How long was your stay in hospital after c section?

(23 Posts)
Slebmum Mon 24-Feb-14 10:52:14

Emergency section at 10pm Monday, home at lunchtime Wednesday.

KnackeredCow Sun 23-Feb-14 20:33:50

15 nights, but I had severe pre-eclampsia and DTs were in transitional care with me. I was well enough to go home after 11.

ceeveebee Fri 21-Feb-14 20:31:35

We were in 7 nights but thats because DD was in SCBU and DS was a bit jaundiced. Think they would have discharged DS and me after 5 nights but they were kind and let us stay together.

rainbowsmakemesmile Thu 20-Feb-14 19:53:40

Babies born 8pm Wed, and home 5pm Friday

chocolatedrops31 Wed 19-Feb-14 23:01:29

Thanks everyone-really helpful!

andadietcoke Wed 19-Feb-14 21:21:55

6 nights, but that was because my pg-induced hypertension didn't stabilise. I self-discharged in the end; dread to think how long I'd have been in there if I hadn't. At home the next day my BP was magically fine (I think also have white coat hypertension).

Sorry, I digress. Babies were born on the Thursday, pre-op I was told the earliest I could go was the Saturday but would probably be more like the Sunday.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 21:17:50

2 nights with both.
Mid afternoon c sections with both.
So I suppose about 36 hours.
1st was cat 1 emergency cs under ga, 2nd failed vbac.

Teds77 Wed 19-Feb-14 21:17:37

Just to add my DTs were born in the evening and I didn't get to the post natal ward till around 11pm. If they had been born earlier in the day I'm fairly sure 2 nights would have been enough for me.

TheMumsRush Wed 19-Feb-14 21:17:07

I had a level 5 blood loss after an emcs followed by an infection but insisted on going home so only 2 nights

Teds77 Wed 19-Feb-14 21:14:38

I had a emcs after a failed induction but in reality probably my experience was very similar to a elcs. DTs were 38 weekers with no complications and they were discharged within 24 hours (but obviously stayed with me). I could have gone home after two nights but stayed in for three to get more help with feeding DTS who had tongue tie and was struggling to latch.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Wed 19-Feb-14 20:43:23

6 nights for me - due to some complications I was very unwell after. NCT friends who had c sections at the same time were both in 2 nights, which is the norm.

Twicethehugs Wed 19-Feb-14 20:37:41

5 nights but that was after emergency CS under general anaesthetic with twins in SCBU so we all left hospital at the same time.

redspottydress Wed 19-Feb-14 20:21:57

Five nights dts emcs;2 nights dd elcs.

BobPatSamandIgglePiggle Wed 19-Feb-14 20:21:28

3 nights - they'd have let me out after 2 but ds was in nicu and I wanted to be close by and they were quiet.

They offered to let me stay longer but I didnt want to take the piss. As soon as I got home I wish I'd stayed - only because ds had to stay in.

They wanted you to do 2 big wees with the catheter out and a poo before they'd discharge at my hospital.

Mrswellyboot Wed 19-Feb-14 20:18:27

Four nights so five days in total. They would have letme out on day three but I was in a lot of pain still.

SweetieTime Wed 19-Feb-14 20:16:08

I had DTs 9 weeks ago by planned c-section. I was in 2 nights as no complications with me or DTs. Although I did get re-admitted a few days later due to disturbed vision caused by eclampsia and was in for another 2 nights.

NewJobNewLife Wed 19-Feb-14 19:40:35

Two nights for me, though they were happy for me to stay longer if I ha wanted to.

I didn't feel physically capable of going home until towards the end of day two (birth on Wednesday morning, home Friday evening).

MolotovCocktail Wed 19-Feb-14 19:08:53

Mine was not a multiple birth, but we stayed for 2 nights. I was glad to do so; was also VERY ready to come home as I missed dd1 and dh.

4 nights, they would have let me stay longer as twins were in SCBU but I wanted my own bed.

YomAsalYomBasal Wed 19-Feb-14 18:03:06

5 nights but mainly because dts were having a few problems.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Wed 19-Feb-14 15:32:16

I was there 8 nights with my twins (though I do wonder if they were being nice letting me stay longer as one of them was in SCBU...really I probably was fine to go after 3-4 nights)

Showy Wed 19-Feb-14 15:30:52

Average is 2 nights. Earliest they recommend is day 2 with day 1 being the day of the op.

I stayed for 12hrs with dd and 36hrs with ds. Depends on many factors.

chocolatedrops31 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:28:34

I'm due to have a c section for twins and I was told by the doctors that i would be in for 2 nights (assuming there are no complications). However within the hospital leaflet it says most stays are 4 nights?? I wondered if anyone has experience of this or if it just varies according to the hospital? I want to be out as early as possible as I don't want to be away from my 2 year old for too long...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now