first pregnancy twins

(16 Posts)
twindani12 Sun 17-May-15 15:55:09

Anyone any advice, trying to eat well but probably eating all the wrong kind of stuff nervous as obviously want my twins to be healthy and wud rather not have to stay in hospital smile

thingamajig Sun 17-May-15 16:00:31

Congratulations, twins are great, hard work but worth it. How far along are you?

twindani12 Sun 17-May-15 16:02:00

I'm 24 weeks today, really starting to get nervous but excited I'm just praying everything will go ok, thanks for ur congratulations do u have twins??

thingamajig Sun 17-May-15 16:19:38

Yes, they are 4 now and of to school in September. I'm sure everything will be fine, are they mono- or di-zygotic. You should start to get lots of scans soon, is there anything specific that you are wondering about?

twindani12 Sun 17-May-15 16:29:01

My twins are non identical and just the whole birthing process I think I'd rather have c section and hope they can come home asap, I have a scan on Thursday, I just hope they will have enough weight on them when they arrive, how many weeks were u when you had urs if u don't mind me asking?

SoonToBeSix Sun 17-May-15 16:32:08

Congratulations, I have twins and had a natural birth. It was honestly no different than giving birth to my singletons other than 6 mins later out came another baby smile

SoonToBeSix Sun 17-May-15 16:33:57

My advice would be rest and get as much help as possible. Expect to go on maternity earlier than the norm for singleton pregnancies.

twindani12 Sun 17-May-15 17:07:48

Aww congrats and how many weeks wer u when u had ur twins if u don't mind me asking? Cud u take them home more or less straight away? I'm so excited but just nervous, it's hard to rest as it's hard to get comfy, I have 2 more months to work then I will go off if I can make it till then, are ur twins identical

2015isgoingtobeBIG Sun 17-May-15 19:25:19

I'm a first time mum with 2.5 week old twins. I had a section after twin one (the lower twin) was breach so a natural delivery was out of the question. I was in hospital for five days as the smaller twin was verging on needing treatment for jaundice (common in small babies). I gave birth at 36w4d and had my little girl not needed extra monitoring could have gone home after 3 days. Tbh I was glad to stay in the extra two days as you get so much support in hospital with establishing feeding that had I come home earlier I would have been floundering on my own. As it was the first two nights at home were horrendously tough but at least I knew what I was aiming for having got into a routine of sorts in hospital.
I personally wouldn't worry too much about the mode of delivery right now because there are so many unknowns between now and then and in my experience the medics don't discuss birth options until much later. May I ask why you're so keen to go home so quickly after the birth?

SoonToBeSix Sun 17-May-15 23:05:37

Twindani thanks smile I went into labour spontaneously at 34 weeks. My twin girls spent three weeks in special care. However they were identical and had issues with TAPS.
Many twins come later and do not need as long/ any time in SCBU so go home earlier.

Ponyboycurtis Sun 17-May-15 23:13:00

Evening, another mum of twins here, mine are 6 & Identical girls. Had an elective c - section at 38+2 weeks, girls came straight on the ward with me weighing 5lb & 5.8lb. They were brilliant then and their brilliant now! I was scanned every other week during pregnancy which was OK, tricky sometimes with work but they were very good at letting me have time off etc.
All I would say is enjoy it, if they are your first you have nothing to compare it to, so it's no more daunting then being a first time parent to one, hope that helps.

twindani12 Mon 18-May-15 03:33:04

I'm in no rush to go home just want my twins to be healthy, and I know it's early for me to be thinking bout the births but I'm sure it'll arrive quicker than I think, and I just want to have thought bout things, did everyone have a good appetite while carrying the twins I don't seem to have a great appetite and the stuff I do eat I feel its not the best to be eating, I have a scan every 4 weeks at the moment my next one is on Thursday,

Redrosie77 Mon 18-May-15 11:41:05

Hi Twindani, congratulations on your pregnancy. Expecting twins is exciting and daunting all at the same time I've found. I'm currently 35+3 with non identical twins and these are my first children. I have spent most of my pregnancy quite anxious but at 35 weeks I'm feeling much calmer. I'd say just try and enjoy and don't stress too much about eating the 'right' things, just eat what you feel like as there will be days when you just can't eat much. I had my final hospital appointment and scan this morning, which was weird, next time I'm there the twins will be on their way! I agree with others you can't plan too much and you will need to finish work earlier. I worked until 33 weeks and that was enough for me, even though I had a fairly low impact office job. At 35 weeks I'm really struggling moving around much and find just climbing the stairs takes it out of me (or maybe I'm just really unfit��). Good luck!

twindani12 Mon 18-May-15 12:54:53

Aww congrats bet ur well excited now hope all goes well, do you know the gender of them? I'm 24 weeks now and already struggling with the weight can't hardly put my socks and shoes on, I'm a post lady so my job is quite physical but I have been inside just sorting out mail, for the last few months, smile

Redrosie77 Mon 18-May-15 22:25:44

Evening, I'm having boy/girl twins and now starting to get excited to meet them. Seems weird to know they'll definitely be here any time in the next 2.5 weeks - eek! I moved to slip on shoes a few weeks back, trying to do my laces proved a real challenge, just a pain when it rains as I've been living in my Birkenstocks for a while. Glad to hear you've not been out delivering the mail twindani as that would be exhausting, I think you'll be in back office duties only from now on. Do you know what you're having or are you waiting? Good luck with the scan this week.

twindani12 Tue 19-May-15 00:05:48

Yea back office duties for me but my size is causing me to struggle now, think I'll have to invest in a pair of slip on shoes smile yea I'm having two boys, I can't wait, wish u well with ur twins!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now