Those whose twins were delivered at 32 weeks

(17 Posts)
Melonbreath Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57:58

Congratulations! I hope they continue to do well and go home with you asap

SarahPatricia Wed 19-Feb-14 12:57:08

Congratulations thanks

mrssmith79 Sat 15-Feb-14 15:41:42

Congratulations!!! Lovely news - and what a lovely day to be born!

Expectingtwins1975 Sat 15-Feb-14 15:39:27

Congratulations!!!

MorningTimes Sat 15-Feb-14 13:05:19

Congratulations, I'm glad they are doing well flowers

Congratulations smile Lovely news smile

moonblues Sat 15-Feb-14 10:23:36

Congratulations! Glad to hear they're both doing well.

Chuddy3 Sat 15-Feb-14 10:17:10

Hi ladies just wanted to let you know that the twins arrived yesterday morning, valentines day, at 32+6 days. They weighed 3 lbs 2 ozs and 3 lbs 7ozs. Apart from being dinky they are doing great! Breathing on their own etc.
Can't believe they're here! Xx

Chuddy3 Sat 08-Feb-14 00:23:05

Next step is to prepare for lots if expressing I guess!

Chuddy3 Sat 08-Feb-14 00:20:51

Thank you so much for your replies! I think going to have a look round NICU is a great idea as no idea what to expect. Yes, they said they would give me a steroid shot should they need to deliver them. And yes IUGR is what they have written on my notes. If they are delivered before 34 weeks then they would want to do a c section. If they stay on longer will depend on how they think they'll cope. Although I would rather not have a section, this is secondary now, as their safe arrival is my priority. Hope they can stay in a bit longer, I guess all to do with how the boy's placenta holds up. So reassuring to hear positive stories and at least I have this time to prepare myself mentally. Feeling fairly calm as I know I'm in good hands (at kings) and I do appreciate that 32 weeks is not too bad. I don't really post on the forum but so pleased I have, thank you again, and will keep you updated xx

McWeedie Fri 07-Feb-14 23:05:15

Mine were born at 33 weeks, went in for normal appointment and they wouldn't let me leave. I had steroid injections and csection the next day. DD was 3.5lbs and DS was 3 lbs. They spent the first night in NICU then 2 weeks in SCBU. They didn't have any problems other than being tiny. I actually found being in SCBU a really positive experience (because they had no health issues). We were taught many aspects of baby care ie how to bathe them, change nappies, how to wind, best way to change a baby gro, massage, resucitation etc. When we left I was very confident at what I was doing. The staff were wonderful.

Best of luck, try and keep positive and calm.

Mine were born at 34 weeks (5lb5 & 5lb8) in SCBU for 2 weeks. Had steroids in time thankfully.

Good luck and keep those babies cooking.

Slebmum Fri 07-Feb-14 21:27:29

Mine were delivered at 31+3, 3lb1 and 3lb3. 6 weeks in SCBU. They had time to get the steroids in, T1 was ventilated for 12 hours, 12 hours on Capp. T2 was on Cpap only for 24 hours.

They're 2.6 now, have met all their milestones or are ahead of them. No issues at all.

I hope you keep them in as long as possible!

NoForkNKnife Fri 07-Feb-14 19:49:57

Sorry about typos! I should have read through before posting blush

NoForkNKnife Fri 07-Feb-14 19:48:01

Hi Chuddy,
Not twins I'm afraid, but my dd2 was delivered at 29 weeks for exactly the reasons you've described above.
I remember being in your position (she is 1 next month) and just not knowing what yo expect. It's good that you know there is a possibility for an eaely delivery-it was a shock to me and completely floored me. The chances are though that you may get quite a bit further yet!
Expect a lot more scans-probably at least 2 weekly (I had them daily for a week). When they get worried about the blood flow theough the cord they will probably deliver. Your twins are bigger than dd (she was 2lbs 2) but due to her teeny size I needed a section).
32 weeks is a bit of a huge milestone. So it sounds positive already.
NICU is really tough-I won't lie. But I've read lots of forums and research that seems to suggest that babies that have this issue (has anyone mentioned IUGR?) Usually do well. Dd had very few issues in NICU. She spent 8 weeks in total on the unit, but it was only because of her size. As sson as she was big enough to go in a cit (1.6kg) they discharged us.
Be prepared to be given steroids for lung development.

Everything morning has said goes too. I was able to express colostrum before delivery. Maybe ask for some syringes to collect some when you go in? It becomes quite a stress and a big deal to supply it as soon as you can. And I can imagine with twins this will be more difficult.

The very best of luck. Dd is 1 very soon and apart from being very small (3-6 mth clothes) she is completely on track so far). thanks

MorningTimes Fri 07-Feb-14 19:19:00

My twins arrived at exactly 36 weeks, so later than yours might arrive. One of them did need to spend 8 days in NICU though as he had breathing problems and needed assistance at first (he is fine now though).

My advice would be to ask if you can have a look around the neonatal unit before you have the babies, as they will probably need to spend some time there. I'd never been in until I went to visit my son. I was exhausted & emotional after the birth & it was all a lot to take in, with the machines and all the hygiene precautions. I think it would be easier if you were a bit prepared beforehand.

They were really great in neonatal though & the progress from one day to the next was amazing.

We were told to expect to stay in until what would have been the due date (the 40 weeks date) & that leaving any earlier would be a bonus.we were also given a private room & rhe hospital (one twin stayed with me) abs lots of help to express milk to send to neonatal.

Hopefully someone will more experience will be along soon. If you are given a steroid shot the day before delivery that will also make a big difference to your babies lungs and help them. I've met a few mums who had early twins & they are all going very well now. Wishing you lots of luck flowers

Chuddy3 Fri 07-Feb-14 14:25:58

Hi, I had a scan today at 31+ 6 weeks. Up until now the twins ( they are dcda b/g) have been growing on a steady path, however they have really slowed down since my last scan at 28 weeks. They are estimated to be 3 lbs 5 oz and 3 lbs 1 oz. On top of that my boy's placenta is not working as efficiently as they would like. I'm having another scan on Tuesday to see how they're growing but have accepted the fact that they will probably need to be delivered early. Just wondering what to expect if they were to be delivered next week? How long would they spend in specialcare etc. your experiences would be much appreciated x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now