What have we done? 2yo twins + 4 week old

(10 Posts)
Tftpoo Fri 29-Apr-16 13:45:09

It's my first day at home with my three without DH. It all started to go wrong when everyone woke up before 5am. Cue horribly overtired toddlers by 10am. They went to bed for a nap without having any lunch (I made lunch but they were too tired/having too big a tantrum to eat it). They wrestle each other all the time which causes huge arguments, injuries and tears. One twin is taking out his frustration at having a new sibling on the other - biting, pushing, pinching. I don't know what to do wth them - I separate them and 5 seconds later they're on top of each other again. Their attention span is about 5 mins, not long enough to feed the baby. Every activity requires constant supervision otherwise it descends into chaos and violence.

It's only the first day! How am I going to manage the next 11 months of mat leave?Any advice/tips welcome!

starpatch Fri 29-Apr-16 18:54:49

Think there is stuff on you tube about breastfeeding baby in ring sling might be worth a try

Want2bSupermum Fri 29-Apr-16 19:04:30

My first 2 are 18 months apart. I now have 3 DC, ages 4, 3 and 4 weeks. Baby is in a carrier and bottle fed. The elder two are on a schedule. I am rarely home when they are not at school. I take all 3 to the library, play dates, the park and kid museum. I am driving DH mad by every single day being planned out. He was in effect a singleton as his sister is 13 years older than him. Single kid, you can get away with not making plans. With 2 or more you need a plan, a prayer and ideally a second pair of hands.

Also helps to have all food made and the diaper bag packed the night before.

Tftpoo Fri 29-Apr-16 19:38:03

Thanks both. I have a Close a Caboo carrier for the baby which is brilliant but I haven't worked out how to feed in it yet - I'll make it my project for the weekend. I agree with the need to plan - I think today was so bad because we didn't have a planned activity or group to go to. We went out to the park and shops but I they're so much better behaved when we're out at groups of other people's house. They do two days a week at nursery and apparently they don't fight or wrestle at all there, they just save their worst for me it seems!

SummerHouse Fri 29-Apr-16 19:45:53

Sounds to me like you are doing amazingly! High five yourself for just getting through the day. Also sounds like you know what will help. Do you have any family or friends who can do anything? Take any offers. Enjoy any moments you can. Twins are known for rough play as they are equally matched. This will only get easier. flowers and brew and wine

neversleepagain Fri 29-Apr-16 20:12:53

Oh god, no advice just sympathy! You are a brave woman.

My twins are 3.7 and I would dare have anymore. Best of luck!

MotheringShites Fri 29-Apr-16 20:24:08

Not much to add but sympathy. My twins were 2.8 when DS2 was born. It's a bit of a blur actually! On the great side they're now 7 (x2) and 5 and are a fantastic team. I love the fact that none of them will remember a time when there weren't three.

Tftpoo Sat 30-Apr-16 10:47:37

Thanks for the tips and sympathy. I knew it was going to be hard but yesterday was harder than I thought it would be. DH has taken the twins out this morning to work off some energy so hopefully we will have a more relaxed day today! I don't have family close but my parents are coming up for a couple of days next week so I will have some help.

I feel guilty about moaning as it was me who really wanted a third child. I feel like I can't say anything to DH about it though because although he'd never say it out loud, I'm sure inside he's thinking 'I told you so'. He adores our DD and the DTs and is an absolutely fantastic dad to all three but he would have stopped at 2 if it wasn't for me wanting a third.

Want2bSupermum Sat 30-Apr-16 19:06:59

Please do not feel guilty. It's always hard when things change. Adding another child is always a challenge.

My savior when it snows is Bo on the go. It's on netflix here in the US. I force my kids to run on the spot to 'give Bo energy'. It might be an idea to do the same when you are feeding the baby.

Cadenza1818 Wed 18-May-16 17:56:58

Hey no major advice but just offering support. Had same as you. First 6 months of 3 ds life an utter blur! It will get easier and im in a really funstage now where they all get on. It's worth the initial craziness of three under 3 I promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now