning with the whole school for that price!

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 10:33:10

YouveCatToBeKittenMe

Fabulous idea but most of the prices look too much for me sad

Hi YouveCatToBeKittenMe - thanks for the great feedback. There will be some less expensive courses available (we've tried hard to create a good range of different price points) - some of which will start at £35. Keep looking at the Academy page for news of the latest stuff.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 10:34:11

Indith

Some fun looking courses, I'd love some of the cooking ones, especially the family ones, near me!

Would it be possible to put location as part of the title of the course so you don't have to click on "more" for each one in the list? A couple have it but the rest don't.

Thanks, that's a great suggestion - will look into doing that.

Good idea, but some outside London? Or online?

I'll arrange you a surfing course grin

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 11:41:53

saintlyjimjams

Good idea, but some outside London? Or online?

I'll arrange you a surfing course grin

Hi there saintlyjimjams, thanks for the message. There are already a couple of courses available outside of London (Birmingham and Edinburgh) and more coming soon. Also, we'll be piloting an online course in the next few months, so keep an eye on the Academy page.

BumptiousandBustly Fri 04-May-12 11:48:03

i would LOVE to do some of those cookery courses - but what gets me is the price. sad

What annoys me is that they throw in lots of extras (breakfast, pastrys, organic wines, lunch etc) - can't you leave all that out, and charge a lot less for the course - thats actually what we are there for!

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Fri 04-May-12 11:51:36

Some in the south west please! And by that I don't mean Bristol. Exeter would've good for me, or even Plymouth for those who live at the Cornwall end of the peninsula. I'd like a course on how to make my own changing bag!grin

coppertop Fri 04-May-12 12:04:23

The courses look good but are too expensive for me.

£100 to spend a day making pasta?

<faints>

nickiminja Fri 04-May-12 12:07:05

I can't believe the prices. Our family holiday was a £100 chalet for a wet week in Yarmouth, there is no way I could afford these.
Sorry but it all seems a bit elitist

Hey MNHQ I need to see 'you will get a certificate to say you can cook a bun' or at least a sticker. A lot of the people you'll get going to these are people hoping to return to work soon, surely something which they could add to their CV without looking like yummy mummies would be worthwhile. smile

BIWItheBold Fri 04-May-12 12:18:25

There's not much notice of the start times, is there?! My work diary is already booked up further than some of those courses.

Can you give us some idea of when the next ones might be - to give us a chance to plan for them/save up for them?

(Agree, they look a bit pricey as well - the Tom Aikens one is £199 for what is actually only 2.5 hours of teaching)

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 12:21:55

nickiminja

I can't believe the prices. Our family holiday was a £100 chalet for a wet week in Yarmouth, there is no way I could afford these.
Sorry but it all seems a bit elitist

Hi nickiminja, thanks for the comment. Some of the courses are going to be far less expensive and details of these should be up on the Academy page next week so don't write us off just yet. Some will invariably be a bit more pricey and compared to similar offerings we are pretty much in line. Also, we want our courses to be really good which means getting great people and that sometimes comes at a price. Take the point on board though.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 12:26:29

whomovedmychocolate

Hey MNHQ I need to see 'you will get a certificate to say you can cook a bun' or at least a sticker. A lot of the people you'll get going to these are people hoping to return to work soon, surely something which they could add to their CV without looking like yummy mummies would be worthwhile. smile

Thanks whomovedmychocolate for the message about receiving a certificate. It's an interesting point and we'll look into it.

Attn Justine - if you suggest a course instead of submitting it it reloads the search page - are you aware of this. Either that or you just got my (very slightly tongue in cheek) suggestion and then it reloaded the search, I don't blinking know.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 12:36:59

whomovedmychocolate

Attn Justine - if you suggest a course instead of submitting it it reloads the search page - are you aware of this. Either that or you just got my (very slightly tongue in cheek) suggestion and then it reloaded the search, I don't blinking know.

Hello whomoved. Yep, we've seen that - we're going to add in a "thanks for submitting your suggestion" pop-up or summat.

We did get your suggestion - thank you.

I really think some reasonably priced online courses would be welcome. It's not just the cost of the course, but taking days off work, finding someone to watch kids, accommodation if necessary, transport will probably double those prices more most people!

coppertop Fri 04-May-12 12:56:50

Small typo I know, but on the Suggest A Course section it asks if there's a course you'd "live" to try. grin

HeathRobinson Fri 04-May-12 13:00:13

I've looked at your course page several times now and I just can't get past 'Upcoming Courses'. Sounds so American.

Sorry.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 13:15:18

coppertop

Small typo I know, but on the Suggest A Course section it asks if there's a course you'd "live" to try. grin

Nice spot, thakn you! grin

EauRouge Fri 04-May-12 13:15:41

I think this is a fab idea, I have some constructive criticism for you:

Yes, they are very expensive. I will have to email some suggestions for courses because I'm not really interested in any of those- the choice at the moment is a bit Stepford limited, I'd love to see other practical skills like woodwork and metalwork, car maintenance and some self-sufficiency type courses.

More choice of locations would be good too, I realise that this will improve with time though.

And a certificate would be nice, especially if you pay several hundred pounds for a course.

PatrickMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-May-12 13:18:08

HeathRobinson

I've looked at your course page several times now and I just can't get past 'Upcoming Courses'. Sounds so American.

Sorry.

You are right, it doesn't sound right. We are going to change it. Thank you for posting.

I looked at the beginner's writing course. It is £299 shock
I do think that is a bit much for a 'beginner's' course, what if I am crap at it grin
Also is that particular course only half a day long? As you won't learn much in that space of time really. confused
I could eat afternoon tea at the Ritz cheaper than that and have spare money to buy a book hmm grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now